Shatter lol 10/11/2010 08:36 AM CDT
With Durability 2.0, shatter is even more worthless now than before, I am impressed.

-Landros
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 08:55 AM CDT
Don't worry I think I have a GG scroll somewhere.

On a more serious note, this was mentioned at least a couple times in the main thread so the GMs are certainly aware of the situation. I'm not sure why such a niche spell is generating so much anxiety among Paladins though - especially when even if a fix doesn't roll out tomorrow, everything is presumably being re-evaluated with Magic 3.0.
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 09:05 AM CDT
<<everything is presumably being re-evaluated with Magic 3.0.

Looking at the Magic 3.0 lists that have been released so far, they seem to do a good job of taking into account the other new systems that the GMs are planning. I think all will be OK.

Nikpack
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 09:18 AM CDT
I read the whole durability thread and posted on it. I think saying it's causing 'so much anxiety' among paladins is a bit of a stretch. That being said, yes it's a niche spell, but it's one that some of us actually use(d) for its intended purpose. At the level I'm hunting at, pretty much every critter outside of celpeze parries, and parries WELL. I used shatter to get past that. At the very least, this limits where I can hunt effectively. Am I freaking out about it? No, I moved to celps.

I think that not knowing when the durability changes were going to be released, not knowing/realizing how shatter was going to be affected, and still not knowing where we as a guild will stand with magic 3.0 all contribute to the overall 'wth' attitude some may be showing right now. It's a bit frustrating for some.

~Kattena

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 10:05 AM CDT
>>I'm not sure why such a niche spell is generating so much anxiety among Paladins though

Anxiety? What anxiety are you referring to?

Shatter's only use was to destroy weak weapons so you could bypass parry. The 'niche' this spell fills wasn't even 'creatures that parry' because shatter took 200 casts to break anything that wasn't a dagger, so you were limited to the handful of creatures that used extremely weak weapons. The spell was junk, and now its junk x 2.

There's no anxiety, I just found it amusing. I personally haven't used the spell for years because, as I said, its junk. Whether or not it gets worse than it was doesn't really affect me much.

>>everything is presumably being re-evaluated with Magic 3.0.

Yea, you'll excuse me if I'm not holding my breath for that. Looks like magic primes are getting their rewrites first (as they should) which means that you are looking at a timeline probably better measure in years than in months.

-Landros
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 10:06 AM CDT
I guess we will see what happens after Paladin Magic gets redone, but if shatter's going to stay on our list as it is, it needs to get a huge damage increase...

... and be usable on PCs.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 10:14 AM CDT
Shatter is very very effective against animals.
It applies light wounds to almost all body parts. You can get it to bleeding wounds on all body parts, too.
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 10:16 AM CDT
>>Yea, you'll excuse me if I'm not holding my breath for that. Looks like magic primes are getting their rewrites first (as they should) which means that you are looking at a timeline probably better measure in years than in months.

What?

They're gradually releasing spell lists for each of the guilds. The started with Warrior Mages and Necromancers and then moved to Moon Mages and then Clerics. What makes you think they're going to just stop releasing spell lists for the other guilds all of a sudden?

Magic 3.0 is slated for the end of this year and even giving them a couple month's leeway is still a far cry away from a timeline measured in years.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 10:20 AM CDT
>>What?

>>They're gradually releasing spell lists for each of the guilds. The started with Warrior Mages and Necromancers and then moved to Moon Mages and then Clerics. What makes you think they're going to just stop releasing spell lists for the other guilds all of a sudden?

>>Magic 3.0 is slated for the end of this year and even giving them a couple month's leeway is still a far cry away from a timeline measured in years.

Welcome to the Paladin forums. Where Pessimism reigns.

Majority belief is: We will believe it when we see it.

Crusader Taghz

DFA = DISC + AGIL + TM > Evasion + Reflex

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 10:21 AM CDT
<<What anxiety>>

I assumed there was a point to the complaints in the main thread plus its own thread here.

<<Magic 3.0>>

Everything I have read indicates that the M3.0 rewrites are all going to be rolled in at once, and the target (which admitedly might be missed) was the end of this year/early next year. Have some faith.
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 10:29 AM CDT
>>Shatter is very very effective against animals.
>>It applies light wounds to almost all body parts. You can get it to bleeding wounds on all body parts, too.

Yes, you can still kill armorless/weaponless critters with it. But since that doesn't train magic to any notable degree, there's really no point to doing that. I personally don't know anyone who actually uses it that way.

>><<What anxiety>>

>>I assumed there was a point to the complaints in the main thread plus its own thread here.

