Infection 08/02/2013 02:12 PM CDT
This is a massive pulsing damage that don't go away until your fully healed, problem is getting fully healed with current healing effectiveness of necromancer spells means your probably just gunna die anyways. So can we PLEASE get infection added to the list of stuff 'Devour' heals or a cast option on 'Consume Flesh' to remove infections?

"Burn him! Burn him!" You hear the cries echo around you as everyone in the vicinity suddenly moves away, giving you a wide berth! It goes without saying you'll be wanted for forbidden practices in The Rakash Village.
Re: Infection 08/02/2013 05:42 PM CDT
Oooooh.... or a Utility/TM spell that sucks all the infection out of you and deposits it directly into the target. That'd be way more fun.
Re: Infection 08/02/2013 05:52 PM CDT
>Oooooh.... or a Utility/TM spell that sucks all the infection out of you and deposits it directly into the target. That'd be way more fun.

Agreed. However anything that will help out in a more immediate fashion would be greatly appreciated.

"Burn him! Burn him!" You hear the cries echo around you as everyone in the vicinity suddenly moves away, giving you a wide berth! It goes without saying you'll be wanted for forbidden practices in The Rakash Village.
Re: Infection 08/02/2013 10:17 PM CDT
>>This is a massive pulsing damage that don't go away until your fully healed, problem is getting fully healed with current healing effectiveness of necromancer spells means your probably just gunna die anyways.

I know my experience isn't every experience, but I tend to just eat a ton of low level mobs to make the infection go dormant. I'd agree completely that at-level infection fixing would be hard.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Infection 08/02/2013 11:10 PM CDT
> I'd agree completely that at-level infection fixing would be hard.

I have never had any issues healing gangrene down at level, and I have had at least 10 instances of it since 3.0 thanks to the bleeders provided by backlash. As long as you limit the number of wounds you have while bleeding, or deal with infections as soon as possible you should be fine. Now fleshrot from disease traps might be another matter entirely, but can be avoided by just ignoring those boxes.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Infection 08/05/2013 12:26 AM CDT
>I have never had any issues healing gangrene down at level

We can't be talking about the same thing here, I am talking about when HEALTH reads Your wounds are infected.
When that is the case your skin leaks puss and such and pulses huge vitality hits and increases the wounds severity making it harder to heal to no wounds to make the infection dormant. Then, a slight scratch will trigger it over again. Its not impossible to fix the situation just having a spell to fix it would be something extremely useful considering we cannot use empaths at all now.

Re: Infection 08/05/2013 12:48 AM CDT
>>We can't be talking about the same thing here, I am talking about when HEALTH reads Your wounds are infected.

I think we're talking about the same thing.

>> Then, a slight scratch will trigger it over again. Its not impossible to fix the situation just having a spell to fix it would be something extremely useful considering we cannot use empaths at all now.

I'm assuming that you meant "its now impossible" vs "its not impossible" since your stance up to now is that it's very difficult to deal with, so keep that in mind.

I think this is what Devour actually helps solve. It can help track down those tiny errant internal wounds.

As I said, I can see that infections could be annoying if you can't kill fast, but if you can go eat some rats/louts/goblins/jackals/etc I don't think it would be totally impossible to handle. I think it just requires you to take it seriously and not let it run out of control.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Infection 08/06/2013 01:35 AM CDT
>I'm assuming that you meant "its now impossible" vs "its not impossible" since your stance up to now is that it's very difficult to deal with, so keep that in mind.

First 'my stance up until now' consisted of the original post on this perticular topic, so presuming anything is speculation on your part. I did mean 'its not impossible' not 'its now impossible'.

>problem is getting fully healed with current healing effectiveness of necromancer spells means your probably just gunna die anyways

This refers to at level hunting and making it to a critter than can get mowed down extremely easy isn't always on option for a quick fix up or if you have a WHOLE BUNCH of scuffs in different areas it becomes a pain regardless.

>So can we PLEASE get infection added to the list of stuff 'Devour' heals or a cast option on 'Consume Flesh' to remove infections?

What would really help is this. You'd think a necromancer that can mutate his body beyond normal limits to produce supernatural effects as well as do a phenominal job raising and preserving decaying material(something that breeds bacteria and other infectious stuff) would be able to (with enough skill) do something about the infection in his own body.

