Re: Paladins M3 suggestions 10/11/2010 05:38 PM CDT
<<While you can cram a lot of things into one spell under Magic 3.0 without making them impotent it will probably be more advantageous for Paladins not to do so and instead have more numerous and more specialized spells. So my plan is for the forced melee thing to be its own spell that is not Hands of Justice.>>

From someone that has played several magic classes: I settled in the paladin guild because it was the only melee focused guild that was also defined by moral code. I know I don't have to use spells as they exist but BUFFS are a huge part of DR.

With that in mind I dislike having to use 6-7 different spells that require time-devouring testing to get effective preps/snap casts/order in order to be effective in combat - and then once you have that down you have to run a script for 5-10 mins before you can have a friendly spar. All that is garbage for my player experience. I really enjoy watching barbs pick a dance and go: so what I'm saying is I'd like to see complete function come from picking 1-2 spells and getting to work quickly because they cover what I need.

Khohan
Re: Paladins M3 suggestions 10/11/2010 05:42 PM CDT
>With that in mind I dislike having to use 6-7 different spells that require time-devouring testing to get effective preps/snap casts/order in order to be effective in combat - and then once you have that down you have to run a script for 5-10 mins before you can have a friendly spar. All that is garbage for my player experience. I really enjoy watching barbs pick a dance and go: so what I'm saying is I'd like to see complete function come from picking 1-2 spells and getting to work quickly because they cover what I need.

The problem here is this would make the spells too hard to cast at anything resembling a reasonable potency for the majority of the Paladin guild.

Spell durations are generally going way up in new Magic which should be a big boost.

-Z
Re: Paladins M3 suggestions 10/11/2010 06:03 PM CDT
It takes me 40-50 seconds to buff up all my combat spells...

If it takes you 5 to 15 minutes to buff then you are doing something. wrong.

1) Prep low
2) harness
3) cast.

Crusader Taghz

DFA = DISC + AGIL + TM > Evasion + Reflex

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: Paladins M3 suggestions 10/11/2010 06:05 PM CDT
<<The problem here is this would make the spells too hard to cast at anything resembling a reasonable potency for the majority of the Paladin guild.>>

I appreciate the position and all I will say in response is that something being hard and then being able to accomplish said feat defines a person and their dedication. If something is easy, it has no appreciable value because everyone else has it. DR remains in my opinion a niche game with a dedicated player base and long-term goals/rewards are awesome for us.

Khohan
Re: Paladins M3 suggestions 10/11/2010 06:09 PM CDT
My thoughts:

<<If I suggested Shatter work similarly to Curse of Zachriedek instead of literally degrading armor/weapons, would this be a spell people would use?

Yes. I like the curse aspect better than shatter as it currently stands.

Spells I would not like to touch b/c I think they do their thing great:

1. Holy Warrior: This and Courage are the bread and butter for the guild. Would like this spell to stay exactly the same.

2. Courage: See HW above.

3. Anti Stun: Straight forward spell, so should work nicely in the new system.

4. Righteous Wrath: See #3.

5. Sentinals Resolve: See #3.

6. Marshal Order: See #3.

7. Heroic Strength: See #3.

8. Divine Guidance: See #3.

9. Divine Armor: See #3.

10. Footman's Strike: See #3. Good basic TM.

11. Halt: See #3.

Spells that need some work:

1. Shatter: See discussion above.

2. Soldier's Prayer: Still doesn't work all that great. Although, it does what Armifer said it would do. A low level barrier spell.

3. TiP: Always liked this spell, just doesn't see much use. I would come up with some form of "trap spell". Maybe this is a trap triggered by "something sneaky" done to us? Trap would be immobilization (skill check) or a deflection of the attack back on the attackee?

4. HoJ: Like your suggestion on crushing hands again.

5. AG: I actually like that it refurbishes soul pool if self cast. If soul is going to be less important, then we need to think of something here.

6. Smite Foe: If chain stuns are going away, I would recommend this being a different disabler. Stun is still ok, but stun (plus)...maybe knocked to prone. Call it the paladin Ice Patch so to speak.

