Long interlude... 12/31/2009 03:09 PM CST
So I was reading a novel a friend lended me, and this struck me as familiar.

She was silent for a moment more. Then she said, "Do you know why Cowl has made a study of necromancy? And why I have joined him?"
"No."
"Because necromancy embraces the power of death, just as magic embraces the power of life. And as magic can be twisted and perverted to cruel and destructive ends, necromancy can be turned upon its nature as well. Death can be warded off, as I did for the wounded man last night. Life can be served by that dark power, if one's will and purpose are strong."
"Uh-huh," I said. "You got involved with the darkest and most corruptive, insanity-causing forces in the universe so that you could jump-start wounded bodies to life."
She moved her hand, a sudden, slashing motion. "No. No, you idiot. Don't you see the potential here? The possibility to end death."
"Uh. End death?"
"You will die," she said. "I will die. Cowl will die. Everyone now walking this tired old world knows but one solid, immutable fact. Their life will end. Yours. Mine. Everyone's."
"Yeah," I said. "That's why they call us 'mortals.' Because of the mortality."
"Why?" she asked.
"What?"
"Why?" she repeated. "Why must we die?"
"Because that's the way it is," I said.
"Why must that be the way it is?" she said. "Why must we all live with that pain of separation? With horrible grief? With rage and loss and sorrow and vengeance ruling the lives of every soul beneath the sky? What if we could change it?"
(Skip past some hypotheticals about if great people kept on duing great things, everyone having more chances to improve themselves if they never died, etc.)
Impossible. You couldn't just drive death away.
Could you?
Maybe that wasn't the point. Maybe this was one of those things in which the effort meant more than the outcome. I mean, if there was a chance, even a tiny, teeny chance that Kumori was right, and that the world could be so radically changed, wouldn't I be obliged to try? Even if I never reached the goal, never finished the quest, wouldn't the attempt to vanquish death itself be a worthy pursuit?

Fighting fire with fire, using "evil" stuff for good ends... ladies and gentlemen, the Great Work.
Now if only I could remember what they use to pave that road into hell...

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

Faerie tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know dragons exist. Faerie tales tell children that dragons can be killed.
- G.K. Chesterton
Re: Long interlude... 12/31/2009 03:36 PM CST
> Now if only I could remember what they use to pave that road into hell...

The bones of a T-rex.
Re: Long interlude... 12/31/2009 03:42 PM CST
i think "good intentions" was what paved the road to hell. :-). And, what was the name of that book?

If you are going to damn yourself, my child, you might as well do it all the way.
Re: Long interlude... 12/31/2009 05:11 PM CST
That entire book is my favorite of the series so far. I really hope we see more or Cowl and Kumori soon.

"The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins? " ~ Edgar Allen Poe
Re: Long interlude... 12/31/2009 05:48 PM CST
Mind posting the book's title and author?
Re: Long interlude... 12/31/2009 06:44 PM CST
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher for the win. And the name of the novel in the series is Grave Peril.

"By Idon's hairy hangnails!"
~Tsinlee
Re: Long interlude... 01/01/2010 09:32 AM CST
That's a book series? LOVED the tv show

>>I'm constantly amazed by the things that people do in game that would get them punched in the face in RL, but then they try to claim that they didn't do anything that would warrent a PvP situation.<<
-Evran
Re: Long interlude... 01/01/2010 02:25 PM CST
<<That's a book series? LOVED the tv show

The show sucked. Read the books!

http://jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/

~Tieriana~
Re: Long interlude... 01/01/2010 02:57 PM CST
The show was... different. The only thing it had in common with the books was the name. It was good if you didn't compare it to the books, it was terrible if you did.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"I've always held Elanthia's ultimate end will shortly follow after either an "Oops." or a "Hey, that's neat." from within a Moon Mage guild." ~Z
Re: Long interlude... 01/01/2010 11:02 PM CST
I remember reading the first 100 pages of one of the books and just thinking it was dreadful. Like, fanfic teen romance dreadful.

I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.
Re: Long interlude... 01/01/2010 11:06 PM CST
>> Like, fanfic teen romance dreadful.

Look at where you are right now.

Hey guys, I hear there's another Twilight novel coming out. You should check that out.

Rev. Reene

A servant stops you and says, "Necromancers are not allowed to go there."
Re: Long interlude... 01/01/2010 11:22 PM CST
It wasn't until I was reading the final book of Codex Alera (the author's other series) that I realized I wasn't all that impressed with his writing. All of humanity was uniting to save the day, and all I could think was, "If George R. R. Martin was writing this, they'd all die." I wonder if I'll have similar feelings about the next Dresden novel.
Re: Long interlude... 01/02/2010 02:38 AM CST
>>Hey guys, I hear there's another Twilight novel coming out. You should check that out.

There's a limit to how much fuel you should be adding to the fire, y'know.
Re: Long interlude... 01/02/2010 02:40 AM CST
>> There's a limit to how much fuel you should be adding to the fire, y'know.

If we're burning Twilight books, I'll add as much as we've got.

Rev. Reene

A servant stops you and says, "Necromancers are not allowed to go there."
Re: Long interlude... 01/02/2010 07:28 AM CST
>> There's a limit to how much fuel you should be adding to the fire, y'know.

>>If we're burning Twilight books, I'll add as much as we've got.

And I'd be happy to throw in the moves, merchandise, and any annoying fans who are too attached to just "let it go".

Alexii points at a Velakan slaver and shouts, "Another one! Don't let it get away!"
Re: Long interlude... 01/02/2010 08:28 AM CST
>And I'd be happy to throw in the moves, merchandise, and any annoying fans who are too attached to just "let it go".

Twilight falls into the uncanny valley between Harry Potter and adult fiction... I wonder at what age, Twilight becomes as repulsive as it is...?

I've read other YA stuff that doesn't make my skin crawl. I guess they must be doing it wrong.

-pete
Re: Long interlude... 01/02/2010 09:09 AM CST
WTB Sparkly skin tone empathic shift. Also, brooding eyes.

I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.
Re: Long interlude... 01/02/2010 09:26 AM CST
>>The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher for the win. And the name of the novel in the series is Grave Peril.

Actually it was "Dead Beat," which is book 7 in the series.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

Faerie tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know dragons exist. Faerie tales tell children that dragons can be killed.
- G.K. Chesterton
Re: Long interlude...::THREAD OVER:: 01/02/2010 02:45 PM CST

Book discussions belong over in Tunes Tomes & Trash.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.