The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/03/2010 11:57 PM CDT
I'm probably the wrong person to bring this discussion OUT of conflicts, but interest was shown and I don't think anything has been resolved yet, so I'm going to try to summarize parts of the other thread here for further perusal and comment.

The topic: Does "playability" outweigh game lore for PC Necromancers who wish to avoid conflict?

Yes: With the constant threat of being locked out of town services and limited aid past a low circle, players of Necromancers who keep to themselves are already facing enough difficulties without being hunted down like Lyras every time they step out of abandoned hunting areas. It's unfair to leave them hanging out to dry in front of mobs of 100+ circle characters who will ruin their playing experience by never giving them a chance to train. This is an excessive disadvantage unless, at the very least, it goes both ways.

No: Being hunted when you bring down the heat SHOULD be part of the Necromancer experience. We've been intentionally conditioned to perceive Necromancers as monsters that need to be exterminated, and whether Philosophers views themselves the same way or not is more OoC than IC to those on the outside. Furthermore, this rarely happens now even with the currently Open Necromancers who don't bring it on themselves, which as many self-congratulating Role Play elitists will tell you, is the reason why everyone should go Open anyway. So if Open is good for me, why isn't it good for the players of a Hard mode guild based on being the enemy of society and the gods alike?

~ Kougen

An opaque multi-armed devourer lovingly wraps itself around a puddle of water, only to shred it into bite-sized pieces and then swallow each bit in rapid succession.
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 12:11 AM CDT
>>Does "playability" outweigh game lore for PC Necromancers who wish to avoid conflict?

Yes, to a point.

Just like a serial PvPer won't get jailed forever even though they may kill outside of justice zones.

Just like a serial robber won't get his bank account seized via the Trader Guild's influence.

Just like undead armadillos don't swarm every city in response to attacking Philosophers.

Just like GMs place invasion mobs in a manner that allows players to Triage without much difficulty.

Just like the GMNPC bad guys never win in the long run and, when they do, it has little actual impact on players as a whole.

Just like GMNPCs are sometimes set to god-mode to continue an RP plot.

Just like someone wanted for crimes can't literally fight Town Guards to avoid capture.

Just like players can not walk anymore.

Just like Empaths are now allowed to attack certain creatures that don't count as being alive after all.

Etc etc etc.

The idea that IG Lore/Common Sense skips a beat only in this particular situation is slightly dishonest, and the fact that people try to focus on how the Necromancer Guild should be "hard" and thus the fact that they can't kill someone anytime they feel like it because they want to is a bit amusing. There are plenty of other situations when "IC logic" is twisted a bit in order to make the game manageable for players.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 12:27 AM CDT
>Does "playability" outweigh game lore for PC Necromancers who wish to avoid conflict?

Despite my previous (now changed) stance on Necromancers and questing, yes. In the end, it's a game.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi, Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 01:04 AM CDT
What about players wishing to avoid conflicting on necros? I don't like this implication in all this that you're a worse RPer if you RP being anti-necro with anything short of killing them on sight. :(

I don't want my insane dislike of PVP to equate me with a necro supporter, and I don't see how that isn't the logical conclusion of the always-open-necros position. Is there a granularity I'm not seeing?

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 01:14 AM CDT
I don't think not wanting to engage in PvP is poor roleplay on either side. You can have a conflict without having anyone using combat skills. You can also resolve a conflict without killing anyone while still not making it look like you quit out of fear.

As I said elsewhere...

How about the "out" being a mindset that what happens when you kill a PC necro being what happens when someone kills that GMNPC Necro that's been lurking around the Empath Guild. "I really want to kill this guy but if killing him makes Book or whoever is his keeper furious and sending hordes of undead upon a local city as punishment, I can't risk doing that to the innocent civilians in that town."

You don't want to kill a Necro in the wild explicitly because you're concerned about the Necromantic fallout that will happen as a result of that Philosopher's death. Will the entire area warp and bend due to something that goes wrong with the Arcane energy he channels being upset upon his death? Will his Mentor/Keeper decide to harvest a new minion by terrorizing a local town and finding a new unwilling victim to become his new pupil? Is killing a low-ranking Philosopher now better than trying to follow that Philosopher to where they're all hiding out and training?

