Books (no, the other kind) 04/17/2016 02:16 PM CDT
So I posted about this in another thread and I've floated the idea to a couple of people in-game, but I have an Idea and I'd like to try and get some people on board with it.

Forever ago, we were told a library was planned for the P1 guild which would contain things like history and basic background lore for the Philosophers and other ideologies besides. This has, understandably, never seen the light of day up to now. After all, writing a bunch of brand new books is a pretty daunting project even for a prolific writer, much less a gaggle of GMs busy with other duties. Having written and had published an in-game book myself once upon a time, it's a lot harder than it looks, so I really don't blame 'em.

So I'd like to help them out. I think/hope if we throw enough books at them to serve as at least introductory content for a guild library, that might inspire them to actually create a space to it and maybe even add to it, sooner or later. Recently GM Naohhi revamped the book submission guidelines and took over handling that email address so we wouldn't just be screaming into a void either. If nothing else maybe that content can be saved for when a library is introduced.

So...yeah. Would anyone be interested in this project? What I figure we need:

* Introduction to the Philosophy of the Knife -- this could literally ape the post written from Markat's perspective and be fine with some minor tweaks, provided Armifer was willing to do that.
* History of the Philosophers, from founding to present day, including how the Triumphant, our P1 guild, and the 3rd generation (PCs) came to be
* Movers and shakers within the broader context of Necromancy from a Philosopher-adjacent perspective. Your Sidhlots, Xerasyths, and Islanders go here, including brief profiles on the rest of the GLers.
* Symbols and codes used by the Philosophers

I'd also like to actually finish my Necromancy and Social Justice treatise, but that's a side project. The stuff above is really the meat and potatoes of what we'd need. Throw in all the books Zamidren has written (he has two at least) and that's a pretty solid base for a library.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Books (no, the other kind) 04/18/2016 12:59 PM CDT

I've been doing a lot of reading of back posts and wikis for the last few months from when I was looking for the Guild, trying to figure things out. I could probably write on anything except the Guild personalities... I don't know how much of that is supposed to be 'out'. The posts and wikis never directly mention anyone outside of Book and Markat, in terms of Guild leaders, unless I just plain missed it.

Re: Books (no, the other kind) 08/31/2016 09:20 AM CDT

Any word on what's going on with the book writing contest?
Re: Books (no, the other kind) 08/31/2016 09:46 AM CDT
So, here's the thing.

Two things have come up which greatly complicate the contest.

1) We had some health concerns on Team Necro right around the time the contest ended, which put a kabosh on immediately jumping on these.
2) I, personally, have had to focus on other projects with definite timelines which has left all the projects I want to do swinging in the breeze.

I don't have an ETA for this anymore, and I'm sorry for that.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Books (no, the other kind) 08/31/2016 12:41 PM CDT

>We had some health concerns on Team Necro right around the time the contest ended, which put a kabosh on immediately jumping on these.

Oh no! I hope everyone is alright.

>I, personally, have had to focus on other projects with definite timelines which has left all the projects I want to do swinging in the breeze.

Gotcha, thanks for the update!

>I don't have an ETA for this anymore, and I'm sorry for that.

Just a spitball here, but because I generally like what most (ish) of the player base has to say and write about stuff, maybe open the whole thing to the public and do a survey monkey vote system for a first pass prune on the submissions? My initial reason for posting the question was that I remembered my own submission, then got curious what other people submitted and thought it would be a shame if most of the submissions were simply scrapped due to the nature of the contest.