Necromancer RP 12/18/2009 11:45 PM CST
This is an honest question. I was away from DR for much of the Necromancer build-up and I've just begun messing around with a Necromancer character.

From what I could gather, the Necromancer Guild is/was billed as catering to more advanced DR players and those tending toward heavier RP.

How are you guys seeing the "heavier RP" side of it playing out? With Necromancers reviled by the vast majority of the population, and with them fearful even of their own guildmates in some/many instances, where do you see meaningful RP coming into play?

Are any of you necromancer types participating in sustained RP with others? My Necromancer has barely left the guild, but from what I can gather by reading the forums, most of you are either attempting to hide from all civilization or running for your lives, neither of which seem especially conducive to rousing RP.

Basically I'm wondering how all of you (including GMs, if they care to chime in) see your necromancer's RP opportunities playing out. Are you seeing it now? Will it only come once your Necromancer can legitimately hold his own against an accuser?
Re: Necromancer RP 12/18/2009 11:58 PM CST
I am hiding in plain sight. In town. Among you.

This probably wont last because eventually I'll smell too much like what I am but for now... I am an undead wolf in wolf's clothing.

- L
Re: Necromancer RP 12/19/2009 12:08 AM CST
The fun is currently seeing how long I can go without being outed in a significant way while still living in the middle of town.

Your mind hears Barahai thinking, "First rule of Ratha is, you don't talk about Ratha"
Your mind hears Taeja thinking, "we fail at life"
Re: Necromancer RP 12/19/2009 12:11 AM CST
>>I am hiding in plain sight. In town. Among you.

This. I'm still a little paranoid, but it seems to being ok so far.
Re: Necromancer RP 12/19/2009 12:12 AM CST
It's a lot of fun, isn't it?

Rev. Reene

(8:07:56 PM) Totenus: Also I thumped my first person
(8:08:05 PM) Reene: How did it feel
(8:08:09 PM) Totenus: pretty awesome
Re: Necromancer RP 12/19/2009 12:12 AM CST
>>With Necromancers reviled by the vast majority of the population, and with them fearful even of their own guildmates in some/many instances, where do you see meaningful RP coming into play?

I imagine it's the thrill of the ride and not necessarily the end for most. Being hated but somehow managing to survive and still accomplish some goals in the process.

I know my Barb's goal for example is shaping out to be pretty much impossible from a game balance standpoint, but it'll mainly be his path towards it that I'll enjoy.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Necromancer RP 12/19/2009 12:18 AM CST
Isn't avoiding civilization RPing? If not, I've been "doing it wrong" for years now.
Re: Necromancer RP 12/19/2009 09:40 AM CST
I havnt had to hide my necromancer, nor have I been forced to run for my life when playing. I've found the RP to be immersing even from the get-go.

Book asks, "They dont like us. They never will. So what are you going to do about it?"

Thats pretty much it for me. The options seem limited only to my ability to pull them off. So, to answer your question, I think the ability to involve your necromancer in "heavy RP" is viable from the begining. Being able to stand toe-to-toe with an accuser isnt all there is to this wonderful guild.

Alexii points at a Velakan slaver and shouts, "Another one! Don't let it get away!"
Re: Necromancer RP 12/19/2009 10:55 AM CST
Current RP consists of...

Hiding in plain sight.

Teaching other Necrolord Babies the best way we can go about our business and not be hung or burned or executed.

Working to figure out how to become a Lich, or Finish the Great Work before old crazies like Xerasyth.

Developing concepts from a few rituals and magics on how one might have went about creating the Adan'f.

Trying to find the secret book that will give me great power with no responsibility.

Surviving this damn Inquisition.

Involving myself in the Inquisition to hunt those Damn Necromancers....

Figuring out just when the Gods are going to smack me for getting Favors still....

Laughing at the Gods for letting us remain broken and not fixing us a long time ago.

Pondering and studying why elves live longer than humans and how possibly might a Human capitalize on this knowledge. (Poor Elves)

I have others but that is just my current delights.

Oh, and finding Abasha to give her lots of hugs, for being the Necromancer Advocate. I cannot think of a person more twisted and wonderful for the job.