I also mentioned in another comment that your character may not want to kill a Necro simply because Necros can use that death as a way to escape "actual" justice. Kill a necro because you found out what he is, and he'll possibly just go into hiding. Meanwhile, keep it secret and tight to your chest, and you'll be able to sic the town guards on him at the first possible chance, hopefully damning him into the prisons where he'll be sent to the Red Spiral. Killing him may actually RESCUE him from the only kind of punishment that "works" on them.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 02:15 AM CDT
This is my last post in this conversation for a while because I feel it's already been saturated with my opinion, but just a few closing thoughts.

>and the fact that people try to focus on how the Necromancer Guild should be "hard" and thus the fact that they can't kill someone anytime they feel like it because they want to is a bit amusing.

I addressed this in the post you're responding to. A self-selected group of Open Necromancers are not having the problems you seem convinced would erupt from loosening policy enough to give all players a "true" Necromancer experience in the Elanthia setting.

>I don't want my insane dislike of PVP to equate me with a necro supporter, and I don't see how that isn't the logical conclusion of the always-open-necros position. Is there a granularity I'm not seeing?

If you're not an aggressive person you're not an aggressive person. If Kougen and every Necromancer in game were all locked Open tomorrow, I would not change my character's attitude or behavior one iota.

>I also mentioned in another comment that your character may not want to kill a Necro simply because Necros can use that death as a way to escape "actual" justice.

This is doubly funny to me because I just spent two and half invasions two weeks ago doing EXACTLY THAT with Vorasus as the acting commanding officer of a provincial militia. "Don't kill him, that just lets him get away!"

The operative difference is that after a week of daily invasions we had GM support to actually throw him in a dungeon. The point being, don't suggest to me that I have no grasp of nuance or alternative solutions.

~ Kougen

An opaque multi-armed devourer lovingly wraps itself around a puddle of water, only to shred it into bite-sized pieces and then swallow each bit in rapid succession.
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 10:00 AM CDT
You should try to treat a Necromancer like you would any of the numerous other 'bad' things we allow PCs to get away with without shoving them permanently in jail or executing them in a final fashion.

A list that is non-exhaustive was provided by Pureblade. If we were serious about Lore, most PCs would be in some kind of anti-magic jail for life or dead.

Really, people just have a mental hangup over 'Necromancer!' But.. they're not actually treated differently than other guilds, the base assumption about them is just that Necromancers ought to have a rougher time to start.

Why does nobody have a problem with the serial murderers that plague the streets of Crossing? Aside from what the Temple and OOC postings claim, they're doing more harm to the peace and well-being of society than your average Necromancer.

Keep in mind Armifer and I are personally glad that people are willing to keep the heat up on Necromancers, but this doesn't translate into us thinking it's a good idea for anyone to be allowed to ruin a Necromancer's gameplay experience by allowing the aggressor and the aggressor only to decide when it's fun for them to go murder them up a PC Necro. As a PC, the Necro has their chance to win too. If the Necromancer has been stupid or is Open to this kind of thing (and the attacker is too), that's another story!

-Z
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 10:39 AM CDT
>If the Necromancer has been stupid or is Open to this kind of thing (and the attacker is too), that's another story!

This * pi.

Necromancers should be willing to take their lumps, especially when they have it coming. People doing the lumping should be the same way.

How blessed are some people, whose lives have no fears, no dreads, to whom sleep is a blessing that comes nightly, and brings nothing but sweet dreams. -Bram Stoker's Dracula
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 10:50 AM CDT
reposted from conflicts ,
A person found guilty of forbidden practice in the provinces is NOT sentenced to death. Necromancy IS NOT punishable by death by law. Killing a Necromancer is vigilante justice. there's some IG lore for not ganking necro's 24/7

"Don't try and blame me for your sins, for the sun has burned me black" Your hollow lives , this world in which we live , I've hurled it back."
Bruce Dickinson - "The Alchemist"
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 10:51 AM CDT
This. It seems like a lot of people on both sides of this "war" have a hard time accepting that sometimes your character is just going to be S.O.L.
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 02:21 PM CDT
>>Why does nobody have a problem with the serial murderers that plague the streets of Crossing? Aside from what the Temple and OOC postings claim, they're doing more harm to the peace and well-being of society than your average Necromancer.

