Mentor teaching night buzzkill 01/26/2010 09:12 PM CST
Once again, I have to rescue this folder. So we're at the Paladin teaching thing, which are usually cool... tonight; pure stupidity.

Valynn says, "Thoughts on Oane. Discuss."
Valynn winks.
Valynn waves.
Mentor Valynn went through a black ironwood door.

It was a joke, right? Surely it was. But nooooo.

Firegard says, "A cloaked messenger says, "One Oane, formerly the official researcher for the Council, has been found guilty of treason, conspiracy to commit treason, and very likely theft. He is to be apprehended at all costs, and brought to the Guild Leaders or Council members without delay."

RPA4U.

Let Lyras win.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdaOeAxy0GU
Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 01/26/2010 09:16 PM CST
People who copy-paste stuff like that make me sad. :(

Learn to paraphrase, guys. You can't do that crap in college, don't do it here.

Rev. Reene

(Ventuul demonstrates a sneak attack to the face.)
Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 01/26/2010 09:18 PM CST
lol

- gj on taking ooc board knowledge straight into the game
- gj on not even bothering to be creative- just copy/paste
- gj with this-

You whisper to Firegard, "OOC: Man, you weren't there, that's OOC info you are pasting in there from the forums. There's a reason I'm doing what I am."

Firegard whispers, "well, since Valynn dropped in and told us to DISCUSS I thought it was alright... plus the messenger said he was going to other guilds too. I'll let it go"

Thank you, Firegard, for being a gossip queen who couldn't even wait until the paladin meet to talk about things your character has no clue about

Again I know it's exciting, but really? Come on.

-Mr. Glemm

ps: i pasted an IM from kattena against her wishes simply because I thought this was so extremely lame, sorry kattena, but it had to be done
Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 01/26/2010 11:11 PM CST
Is it just me, or are there a handful of board regulars who post as if every board is Conflicts Light? Maybe I'm just drunk...

-
Madigan, Thoumas, Jycanth, Mordibar, Kalnean, Stoneheart, Rallyne, Firegard, Liurilias, and Valynn glance over at you as you reach for XXX's pockets.
Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 01/27/2010 05:01 AM CST
Maybe it's just me, but when I opened this thread, I'm pretty sure it was in the conflicts folder.

~Kattena

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 01/27/2010 05:11 AM CST
Kattena, please keep your logic out of this.

__
Join us in sharing information!
http://community.livejournal.com/drbookoftales/
View my RPnerderiffic IC journal here!
http://ysselt-dr.livejournal.com/

It will cost you 248 TDPs to raise your Charisma from 99 to 100
Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 01/27/2010 06:18 AM CST
Ugh...you are right. This is not the logic folder.

Carry on.

~Kattena

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin! U
Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 01/27/2010 11:41 AM CST
Quit being so derned demanding of OOC and IC "lines" You are drawing lines that end up alienating good roleplay instead of encouraging it. Spare the rod a little bit...

Oh and Mentor meetings/teaching nights are OOC... if you must draw the line. Advice on gameplay and how the mechanisms of it work are often discussed and questions in regards to such are expected... as well as other question topics extending to current RP events.

Apply your IC/OOC standards when more applicable.

Salutes to Glemm and the others who help educate the masses on current events on the boards... I myself apply stuff from the boards into my IC life, though I do attempt to build IC reasons for my learnings... when I feel it nessicary.

>Phandanqwz bows his head, preparing himself to bring forth the holy incantation, "Smite Fool."
>Phandanqwz gestures at you.
Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 01/27/2010 11:54 AM CST
You know what, I'd agree with you Phand if this was a mentor/teaching night issue that was brought up. It wasn't. I know mentor nights go OOC frequently to discuss mechanics and training, it's expected. That's not what happened here.

Quite frankly, the mere fact that the subject was brought up at all derailed the intent of a mentor teaching night. Wasn't exactly what Redarch and Granyt were expecting, I don't think.

Valynn made her mention and left. Redarch steered the conversation (deliberately or not, I'm not sure) to holy weapons, icons, etc. Firegard dropped that little bomb which was, quite honestly, irrelevant and obviously unexpected.

I've had quite a few people seek me out in game and make an excellent effort at obtaining this same information IC that we all know is available on the boards. Not one of them resorted to the copy/paste technique of pushing the issue. It just wasn't necessary.