The Dragon priest hisses, "We'd have won, too, if it weren't for thossse meddling kidsss."
>
Re: Necromancer RP 12/19/2009 11:55 AM CST
I have to say, I've been very impressed by the amount and quality of the roleplay that's been going on in general. The roleplay and how to do it is really up to you guys -- We've set the stage for you, but it's your show. :)

-GM Abasha

When the squirrels rule the world, my work will be complete.
Re: Necromancer RP 12/19/2009 04:11 PM CST
>>Involving myself in the Inquisition to hunt those Damn Necromancers....

I hope those going this route are thoroughly enjoying themselves and the Crazy Train.
Re: Necromancer RP 12/19/2009 04:13 PM CST
Seriously.

Cael and Szrael in the same room together... it's dangerously close to hitting a critical mass of Completely Bugcrap Insane.

Rev. Reene

Re: Necromancer RP 12/19/2009 04:13 PM CST
Some great answers here. Thanks folks. Makes me excited to begin fleshing out my character.
Re: Necromancer RP 12/19/2009 04:20 PM CST
I think we need to find a way to take the Inquisition down a river. Perhaps the Amazon.

Fear for any GMNPCS named Aguirre.

... Hmmm maybe THAT'S what I should have named my necro.

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: Necromancer RP 12/19/2009 05:10 PM CST
hah, i'll roll up monkeyus
Re: Necromancer RP 12/19/2009 08:11 PM CST
>>Aguirre

One of the greatest portrait of insanity I've ever seen.
Re: Necromancer RP 12/19/2009 08:13 PM CST
right next to whoever lets dick clark keep going on tv. poor dick...
Re: Necromancer RP 12/20/2009 09:25 AM CST
>>Cael and Szrael in the same room together... it's dangerously close to hitting a critical mass of Completely Bugcrap Insane.

Repeated for emphasis.

"I kept my workshop of filthy creation: my eye-balls were starting from their sockets in attending to the details of my employment...and often did my human nature turn with loathing from my occupation..." - Mary Shelly, Frankenstein
Re: Necromancer RP 12/20/2009 01:53 PM CST
We just want to love you, Tater. :(

Rev. Reene

Re: Necromancer RP 12/20/2009 06:08 PM CST
>>We just want to love you, Tater. :(

Teach him how to be redeemed. :P

Gonif,

Are you suggesting that a spell be written specifically to allow necromancers to move into an area protected by holy magic for the purpose of constructing a vulture heart candy trail for Khurek to follow?

-Totenus
Re: Necromancer RP 12/20/2009 09:43 PM CST
>>how all of you (including GMs, if they care to chime in) see your necromancer's RP opportunities playing out.

Not so much for me I'm afraid. From what I've seen you can't really RP on the gweths because you get smashed. Some call that RP, but I call it killing a chance for RP. I had something going on the other night with one of my necromancers, but I couldn't finished because my gweth shattered. Then I tried to have a "chat" with Szrael, but got loaded on before I finished a sentence. Now, that's not entirely bad. Being chased around was okay, but they gave up way to easily and it didn't last nearly as long as it could have. I think the RP is hindered a bit myself for most of us purely based on our skills and the lack of ability to fight back.

Now, Tote got a nifty chance at something. I think it's posted here in this folder somewhere. It could be just me, but I've noticed that in most cases RP situations arrive alot more when you're part of the vast groups that actually do it or are friends with the same group. Then you get a chance to chat about things or to get a basic story line and let the players roll with it to see what happens. Either way, I'll probably end up kicking the necromancer I use for roleplay to curb eventually and just useing the one nobody knows.

No ranger stands alone.
Re: Necromancer RP 12/20/2009 09:56 PM CST
>>From what I've seen you can't really RP on the gweths because you get smashed. Some call that RP, but I call it killing a chance for RP.

Agreed. This is why I don't bother attempting it. Giving players the ability to censor the RP attempts of other players who might have a dissenting viewpoint is pretty sinister.
Re: Necromancer RP 12/20/2009 09:57 PM CST
>>Then I tried to have a "chat" with Szrael, but got loaded on before I finished a sentence. Now, that's not entirely bad. Being chased around was okay, but they gave up way to easily and it didn't last nearly as long as it could have. I think the RP is hindered a bit myself for most of us purely based on our skills and the lack of ability to fight back

Yeah, we don't want to actually harass any necro players. We're just trying to give people cause to at least put up EotB or something if they happen to be traipsing through the town green or what not. Add some flavor or fun to the whole necro thing.