Overall, the paladin spell book is pretty straight forward and I would anticipate little to no changes.

Proposed New Spell (concepts):

1. Keep at melee spell.

2. Bad(er) things to evil spell.

3. Ring of shields. Basically rotating shields that act as an extra defense against things beyond pole range. Specific ranged defense so to speak.

Madigan
Re: Paladins M3 suggestions 10/11/2010 08:05 PM CDT
Since spells are getting reviewed, if AG could renew smite pool as well as soul pool, that'd be neat.

DRPrime - Celeres Turrance
Re: Paladins M3 suggestions 10/12/2010 09:26 PM CDT
<<3. Ring of shields. Basically rotating shields that act as an extra defense against things beyond pole range. Specific ranged defense so to speak.

someone was playing Mario Kart when thinking of this idea. But I would love to have 3 red turtle shells orbiting myself
Re: Paladins M3 suggestions 10/13/2010 08:20 AM CDT
<<3. Ring of shields. Basically rotating shields that act as an extra defense against things beyond pole range. Specific ranged defense so to speak.

<<someone was playing Mario Kart when thinking of this idea. But I would love to have 3 red turtle shells orbiting myself

Hah. Pure rip off the warrior mage spell just pushed out to cover ranged stuff and use shields and not blades.

Madigan
Re: Paladins M3 suggestions 10/13/2010 10:14 AM CDT
I hate CoZ more than any other spell in the game by a long shot. Getting something similar would be awesome for you guys.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Paladins M3 suggestions 10/13/2010 02:17 PM CDT
>>I hate CoZ more than any other spell in the game by a long shot. Getting something similar would be awesome for you guys.<<

I would like to second this.

Uthgaar
Re: Paladins M3 suggestions 10/13/2010 11:01 PM CDT
I'd like to see Shatter do permanently what CoZ does temporarily with a curse.

>ask rangu about hair
Rangu scratches his bald head and says, "I don't have any idea what you are asking me about."
>
Re: Paladins M3 suggestions 10/27/2010 07:31 PM CDT
>I really don't like the idea of some Holy Lasso spell. I'd much rather just see a physical ability where we charge to melee with some kind of associated stamina hit.

Sort of reminded me of the old Wonder Woman show with Lynda Carter.

Yeah, that'd be a strange paladin's guild.

Khorgar ~ Supports the Lasso of Truth
Re: Paladins M3 suggestions 10/28/2010 04:11 PM CDT
This just crossed my mind, might have been asked elsewhere but I don't remember seeing it. Sorry if it was, but, are glyphs being touched at all in the magic rewrite? I know they aren't technically magic, but the Bard enchantes weren't either soooo, yeah. Just figured I'd ask.

~Kattena

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Paladins M3 suggestions 10/28/2010 04:26 PM CDT
>> but the Bard enchantes weren't [magic] either soooo, yeah. Just figured I'd ask.

Umm, how do you figure?

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: Paladins M3 suggestions 10/28/2010 04:56 PM CDT
<<>> but the Bard enchantes weren't [magic] either soooo, yeah. Just figured I'd ask.

They were magic in the sense that they used magic skills, attunement, etc. They weren't magic in the sense that they didn't tie into the Magic with a capital M system. Magic 2.0 was when Bards got tied into the magic system properly.

-Evran

"RAGE + TEAR + EYE + RESO + HARM + DRUM + MISD + PRIDE + Your choice of Cyclic + AoE stun/knockdown as needed without losing buffs = OMG! I just crapped my pants!" -Evran
Re: Paladins M3 suggestions 10/28/2010 06:05 PM CDT
Right, I should've been more clear, sorry. They definitely were more magic than glyphs are currently, but they did change and are changing more in 3.0 (at least to my understanding). But, in addition to mana and attunement, 'mojo' also factors in, similar to soul pool to glyphs. That's really where I was making a comparison. Sorry for the confusion!

~Kattena

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!