Re: Infection 08/06/2013 04:55 AM CDT
I suspect that any limits on disease healing would be due to game balance, rather than than due to any "realism" issues.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Infection 08/06/2013 02:42 PM CDT
Game balance? After a certain point I cannot utalize an empath, everyone else has the option of an empath taking thier infection/disease. So how 'unbalancing' is it to have the ability(as a class that eventually CANNOT recieve the benefit of empathic healing) to heal my own infections and diseases.

Re: Infection 08/06/2013 02:49 PM CDT
I think there was mention of alchemy being used to cure infection and poison.

But I would like to see Necromancers get some kind of tool around infection and poison.
Re: Infection 08/06/2013 03:03 PM CDT
>>But I would like to see Necromancers get some kind of tool around infection and poison.

I keep picturing a spell that transfers the infection/poison into a stored instant TM attack that we can spit out later.
Re: Infection 08/06/2013 03:35 PM CDT
Let's not forget that alchemy will supposedly have disease and poison remedies. Necromancers are kind of pushed that general direction with techs in poisons (directing you train alchemy, though not remedies specifically), plus REI's alchemy boost.

Since necs can use CF, they can save their whole tox pool for disease healing. You'd just have to make sure you have the remedy on you. I imagine this will be the choice way of handling disease for necs in the relatively near future.

--Wryhk

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." ~Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Infection 08/06/2013 05:31 PM CDT
>Game balance? After a certain point I cannot utalize an empath, everyone else has the option of an empath taking thier infection/disease. So how 'unbalancing' is it to have the ability(as a class that eventually CANNOT recieve the benefit of empathic healing) to heal my own infections and diseases.

The GMs may consider it to be an intentional weakness of the necromancer guild. I don't know.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Infection 08/06/2013 07:53 PM CDT
>>The GMs may consider it to be an intentional weakness of the necromancer guild. I don't know.

We were told this is pretty much the case by Armifer

>>So how would a necro get rid of gangrene?

Suffer, mostly. Necromancers will have no direct way to heal disease (or poison, or anything else), though if you stop and think about how diseases work, you might be able to come up with something creative with the tools that have been described.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Necromancers/Responses%20to%20GM%20and%20Official%20Announcements/view/146

Raesh reinforced it (and referenced that post, last year.

This isn't news, this is an intentional design decision that has been in place since before the guild was released.

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Necromancers/Spells%20-%20Necromancers/view/1356

Re: Infection 08/07/2013 03:40 AM CDT
In that case with the 3.0 changes and things taking longer to kill making it take an exceptionally long time with the effectiveness of the current healing spells available to us, could we get infection toned down until whenever there is a remedy or some option at dealing with it? I can lose limbs and be safer from death than getting an infection. Just seems off to me.

Re: Infection 08/07/2013 11:36 AM CDT
>>In that case with the 3.0 changes and things taking longer to kill making it take an exceptionally long time

What area do you tend to be in that is completely lacking any low level mobs that you can quickly kill?

Re: Infection 08/07/2013 12:37 PM CDT
Yeah, I can usually clear low level mobs in 2-3 swings...
Re: Infection 08/08/2013 11:43 PM CDT
>What area do you tend to be in that is completely lacking any low level mobs that you can quickly kill?

Nowhere is COMPLETELY lacking in something I can kill quickly but few areas I hunt make it VERY difficult to get to one and kill it fast enough to heal the wounds I already had plus the severity of which that got worse do to infection. If were not meant to have the ability to directlt effect it thats fine. Can we get its effect tweak down a little then? skinning/than xp got tweaked because of kill rates this is a situation directly effected by how fast stuff dies so it would stand to reason that precedent has been set for something of this nature already.

I'd rather just be able to have devour hit the infection.

Re: Infection 08/09/2013 12:55 AM CDT
>>Can we get its effect tweak down a little then?

It wouldn't shock me if diseases are assessed at the same time poisons are, which is a precursor to releasing the poison craft.

Re: Infection 08/09/2013 10:17 AM CDT
ure speculation here, but If diseases are still hitting the same % vitality they were in 2.0, that problably does need addressing. Regen rates for health are way down from what they used to be, making even a small periodic disease hit lethal over time.

