Thanatology theory question – where do the souls go? 07/25/2010 11:45 PM CDT
When we use Call from Beyond on a humanoid corpse (the kind with souls and favors and etc etc etc), is there any IC understanding as to where the soul goes after that? Do Philosophers, without intention or knowledge how, end up "locking" the corpse, denying the soul the ability to renter it, when performing the arise ritual?

If the soul is locked out when the corpse is made into a zombie, where does that soul go? Did it walk, yet without the general fanfare of doing so? Or can it still go the normal depart route where it is granted a whole new body?
Re: Thanatology theory question – where do the souls go? 07/26/2010 12:38 AM CDT
You may find that this is illustrative as a starting point for the physics of the Elanthian soul:

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Post:Death_and_the_Soul_-_5/11/2009_-_1:39:41

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Thanatology theory question – where do the souls go? 07/26/2010 12:43 AM CDT
When PCs use it, they're basically making meat puppets and do not interact with the soul in any meaningful way.

It's been theorized that's not always the case, especially with Lyras (see Prydaen commentary about the souls not returning properly to the Wheel).

-Z
Re: Thanatology theory question – where do the souls go? 07/26/2010 01:01 AM CDT
the great work proceeds through a healthy <or unhealthy, depending on your perspective> amount of experimentation.

To seek the answer to this question, head to throne city thugs <critters that normally "walk". Turn a healthy number of them into zombies.

Write about your results.

Necromancy provides the only source of reliable and potent life extension on Elanthia.

Re: Thanatology theory question – where do the souls go? 07/26/2010 01:36 AM CDT
>>You may find that this is illustrative as a starting point for the physics of the Elanthian soul:

Thanks for the link!

>>When PCs use it, they're basically making meat puppets and do not interact with the soul in any meaningful way.

Oh, I didn't think that any interaction would have even been remotely intentional at all. Soul just flies off elsewhere, then?

>>To seek the answer to this question, head to throne city thugs <critters that normally "walk". Turn a healthy number of them into zombies.

That sounds like a fun trip for my necromancer to eventually make, and maybe those walking-capable mobs have mechanics that reflect that when they're the targets of rituals, but I'm talking about things on an OOC level right now. As far as I can tell, the fact that TC mobs walk as opposed to Undershard mobs is also more of an OOC mechanic behind the mobs, as opposed to an actual IC difference, too.