Are you sure nobody has a problem with it?
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 02:43 PM CDT
I think more to the point with some of the "serial killers" and "thugs" is what do the majority of people have at there disposal to do about it.

I know I saw a few people killed for no apparent reason, but if you get involved afterwards they just turn round and kill you too. The fines/justice there about to suffer bothers them not at all. They are "usually" big circled/skilled players who just bully there way around.

I don't know if there subject to SO issues but if not perhaps they should be so that passing through town causes them issues and they cannot use shops and the like.
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 02:54 PM CDT
>>I think more to the point with some of the "serial killers" and "thugs" is what do the majority of people have at there disposal to do about it.

There's also the fact that the provincial government doesn't do much about it either. Some PCs are just going to go with the flow of the society they find themselves in.

My character isn't about to make a big rebellion against lawlessness in Zoluren because he doesn't really care about Zoluren, or most other provinces for that matter.

If I played a Paladin it'd probably be a different issue. Not like there's a lot of them however.
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 02:57 PM CDT
SO being applied to murderers makes esnse to me... not so much in that they are decreed necromantic, but as a threat to "acceptable" civilized ways.

>ask rangu about hair
Rangu scratches his bald head and says, "I don't have any idea what you are asking me about."
>
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 02:59 PM CDT
>but as a threat to "acceptable" civilized ways.

Yep my point in a nutshell to be honest.
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 03:32 PM CDT
>Are you sure nobody has a problem with it?<

Well, it was really an question to players not characters because people have OOC problems with Necromancers, and generically threads aren't started on it, so I'm relatively comfortable with saying that for the most part it's the case.

Of course, 'nobody' is a rhetorical device because I'm sure there's at least one person out there that has a problem with any thing you can come up with.

-Z
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 03:46 PM CDT
>>Well, it was really an question to players not characters because people have OOC problems with Necromancers, and generically threads aren't started on it, so I'm relatively comfortable with saying that for the most part it's the case.

People have been allowed to run around like mass murderers forever. I imagine that's why no one bothers to say anything. The people who are running around killing everyone without any thought to RP aren't going to want a change in that, and people who do want critical thinking doubt it's going to change.

Necromancers are new however, and they also present a concept that goes beyond general murder; the idea that they can end all existence and are thus the greatest evil in the game.

That said, I've never liked the fact that there isn't much critical thinking to a lot of PCs actions(your mention of mindless murder included), but I tend to get worn out raging against causes I don't think will be addressed or have any change.
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 03:56 PM CDT
>>That said, I've never liked the fact that there isn't much critical thinking to a lot of PCs actions(your mention of mindless murder included), but I tend to get worn out raging against causes I don't think will be addressed or have any change.

There will never ever ever be a ton of critical thinking to a lot of PC's actions because it's just a game. As an example, they won't implement some kind of punishment system to force people into critical thinking that makes a person's character stay in jail for 5, 10, 15 RL days. Sure, some can handle it but the majority of the game will not.

A lot of us love the lore behind everything that is DR, and could easily imagine a more realistic environment to enhance both our roleplaying opportunities and character development. There is only but so much the GMs (and anyone else) can do before saying, "Hey, would it be wise to lose 75% of the playerbase by doing X or Y?"

There comes a point in time when one must accept it as a game and move on.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 03:58 PM CDT
One day I decided on one of my characters to do a few ranks of Lockpick on a lark and start a new weapon, so I went into Middens and started collecting boxes with a composite bow.

It took me maybe ten minutes to stop and reflect on the story implications of exactly what I was doing when I was "collecting boxes with a composite bow from the Middens."

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 04:06 PM CDT
>>There will never ever ever be a ton of critical thinking to a lot of PC's actions because it's just a game. As an example, they won't implement some kind of punishment system to force people into critical thinking that makes a person's character stay in jail for 5, 10, 15 RL days. Sure, some can handle it but the majority of the game will not.

Pretty much my point. I don't bother mentioning most of the issues in the game because I know they won't be addressed and the player base either isn't ready for them to be or never will be ready for them.

