Philosophers? 10/29/2009 05:26 PM CDT
So, it seems like there are going to be many philosophers running around, including myself. So I was curious, is anyone interested in perhaps forming a small knit group of people with strong bonds?

I plan to be very roleplay oriented, and I wish to get together with a few other heavy roleplay philosophers to work out some fun encounters with each other.

As the outcasts of society, I think having a group of people to run with would be optimal. Watch each other's backs and do anything possible to assist the other's within this group.

If no one is interested, it's no problem. I am excited about being a loner as well. Just thought it would be good for setting up roleplay events down the road.
Re: Philosophers? 10/29/2009 06:59 PM CDT
There is already something in this vein going on. Send me an email and I'll give you my AIM and we can chat. I tried to email you but it bounced back to me.

"Join me in the place of power, you risen dead. Join me where the waters weep and the trees have no hearts."
Effective difference between Perverse and Philosophers? 01/23/2010 12:32 AM CST
I was reading the background for these two groups today to better understand the backstory and was thinking about how it related to my PC. However, it seems to me as far as day to day life for a necromancer goes, the only difference is not in WHAT you do, but how OFTEN you do it? Is that right? I can see a big playstyle and RP difference between a necro who uses animation abilities daily and one who never uses them at all, but where is the philosophical conflict between the necro who uses it once a day vs once every 3 days?

As the Necromancer guild continues to develop should we expect to see greater differences in the abilities and play styles of the different groups? Will we have to end up choosing one and forsake others?
Re: Effective difference between Perverse and Philosophers? 01/23/2010 06:18 AM CST
My understanding is that PC Necromancers will only ever really be "Perverse Philosophers" and not the spirit necromancy using, demon-ridden, soulless thralls that we've seen with NPC perverse.

Having a guild path like the CoL in GS where you perform quests and have additional abilities that use spirit drain for power could be an interesting path for perverse 4lyfe types. Basically giving a demon little slices of your soul for special powers. I believe the final stages of the progression would leave you permanently a cursed being beyond redemption in DR terminology.

-pete
Re: Effective difference between Perverse and Philosophers? 01/23/2010 06:51 AM CST
Its called lichdom

I want to confess all my sins. But my heart is empty. That emptiness is a Mirror and when I stare into it I only see my reflection and feel insolence and rage.
-The Seventh Seal
Re: Effective difference between Perverse and Philosophers? 01/23/2010 07:02 AM CST
>Its called lichdom

Not quite.

In this path, you'd keep your soul and become cursed and ineligible for the redemption quest.

Doesn't mean you still couldn't pursue lichdom.

There'd have to be some factor that prevents you from going completely over to Lyrasville, but if a game-lore appropriate reason can be found, it would make for a viable perverse path.

-pete
Re: Effective difference between Perverse and Philosophers? 01/23/2010 11:06 AM CST
There already is a threshold beyond which you cannot be redeemed.

SEND[Abasha] It warms my heart to see three people die for a cupcake.
Re: Effective difference between Perverse and Philosophers? 01/23/2010 06:58 PM CST
>There already is a threshold beyond which you cannot be redeemed.

Yep. And that would be another way to get to it. I'm really not in the mood to argue about it, I was just trying to describe a concept from GS in DR terms that actually kind of fit the whole perverse meddling with demons thing without winding up like Lyras.

-pete
Re: Effective difference between Perverse and Philosophers? 01/24/2010 06:11 PM CST
I think it's by and large up to the players to determine the differences in their characters but your questions do have a certain merit.

I think you will see a lot more diversity and flavor when the quests start being released. This guild already has a LOT going for it in terms of ambiance but when we add in the Redeemed and those chasing Lichdom then it's going to get a bit more interesting.

-Carl