The Holy Weapon system is simply terrible 01/25/2013 01:28 AM CST
I wanted to repost this now that 3.0 is out, and in a more appropriate folder. Solomon had mentioned that many aspects of 3.0 were intended to make the game fun and less tedious. I feel Holy Weapons right now are an epitome of old clunky and very brutal game mechanics, not quite to the level of old empath shock taking months to clear, but within the same paradigm at least.

The system is so aged and bad I know NO paladins that use it actively. As the last major quest we receive and the 'apex' gift of Chadatru to us, this is extremely underwhelming in its execution. I will be brief here, and I hope you will read and consider.

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Holy_Weapon

1) You can only change this weapon out once per IRL year. This is a relic of very anal behavior from design in the past. If you loose your holy weapon, its gone forever. I suppose feedback or a gm might restore it potentially.

2) Works of a very limiting charge system (more so given in 3.0 combat now, and thus more hits) that can only be recharged at specific sites in the world. This power came out around the same time as the Dunshade quest, so there was an item to short cut this effect which for most people actually meant a required item to use your holy weapon, as otherwise you are geo-restricted on what you can hunt since after about an hour your weapon needs a recharge. If your weapon looses charges, then you have to spend about two hours NOT using that weapon because you need to recharge it TWICE before it will work(altars have a one hour cooldown. Altars were again being pushed at this time cause they only had 45 minute cooldowns). Effectively if you do not keep your weapon constantly charged you are penalized by not being able to use it.

3) Holy weapons were blessed and were once the only way a paladin at those times could get a weapon blessed outside of a cleric (later we could punch things). Now with the new Holy Warrior in 3.0 this is moot. We can just bless our weapons whenever we want before we qualify for this quest (in general).

The system is very out of date, cumbersome and tedious. Most of its benefits have been made mute and the channels we had to interact with the system somewhat more easily have not been made available for quite some time. The benefits to hit seem somewhat marginal in the new 3.0 combat mechanics to boot (Smite had this issue as well).

Thanks for reading:)
Re: The Holy Weapon system is simply terrible 01/25/2013 01:48 AM CST
My Paladin is creeping up on 50th circle(I would be creeping a lot faster if I hadn't stopped to backtrain Locksmithing and Forging) and I was so excited about doing the quest and getting my Holy Weapon. I started doing some research into the quest to see what kind of ranks I'd need to do it without failing miserably, and read up on more of the specifics of Holy Weapons themselves and after reading about them on Elanthipedia and elsewhere I don't plan on even bothering to do the quest when I'm 50. Being able to keep my "Holy Questor" title is a better reward for not doing the quest than having my Holy Weapon is for doing it.
Re: The Holy Weapon system is simply terrible 01/25/2013 02:16 AM CST
>If you loose your holy weapon, its gone forever.

>If your weapon looses charges...

Sorry, it's been iritating me lately to see this misspelling. It is lose, not loose.

http://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com/difficulties/looselose.html

On the actual substance of your post though, I do hope that something is done to revise the Holy Weapon. It was good for the time it was originally conceived, but in modern DR, it just doesn't cut it. Whenever it gets revised though I'm sure most if not all Paladins will rejoice.

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: The Holy Weapon system is simply terrible 01/25/2013 02:17 AM CST
>>Sorry, it's been iritating me lately to see this misspelling. It is lose, not loose.

Sorry Greek was my first language. I still typo pretty frequently but I appreciate the corrections. I will remember this ^_^
Re: The Holy Weapon system is simply terrible 01/25/2013 01:02 PM CST
If you are worried about losing your holy weapon. Register it.

If you have problems charging your holy weapon. Don't use it.

Mine comes out during invasions, and when I am asked to get claws from those critters on Tais.

It takes five minutes to charge when you are in crossing, shard, or mer'kresh. If I had a faster way from Ratha to Kresh I'd probably use it more frequently, but meh. Typically I do two to three charge sessions whenever I am on the mainland (Crossing) for an event. Typically the two jousts.
Re: The Holy Weapon system is simply terrible 01/25/2013 01:24 PM CST
>>If you are worried about losing your holy weapon. Register it.

This only replaces it if it is lost due to a mechanical/systems issue.

>>If you have problems charging your holy weapon. Don't use it.

This defeats the purpose of having the system at all. GMs have been explicitly moving away from this mindset when it comes to these kinds of devices.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: The Holy Weapon system is simply terrible 01/25/2013 02:05 PM CST
How else will you lose it? Does registering it not protect it from the janitor? No one else can actually pick the weapon up if you drop it, and the person trying to take it gets stunned. If you die, it will bind to you with the proper glyph, if you bothered to get it anyways.

Yep, that I understand that it is kind of annoying, can't charge it easily don't use it. However it is what it is right now, and until our paladin advocate returns I wouldn't hold breath on getting it looked at The last big paladin meeting he said he was looking into options to get us easier, or more locations to charge it, but has been MIA for a long time now. At least on the forums.
Re: The Holy Weapon system is simply terrible 01/25/2013 02:23 PM CST
>>Does registering it not protect it from the janitor?

It's generally not the rule. It's more like "I died during a massive systems crash and I lost my weapon" or "I walked into a room and for some reason it deleted my weapon" more than "I put it in a container that was on a donation rack and now it is gone forever" or "I ended up dropping it and walking away"

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: The Holy Weapon system is simply terrible 01/25/2013 05:21 PM CST
You get killed and someone takes it...? Who knows, but there are ways to loose weapons. Honest mistakes (i dropped it on accident in a room full of scroll). Whatever the reason, what other guild can permanently loose a guild advantage outside of abuse (i.e Snipe).

As to your logic that if its too inhibiting we shouldnt use it, I believe I would say if something is so inhibiting it shouldnt be in the game. Its our capstone quest and when it was released was coined as a defining aspect of our guild, yet no one uses it. If thats not not an issue that should be spot lighted I'm not sure what is.
Re: The Holy Weapon system is simply terrible 01/25/2013 05:27 PM CST
>>Y.... until our paladin advocate returns I wouldn't hold breath on getting it looked at The last big paladin meeting he said he was looking into options to get us easier, or more locations to charge it, but has been MIA for a long time now. At least on the forums

If we should only expect fixes and revamps to our archaic systems until our advocate comes back or we are given a new one, then we should give up on any development now. However I do not think the modern GM team operates like this anymore and the general absence of a advocate is no longer as crippling as it has been historically. They all seem far more active on a variety of forums and seem more concerned about the games health on a whole rather than specific guilds as used to be the case.
Re: The Holy Weapon system is simply terrible 01/30/2013 10:44 AM CST
Is it possible for a GM to comment on this. Not looking for a resolution path, but hoping to know if what their high level though is on this ("It's fine" or "We agree its broke and will be fixed, but its not in our short term road map").

As someone mentioned earlier, I think bringing modern design to holy weapons would make every Paladin rejoice and would be a great addition to the guild without introducing something additive to our perk list.
Re: The Holy Weapon system is simply terrible 01/30/2013 10:53 AM CST
It could use modern design.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: The Holy Weapon system is simply terrible 01/30/2013 03:44 PM CST
Cheer!

Now back to our regular stomp out, weed out, and fine tune DR3.0 (which I very much appreciate all the GMs spending time on).

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.