Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Kolaisa 09/11/2005 05:01 PM CDT
>If you really want to Slaris, I guess. You have no chance at all if you are lower than Kola though as he has no chance at all melee.

Death is meaningless in this game. Why in the world would I care? I do not choose fights, or 'find' conflicts with only those I can surehandedly win against. I conflict with anyone and everyone over anything. :D

Wether through consent design or absolute wimps playing, all I've met in the past few weeks is a bunch of reporting, crying at the keyboard, living in momma's basement little chumps in my conflicts, save for 1. <3 Rantius. Owned and he knew it.

-Slaris
Re: Kolaisa 09/11/2005 05:07 PM CDT
Sslad, you barely have over 200 ME so slow your role tough guy. The only time you ever engage me is while I hunt because God forbid I have buffs up and glyphs against your cookies. Even at that point, let's take a look at the last time you tried to stab:

Ssladron leaps from hiding and ambushes you, completely surprising you.
* Driving in like the irresistable force of a cyclone, Ssladron thrusts a sabre at you. You block with an enameled tower shield painted with the Therengian royal crest.
[You're invigorated, solidly balanced and in better position.]
>
Ssladron retreats from you.
>
Ssladron retreats from you.
>
Ssladron begins to advance on you!
Ssladron is still a distance away from you and is closing steadily.
>
You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.
>search
You search around for a moment.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
You notice Ssladron who is quite obviously attempting to remain hidden.
R>
Out of the corner of your eye, you notice Ssladron trying to sneak south.

Note the complete surprised part and the failed attempt. Way to run away like the little girl you are. Best part about this is that it comes after a point where you had to have a friend kill me and then as I'm in rt from being raised you WARN INTERACT me and proceed to land a grazing hit. You're a little kid who doesn't have the guts to fight me like a man. Slaris would wipe the floor with you as I have in the past even though you have 20 circles on him. You're a cookie cutter thief with garbage combats. Shut your mouth and go home.

Kolaisa

Bar maids and beauties
Re: Kolaisa 09/11/2005 06:35 PM CDT
<<If you can't handle being stolen from, then don't play a trader. Actually, if you can't handle people roleplaying a different way than you want them to, then don't play at all.

I don't actually have a problem dealing with thieves. While I don't normally play my trader, before I pulled him out of retirement, I made a couple realizations and rationalizations. What they boil down to is that Thieves Happen. My normal practice is to simply move on. If I catch one in my pockets, I accuse them, otherwise I don't worry about it, usually I won't even bother to pause my trading script. If I find I'm being stalked, I'll deal with it, otherwise, it simply isn't worth it to me to stop and respond. In addition, I act to limit my exposure. By carrying large amounts of coppers and bronzes, keeping an open gem pouch etc. (Although amazingly enough I tend to have trouble keeping it full of worthless gems)

What I found upseting, and indeed surprising, was not being stolen from, it was the tag teaming involved. The halt, the laughing at my helplessness as you stole from me 3 or 4 times. Even more disturbing from my traders point of view, was the threats afterwards to hunt me down and kill me for having successfuly accused one of those involved. And the others who told me that Kolaisa has a habit of attacking and killing people for no justifiable reason.

<<By the way, I'm not his girlfriend. I'm one of his business partners.

My mistake, please pardon my presumption.

<<AT ANY TIME I am not having fun roleplaying with the character, or if my player feels threatened during the course of interaction, I use the WARN verb.

Forgive my cutting and pasting of posts, but there were a lot to read, and trying to respond to them individually seems less then optimal.

After speaking with a GM about the situation, I was told about the warn verb. I'm not a person that normally conflicts with anyone. Prior to yesterday I can honestly say I have never even heard of the Warn verb. Now that I have, should Kolaisa appear, or indeed anyone else who seems to want to assault or harrass my trader, I'll will use warn. (Note normal stealing obviously does not fall into this catagory)

<<And 'what the hell' wasn't the profanity Kolaisa was accusing you of. I believe it was a word that nicely described the certain anatomy of a male. It certainly made me blush.

I seriously doubt it made you blush. However you are correct it was inappropriate, and while it wasn't specifically directed at you, I apologize to you as well. Warn would have been a more appropriate response, however as I stated above, I didn't actually know of this option until I spoke with a GM about the situation.

Mole
_______
At 1.0000001 with the Universe
Re: Kolaisa 09/11/2005 06:50 PM CDT
I dont see any roleplay there by anyone, merchant or ambushers. All I see is some mechanics taking place. Lack of roleplaying I think is a correct term. To compare the ambush as a roleplayed Robin hood scenairo is reaching to an extreme.

