Re: Lecture 4: The Light and the Dark 07/20/2004 11:28 PM CDT
>Brittany,

>When something has been argued to the point where everyone knows precisely how such an argument will go the next time it is brought up, it is officially not worth dealing with. We all know you think Paladins need to be perfect little brightly-shining candles in the night. Great. Awesome.

>We don't need another 300-post thread in which you say that 150 times and are told that you are wrong 150 times. Is that understandable?

yes but at the same time we do have to listen to the one or two minority of Paladins who wanna be barbs in plate or 'quote' wana play bad boys make a big noise to make out that the whole guild is crying for freedom to rp themselfs in a manor that allows them to run amok. Ahm sorry for you that the rest of the guild wants to be nice peoples and be brightly shining candles in the night. We do, and i dont care what you say, I Ahm not embarrased to say i want to lead by example and not be a litttle (Insert something that i probably cant say)

And quite frankly its getting old that the minority that dont want to be real paladins want to make the most noise. Hell sorry dude but ahm proud that folks smile when i walk into the room, and not go 'oh god its that crap head paladin who thinks he is a barb but is a paladin cause of the nifty armor lerks'

Holy Guardian Michael Tristramm of the Rathan Fencible Regiment

Need forged plate armor?
http://webpages.charter.net/lauren859/armor
Re: Lecture 4: The Light and the Dark 07/21/2004 02:17 PM CDT
I'm so not getting into this. All points have been made a thousand times over, and this will just end up being yet another excercise in futility.

For what it's worth, Drongol is not what I would consider to be a "Dark Paladin." I would not want to roleplay a "Dark Paladin." Nevertheless, I feel that it is important that people be allowed to roleplay a "Dark Paladin" and would love to see some support for them. Evidently Solomon agrees with me, although Brittany and Michael's Current Player do not, amongst others.

I find it rather ironic that my viewpoint is declared "close-minded" by my detractors, whereas those seeking to eliminate possible venues of roleplay consider themselves to be "open-minded." Nevertheless, this is hardly worth the amount of time I am putting into this message, let alone continuing on with some course of a bajillion posts saying "You're an idiot" back and forth.

We all know where we all stand. Why go over it again?

Drongol's Player

PC also stands for "Paying Customer."
Re: Lecture 4: The Light and the Dark 07/21/2004 03:03 PM CDT
The only thing "Dark" about Drongol is that dark rain cloud that is consumately over his head. The first time I ever met Drongol in the guild I tried talking to him, and the remarks I got almost made me leave...that was right up to the point where I realized he was playing a disgruntled Dwarf to near perfection. I consider Drongol an exceptional RP'er.

All that aside, I love being a "light" Paladin, I love the fact that people know who I am, smile when I walk into a room, will walk by, and come back if they see me just to give me a hug...I wouldnt give any of it up for anything. Dark Paladins, if allowed, should be a "sect", and they should be stripped of all Light given Godly abilities, and empowered by the Dark Godly privledges...and other then that...if your good enough at RPing, it really doesnt matter what god you follow...it will just make sense.

Konnor

"This may be a Fantasy world, but it sure isnt UTOPIA." - Konnor
Re: Lecture 4: The Light and the Dark 07/21/2004 08:45 PM CDT
<<You, know it dosn't have to be that way. You tend to throw alot of those "you're an idiot" posts, yourself.>>

Hence my use of the term "back and forth."

<<How do you think I've learned to get along ,within the bounds of reason, with you...>>

I just laugh. That's how I deal with you. Laugh.

Drongol's Player

PC also stands for "Paying Customer."
Re: Lecture 4: The Light and the Dark 07/21/2004 11:30 PM CDT
<<but ahm proud that folks smile when i walk into the room, and not go 'oh god its that crap head paladin who thinks he is a barb but is a paladin cause of the nifty armor lerks'>>

Is it that, or do they smile at Kick me sign I slapped on your back three months ago that you havn't noticed yet?

