Doomed Friendships 02/28/2013 10:10 AM CST
I had a taste of the paranoid dynamics of the necromancer fooling himself that he is good. Immersion (and probably a germ of insanity on me, the player) combined deliciously.

My Young Necro went out hunting with a Young Prydean (Since I was 6, I was always attracted to Tom's girlfriends in Tom & Jerry toons). I found how underpowered is the Necromancer trying to hunt with only Strange Arrow. Things were taking ages, the young Prydean must have thought I was lucky she was around to save me if I started doing even worst. No been able to tenderize the targets, or improve myself with PHP or IVM, I was getting hit all too frequently. Not being able to use SV to regain my vitality made me end up a bloody mess. Every time an enemy felt, I had to restrain my knife from performing Rituals.

I found myself biting my tongue (or typing fingers) so I would not ask how she felt about necromancy or necromancers (as a prelude to an "I am Batman!" moment). But I realize I could not risk her running to town and telling everybody about her suspicious or discovery of my real Guild (specially in Theren).

The experience was frustrating and nerve wrecking to me. It gave me a glimpse of the handicap put in the "Good Necro". Blast the Gods! I want to hunt with Acid, Improve Reactions, Hardened Skull and Hide, stealing life force and even feasting on my enemies and, eventually, with an Undead Companion by my side.

My friendships, my friends and my Community life be dammed!

Loved it!

Carlos
Re: Doomed Friendships 02/28/2013 12:27 PM CST
>(Since I was 6, I was always attracted to Tom's girlfriends in Tom & Jerry toons)

I think this wins the TMI award for the month/year/decade.
Re: Doomed Friendships 02/28/2013 03:30 PM CST
I don't use any of those spells anymore, ever. Just OB and EASE, really. Then I Burden and VoD everything. Not sure what message other players see for VoD, but it's surely not equal to the 'outing' factor of the Trans spells.

"4.116 Everything that can be thought at all can be thought clearly. Everything that can be said can be said clearly." ~Wittgenstein, 'Tractatus'
Re: Doomed Friendships 02/28/2013 03:37 PM CST
Prior to Shatter's memory loss, I'd been playing him as a self-defined persecuted messiah. He'd generally pass off his anti-divinity message to the masses chasing him, and he made his presence pretty weel known explicitly to get into arguments and to preach to those chasing him. The memory loss was the way I reconciled his questionable elements of his backstory with the game lore, although THAT phase of Shatter's life was probably more fun than the original RP...

I'm considering a new necromaner now, and I believe I'm going with the shrieking lunatic model this time. I'll be recycling some bits from Shatter's past because I was particularly partial to the "I didn't have a choice" backstory, but this one won't find the 'blessing' (belief in his own messianic potential as a result of his fallen state) in the curse and will be perpetually angry, always looking to settle the score, specifically targetting other necromancers. I'll be the one casting in town, screaming and then running out of the room for no apparent reason and speaking to myself as if I'm a large crowd (and giving people who take the time to speak with me multiple answers as if I'm a large crowd).

--Wryhk

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." ~Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Doomed Friendships 02/28/2013 05:07 PM CST
Lol, that sounds like hella fun.
Re: Doomed Friendships 02/28/2013 07:08 PM CST

I always felt the choice made by my necro to become a necro was the most fun part. His damnation is his fault, etc.
Re: Doomed Friendships 02/28/2013 10:57 PM CST
> specifically targetting other necromancers

Bring it on.