That said, the majority of players here are used to(and likely wish to keep) a certain type of gameplay. The fact it's a game isn't really the issue, just the fact that they want the game to be a certain way. Different games do different things.
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 05:20 PM CDT
>>It took me maybe ten minutes to stop and reflect on the story implications of exactly what I was doing when I was "collecting boxes with a composite bow from the Middens."

reducing the zoluren poverty levels.

title pre choose Social Engineer

I keep meaning to only have my necro CF/SV rats in emergency situations (right after death/critical wounds/low vit/etc) because I like idea of necro "rat eating" being a "low" form of necrohealing.

Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 05:56 PM CDT
>It took me maybe ten minutes to stop and reflect on the story implications of exactly what I was doing when I was "collecting boxes with a composite bow from the Middens."

I have had multiple characters of mine take up this and similar issues with Paladins and others, and most of the time you'd think I was asking about what cheese Katamba was made of.

Blunts for Sale:
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 06:32 PM CDT
>>I have had multiple characters of mine take up this and similar issues with Paladins and others, and most of the time you'd think I was asking about what cheese Katamba was made of.

I remember forever ago the board discussions over why killing one PC would cause a soul hit while killing a hundred "Human|Kaldar|Rakash|Prydrean|etc thugs|pirates" didn't do a dent to soulstate at all.

Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 10:21 PM CDT
yeah, for someone who's mostly played s'kra, it sort of hit home for my character when she got into swains and started killing things that looked like my her. i suppose it wasn't an issue for the pre-avenger empaths. But anyone else out there it is a "dehumanization" to put it in familiar terms, of ones adversary. This has been frequently used by various military throughout history to think of the "enemy" as less than human in order to not be plagued by ones conscience in the very real act of murder.

Or Murder justified by religion <my god is better than your god, or you are a godless heathen , etc, etc, etc.>, or ones nation <our soil is soaked in blood!> or race <my pigmentation is better than yours, die>.

It is frightening to see in oneself.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 10:30 PM CDT
>But anyone else out there it is a "dehumanization" to put it in familiar terms, of ones adversary.

I think it's just that most gamers are too well trained to think of oppoents as textually active experience. I think it's a shame.

Blunts for Sale:
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 10:36 PM CDT
>>textually active

:D /adult

Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 10:51 PM CDT
Careful, if you get too adult the mods are going to give you a text change operation.

Blunts for Sale:
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 10:58 PM CDT
but that would be textual assault.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 11:18 PM CDT
>but that would be textual assault.

Will that require textual healing?

Blunts for Sale:
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/04/2010 11:58 PM CDT
Y'all are worse than the bards.

-V.

"Reject me not, sweet sounds! oh, let me live,
Till doom espy my towers and scatter them.
A city spell-bound under the aging sun,
Music my rampart, and my only one."
-Edna St. Vincent-Millay
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/05/2010 03:03 AM CDT
>>I keep meaning to only have my necro CF/SV rats in emergency situations (right after death/critical wounds/low vit/etc) because I like idea of necro "rat eating" being a "low" form of necrohealing.

Heh, I do the same thing with eels, for that exact reason.
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/05/2010 03:13 AM CDT
>>Heh, I do the same thing with eels, for that exact reason.<<

When Necromancers are degenerating into characters from an Anne Rice novel, I lose all faith in roleplay. And humanity. Mostly humanity.
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/05/2010 03:20 AM CDT
wow. hadn't actually thought about that refernce. I might be forced to rethink it. I just had amused myself with the idea that after a death, I had to go consume eels to regain my fit to fightness.

As a side note, I think they were leeches for lestat. But I haven't read the book in a decade.
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/05/2010 03:37 AM CDT
Rats were his choice, iirc. It's been just as long for me too, though.
Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/05/2010 04:20 AM CDT
Never read the books, so I wouldn't know either way. I picked rats because they're a level 1 creature I can find in a quiet spot. If I was in Riverhaven, I'd probably do the same thing, only with frogs.

Re: The role of PC Necromancers in player conflicts 09/05/2010 04:48 AM CDT
badgers would probably be theoretically better for conveniences sake than rats. don't have to run thru a big city like crossing.