Different approaches 08/03/2012 06:10 PM CDT
It's been a long time since anyone posted anything here. Over the past year, I'm curious what different roles other players have chosen for their philosopher and how those roles are being enacted.

I've noticed one that was smitten down and had his memory altered.
I know of another that lives extremely high-profile.
I know of a third that simply plays the outcast.
A fourth or fifth that like to play villains.
Mine has picked up a penchant for scholarly pursuits. He especially studies biology and history, dabbling a bit in trying to understand Elanthian politics.

Any other recent takes? How many are mains? I'm curious to see how others are faring, given the fact that contact/discussion is heavily discouraged for anonymity's sake.
Re: Different approaches 08/03/2012 07:16 PM CDT

That's funny . I was just thinking earlier that it had been 2 years since my character had been to a "guild" meeting.
My Necro is my main . He's a coward , an opportunist and a terrorist . He is as concerned about mutating nature and creating life as with cheating death ... and in short , is obsessed with learning to Graft flesh .
Re: Different approaches 08/03/2012 09:41 PM CDT
Mine doesn't see himself as evil at all, and doesn't understand all the hate speech going on about necromancers. He sees his fellow necromancers just like others see members of society in general. There are some "good guys" and there are some "bad guys." There are the in betweeners. Just as there are nasty, mean, aggressive thieves and barbarians, so it is with necromancers. Mine wants to be one of the good guys, but is extremely paranoid about being found out and misunderstood.

He's all about NOT DYING and immortality. It's why he chose necromancer, since the gods don't seem to be able to provide immortality, he's hoping that his studies and pursuits will keep him from dying... forever. He'll help people with anything as long as he thinks there is a reasonable chance he won't get outed. He'll drag deaders, guard graves, forage stuff, pop boxes, provide directions, and offer assistance or coin to anyone in need, hoping that people will see him for who he really is, and not this... thing... that people believe to be so evil.

From an OOC standpoint, I understand the basic premise of the guild is EVIL, but I'm trying, in my own little way, to combat that as uninformed misperception.

Elvis has left the building.
Re: Different approaches 08/04/2012 05:43 AM CDT
Two necromancers walk into the red spiral.

One says, "Hey buddy, I'm feeling a little stiff."

The other says, "Not now, I'm feeling rotten."
Re: Different approaches 08/04/2012 10:35 AM CDT
>>Two necromancers walk into the red spiral.

^^I laughs

>>I was just thinking earlier that it had been 2 years since my character had been to a "guild" meeting.

Yeah, I haven't noticed anything interesting like that either. I've held and attended both, but its been a long time since. There hasn't been any significant event for which I would hold one until recently. The last one was for the appearance of Lhars (I still think he has a copy of the book, FWIW, and that we should try to get our hands on it.) It might be time to gather some minds about the Xalashar, though. Could be a good opportunity to get some home-brewed events in. Of course, you never 'need' to have a reason to meet, but I hardly see us being a guild that helped newbies or explained much to anyone.
Re: Different approaches 08/04/2012 02:16 PM CDT
My Necro is my main, but still comparatively low circle.

He is amoral, and values knowledge -- applied given deference over the purely theoretical, though he values both -- above all else. He is not a 'true believer' in anything, so I guess he could be called 'agnostic' in the broadest sense.

He has no use for courage, so sometimes he resembles a coward, but is fierce when it's called for. He doesn't steal for its own sake, but will take what he needs when he needs it, unless the risk exceeds the value.

He is a rationalist, but sees its limitations. He is something approaching a positivist, but does not entirely eschew the mystical and metaphysical.

His main failing is a secret delight in cruelty through violence, though he tries to suppress it. He recognizes the danger of his own psychopathy, but is not entirely aware he cannot sublimate his desires forever. He still has to believe that a rational approach (what we would call 'science') will prevent him from becoming out of control, or making a mistake that will cost him everything (given that all Necros are essentially in a high-stress position at all times).

