The challenge 03/11/2010 07:35 AM CST
I think part of what makes playing a necromancer both exciting, but hard at the same time - is that in a way <pardon the nuance> is that we're all carving out new territory.

When I joined the thieves years ago, even though we had somewhat similar <although NOT quite as extreme - after all, Damaris still cared... -- situation of being "hated, feared", etc, etc.-- there were, even then, characters who were there before us. <trailblazers, mostly>. People like Majorly, Nishu, Shaydee, Bedemir who were thieves before me, who would gather in the guild and besides train, they'd also shoot the breeze. Talk. I learned from them what it "meant" to be a Thief.

With the Necromancer guild on the contrary, Necromancers aren't encouraged to congregate together. There is no IC means of gathering and hashing out issues and stories. Guildmates to compare notes with - except on these boards, particularly if you play in seperate game instances. Which isn't RP- as its not IC here on the boards except in the IC folder. So you have to play without the social backups of ones guildmates to rely on. So... there's going to be some trial and error along the way. Mistakes made, miscast thoughts, errors in judgement.

I suppose thats part of the challenge. But its a most difficult one.

the world is broken
Re: The challenge 03/11/2010 09:08 AM CST
I think there's a distinction between the type of gathering you mean and making allies. I've met a few necromancers in the wilds who we spoke together at length about our spells, our activities, our plans, our means for remaining hidden. I wouldn't say we confided in one another, for there was always one hand on our blades and one eye watching the road, but we listened, and we learned.
Conversely, whenever I have enough skill for 3-5 circles, I run back to the guild under Eyes of the Blind and confer with Zamidren. I often stop in the gathering hall to poke around, and have yet to see it empty. The notion of gathering to sit and listen to classes or idly train our magics is fairly contrary to what I think the guild is all about. Our guild meeting hall should be empty, because we shouldn't think for a second we can rely on our guildmates simply because we share the same derangement.

I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.
Re: The challenge 03/11/2010 01:14 PM CST
>Our guild meeting hall should be empty, because we shouldn't think for a second we can rely on our guildmates simply because we share the same derangement.

Yeah I'm thinking Charlie Manson and Ted Bundy in the same room wouldn't exactly be a poster moment for Espirit de Corps

How blessed are some people, whose lives have no fears, no dreads, to whom sleep is a blessing that comes nightly, and brings nothing but sweet dreams. -Bram Stoker's Dracula
Re: The challenge 03/11/2010 02:56 PM CST
>Yeah I'm thinking Charlie Manson and Ted Bundy in the same room wouldn't exactly be a poster moment for Espirit de Corps

Do I smell a sitcom?
Re: The challenge 03/11/2010 03:21 PM CST
>Do I smell a sitcom?

Army of Darkness: The Series

How blessed are some people, whose lives have no fears, no dreads, to whom sleep is a blessing that comes nightly, and brings nothing but sweet dreams. -Bram Stoker's Dracula
Re: The challenge 03/11/2010 05:50 PM CST
I like the dynamic as it is now.

Meeting other incognito Necromancers has been a funny dance, because neither of you really wants to actually admit it to the other.

I've been tempted to gather up a little group of people who "get it" to sort of huddle around and RP with, but that would involve outing my necro so I'm not sure. Plus, finding people who get it is probably harder than it sounds.

Rev. Reene

"Oh, I'm not omniscient -- but I know a lot."
- Mephistopheles, Faust
Re: The challenge 03/11/2010 06:02 PM CST
>> Plus, finding people who get it is probably harder than it sounds.

Very much so. I have a small list of people I've snuck by in the commons setup with highlights. Everytime I run into one, I try and strike up a conversation to feel them out. Seen several of them hounded.

Only one has been anywhere near on the mark with a willingness to RP. But after three days of running into each other and engaging in small-talk, I was still unsure whether or not to go with outing myself to that particular individual.

I'm not trying to fill any cover story or any faux-role, I've just not let myself get into a position yet where anyone's thought to ask.

So, I just sort of moved on. It's actually been a few weeks since I've seen any of the first few necromancers that I ran into when the guild was initially announced. Mainly spend my days in the wilderness chatting a very nice Moon Mage who wanders by from time to time.

