Clarifications on SO gear? 12/13/2019 04:02 PM CST
Two types of items below. Any chance we can get clarification on how each type functions? What's the difference, mechanically?

There's a bit of a debate happening right now in one of the discord servers about what these do. Given the confusion, I'm hoping this could not be a PAFO situation.

- I

>study my XXXXXXX
You believe the XXXXXXX contains some sort of hidden corruption magic. You can probably find out more by FOCUSing on it.

>focus my XXXXXXX
You focus your magical senses on a XXXXXXX.
Small magical currents trace across the surface of the XXXXXXX.
You recognize the pattern as a manifestation of Necromantic magic.
The XXXXXXX is imbued with a strong corruptive spell and has five charges left.
The XXXXXXX is designed to warp a person's face in a very minor fashion, making them less easily recognized in public.
Roundtime: 15 sec.

>study my YYYYYYYY
You believe the YYYYYYYY is specially crafted to throw people off your trail when the populace is outraged by your actions.

>focus my YYYYYYYY
You focus your magical senses on YYYYYYYY.
The YYYYYYYY has no discernible magical pattern.
Roundtime: 6 sec.
Re: Clarifications on SO gear? 12/13/2019 04:43 PM CST
The main point of confusion for me is whether or not these items reduce your actual or effective level of Social Outrage. I've always assumed they only reduce your effective SO - like a version of Rite of Contrition for SO.

In other words, if I have 100 units of SO and I wear a shirt that reduces my SO units by 20, then I am treated as if I have 80 effective units of SO so long as I continue to wear that shirt. As soon as I remove the shirt I return to having 100 effective ranks of SO, assuming there's been no natural decay. Since the shirt only reduces my effective SO and not my actual SO, there would be no benefit to removing it and then wearing it again. I cannot double-dip in order to achieve a faster rate of SO decay.

I assume the charge based items work the same way, only the SO reduction has a temporary duration once it has been activated.
Re: Clarifications on SO gear? 12/28/2019 02:37 PM CST

With apologies for the delayed response due to the holidays -

There are two main types of SO reducers.

1. Clothing items, which activate when you WEAR them. Note they do not have a passive effect, you must WEAR the item to start the effect. These are unlimited use, though WEARing an item will start a timer that prevents it's repeated use for a duration of time that exceeds the duration of the SO reduction effect.
2. Jewelry or similar items that reduce your SO by a fixed amount when activated. These are typically activated with TURN.

The SO reduction effect is temporary. That is, your SO is reduced by a fixed amount for a period of time, and when this effect expires, the SO is returned.

There has been some confusion about how the clothing items operate - the clothing items must be 'activated' by a WEAR action. Hopefully this clarifies how these items operate.
Re: Clarifications on SO gear? 12/28/2019 05:35 PM CST
>>1. Clothing items, which activate when you WEAR them. Note they do not have a passive effect, you must WEAR the item to start the effect. These are unlimited use, though WEARing an item will start a timer that prevents it's repeated use for a duration of time that exceeds the duration of the SO reduction effect.

Having a little trouble parsing this; specifically regarding the duration of the effect. If I wear an article of SO reducing clothing, when can I expect that I will have to re-wear it to continue benefiting from it? If I wear my special pants on Monday, are they still helping me on Tuesday? Next Monday? Or is the duration more in the realm of a standard buff? Previously I assumed the effect from the clothing was indefinite so long as you didn't remove the item, but that doesn't sound like it's the case?
Re: Clarifications on SO gear? 12/28/2019 06:25 PM CST
Thanks, Koror.

>>There are two main types of SO reducers.

Generally speaking, do both types of items provide the same level/strength of SO reduction? As someone who carries both types I'm curious if there's benefits to one over the other, aside from the activation method and charges.

- I
Re: Clarifications on SO gear? 12/28/2019 08:28 PM CST

>Previously I assumed the effect from the clothing was indefinite so long as you didn't remove the item, but that doesn't sound like it's the case?

Made up numbers:
You are wearing SO reducing boots, and have an SO reducing ring. Lets assume the boots reduce SO by 10 points, and the ring by 15, and both have a duration of 10 minutes.

You fail an accusation check in town, and have 100 SO points. You immediately leave town, and do not generate any further SO. Currently, neither the boots nor the ring are doing anything.

Scenario 1: You remove the boots, and WEAR them. You now have 90 SO points. If you wait 10 minutes, you will once again have 100 SO points, probably minus a few points due to natural drain.
Scenario 2: You remove the boots, and WEAR them, and you also activate the ring. You now have 75 SO points. If you wait 10 minutes, you will once again have 100 SO points, probably minus a few points due to natural drain.
Scenario 3: You activate the ring. You now have 85 SO points. If you wait 10 minutes, you will once again have 100 SO points, probably minus a few points due to natural drain.

Also note that this is on a by province basis. If you earn SO in P1, you must be in P1 to use the SO reducers. When the effect expires, even if you are not in P1, the SO will come back in P1.

The boots (and all clothing SO reducers) have a CD on use that is longer than the effect of their SO reduction. So if you remove the boots and re-wear them, you will not further reduce your SO. Multiple pieces of clothing may be used, as the CD effect is on the clothing item itself. So, you could for example remove and rewear boots and a shirt, and get the effect of each. Offhand, I do not recall if the activated jewelry can be reused before the effect has expired, but they do have limited charges.

>Generally speaking, do both types of items provide the same level/strength of SO reduction? As someone who carries both types I'm curious if there's benefits to one over the other, aside from the activation method and charges.

There has been a little bit of variance between the magnitude of the reduction as multiple people have worked on them and we have released some that are higher tier for events, but generally speaking the clothing has a smaller effect than the activated jewelry. I'm not sure how transparent with the numbers I should be here, so to play it safe, I will just say "it is a pretty significant difference".

For clarification, the intent of the SO reducers was, as I understand them, never to allow you to entirely avoid the effects of the justice system, but rather to grant you a temporary reprieve, a little more breathing room.

I hope this clarifies?
Re: Clarifications on SO gear? 12/28/2019 11:20 PM CST
>>I hope this clarifies?

Yes, it does! Thank you very much.
Re: Clarifications on SO gear? 12/28/2019 11:27 PM CST

generally if you use the justice verb and see that people are suspicious, you can put on the SO clothing and then try justice again and you no longer see the suspicion. But after a while you will get a message, to which I'm sorry but I forget the literal wording, that you think your disguise will no longer help
Re: Clarifications on SO gear? 12/29/2019 10:42 AM CST
>>I hope this clarifies?

Answers my questions, yep. Thank you again, Koror.

- I
Re: Clarifications on SO gear? 02/27/2020 07:45 PM CST

Just started playing a new necromancer, and reading through the boards for tips, and this sprung out at me; where would one acquire this SO reducing clothing and jewelry?
Re: Clarifications on SO gear? 02/27/2020 08:27 PM CST
>> ... where would one acquire this SO reducing clothing and jewelry?

Both varieties been sold previously in (hidden) necromancer shops during Guildfest. They'll also show up from time-to-time in the incidental loot pools during MT events (last year's Corn Maze, for example, had a number of the clothing items).

- I
Re: Clarifications on SO gear? 02/27/2020 08:37 PM CST

Got it, thanks. Will have to wait, then. Probably not much need for a new necro.