This was not my original idea for a Necro. I try to wring the most out of a character that I can, and I thought that would be what we call in DR "Perverse", but I tend to go with the flow, develop a character according to the intentions of the game designers as a way of getting the most out of a game, so I adapted him into a quintessential Philosopher... with one character flaw for RP/literary value.

"4.116 Everything that can be thought at all can be thought clearly. Everything that can be said can be said clearly." ~Wittegenstein, 'Tractatus'
Re: Different approaches 08/04/2012 05:10 PM CDT
>>Of course, you never 'need' to have a reason to meet, but I hardly see us being a guild that helped newbies or explained much to anyone.

So at least 5 deaths a meeting should legitimize meetings. The lack of sanity should be for the Characters not the Players , roleplaying , practice it or lose it , how I miss thee.

>>His main failing is a secret delight in cruelty through violence, though he tries to suppress it.

Patrick Bateman ?
Re: Different approaches 08/04/2012 06:49 PM CDT
My Necromancer simply knows better than you. He may be weaker, but he'll never be slower, and he'll never be caught unprepared. Not again. Because the rest of you, you're free to do as you please, you're the perfect buffer between him and those who want to get in his way. That smile, that joke, that sly grin and offered drink, it's all part of the game, part of his plan. Favors, secrets, and allegiances are his currency, philanthropy, geniality, and compassion, his ruse. Because when the time comes, the mob will be screaming for blood, and he'll be waving a pitchfork; he is, after all, curious to see how far the rest of you got before failing so miserably.

Everything and everyone is a tool, and after all, only a poor craftsman treats his tools carelessly.
Re: Different approaches 08/04/2012 08:54 PM CDT
>Patrick Bateman ?

Take your pick of any of several dozen characters. The story is not quite cliche, but it's not unique by any means. Though my Necro is a big Phil Collins fan.

"4.116 Everything that can be thought at all can be thought clearly. Everything that can be said can be said clearly." ~Wittegenstein, 'Tractatus'
Re: Different approaches 08/05/2012 01:10 AM CDT
Jhalia, that was awesome, thanks for sharing.

Captain Jack: "Who looks at a screwdriver and thinks 'Oooh, this could be a little more sonic'?"
The Doctor: "What? You never been bored? Never had a long night? Never had a lot of cabinets to put up?"
Re: Different approaches 08/05/2012 02:54 AM CDT
what ? clique ? I love that story . I believe Bateman was modeled after Bundy, a genuine charismatic .

Serial Killers definitely have their own uniqueness . I still entertain the idea of handing out loads of money/stuff in the Gobs and then murdering whoever I was nice too. = >
Re: Different approaches 08/13/2012 02:22 PM CDT
My necromancer has been my main forever and I love that a lot of her story has come about in ways I didn't really expect through events and opportunities.

She knows she damned herself when she choose to follow Book and he opened up the guild. She was a nomad who grew up surrounded by the spirits of ancestors and in a world surrounded by thousand of lost voices, she found them all silenced after finding herself completely forsaken. That fact alone impacted her more than anything the guild ever could do and plays a major part in her development; she never knew that she would give up practically everything she knew with that one decision. Finding herself completely lost and alone, her insanity began to stew and now she prefers to stay out in the wilds than get anywhere near a city. She has a general hatred for city dwellers and the stone prisons they surround themselves in and would do just about anything she could to bring ruin to the cities and free the "trapped" individuals living within it. Even death is better than their ignorant slavery.

After being outed she realized it was a blessing and that she no longer feared her own power and decent. Being exposed was one of her most frustrating and yet liberating moments and she now feels that all people must be liberated from their fears that they might not even realize. The freedom of the Great Work can help everyone even if they don't quite know it yet.

She had three tethers to keep her grounded in the world, but since then one of them disappeared to sail with her crazed husband and now she finds herself slipping a little more...