Jim
Re: Kolaisa 09/11/2005 06:51 PM CDT
<<<And the others who told me that Kolaisa has a habit of attacking and killing people for no justifiable reason.>>>

I always have a reason. Mostly because they pissed me off.

<<<I seriously doubt it made you blush. However you are correct it was inappropriate, and while it wasn't specifically directed at you, I apologize to you as well. Warn would have been a more appropriate response, however as I stated above, I didn't actually know of this option until I spoke with a GM about the situation.>>>

Blah blah blah. You knew exactly what you said and such an insult can be seen as consent. Yes warn is a better option as we would most likely have stopped and let you alone. You had to turn it into a huge ordeal because you were too busy feeling sorry for yourself. Now that you are less ignorant as to game mechanics, you can WARN. Yay.

Kolaisa

Bar maids and beauties
Re: Kolaisa 09/11/2005 06:54 PM CDT
They were taxing him, which would have been said but he decided to unleash some profanity upon us first. We were too busy laughing.

Kolaisa

Bar maids and beauties
Re: Kolaisa 09/11/2005 07:27 PM CDT
Just as a sidenote since we have entered into a "relieving oneself" match about RP.

That was some gteat RP in Theren Kolaisa.. like when each body part was systematically removed by a certain moon mage. Just astuounding how ya drifted there responding in that uncanny stoic manner.... or maybe you were busy doing what? IMing for help? Maybe occupying another form?

Seems the game of it is only fun when you can do the harrassing and post it later eh? Probably qualifies as against policy type harrassment considering the purpose of the action involved and subsequent behaviours.

Dance the policy, dance the policy.
Re: Kolaisa 09/11/2005 07:38 PM CDT
what? You're being very vauge. Many a moon mage have torn my limbs off. Tenion being the last but I don't think you are refering to that.

Kolaisa

Bar maids and beauties
Re: Kolaisa 09/11/2005 07:51 PM CDT
But of course..... Tenion RPed. What was your issue?
Re: Kolaisa 09/11/2005 08:30 PM CDT
Hoooookay, looney tune.
Re: Kolaisa 09/11/2005 09:07 PM CDT
<<Roleplaying is really only valid if both parties are enjoying the experience.>>

This is the stupidiest statement I've ever read on these message boards.

Ever.
Re: Kolaisa 09/11/2005 09:45 PM CDT
Change parties into players, not characters.

So I asked this God a question
and by way of firm reply,
He said: "I'm not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays".
Re: Kolaisa 09/11/2005 09:48 PM CDT
<<This is the stupidiest statement I've ever read on these message boards.>>

Well, read it again.

The important part of roleplay is that both PLAYERS are enjoying the experience. It's a game. If you're not enjoying your experience while playing the game, you need to find something else to do.

That doesn't mean that both CHARACTERS have to be enjoying it. I can have a lot of fun while my character is miserable, and in fact I've done so in the past. It's very possible to enjoy a tragic movie, too.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

"Is glas iad na cnoic i bhfad uainn."
-Distant hills look green.
Re: Kolaisa 09/11/2005 10:02 PM CDT
>>The important part of roleplay is that both PLAYERS are enjoying the experience

False

>>It's a game. If you're not enjoying your experience while playing the game, you need to find something else to do.

True

The responsibility of enjoyment is on the player alone. I can't be expected to find an RP that is suitable with every person I meet. While I may not mind getting stolen from, another player might. Neither situation makes theft more or less of a suitable RP choice.

-Wighten
Re: Kolaisa 09/11/2005 10:13 PM CDT
No, it is true..

It's sorta common courtesy. If you see the -player- is obviously not enjoying the interaction (that is, he breaks out of character,) then it really is your responsibility to walk away. If you don't walk away from it, you've obviously stopped roleplaying, since.. you're interacting with someone out of character, and, especially in this case, taking pleasure in their displeasure.

Yes, there are exceptions, and this isn't at all an absolute rule.. But common courtesy, if the player's having issues, step away. Don't have to give the money back, don't have to do anything for them, don't even have to say sorry. But staying, and continuing to bother them just.. doesn't really make sense.

Re: Kolaisa 09/11/2005 10:21 PM CDT
<<Neither situation makes theft more or less of a suitable RP choice.>>

Stealing from someone and then leaving isn't RP, it's mechanics. NOTE--if you then, say, go to your thieves' den and brag about how easy that last mark was, and count your coin... That would be RP, but not with the victim.