I think what we're saying is, yes, there's a point (which has been clearly expressed more than once), but a complaint or request for clarification does not equal anxiety. As I said, it's a bit of an overstatement at best.

And one final thing, What Glemm said. With the removal of permanent equipment loss, I'd like to see shatter damage actual mean something, and be usable in PvP.

~Kattena

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 10:29 AM CDT
Wasn't the new paladin magic rewrite supposed to come out at latest January of last year?

Timetables for releases should be taken with a large grain of salt.

Just sayin.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 10:45 AM CDT
>>What makes you think they're going to just stop releasing spell lists for the other guilds all of a sudden?

I don't think they will stop releasing spell lists all of the sudden, I just think it will be a long while before shatter gets rewritten. I believe that, because stuff usually takes a long time to get developed in DR (not meant as a criticism, just an observation). Also, things usually take longer to get rolled out than initially suggested. Also, admittedly I haven't been reading every post relating to magic 3.0, but it would make sense to me that magic prime guilds, and higher population guilds, will get the focus of the development upfront.

So, combine all of those things and yea, I think its going to be awhile. I didn't realize Magic 3.0 was slated to be done by the end of the year, but hearing that, I don't think theres much chance that we'll have our spell rewrite done by then. In fact my official prediction is that we don't have 1 spell rewritten by December.

Feel free to take my posts with a grain of salt as I am admittedly the biggest cynic who posts on the Paladin boards (although Slaris seems to be getting up there).

-Landros
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 11:00 AM CDT
with armor breakage gone it should be castable on PCs and it should be the Strongest spell available in dealing damage to armor. A full powered lightning bolt to the chest should be minor compared to the amount of armor damage sustatined from Shatter.

Shatter is not a curse, it is a physically applied spell and shouldn't work like CoZ does. (please)

>ask rangu about hair
Rangu scratches his bald head and says, "I don't have any idea what you are asking me about."
>
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 11:28 AM CDT
>>...and it should be the Strongest...

Heh, reminds me of the old philosophy of the Aether Lash spell and it being "the most powerful TM".

Needless to say, I think that trend of mentality has been destroyed with our new crop of GMs thankfully.

__
~Leilond
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 11:32 AM CDT
The Paladin spell list will be being drawn up soon (I am working on Bards right now). I'm looking forward to a bunch of complaints and commentary about how Paladins are doomed and nobody loves them.

I don't actually know what to tell you what to expect but it probably won't be an extreme deviation from what you have now. A new spell or two and refurbishments to avoid uselessness in the old ones.

-Z
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 11:40 AM CDT
>>I am working on Bards right now -Z

Sweeeet, your idea of spell design is awesome in my book.

__
~Leilond
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 11:43 AM CDT

>>A new spell or two and refurbishments to avoid uselessness in the old ones.<<

Thanks for the quick update. Are any of those spells that you are referring to on the list that was proposed awhile ago? More specifically the one that would let us use our shield skill to block DFA spells?

~Silus
Banner first, ask questions later.
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 11:44 AM CDT
I would personally like to see the guild focus more on abilities that run off of our soul juice, honestly.

Magic is great and all, but we are magic tert- and most spells were released to address deficiencies we as a "combat primary" guild have in a combat system that caters toward survival primes.

Obviously, this is all changing, so yay for that.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 12:03 PM CDT
<<Yes, you can still kill armorless/weaponless critters with it. But since that doesn't train magic to any notable degree, there's really no point to doing that. I personally don't know anyone who actually uses it that way.

I use shatter but probably because it is easy to snap cast and can easily fit in a combat script.

I am "meh" if it stays or goes.

<<I'm looking forward to a bunch of complaints and commentary about how Paladins are doomed and nobody loves them.

Hey, maybe it will work out great.

Madigan
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 12:44 PM CDT
>>I'm looking forward to a bunch of complaints and commentary about how Paladins are doomed and nobody loves them.

That made me lol. You're good, you.
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 02:49 PM CDT
>>I'm looking forward to a bunch of complaints and commentary about how Paladins are doomed and nobody loves them.<<

I don't actually know what to tell you what to expect but it probably won't be an extreme deviation from what you have now.
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 03:33 PM CDT
I don't know how the armor rewrite is a sign that Shatter is doomed.

If anything it's an excuse to push for Shatter to be PC-capable, since now armor can't be killed off for good.

