Prev_page Previous 1
ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 10:03 AM CDT
Ok, this is getting rediculous. Seven straight attempts over last two or three weeks at having an in town conflict. Every time I was defended by an at level or character well above my level character. EVERYTIME accused by some unknown party and run out of town by game mechanics instead of getting come RP plus combat stuff.

In short this ACCUSE is ruining interactions my character has engaged in, I tried doing some RP on gweths outta town too. Got little response and GM auto-killed and all I was doing was standing out a gate waiting for some face-to-face confront from a PLAYER.

My suggestion, MAKE ACCUSE TELL ME WHO DID IT AND GRANT CONSENT! or since that seems to be to unreasonable a thing to ask for (why I can't fathom) then extend the purge to something like 25-30 mins? Lemme get some kinda fun going. Because hunting all the time b/c I cant get a decent RP conflict kicking is getting real lame. Staring at screen scroll from hunting all the time just makes me hate this game which I have loved so much over the years.

Please, I am begging. Do something here to help this situation. I don't care about charges or anything like that just the purge. Its just a way for some Closed/Guarded lame that I wasn't interupting in the first place to have me killed with NO repercussions. Stealing locks a player OPEN can ACCUSE just on the merit that they are engaging in activity that can kill another character? Something...
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 10:13 AM CDT
RP in an area without justice? That's over half the game world.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 10:19 AM CDT
>>RP in an area without justice? That's over half the game world.

The trouble isn't the size of the game world that's without justice; The problem is the size of the player population who spend their non-hunting time there.
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 10:20 AM CDT
Yea tried that, just got VERY minimal player interaction before I was just auto-killed by a GM and tacked up with massive fines when I wasn't in a justice area. NONE of the players hang out in a non-justice area either.
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 10:24 AM CDT
>>before I was just auto-killed by a GM and tacked up with massive fines when I wasn't in a justice area.

This is disheartening to read.
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 10:30 AM CDT
Yea it was a Hound purge and my gweths prolly deserved it, but I was trying what Raesh suggested already to get some player conflict interaction. So I learned that I only can gweth for a small amount of interaction because ACCUSE being the horrid mechanic that it is keeps me from playing in town, out of town I am just Hounded and tacked with 50 plat fines by GM with 0 interaction with a GMPC even. I know its hardmode and someone will use that excuse but seriously, work with me here.

Ask anyone I am no snert all I wanna do is play a good mix or RP and PvP and lame mechanics and snerty ACCUSEers are killing my ability to do that.
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 10:49 AM CDT
Khiol, I'm not trolling...is english your second language? Or at least second written english?
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 11:01 AM CDT
Not that it's a new suggestion, but it would be cool if Hounds are actual mobs that escalate in difficulty, giving more interaction when it comes to getting out of dodge.

It is a bit silly that a level 200 Necromancer can still be taken down by the Hounds just as easily as a crosseyed Philosopher right out of the gate.

Mind you, I say this not knowing what kind of mechanics would be required to have mobs do the following:

1) Start spawning around targets with enough social outrage/corruption at any location with justice (I guess flygia [sic?] mechanics do this for that Cleric quest?)
2) Only go aggressive on targets with social outrage/corruption (possibly the biggest hurdle?)
3) Generate social outrage when attacked (aka: if someone attacks a Hound, they get social outrage/corruption and become a target)
4) Increase in difficulty as time goes on.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 11:03 AM CDT
I think the mechanics are in place for a reason, and the fact that they're used the way they are isn't and shouldn't change. What can change is the way we Necromancers expect RP and PvP. I won't get into fights in towns, but it's easy enough to make an excuse for stepping out. And I also wouldn't expect much of the portion of the player base that lives in justice zones and spam accuses; don't look to them for fun RP.
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 11:04 AM CDT
Unless they change the way Tev just mentioned, which as discussed in the past, would be great.
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 11:07 AM CDT
>I think the mechanics are in place for a reason, and the fact that they're used the way they are isn't and shouldn't change. What can change is the way we Necromancers expect RP and PvP. I won't get into fights in towns, but it's easy enough to make an excuse for stepping out. And I also wouldn't expect much of the portion of the player base that lives in justice zones and spam accuses; don't look to them for fun RP.

Not what I am getting at these last seven encounters have been with people who didn't accuse and most can wipe the floor with me, but someone else just accuses me mid-fight or while I'm RPing before the fight gets started. NOONE hangs out outside town so what am I reduced to? No options.

>Khiol, I'm not trolling...is english your second language? Or at least second written english?

Heh, I just type my thoughts out and don't worry about spelling or grammar.
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 11:08 AM CDT
What I'm saying though is Khiol, is that you know that being in justice zones makes you vulnerable to ACCUSE. As a result, you shouldn't sit in justice zones. The issue isn't bad RP on the part of the masses (which is a problem), the issue is that you're trying to get your RP up in justice zones.
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 11:12 AM CDT
Tell me how the heck am I supposed to get it any other way? I don't see anyone hanging around somewhere I can engage in some RP besides justice zones. And I already stated I tried to get some interaction drawn outside of town on a few occasions and just get GM purged and massive charges for the gweth I have to use to try that method.

