Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Arcane Magic Philosophy 07/13/2010 11:31 PM CDT
There's also the bit where sorcerous energy really wants to rip your cells apart.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Arcane Magic Philosophy 07/14/2010 12:10 AM CDT
>>I am sure you can find ways to describe any Sorcery as violent, its really all in how you perceive it.

That's what I was expressing, though. It seems that "well all sorcery is violent" seems to be mostly based on what you think is or isn't violent/abnormal/wrong.

Like all attack spells can be seen as violent, and most people would agree on this. But, at the same time, it seems to be more of an IG society-based view of what is and isn't bad that considers things like Calcified Hide or other body augmentations as violent acts.

>>There's also the bit where sorcerous energy really wants to rip your cells apart.

At the same time, swords really want to cut my arms off if I wield those wrong, too. Normal streams of energy want to destroy the nervous systems of those who try to control something too big for them or when they wish to overload themselves by trying to contain streams of energy through harnessing them.
Re: Arcane Magic Philosophy 07/14/2010 12:30 AM CDT
Sorcery is a violent act against the area itself. The act of casting sorcery is 'bad juju' that has unknown (to current Magical Theorists) ramifications to the world around you.

Note the big ritual Lyras did that permanently altered the entire world in unknown ways as well as caused mana storms that screwed up the world's mana levels (oh and it killed Vorclaf too). This is what Sorcery fundamentally does. Just because it doesn't happen perceptibly when you cast your Obfuscate spell doesn't mean you aren't slowly killing / poisoning something about Elanthia with your spells.

The generic act of swinging a sword through empty air doesn't really have down-the-line permanent ramifications upon Elanthia, nor does casting Clear Vision. This is how they differ.

NOTE: We're still in the process of lore-wonking Sorcery a little better, so it's possible Armifer may correct this later after future discussion.

-Z
Re: Arcane Magic Philosophy 07/14/2010 12:33 AM CDT
That makes what violent means a lot more clear. I definitely appreciate the clarification.

As an aside, and not a remark against past GMs, but I also absolutely love the level of response/interaction from GMs in many threads that I've been seeing. As much as I'm sure it's awesome to see me half get things, I appreciate that GMs actually explaining why something is the way it is, lore-wise.
Re: Arcane Magic Philosophy 07/14/2010 01:20 AM CDT
>>As an aside, and not a remark against past GMs, but I also absolutely love the level of response/interaction from GMs in many threads that I've been seeing. As much as I'm sure it's awesome to see me half get things, I appreciate that GMs actually explaining why something is the way it is, lore-wise.

Yes, this is my feeling exactly. The DR of today has come a long way from what it use to be.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Arcane Magic Philosophy 07/14/2010 01:26 AM CDT
>Normal streams of energy want to destroy the nervous systems of those who try to control something too big for them or when they wish to overload themselves by trying to contain streams of energy through harnessing them.

It doesn't matter how much sorcery you work, miniscule stream-crossing operastions are just as wont to erupt in a display of primal violence.

Blackfire is ostensibly accomplished by just making it a tiny bit sorcerous, only a sliver, so subtle that not even the creators knew that it was sorcery. There's no sorcery minor enough to control or contain. It's like nuclear waste or something.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Arcane Magic Philosophy 07/14/2010 01:41 AM CDT
>>It doesn't matter how much sorcery you work, miniscule stream-crossing operastions are just as wont to erupt in a display of primal violence.

As an aside, isn't one of the new magic skills sorcery in magic 3.0, which would help a character better manage that chance of primal violence?
Re: Arcane Magic Philosophy 07/14/2010 02:40 AM CDT
>>As an aside, isn't one of the new magic skills sorcery in magic 3.0, which would help a character better manage that chance of primal violence?

You can be very good at handling a vial of neurotoxin while accepting that it's still neurotoxin and along a long enough time frame your chances of accidentally shattering the vial approach 100%.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Arcane Magic Philosophy 07/14/2010 08:45 PM CDT
Point taken.
Re: Arcane Magic Philosophy 07/19/2010 01:53 AM CDT
>>NOTE: We're still in the process of lore-wonking Sorcery a little better, so it's possible Armifer may correct this later after future discussion.

Sorcery has been lorewonked, it still sucks.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page