Having a paladin halt somebody and all his friends steal from that person without saying much besides "no mana" is not RP, it's harassment and snerthood.

The problem here is that Kolaisa and his companions are using "we were just roleplaying!" as a defense for their harassment. In fact, I think there was a comparison to Robin Hood made. If they made any effort to engage... Let's say...

Kolaisa halts RandomTrader.
Kolaisa exclaims, "You are passing through the territory of Kolaisa's Brotherhood! You must pay a toll of five platinum kronars--or whatever you happen to have in your pockets!"
Kolaisa's thief buddies steal from RandomTrader.
RandomTrader exclaims, "You won't get away with this!"
Kolaisa says, "Oh, but I already have. Take a swing at me if you have a problem with that, but I wouldn't suggest it."
RandomTrader asks, "But aren't you a paladin!? Why are you doing this!?"
Kolaisa says, "I have my reasons, and I won't have you judging me, filthy moneychanger."

That would be roleplaying. And RandomTrader could get quite a bit of enjoyment and excitement out of this whole encounter. That's very different from...

Kolaisa halts RandomTrader.
Kolaisa's thief buddies steal from RandomTrader.
Kolaisa says, "no mana"
RandomTrader asks, "What the hell?"
Kolaisa and company ignore RandomTrader.

In which no attempt at engagement was made whatsoever. No attempt was made to turn this into anything more than a conspired mechanics-based coin grab for profit.

Even in most muggings in that unspeakable place known as the Real World, the mugger will actually say something to the victim--not essentially pretend that they don't exist after the money has been taken.

PS: I'm really sick of this attitude that "roleplaying evil = committing random acts of chaotic unlawfulness against strangers for no reason"... Real evil is much more insidious than that.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

Re: Kolaisa 09/11/2005 10:58 PM CDT
>>Stealing from someone and then leaving isn't RP, it's mechanics

Mechanics huh? What's your rationale for that?

-Wighten
Re: Kolaisa 09/11/2005 11:20 PM CDT
>>If you really want to Slaris, I guess. You have no chance at all if you are lower than Kola though as he has no chance at all melee.

Because you can use khri in the pit.

I am --- Navak
Re: Kolaisa 09/12/2005 12:31 AM CDT
Actually I found the entire situation highly amusing... there are many different ways to RP being stolen from without getting vulgar or attacking them... or using accuse for that matter.

Try using words

Besides, You're a trader... it is your entire life to get stolen from.

Evasion Junkie Algion
Re: Kolaisa 09/12/2005 12:33 AM CDT
I still owe you 2 gold and a handful of stones Kolabear. It is amazing to me the sheer number of "sleeping traders" that roam these lands.

~Harlet~
Re: Kolaisa 09/12/2005 12:36 AM CDT
Also you can do what I have seen alot of people doing recently... ask a thief to go with you and guard you on your routes... give them a cut of the profits and such and some will agree to go... the thief thugs are much much worse than the trader ones.

Evasion Junkie Algion
Re: Kolaisa 09/12/2005 12:44 AM CDT
Why would thief thugs care as long as a non thief was not stealing from a thief?

Love me or Hate me, you will never forget me.
Re: Kolaisa 09/12/2005 12:47 AM CDT
<<Mechanics huh? What's your rationale for that?>>

Because there was no character interaction whatsoever. It may well be in-character (in fact, it would be for most thieves), but it's not RP.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

Re: Kolaisa 09/12/2005 12:59 AM CDT
>>It may well be in-character, but it's not RP.

Am I the only person that has a problem with that line?

-Wighten
Re: Kolaisa 09/12/2005 01:09 AM CDT
He's using RP as the verb(ish) form.

ie, to Roleplay, as in, to be role playing. Where as you're taking it to mean, to be playing a role.

Re: Kolaisa 09/12/2005 01:16 AM CDT
Ok.. so he's saying..

to be role playing

and I'm saying..

to be playing a role

Alright... it all makes sense now. Good thing you added the word 'a'.

-Wighten
Re: Kolaisa 09/12/2005 01:49 AM CDT
I was using "roleplay" as an active verb. If I am doing something that involves characters interacting in an in-character manner, that is roleplaying. If I am hunting, I am not roleplaying, even if it would be completely in-character for Ahmir to be hunting--because nobody is there to interact with. If somebody comes by and we start talking while I am hunting, then I am roleplaying.

Perhaps I have my own Dio-like crazy definition.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

Re: Kolaisa 09/12/2005 04:40 AM CDT
>Am I the only person that has a problem with that line?