~Kattena

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 01/27/2010 12:09 PM CST
<<Oh and Mentor meetings/teaching nights are OOC

If those are OOC, it should clearly say so in the paragraph of Paladin clank-laugh-clank text announcing it IG/IC.

... Wait for it ...

It's supposed to be IC.

<<>Phandanqwz bows his head, preparing himself to bring forth the holy incantation, "Smite Fool."
<<>Phandanqwz gestures at you.

A brief crackling comes from Phandanqwz direction.

Let Lyras win.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdaOeAxy0GU
Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 01/27/2010 12:34 PM CST
<<Quit being so derned demanding of OOC and IC "lines" You are drawing lines that end up alienating good roleplay instead of encouraging it. Spare the rod a little bit...>>

You have to draw the line somewhere. Copying and pasting stuff from the boards directly into the game is not "good roleplay". It's bad roleplay (if you want to consider it roleplay at all).

Half the reason this paladin meeting makes sense is that it gives the guild "firsthand" (for the characters) knowledge of what's going on, which allows their actions to *make sense* when it comes to them applying that knowledge in the game.

I'm not a RP nazi by any means, but copying and pasting stuff verbatum that was posted for you, the players, knowledge on the DR message board is beyond bad RP, it's tacky.

Furthermore, expecting someone who was involved with the event IG to elaborate on that OOC behavior like it's ok is wrong. If you want to have a gathering with your friends and talk about stuff on the boards, that's totally cool. Just expect people who were involved with the event to roll with it when you're throwing RP to the wind for the sake of "good rp".

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 01/27/2010 12:43 PM CST
Heh I knew someone would backfire me.

Too bad you're wrong. The whole idea behind the mentor program is to help adventurers with both IC and OOC issues related to the game. The mere mention of Mentor in an event title should tell you its a "Light RP" enviroment... unless stated to be an IC event... I am not certain but I believe that is the guideline they abide by. If not... Paladin teaching nights have always had OOC comments going on during them... I've been to them... they tend to flow in and out as dictated by the subject and demeanor of those in attendance. Thus the "Light RP"

You shouldn't attempt to throw it back at me... unless you think it through first... but points for trying.

Yeah it was in bad taste for a mentor to walk in and then walk out like that... agreed. Not really sure of the intent... likely was just personal curiosity that got the best of them. Not so much an issue of RPing though just bad form in general.
Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 01/27/2010 12:45 PM CST
Meh, I suspect that at the minimum the "rumor" of what happened spread fast. I also suspect that message was delivered to every guildhall. Yeah, some better RP would have been to paraphrase the communication of the messenger, but that is a bit too nit-picky for my personal tastes.

You can take this to the ultimate conclusion of (i) geez Madigan, why are you asking for a guild meeting to discuss it, you weren't there so how would you know? or (ii) no one should know because it was me and the three other people that heard about it...therefor no one else can talk about it.

In short, my take is lay off the guy. A paladin RP event is a rare thing, and I am sure folks are just excited. I know I am. I am more a fan of getting people involved in any manner possible within reason. If that forum is talking about it at mentor teaching night, then so be it in my view.

Much love and respect for you all. Just giving you my take.

Madigan

"le rage du paladine" Korsik
Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 01/27/2010 12:52 PM CST
I don't know who these replies are being directed at. Madigan, I'm quoting you because it was the most recent, but Phand said something similar, in a round about way:

>>You can take this to the ultimate conclusion of (i) geez Madigan, why are you asking for a guild meeting to discuss it, you weren't there so how would you know? or (ii) no one should know because it was me and the three other people that heard about it...therefor no one else can talk about it.

I was pretty clear in my response post that I was merely referring to this being handled in a better way. I know darned well that all players who bother to read the boards know about what happened. There are players that can tell you (general) that I have been more than happy to sit down and discuss the events in relative detail.

Handle it better, that's all I ask. Quite frankly I was a bit surprised and had trouble figuring out how to respond to that.

~Kattena

Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 01/27/2010 01:02 PM CST
think we are just commenting now... not so much conflicting... guess I should stop posting... no wait...

nyah, nyah! (post now allowed)
Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 01/27/2010 01:16 PM CST
That was a totally lame attempt at making this a conflict. You lose.

:P

~Kattena

Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 01/27/2010 01:30 PM CST
<<Too bad you're wrong. The whole idea behind the mentor program is to help adventurers with both IC and OOC issues related to the game. The mere mention of Mentor in an event title should tell you its a "Light RP" enviroment>>

It's a paladin social night. The fact that the mentors are holding it doesn't give license to 100+ circle players to treat it like an OOC symposium.