--Wryhk

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." ~Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Infection 08/09/2013 10:35 AM CDT
>>Regen rates for health are way down from what they used to be, making even a small periodic disease hit lethal over time.

I don't feel the potency chanced as they are parsed out differently.

In 2.0 you'd get small amounts every few seconds.

In 3.0 you get a big chunks every so often.

I also think there's an overall bigger increase in vitality in 3.0.

All that said, I think the infection problem some people are perceiving is more on the wound end than an issue with vitality.

Re: Infection 08/09/2013 11:03 AM CDT
>All that said, I think the infection problem some people are perceiving is more on the wound end than an issue with vitality.

I think a little of both, not an extensively tested thing but possible that the vit% hit increases if the infection pulses on a wound that already has a decent wound on it. (which can happen running to your noob critter to heal)

Re: Infection 08/09/2013 04:32 PM CDT
Maybe I'm missing something...why are people who can heal themselves staying bloody long enough to get infected in the first place?

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Infection 08/09/2013 04:36 PM CDT
>>Maybe I'm missing something...why are people who can heal themselves staying bloody long enough to get infected in the first place?

This ritual may only be performed on a corpse.
Re: Infection 08/09/2013 05:14 PM CDT
One of the possible research topics (you initially will get to choose 3 out of 6-7 possible projects) is developing a ritual to transfer disease into a corpse.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Infection 08/09/2013 05:22 PM CDT
Armifer, you big tease. More excited about the about Necromantic research teaser then the ability to deal with disease, personally. Very cool.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Infection 08/09/2013 08:22 PM CDT
>One of the possible research topics (you initially will get to choose 3 out of 6-7 possible projects) is developing a ritual to transfer disease into a corpse.

Disease as in 'open and oozing sores'? Because this isn't much of a promblem its 'You're wounds are infected.' thats the huge pain. So if we get something to handle that in perticular I'd call it worth it.

Re: Infection 08/10/2013 10:28 AM CDT
>>>>Maybe I'm missing something...why are people who can heal themselves staying bloody long enough to get infected in the first place?

>>This ritual may only be performed on a corpse.

Because there's a dearth of corpses in DR?

Re: Infection 08/10/2013 03:43 PM CDT
>>Because there's a dearth of corpses in DR?

Not that I've personally noticed, but I haven't hunted everywhere. My point was we're a little more restricted than just "people who can heal themselves".

I can imagine that some people's play style might put them into positions where they end up diseased without access to a plethora of easy corpses.
Re: Infection 08/10/2013 10:03 PM CDT
I don't know why a Necromancer would worry about FA training via bleeding wounds. I always felt rituals teaching FA was intentional to prevent us from being particularly susceptible to infection. I haven't deliberately trained FA in ages, and it's probably my 4th or 5th survival.

I'm amazed at how sturdy we are.
Re: Infection 08/11/2013 11:15 AM CDT
>>My point was we're a little more restricted than just "people who can heal themselves".

The only time I've ever felt restricted was on the Tower and Riot II quests, because there were literally no corpses to use for me to heal. While yes, Necros require corpses to heal, I see saying that it's a restriction most of the time is like saying you're restricted by life energy availability when wanting to heal as an Empath.

>>I don't know why a Necromancer would worry about FA training via bleeding wounds. I always felt rituals teaching FA was intentional to prevent us from being particularly susceptible to infection. I haven't deliberately trained FA in ages, and it's probably my 4th or 5th survival.

FA used to be my primary survival before 3.0, but even then if I got an infection I just went and got rid of my bleeder and moved on.

Re: Infection 08/11/2013 11:52 AM CDT
>>I see saying that it's a restriction most of the time is like saying you're restricted by life energy availability when wanting to heal as an Empath.

All casters have to deal with mana; we have to deal with corpses as an additional restriction. I also said that it doesn't inconvenience me and it's only a 'a little' restriction, but it is there.
Re: Infection 08/11/2013 12:02 PM CDT
>>I also said that it doesn't inconvenience me and it's only a 'a little' restriction, but it is there.

Then we agree that the need for a corpse isn't inconvenient except in highly specific circumstances.