What Next? 11/30/2010 04:18 PM CST
How many necros out there have considered what they will do with their immortality once they have attained it? I can see where the perverse move from immortality to godhood with little concern for the consequences. The Philosophers, however, (by nature of their ideology) seem to require some greater purpose to justify their pursuits and misdeeds. What else could separate them from the garden-variety monster?

To the players of Philosophers out there, why does your character seek eternity? What would your character like to do once that pursuit has been achieved? Is your Philosopher fairly confident that he/she actually WILL achieve that end?
Re: What Next? 12/01/2010 08:43 AM CST
My character's foremost concern is acquiring knowledge. His persuit of necromancy is a persuit of knowledge with the pleasant side effect of if he achieves immortality he will have much more time to acquire even more knowledge.
Re: What Next? 12/01/2010 09:00 AM CST
Mine wants to be surrounded by finest things. Works of art, furniture, music, and most importantly, wine and cigars.

{and recently dead things}
Re: What Next? 12/01/2010 09:35 AM CST
its really up in the air. for my character, her IC motivation was to somehow use necromancy to stop Lyras <set a thief to catch a thief> - from 1. destroying the world
2. harming her people <the s'kra of muspar'i

since the fall of lyras though, she's more or less toed the line of the philosophers. learning more knowledge to "defeat death". But somehow, she still has enough of the Mur in her to be a bit unsatisfied with the "human" predominance <"i hate snakes" - sort of freaked her first time she heard it> within the philosophers.

I suppose decisions will have to be made soon as to the outcome of many things, as eventually she'll reach a point where there will be no turning back. There's still, imho, way too much PAFO here! Once there's a library or something within the guild, and there's more than one guildhall, perhaps the choices will be more available. Once they make some of the other pathways available <the perverse, the redemption, etc.>

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: What Next? 12/01/2010 11:28 AM CST
Before my Plat character joined the Philosophy, he was employed for many years by a local Lord to be the curator of a small collection of items of various historical value. Once the promise land of Living Immortality is reached, he will most likely return to his life of preserving, maintaining and protecting things, and possibly people, of value.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: What Next? 12/01/2010 12:27 PM CST
Nice Topic. My characters goal for immortality is
First. To find and destroy the human Tezirite , whom he believes entered the void, that enslaved him for most of his natural born life .

Secondly , to disprove the authority of the Gods . Specifically to prove to the Prydaen race that Demrris and Tenemlor are nothing more then a form or "necromancers" themselves that are monopolizing on Eu/nature and that the Wheel is a candy coated lie covering a "chain of fate."

Re: What Next? 12/01/2010 06:41 PM CST
My nec believes that fear is what prevents most from engaging in a "Great Work" of their own. Most denizens of the world go about their daily lives begrudgingly accepting that they must eventually end. Many point out that it is the will of the gods or that death is necessary to maintain balance, but he feels that most of them have come to these conclusion out of fear of the red spiral, offering them a tightly confined box to think in. He is utterly certain the masses will follow his path once he can prove that they too can live forever and without the threat of the divine retribution he suffered along the way.

In his eyes, immortality is something he can almost certainty attain, no matter how deluded this view may be. Simply achieving eternal life, he thinks, will be the easy part and is only step 1. Step 2 is unification of the now-eternal masses towards the common goal of step 3: Creation.

He sees the potential of hunger, overpopulation and indiscipline that could result from the death of death. His solution is a collective effort to continually produce the material necessary to sustain an exponentially growing population, primarily with magic. This, he feels, is beyond his personal scope, even with an eternity to contemplate and experiment. Beyond that, to keep such information to himself and purely for his own would merely make him another immortal. He believes a collective effort is, if not the only potential solution, the only "moral" solution.

As for those paladins and clerics and others who, even once he offers perpetual existence, still decide to accept death (and there will undoubtedly be some), they may wither away and die in obscurity to be slowly forgotten by those who survive them. The Immortals too will be irrelevant and slowly fade from the minds of the races.
Re: What Next? 12/02/2010 08:31 AM CST
To make the Immortals say "You were right, we were wrong. We're sorry."
Re: What Next? 12/02/2010 12:44 PM CST
I intend to make a cupcake.

>
You're not used to life as a fish, are you?
Re: What Next? 12/02/2010 12:59 PM CST
Here is a fun little counter question. What would your character do if the Great Work was unable to create a 'Living Immortality' and ended in Failure?

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: What Next? 12/02/2010 01:24 PM CST
<<Here is a fun little counter question. What would your character do if the Great Work was unable to create a 'Living Immortality' and ended in Failure?>>

That's not a possibility. However; if he dies before than, then I guess he'll have his soul washed and recycled.
Re: What Next? 12/02/2010 01:41 PM CST
>>Here is a fun little counter question. What would your character do if the Great Work was unable to create a 'Living Immortality' and ended in Failure?

I always viewed The Great Work as more of an experimental mindset that wants to prove X. If someone fails to accomplish the task, that doesn't mean The Great Work itself is a failure, but that theoretical implementation didn't work for some reason or another.

Of course, as more and more theoretical implementations fail, someone reasonable might want to look back and reassess things. But if you're a sociopath/fanatic/etc, you're probably going to keep pushing that boulder up the hill.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: What Next? 12/02/2010 04:28 PM CST
going either the redemptive or the lich route will of necessity have the mind-set that the "great work" is flawed. For those who keep to it though, if it is eventually "revealed" somehow to be a failure, they might either reevaluate the means of "getting there" or reach toward some other more
"obtainable" but perverse goal <world domination - world destruction - see lyras>

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: What Next? 04/13/2011 12:12 PM CDT
Bondì, Roberto (2006). Blu come un'arancia. Gaia tra mito e scienza. Torino, Utet: Prefazione di Enrico Bellone

Everyone pushes the boulder up the hill. Therefor the Great Work is valid.

chuckwiz
Re: What Next? 04/13/2011 01:00 PM CDT
I like it