<<unless stated to be an IC event>>

Are we now treating events in DR as OOC events unless stated as such?

<<Paladin teaching nights have always had OOC comments going on during them>>

Right, by people who don't understand mechanics or want to know the best way to train a certain skill. Not by established "leaders" copying and pasting from a message board post because they're too lazy to verbalize the message themselves.

<<You shouldn't attempt to throw it back at me... unless you think it through first... but points for trying.>>

I'll "throw it back at you" (also known as disagreeing) when you defend something not worth defending.

You've been batting an absolute zero on these boards lately, Phand. Take a step back and reassess the situation, because you haven't been coming up on top, and your thoughts on this subject don't look like that's going to change.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 01/27/2010 01:36 PM CST
I was always told mentor socials are meant to be IC unless otherwise stated, frankly.

If that is not the case they really need to be marked differently.

And no, Phand, copy/pasting crap is not good roleplay, it's just being an idiot. So is taking stuff from the boards and incorporating it IG without a good reason for doing so. Learn to separate.

Rev. Reene

Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 01/27/2010 01:43 PM CST
>>I was always told mentor socials are meant to be IC unless otherwise stated, frankly.

I always assumed this was the case as well, solely based on the "Upstanding Citizen Teaching Night". If it was OOC why bother masking it? Just call it Thief Teaching Night. IMO everything in prime should be done at least IG unless it's in whispers or behind closed doors.
Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 01/27/2010 09:30 PM CST
I hardly ever read these boards, but was directed this way by a friend.

First off, my apologies if I ruined your teaching night experience. That was not the intent at all. My intent was to stimulate conversation regarding the event because I know the potential importance of the plot line to the paladin guild.

Young players come to teaching night to learn about being a better paladin, ranger, empath, what-have-you. Part of that guild immersion is participation in events. What better place to disseminate that type of information than at a teaching night. Where else will newer players get that information in an IC'ish fashion? Generally they aren't going to be traveling all over Elanthia.

We frequently talk about events at Ranger Teaching night. I bring up events because I want people to be involved in the RP. In this particular case, Val actually has IG/IC knowledge of what's going on because she hangs out with Madigan and other people who are involved.

Again, sorry I spoiled your time. Won't happen again.

~V

___

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition."

- Henry V, William Shakespeare
Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 01/27/2010 10:04 PM CST
Valynn, you didn't ruin anything. Honestly, I wasn't sure if you were joking or not, but that doesn't really matter. It was how it was handled after the fact that I had a problem with. The topic could have been discussed without issue, in my opinion.

~Kattena

Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 01/28/2010 12:09 AM CST
With the points made... I was incorrect about teaching nights. I tend to feel majority rules... I was also grouping Novice Nights and Teaching Nights together... which is a mistake. I can see how Mentor events can have people in attendance with IC expectations of others since it seems to be the "norm" from comments made. I had thought and experienced otherwise in the past... and using my own experiences as basis for my position on the matter seems faulty in this thread.

Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 01/28/2010 12:14 AM CST
I'm actually really interested in an official word on that. If they're meant to be OOC, whatever. If they're meant to be IC some of them are falling way way short of that goal.

I mean I understand newbies you have to make concessions but I also think that kind of setting is a great place to teach them how and when it is appropriate to break character and start building good habits right off the bat.

Rev. Reene

Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 02/02/2010 08:43 PM CST
Speaking of OOC, just saw this, hahah:

XXXX says, "As you focus your magical senses on the panther totem, you feel a nagging sense of unease, as if Damaris were paying very close attention to this very object. You also sense that the totem is connected to you on a very fundamental level."

>winc
You wince.
Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 02/13/2010 12:15 AM CST
I am afraid because the poster that makes the most sense to me these days is Glemm.

And despite his sensicalness, it amazes me that people try to argue with him tooth and nail. It says a lot about the mentality of these boards lately.

I am all about being gentle with people who are at least trying to RP, but I think that copy/pasted messenger statement was poorly done. I console myself by knowing that the faux pauser in question was hopefully just confused as to the context of the meeting.

-Meanne
Re: Mentor teaching night buzzkill 02/13/2010 06:38 AM CST
I'm the lone bastion of sanity on these boards. Don't cling to me too tightly or I'll drown trying to keep all of us afloat.

-Mr. Glemm