Leucius

Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Re: Lecture 4: The Light and the Dark 07/22/2004 12:59 AM CDT
<<I find it rather ironic that my viewpoint is declared "close-minded" by my detractors, whereas those seeking to eliminate possible venues of roleplay consider themselves to be "open-minded.">>

Sadly such is the way of the world.

However I'm currently in Europe (damn German keyboard is driving me nuts!) so my world is a little nicer...

--Just a "clueless" Squire

Now I lay me down to sleep;
I pray Solomon my soul to keep.
If I should walk before I wake;
I pray that Simutronics a restore will make.
Re: Lecture 4: The Light and the Dark 07/23/2004 07:14 AM CDT
>Hell sorry dude but ahm proud that folks smile when i walk into the room, and not go 'oh god its that crap head paladin who thinks he is a barb but is a paladin cause of the nifty armor lerks'

I like Michael, I like the player. I choose not to play a happy pinnacle of brightness. I choose to bend the rules. I choose to use violence instead of tact. I choose to train a tin can barb. I rather like being that 'crap head' Paladin that people taunt, provoke, and test mettle against -- its so much more fun than the expected, boring proper salutations, and age old conversation.

On the boards we should all try to get along, in the game we should all forget about the boards.
Re: Lecture 4: The Light and the Dark 07/23/2004 10:02 AM CDT
I do believe dark paladins exist and they will.

Question is in times of conflict, how far are our characters willing to go, to right the wrongs? I think that is the key issue that determines the path chosen.

Choosing a darker path does not mean they are bad, it is just a different way in recifying justice. Both go hand in hand. I do believe in order to choose a darker path it comes to a breaking point, that point makes you decide which path your character will take.

Off topic, but I am curious on the responses:
If your Paladin had to run and choose not to fight to protect someone, does that make them a coward and not the upstanding Paladin?

Player of Divy

Eoworfinia says, "I'm just along ta keep her out of trouble mind ya"
You ask, "when do I ever get in trouble?"
Eoworfinia asks, "when you are with me?"
Sidune laughs softly.
Re: Lecture 4: The Light and the Dark 07/23/2004 10:43 AM CDT
>If your Paladin had to run and choose not to fight to protect someone, does that make them a coward and not the upstanding Paladin?

Are you talking in an RP sense or a policy sense? Because this is more often then not where IC and OOC seem to clash together.

A Paladin is supposed to be a protector right? But can they really? I guess they could use Protect and babysit another player but that doesn't seem very viable does it? Everyone has different schedules.

If there is a conflict going on where one person has been victimized by another, there is very little a paladin or anyone else for that matter can do to intervene on the behalf of the victim without breaching policy.

Solution: Holy Order: a GM approved group that could act on the behalf of victims and would be subject to giving reports of their interventions. If anyone in this group were to abuse the authority given to them then they would be stripped of Holy Order status. So group members would have to be very confident about their actions in regards to any situation they might become involved in.

Relayer

http://darkanvil.bravepages.com/Index.html

You can fight
Without ever winning
But never ever win
Without a fight
Re: Lecture 4: The Light and the Dark 07/23/2004 11:02 AM CDT
No not Policy sense. It is actually not relevant to player not character conflicts. That is another story all all together, but one my character won't run away from to get her stuff back.

This is relevant to a little event, so RP wise. Reason I am curious on responses.

Player of
Re: Lecture 4: The Light and the Dark 07/23/2004 11:13 AM CDT
>No not Policy sense. It is actually not relevant to player not character conflicts. That is another story all all together, but one my character won't run away from to get her stuff back.

I guess it depends on the circumstances involved. Is the stuff she wants to get back worth all the trouble? Is it just a matter of principle? It really comes down to the individual to evaluate what is important to them and what anyone else thinks is really irrelevant.

