a couple of "philosophical" questions 08/24/2010 09:52 AM CDT
1. is it possible that someone could be both redeemed and perverse at the same time? In other words, the gods tolerate you - but society still hates your guts?

2. This is a long one. RL examples are presented only as a frame of reference, and not for political debate.

The question is how much violence - or threat of violence - can one use without being perverse? The idea being as - if you come after me terrible things will happen. Without doing something so over-the-top that would cause them to come after you at any cost. The real life analolgy - the situation which prevailed between the US and the former USSR during the cold war of MADD <mutually assured destruction> - basically kept each nation from nuking the other for fear of destroying themselves and the planet at the same time - or the idea of retribution, which certain nations use even today to prevent their hostile neighbors from taking potshots at their cities.

The idea is in where to draw the line. Whether violence used simply to keep people away from your interests, and not for the sake of violence itself.

RL example where this failed miserably - the attack on Pearl Harbor, which was intended not as a declaration of war, but rather to try to keep the US from the empire of japan's oil and other pacific ocean island interests. This failed miserably - as the admiral <yamamoto i believe> was quoted as saying "I fear we have awoken a sleeping giant".

The idea for the Necromancers - how to keep others afraid of you enough to avoid attack, but not to become a Lyras-level threat so that they exert all their efforts towards your destruction. Not to do things too outrageous", but to keep them at a distance so you may work on the great work in solitude.

Whether to aspire for power in order to have enough to keep others away- and not to aspire to power for powers sake.

Is this considered perverse?

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: a couple of "philosophical" questions 08/24/2010 11:21 AM CDT
Perverse means high social outrage and Redeemed means no (?) Divine Outrage, so they can both definitely happen at once.

You can also be creepy/scary/threatening without being Perverse, too.
Re: a couple of "philosophical" questions 08/24/2010 06:07 PM CDT
> 1. is it possible that someone could be both redeemed and perverse at the same time? In other words, the gods tolerate you - but society still hates your guts?

I think you are slightly mistaken in your understanding of perverse. You should go back and freshen up on this. It is entirely possible to have low SO but still be perverse.

How blessed are some people, whose lives have no fears, no dreads, to whom sleep is a blessing that comes nightly, and brings nothing but sweet dreams. -Bram Stoker's Dracula
Re: a couple of "philosophical" questions 08/26/2010 02:38 AM CDT
>>I think you are slightly mistaken in your understanding of perverse. You should go back and freshen up on this. It is entirely possible to have low SO but still be perverse.

hmm your slightly mistaken, to be perverse is to flaunt your power in public. Thus gaining social outrage flaunting your power in you private, is just being a necromancer.

Re: a couple of "philosophical" questions 08/26/2010 03:18 PM CDT
>hmm your slightly mistaken, to be perverse is to flaunt your power in public. Thus gaining social outrage flaunting your power in you private, is just being a necromancer.

My mistake. You are correct. I was confusing apples and oranges based on a situation or two where someone with high DO was set to perverse manually. Sorry about that.

How blessed are some people, whose lives have no fears, no dreads, to whom sleep is a blessing that comes nightly, and brings nothing but sweet dreams. -Bram Stoker's Dracula