Beyond that, shatter is probably now one of the most painful spells in the game in the eyes of a PC target. What's worse, being killed and typing DEPART ITEMS, which instantly gets you back in the game after a few minutes, or having to repair all your gear for X amount of silver/gold and who knows how long of a repair time when that stuff gets beyond the minor dents and dings that would be expected from normal wear and tear.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 03:40 PM CDT
>>I don't actually know what to tell you what to expect but it probably won't be an extreme deviation from what you have now. A new spell or two and refurbishments to avoid uselessness in the old ones.

For the most part, I find our spells do a good job at what they need to do. The only spell that leaps out at me as 'eh' that I'd like to see some adjustment on is TiP. Otherwise, hearing things are going to stay somewhat similar acutally makes me happy heh.

Samsaren Remlane
I will defend to your death, your right, to my opinion.
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 04:33 PM CDT
<<Needless to say, I think that trend of mentality has been destroyed with our new crop of GMs thankfully.

LOL. Wrong.

Mistrust is our only defense against betrayal.
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 04:46 PM CDT
<<Magic is great and all, but we are magic tert- and most spells were released to address deficiencies we as a "combat primary" guild have in a combat system that caters toward survival primes.

I can't wait for our WvW spells, like Halt, and whatever-the-new-pull-to-melee-spell-is to be driven by a tert skill thats split somehow from PM.

I can't wait for the defense to all those magical disablers and debuffs to be driven by a tert skill, that is also somehow split from PM either.

I'm tingling with excitement.

Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 04:51 PM CDT
>>The 'enforced melee duel' thing is definitely going to be one of the new magic 3.0 spells. Given the stealing PvP changes I'm going to change Hands of Justice back to it's original crush mechanism.

That made me smile.

To be honest, I think most, if not all, of our defensive buffs are great. I think the only 'complaint' I have about any of them is the inability to replace AS and SR. I'm not sure how all of that is going to work with 3.0, though.

Also, there was some mention in the cleric folders about our soul-based blessed brawling going away and becoming possibly spell based. Is that definitely happening, to your knowledge?

And, I mean, since I'm here and everything...can we please have smite foe back as a higher tier TM spell? Pretty please? I like stun foe, too, I just want both now :D

~Kattena

Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 04:55 PM CDT
<<I can't wait for our WvW spells, like Halt, and whatever-the-new-pull-to-melee-spell-is to be driven by a tert skill thats split somehow from PM.>>

I really don't like the idea of some Holy Lasso spell. I'd much rather just see a physical ability where we charge to melee with some kind of associated stamina hit.

Doesn't look like that's the way things are going, though.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 04:55 PM CDT
>I think the only 'complaint' I have about any of them is the inability to replace AS and SR. I'm not sure how all of that is going to work with 3.0, though.

All buffs will be replaceable in M3.

>Also, there was some mention in the cleric folders about our soul-based blessed brawling going away and becoming possibly spell based. Is that definitely happening, to your knowledge?

Probably. Whatever way it occurs will make it so it's not onerous for Paladins to keep the ability whenever they want to have it.

>And, I mean, since I'm here and everything...can we please have smite foe back as a higher tier TM spell? Pretty please?

Yes, although there will be no such thing as 'tier' for TM spells anymore.

-Z
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 04:58 PM CDT
>I really don't like the idea of some Holy Lasso spell. I'd much rather just see a physical ability where we charge to melee with some kind of associated stamina hit.

I don't think there's anything strictly against this, it just won't be part of what I'm going to be doing with Magic 3.0.

The spell I'm referring to will ultimately place both Paladin and target at melee with each other and neither will be allowed to retreat or hide for the duration of the spell.

-Z
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 05:03 PM CDT
Sounds useful. Thanks for all the info!

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 05:26 PM CDT
>>The 'enforced melee duel' thing is definitely going to be one of the new magic 3.0 spells. Given the stealing PvP changes I'm going to change Hands of Justice back to it's original crush mechanism.<<

This made my day at work.

>>Would there be any way to destroy the physical properties of the items but not make the victim require to pay out of pocket for the items to be repaired? Probably not, just trying to figure out a way to keep the spell the way it is without it being a "haha enjoy your 5 plat repair fee" spell.<<

It wouldn't be 5 plat, and they would have to repair their armor all the time anyway...don't see this as a problem.
Re: Shatter lol 10/11/2010 05:31 PM CDT
>>>And, I mean, since I'm here and everything...can we please have smite foe back as a higher tier TM spell? Pretty please?

>>Yes, although there will be no such thing as 'tier' for TM spells anymore.

Yay. I'm going to go backtrain 300 ranks of TM right now. THIS IS AWESOME!