You wave your hand through the mist of the fountain and rub the wetness between your fingertips.
Rivalin says, "Yep, it's water."
Re: The challenge 03/11/2010 06:10 PM CST
Yeah I refuse to hang out in the commons room.

I did before the guild was announced but after that I got way too skittish because I had a feeling I'd know what would happen.

I'm glad to entertain any neccies I find in the wilderness though. Or any that find me.

Rev. Reene

"Oh, I'm not omniscient -- but I know a lot."
- Mephistopheles, Faust
Re: The challenge 03/11/2010 07:02 PM CST
Thats sort of how Ive been running it as well. Ive got one person that I know I can rely on and thats pretty much it. Ive looked around a few times trying to spot signs on anyone but even the couple I did notice I kept on my way.

I certainly hope I find atleast 2-3 others during my time that are worth the attempt. While solitary life certainly has its ups having those 2-3 would be a boon... not only to share research but to lessen the chances of getting wiped out. One on one is one thing but not many people would attempt to attack a group. Not that I condone being blatant about being a necro mind you... its more for the eventuality of being put in the Necro Bingo Books that Im already seeing pop up.
Re: The challenge 03/11/2010 09:01 PM CST
I WISH I could find someone to RP with. Granted, I'm probably not the best, but I would love to learn and interact!

The only time I've ever been in the commons, was when the stairs ate me and spit me out. Other than that, I've never been anywhere in there.

I've very successfully been able to RP with people around Crossing when I'm there, but its really just small talk RP and doesn't go anywhere.

Here's to finding you people sometime! grins
Re: The challenge 03/12/2010 04:37 AM CST
Heh, I love those stairs.

"By Idon's hairy hangnails!"
~Tsinlee
Re: The challenge 03/13/2010 11:10 AM CST
(Agrees with everything said.)

I spend a good amount of time in the Commons. So far no consequences, or at least no PvP deaths -- since I don't go in town while visible. (98 Stealing so far!) I definitely see a lot of people on my highlight list get Hounded though. I'm not quite sure why they'd allow that to happen.

In the past I've wanted to set up an albredine ring network and have a little Necromancy Cell. Never actually used those things in game, but it seems like a fun parallel to RL fringe groups.

- Var
Re: The challenge 03/13/2010 11:52 AM CST
>> In the past I've wanted to set up an albredine ring network and have a little Necromancy Cell.

I think that would be a nifty idea. All it would take is a small group of characters who know each other well to start. Then each of them, upon discovering another necromancer who 'gets it' would be able to extend the network. Over time it might not be a large network, but would be very useful. I can already picture arriving in a new place and getting assistance on local safe areas, people to avoid, state of the inquisition, local customs to emulate.

The big precautions, of course, would be finding out if there was a way to keep it from being visible. Seeing a bunch of people suddenly wearing a certain color of ring, then having one of them being accused of necromancy would be detrimental; albeit fun in the sense of everyone clearing their rings and reseting.

The other would be the level of trust in openly broadcasting your name in a new area to potential strangers on the trust that the person who spread the network to that area vetted everyone well. Not just necromancers, but ones who played the right game, so to speak.

Interesting idea though.

You wave your hand through the mist of the fountain and rub the wetness between your fingertips.
Rivalin says, "Yep, it's water."
Re: The challenge 03/13/2010 01:57 PM CST
That is an interesting idea.
Re: The challenge 03/13/2010 03:12 PM CST
I prefer crystal rings, by and large.

Colored albredine is a huge pain in the ass to work with.

Rev. Reene

>poke eyes
You can't poke the Eyes of the Thirteen.
Re: The challenge 03/13/2010 05:15 PM CST
interesting idea. although the crystal rings are useful when you just wish to think to one individual, being able to think privately to a small group would be good.

as far as it not being seen, there is now a shop set up <in plat> that has "gweth-hiders". Perhaps some type of ring AND some "gloves" that hide the ring of various type of armor could be sold in the guild itself in a tiered area.

the world is broken
Re: The challenge 03/18/2010 12:58 PM CDT
I really dig this idea though it would be hellish to set up. Still a great concept.