Relayer

http://darkanvil.bravepages.com/Index.html

You can fight
Without ever winning
But never ever win
Without a fight
Re: Lecture 4: The Light and the Dark 07/23/2004 11:26 AM CDT
To her it is the principle of the matter. That is all it ever is about with her truthfully.

It is worth it to her to bring a point across. She knows that others as well loose their stuff when they die, so she has to stand up given this occured to her. If she were to back off, it would send a message that it's okay to rob others including herself. That she can't allow.

Player of
Re: Lecture 4: The Light and the Dark 07/23/2004 03:42 PM CDT
>If your Paladin had to run and choose not to fight to protect someone, does that make them a coward and not the upstanding Paladin?

Slaris' response: You should only show your ass to your opponent after you've won, or when they roll your carcass over to clean up the mess.
Marc's response: There can be strategy in retreat.
Re: Lecture 4: The Light and the Dark 08/19/2004 03:29 PM CDT
>>Off topic, but I am curious on the responses:
If your Paladin had to run and choose not to fight to protect someone, does that make them a coward and not the upstanding Paladin?

My theory on this has been: IC if I am going to protect, say a Damsel in distress from, oh, a ranger who is 80th circle...Does my character know from looking at this ranger that he could wipe the floor with me? Probably not. I have no way of seeing his skill IC unless I A: know him or of him/her B: Have already seen him/her in action. A 20th circle 8ft Tog is probably going to look the same as a 50th circle 8 ft Tog.

Otherwise he/she is just another warrior standing in front of me, pissing me off. I'm diving in. I think I can take him. Prove me wrong. ::shrug:: Just how I played my paladin IC.

~Player behind Soleran

Trebek: The answer is: "Popeye is this sort of man".

Trebek: Sean Connery. And, remember, these are words that begin with the letter "S", not "Swords".

Sean Connery: Sabre!
Re: Lecture 4: The Light and the Dark 08/19/2004 03:40 PM CDT
<<If your Paladin had to run and choose not to fight to protect someone, does that make them a coward and not the upstanding Paladin?>>

Turn your tail, and run away:
Live to fight another day.

I know how people fight by reputation. Word gets around.

Sanya

I was taking a walk in the park when this post said I stole its purse. I tried to get away, but it just kept on coming. So I had to beat it to death with this purse I found.
-MOD-ILEDEMUS

Re: Lecture 4: The Light and the Dark 08/19/2004 03:50 PM CDT
>>I know how people fight by reputation. Word gets around.

Unless your character is somewhat of a hermit, which mine has been for pretty much his entire life.

Sure I know about them because of my other characters, but HE doesn't know them.

~Player behind Soleran

Trebek: The answer is: "Popeye is this sort of man".

Trebek: Sean Connery. And, remember, these are words that begin with the letter "S", not "Swords".

Sean Connery: Sabre!
Re: Lecture 4: The Light and the Dark 08/19/2004 03:53 PM CDT
Ah, never had a hermit. All my characters have been the social type, almost feeding off information. Knowlage is power.

Sanya

I was taking a walk in the park when this post said I stole its purse. I tried to get away, but it just kept on coming. So I had to beat it to death with this purse I found.
-MOD-ILEDEMUS

Re: Lecture 4: The Light and the Dark 08/21/2004 05:37 PM CDT
<<Knowlage is power

Its knowledge actually.. and yes.. look at the power lol

- Player of Aldaren

/Rant
Re: Lecture 4: The Light and the Dark 10/06/2004 10:27 AM CDT
"If your Paladin had to run and choose not to fight to protect someone, does that make them a coward and not the upstanding Paladin?"

"Turn your tail, and run away:
Live to fight another day.

I know how people fight by reputation. Word gets around."

Sorry for the delay in reply, I hardly read the boards. I am just going to state why I asked that question. The above was in reference to my paladin running with Sidune in her care and protecting her from being kidnapped by Jourok.

Not run and risk it? I think not. I think she made the right choice at the time. Sometimes you have no choice but to run to protect another.

Player of