The other thing is that the official Inquisition line is accuse them to the guards and then capture them to hand over to Khurek and Sinstra to be stripped of their profane aegis(es?). Szrael enjoys killing necros but it's secondary to her goal of removing them entirely from the plane, which killing alone (even killing over and over and over) cannot do.

I had to wriggle a little to bring her RP around to that line of thinking, but her previous stance of murdermurderragekill would probably have been problematic for numerous reasons, so I guess this will do.

Walking into an angry mob or a group of Inquisitors and like-minded types with any sort of apologetic stance re: necromancy is going to have predictable results though.

If you want us to chase you more thoroughly stance your dude open and we will be happy to oblige!

-- Player of Szrael --

"Necromancy is Bad" (GM Armifer)
Re: Necromancer RP 12/20/2009 10:04 PM CST
Basically what Szrael said.

We're actually kind of trying to make this fun for everyone, not just the ones doing the chasing (hi).

A lot of players won't, mind - everything from metagaming to persistent harassment to outright griefing can and will happen - but if you want to tangle with the actual recognized inquisitoring types and their helpers, well, we'll try to make it fun for you too.

I've already had some pretty fun interactions with necromancers and suspected necromancers. It's a lot more fun when they play along with us, I'll say that much.

Rev. Reene

Re: Necromancer RP 12/20/2009 11:01 PM CST
Why would you want to conduct a significant portion of RP on the gweth? That's like holding a tea party with each guest seated in a separate corner of a public square during a market. I don't know what to think if this is appealing.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: Necromancer RP 12/21/2009 02:06 AM CST
<<Why would you want to conduct a significant portion of RP on the gweth? That's like holding a tea party with each guest seated in a separate corner of a public square during a market.

It's what makes sense given the plotline, I say. And the more public faces of the Inquisition have been doing a fine job, thus far. I talk about the plot to friends IG and in AIM, and was worth of a mention in conversation with my RL wife.

So what if it's just over the gweth? It's like saying a conversation isn't a conversation unless it's in person. You can still say what you want over the telephone.

And as far as I can tell, Szrael is a character who is very close to slipping her moorings. Really almost crazy. And she acts like it -- all the time. When I first dealt with her, I had a real life reaction to the character. That doesn't happen often when I RP.

Good work, I say. Keep it up. I'll keep on disliking you guys, Necro and Inquisitor alike ;)

~Q.
Re: Necromancer RP 12/21/2009 07:47 AM CST
>>Why would you want to conduct a significant portion of RP on the gweth?

Everything Quelgash just said. Many many incidents/RP's begin on the gweth. Empath states this, necro says that, ranger chimes in with tree hugging points of view, cleric damns the necro, Moon mage babbles on crazily for a few moments, thief laughs and remains indifferent, then of course somewhere along the line starts in with your mama jokes or yells something about your face. My point being is it's the start of something in many or most cases. Half of DR wouldn't know what is going on if not for gweth announcements like, "Necrobob is here at the temple trying to burn it down!"

So anyway, it's a good place to argue semantics with the do gooders or a place to start fussing with the indifferent over right and wrong. From there they can choose to meet up and have a discussion or get pwned whatever may be the case. I trully don't see any one form of RP being "wrong" with the exception of some of the obvious stupid things that have happened and I still think those people knew what they were doing.

No ranger stands alone.
Re: Necromancer RP 12/21/2009 11:41 AM CST
>>Not so much for me I'm afraid. From what I've seen you can't really RP on the gweths because you get smashed.

I'm pretty sure it was Ventuul who smashed you, if I'm remembering who you are right. He's pretty much at his wit's end with Necromancers, and is looking to burn villages and eat babies. It wasn't really intended to stifle your RP, but to express his anger.

