Prior known Necromancers and their Ideologies. 02/04/2010 02:10 PM CST
So I'm a bit curious, as there have been a few heavy-hitting necromancers in the past, what those prior necromaster's ideologies might be. While some of them could easily be argued as Perverse, with one possibly Redeemed, would any of them have been supportive/creative in their own pathways? I mean other than Bone Elves, and Dragon Priests.

Play the game!
Re: Prior known Necromancers and their Ideologies. 02/05/2010 02:20 AM CST
sidhlot had something to do with sorrow blowing up
so, i'd file that under supportive and creative alongside subversive.

for me thats the pinnacle of a necromancer. show up once in blue, go "oh yea i'm super bad" or "oh yea I tricked you and i'm super bad" and run away again.
Re: Prior known Necromancers and their Ideologies. 02/05/2010 05:45 PM CST

Actually Sidhlot just took advantage of a vacant Sorrow's Keep and skipped off back to the Bone Elf clan with all of Sorrow's research and library.

I'm not sure we ever were clear on what Sidhlot needed with a bard who had perfect pitch, likely was just looking for some late night entertainment while he waited for his opportunity to flee.

An ancient sorceror with a mysterious gem found by a player (Shaarul? I think it was) in the Reaver/Silverwater mines and Prayk actually spying all along for team goodguy brought down Sorrow with a plan that some of the players devised. Basically flub the translation. We didn't realize it would take out Prayk too.

Paschein
Re: Prior known Necromancers and their Ideologies. 02/07/2010 08:12 AM CST
It is interesting that prior institutions that practiced necromancy were generally organized along ethnic/racial lines. If the new generation of Necromancers gets to the point where day-to-day survival isn't as much of a pressing concern it should be a good show when newfound factions start power grabbing. If this does actually happen IG there would be a lot of potential, I remember the MM guild falling apart after the MWP leading to some really cool interactions between the several (PC) factions that grew out of it.

-Strk
Re: Prior known Necromancers and their Ideologies. 02/07/2010 12:31 PM CST
This is an interesting concept, though will be slightly difficult to flesh out. For years Necromancers and Necromancy was the catch-all concept for a DR badguy. In the last couple years, the Necro and Magic GMs had to set down actual mechanical rules for the new Guild, and not all of them mesh.

Take for instance Armifer's statement that mana attunement is basically hard-wired into our characters brains and can't change. How then does Lasarhhtha (sp?) go from being a Moon Mage to a Necromancer. Or look at Emuin, history tells us he was both a Cleric and a Necromancer.

I'm not necessarily arguing with any of the above, just saying that on some level, some retconning is required now that Necromancy has gone from the catch-all boogeyman to a mechanical possibility.

Despite all that, I think all former DR Necromancers were probably perverse, since they were running around doing obvious Very Bad Things.
Re: Prior known Necromancers and their Ideologies. 02/07/2010 01:24 PM CST
>>Take for instance Armifer's statement that mana attunement is basically hard-wired into our characters brains and can't change. How then does Lasarhhtha (sp?) go from being a Moon Mage to a Necromancer. Or look at Emuin, history tells us he was both a Cleric and a Necromancer.

Generally, I'm not afraid of calling something a retcon when it is a retcon. Read the stuff that happened after you typed JOIN again.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Prior known Necromancers and their Ideologies. 02/07/2010 01:26 PM CST
>Take for instance Armifer's statement that mana attunement is basically hard-wired into our characters brains and can't change. How then does Lasarhhtha (sp?) go from being a Moon Mage to a Necromancer. Or look at Emuin, history tells us he was both a Cleric and a Necromancer.

Necromantic attunement has nothing to do with your natural attunement, it's a necromantic corruption which is only now being practiced in controlled circumstances.

The lore behind this has been in places for years. The very nature of necromancy is necromancy is that everyone who practices it it eventually becomes a necromancer. Their other supernatural abilities fail and their soul is exposed to demonic influence.

The only retconning that was necessary when the guild opened was some handwaving by development that for obvious balance purposes that other guilds would not be able to fall to necromancy.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Prior known Necromancers and their Ideologies. 02/07/2010 01:39 PM CST
>>The only retconning that was necessary when the guild opened was some handwaving by development that for obvious balance purposes that other guilds would not be able to fall to necromancy.

Even that isn't a retcon, just a facet of the current circumstances where PCs are becoming Necromancers. PCs don't know how to do the Lasarhhtha thing, but they never did, and the Philosophers consciously choose to only induct people without guild affiliations.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Prior known Necromancers and their Ideologies. 02/07/2010 01:40 PM CST
>Even that isn't a retcon...

They've thought of everything!!

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Prior known Necromancers and their Ideologies. 02/07/2010 02:35 PM CST
>> the Philosophers consciously choose to only induct people without guild affiliations.

Heh.

Amusing note for all of the people who are rerolling to become Necromancers.

Rev. Reene

"The time will come when the sun will shine only on free men who know no other master but their reason." - Nicolas de Condorcet
Re: Prior known Necromancers and their Ideologies. 02/07/2010 04:47 PM CST
things happen.

but there is at least 1 die hard bone elf
Re: Prior known Necromancers and their Ideologies. 02/07/2010 06:51 PM CST
That makes sense. So just to clarify Armifer...

You stated earlier (i can't dig it up due to our intuitive and easy to navigate boards) that once a character's mind becomes attuned to a mana, it can't do another. IE..a Moon Mage can't become a Cleric. Lore-wise anyway. I believe you also stated it's sort of ignored due to mechanical rerolls.

You're saying lore-wise, that is not the case with going from another mana type to Necromantic?
Re: Prior known Necromancers and their Ideologies. 02/07/2010 06:58 PM CST
As I understand it, it's impossible for a human (or other playable race) to be attuned to more than one type of mana - the brain/nervous system just can't handle it.

Necromancers use mutations to get around that limitation.

"That's how I knew who you were. You were always like "Blah blah blah I'm a Barbarian oh-my-god." -my gf
Re: Prior known Necromancers and their Ideologies. 02/08/2010 02:37 PM CST
>PCs don't know how to do the Lasarhhtha thing

Check in reroll confirm
Re: Prior known Necromancers and their Ideologies. 02/08/2010 07:48 PM CST
>>PCs don't know how to do the Lasarhhtha thing

>>Check in reroll confirm

lol

"Is this one a genius savant who can attune to multiple mana types? No? Damn! How about this one?"

"I hate you so much right now." -GM Armifer
Re: Prior known Necromancers and their Ideologies. 02/10/2010 07:49 PM CST
That's pretty accurate. The 'mutation' doesn't really work, it just screws you up enough that you sorta-kinda draw from multiple mana streams, but in doing so you're being irreparably damaged and prone to hallucination and (rarely) demonic possession. It's significant that there's no 'defense' to divine outrage. Even ROC is just a stopgap and doesn't really affect it. So, at least in the 'Immortals are supreme' paradigm, arcane mana is a wrongness, period. Not even the Philosophers are getting it to work the way it's supposed to, although they'd be the first to say, "No, it IS working - that's why the Immortals are angry, they're threatened." Maybe they are, but it's more along the lines of an environmental hazard or plague than a directed force of God-killing.

tl;dr: Necros perform electro-shock therapy trying to create Evil Einstein, mostly fail.