I understand the difference he's trying to point out. Syler made a nice post on it, and in my mind has it pegged.

Redardless of the hair-splitting on a definition, there is no rule that states Paladins cannot be motivated by greed. There is a test on a certain glyph quest that indicates otherwise, however that is the only IG evidence to the contrary I know of.
Re: Kolaisa 09/12/2005 06:54 AM CDT
<<Redardless of the hair-splitting on a definition, there is no rule that states Paladins cannot be motivated by greed. There is a test on a certain glyph quest that indicates otherwise, however that is the only IG evidence to the contrary I know of.>>

I'd love to see DR paladins get the ability to follow dark gods and be, well, the other brand of paladin, without necessarily tanking their soul state. And it's not so bad if a paladin chooses to RP that way even now.

I just hope that, if people are going to act in an aggressive way towards one another, they actually put a bit of effort into making it seem less like antisocial grief tactics and more like valid roleplay.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

Re: Kolaisa 09/12/2005 08:45 AM CDT
For a different perspective....

If the trader never says a word, moves on and follows that with reporting the caught thieves to the outpost, that is roleplay?

Yes, there is a distinction between playing a role and a specific situation that could be considering a role played scenario.

To simply use the mechanic of theft over and over and rarely expand upon that is pretty remedial in application.

As much as I may or may not like Ragran at least he has developed a persona along with the activities involved. Doesn't mean he has to chat it up at the activity, but he certainly doesn't shy away from doing so at a later time.

In that he provides the victim the oppurtunity to engage in a role played scenario. In many ways he is the planner and coordinator initially of the action.

From what I read of the log, the concept of scenario is pretty much lost. From what I can tell of responses, it seems to be lost all the time on that bunch.

As I pointed out about Kolaisa.... even when caught and cornered which would be prime time for a little talking and yukking it up and playing the role... we find he was completely incapable of doing so. The character Kolaisa just isn't interesting in the least.

Is this an RP statemtnt and a way to base a character ......

Since I know alot of traders are afk I will be the thief that steals from them at every oppurtunity.
Re: Kolaisa 09/12/2005 08:53 AM CDT

How is that skirting the rules? And as far as roleplaying the thief. By your definition, it's almost impossible to roleplay a thief. I'm supposed to try to make every person feel happy that I just stole from them?

hehehehe.

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: Kolaisa 09/12/2005 08:54 AM CDT
>Kolaisa
>Ragran

I sense some frustration only a cheap hotel room and an ample supply of alcohol can cure.

No logs please.
Re: Kolaisa 09/12/2005 09:03 AM CDT
Welp, that pretty much turned the spotlignt on the whole thing.
Re: Kolaisa 09/12/2005 09:28 AM CDT
>First of all it deters from my RP when everyone gets snuggly with me.

[insert new macro keys]
F1 = \xhug ragran\rflirt ragran\rsmooch ragran\r
Re: Kolaisa 09/12/2005 09:32 AM CDT
<scowl>
Re: Kolaisa 09/12/2005 09:54 AM CDT
> it was the tag teaming involved. The halt, the laughing at my helplessness as you stole from me 3 or 4 times. Even more disturbing from my traders point of view, was the threats afterwards to hunt me down and kill me for having successfuly accused one of those involved.

Yes, well, pretty much you have one option ... log. You caravan will sit there for a while and they can't kill it, thankfully. If you have a secondary chara, which you do, go and feed the thing until they get tired of playing snert. <shrug>

Unfortunately DR is run under the golden rule, or he who has the gold, makes the rules. Although in this case its circles.

>It is amazing to me the sheer number of "sleeping traders" that roam these lands.

Personally, I don't have a problem with this, as long as its not halt someone and clean them out while they're screaming. Sure, go ahead and clean out the sleepers. Its the ones who don't quit when caught, but instead sit there and keep stealing that I'll just log. Yes, you have the right to keep stealing from someone even while they're screaming their fool head off. Yes, you have the right to follow someone around and steal from them over and over and over again as long as they're well under your circle. However, I can still log.

Ultimately, though, in DR just like in any other MUD or MUSH or chat room or anywhere else on-line, the only real defense against harassment is to leave. That's just the nature of the beast. I just wonder though what people get out of harassing others into logging as the only defense. Doesn't seem much like role playing to me.
Re: Kolaisa ::Thread Over:: 09/12/2005 09:54 AM CDT
Gang,

This thread is over.

Annwyl
Senior Board Monitor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing Senior Board Monitor DR-Annwyl@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor DR-Cecco@play.net.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page