When your character came to have a conversation with us outside the Bank, Cerval accused him of being a possible Necromancer. That's when Ven advanced on him and you had him run off, which is all good. I didn't mean to cut you off really, but at times it's hard to express your characters rage and allow the Necro PCs some leeway. Trust me when I say there is hindrance both ways.
Re: Necromancer RP 12/21/2009 02:15 PM CST
What happened to you (and to my character) is just a reflect of the degree to which the odds are stacked against us. The Inquisition will thwart you in every way that it can, including smashing your gweths. I happen to know that Szrael even tried to smash Tote's.

It's one of the things you have to roll with. Even Tote was forced to withdraw from the province due to constant pressure--and ever increasing social outrage from murders and the like.

There may be opportunities for resistance, but never forget how heavily the balance of power is weighed against you.

"I kept my workshop of filthy creation: my eye-balls were starting from their sockets in attending to the details of my employment...and often did my human nature turn with loathing from my occupation..." - Mary Shelly, Frankenstein
Re: Necromancer RP 12/21/2009 02:27 PM CST
Part of me felt bad for abruptly ending the scene we had arranged by attacking Totenus, but I couldn't imagine Cael doing anything but mindlessly raging out at that point.

sry tater

Rev. Reene

Re: Necromancer RP 12/21/2009 02:40 PM CST
>>I happen to know that Szrael even tried to smash Tote's.

I've been trying avoid smashing people who seem to want to get in on the RP unless they take it to a level that my character cannot abide (calling her a Necromancer, claiming to be/being a Necromancer, or other such weighty things).

But Szrael has a special place in her crazy, rage-filled heart for Tote.

<crazyvision>She also doesn't think that a necromancer can say anything worth hearing, and a gweth is just a tool for them to poison the minds of dozens of people at once. Most of whom are woefully ill-equipped to deal with the insidious arguments a necromancer might make, especially one who seemingly duped all of his friends and family for many years like Totenus did. </crazyvision>

It's hard because my character just wants to shut a lot of these people up, but I know OOC'ly that allowing them to continue on is probably better for RP.

-- Player of Szrael --

"Necromancy is Bad" (GM Armifer)
Re: Necromancer RP 12/21/2009 03:37 PM CST
Just out of curiosity, because my character isn't involved in the RP that you guys are playing up, could you post some of the exchanges (paraphrase?)?

I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.
Re: Necromancer RP 12/21/2009 06:28 PM CST
Szrael often posts her logs in the Zoluren events folder. That should catch you up on a lot of what we're alluding to here.

Re: Necromancer RP 01/14/2010 01:18 AM CST
Avoiding civilization is an rp choice, regardless of guild. I haven't seen a memo saying hermits are banned rp'ly.

I do however think a non out necromancer being casual is a good idea. A combination of hiding in plain sight, at the same time practicing craft in secret seems the trick to remaining not out, as long as possible. There's a balance, and the extreme of either will make people curious.

Personally I've found it incredibly easy to stay hidden. I don't know if it's sheer luck, my conscious efforts, or a combination. I'm not complaining though, I'm sure it won't always be this easy and it allows me to train in peace.

Once out, what one 'should' do, really depends on many factors, rp style, size, connections. But an out necro flaunting themselves, should be prepared for consequences, and there 'should' be consequences. The day a known necromancer can hang out in the middle of town (without consequence) is the day the ideal of the Necromancer is dead, and it becomes 'just another guild'. I hope that day never comes.

What saddens me is how many necro's I've seen collecting in the middle of towns, running around with buffs up in public. When it's impossible NOT to notice them, there's a problem. They make a mockery of the whole thing, and should be put down.
Re: Necromancer RP 01/14/2010 02:56 AM CST
for someone not outted, i'll summarize what mr. B told me <in plat> while i was still a commoner <although he "knew" of my ... aspirations. This was while he was standing in the middle of town, with all sorts of Inquisitionary messaging going on at the time. <random NPC commoners being rounded up by the hounds, etc.>

If you run, they think you have done something wrong. Sometimes it is easier to hide in plain sight.

"If Elanthia can survive putting a dragon inside of its molten core, I think it can survive a few black-robed magicians sitting on Gibbet Hill"-<parshift>
Re: Necromancer RP 12/05/2012 09:51 PM CST
>>I am hiding in plain sight. In town. Among you.

This probably wont last because eventually I'll smell too much like what I am but for now... I am an undead wolf in wolf's clothing.

- L>>

"The wolf moves among the sheep."