"Burn him! Burn him!" You hear the cries echo around you as everyone in the vicinity suddenly moves away, giving you a wide berth! It goes without saying you'll be wanted for forbidden practices in The Rakash Village.
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 11:14 AM CDT
>>the issue is that you're trying to get your RP up in justice zones.

You have to RP with other people. The other people in this game spend their non-hunting time in justice zones.

This doesn't leave many options for getting RP started and apparently trying to gweth them out will get you auto-purged and fined.
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 11:18 AM CDT
It's a personal preference thing; where I trying to get my pvp on, I'd challenge someone in town and make an excuse to leave town. If they don't want to step out, call them a coward for hiding behind the guards or their guild leader. And if they still won't step out, they're not the sorts of people you want to PvP with.

I don't really hold that we're meant to be doing flashy things in justice zones. I believe that's intentional.
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 11:23 AM CDT
I can see how this would be frustrating when you are trying to get something going...especially the auto-smack down on the gweth by a GM. As someone who plays a Necro I don't see this as something we should be saying "oh it is hard mode" about, there should be ways that a Necro can work with like-minded people for some fun RP and interaction, in our outside of town.
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 11:24 AM CDT
Try getting some RP/PvP as a necromancer. Then we can talk. If you seen how bad it really is on Khiol is deplorable. I come to fight in the invasions ACCUSED ASAP after invasion mech is turned off. I fight an enemy in their hangout spots I get a good fight going and ASAP from being pulled from hiding or invis ACCUSE everytime. Seen not invis for anyreason in town ACCUSE instantly almost. I feel like people have a script for it or something its crazy.

"Burn him! Burn him!" You hear the cries echo around you as everyone in the vicinity suddenly moves away, giving you a wide berth! It goes without saying you'll be wanted for forbidden practices in The Rakash Village.
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 11:59 AM CDT
I just want to clarify a bit more.

I have NO problem with the SO or the trumped charges (well 50 plats repeatedly can be a huge pain) but the fact that I am seeming ACCUSE on sight screw this guys playing enjoyment and they get to steal money from my accounts plus I get charges and they get money and I get no name/consent or anything. The timer is short compared to the time it takes to get a decent RP/PvP fight finished making the purge happen WAY before I get any decent interaction kicking.

Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 01:01 PM CDT
Khiol, when I was playing Shatter, I found all the PvP interaction I could handle by tossing out the occasional gweth-blast while running around between Therenborough and Lang. Make a presence during sparring events or go invis and leave a zombie in Theren Keep during one of the brigade sweeps. It's a nice break to hear something different than "keep is all clear" once in a while.

Once they know you're there, they'll hunt you pretty relentlessly. You won't need to be in a justice area.

--Wryhk

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." ~Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 01:08 PM CDT
>> I found all the PvP interaction I could handle by tossing out the occasional gweth-blast while running around between Therenborough and Lang

This appears to be off the table now though:

>>>> I tried to get some interaction drawn outside of town on a few occasions and just get GM purged and massive charges for the gweth I have to use to try that method.
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 01:22 PM CDT
Ok, try running in to the bin, leaving a zombie there in passive mode, then get the heck out of town before someone can get to Theren to accuse. A zombie in Chadatru's chapel is also still a solid statement of challenge. Just wait until you hear some declare that they're patrolling the keep.

--Wryhk

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." ~Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 01:35 PM CDT
So I am confined to harass Theren? When they have literally reported just for some undesirables showing up and commanding the bin or outside the gate or just tried to armwrestle at an event (not even just necro's) lotsa problems with all that. Though its the best player interaction I have gotta aside from the report things and that the orders have some leadership problems but thats just my opinion there.

It makes me feel like I have to play the snert and consent farm then gank someone hunting or something. Its just what I feel driven into in my little corner of DR.

Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 01:37 PM CDT
This is not intended to be offered as a solution, or even a comment on the game mechanics:

Khiol, I remember being in a very similar position on my Cleric in about 2002. Even some of your posts in another thread regarding 'spell ability effectiveness' reminded me of where I was back then with my Cleric. I had put so much time into training my dude, I got really bored with the training and looked for the payoff, and nothing was sufficient. I was burnt out on the game, and it took a while for that to sink in, then a bit longer to accept it. Fortunately, there is a lot more on the Net today then there was 11-12 years ago.

Maybe there's a game design solution to your problem, and maybe there's not. I am just saying there comes a point when the fun of playing is greatly diminished, and not much can really fix that. I started taking breaks from the game. (Just don't get rid of your dude out of frustration or any other reason!)

"4.116 Everything that can be thought at all can be thought clearly. Everything that can be said can be said clearly." ~Wittgenstein, 'Tractatus'
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 02:32 PM CDT
You aren't confined to anything. You are, however, required to find people to interact with who are willing to do so with you on mutually acceptable terms if you wish to interact with people. There are places to do so that aren't within justice zones. Non-justice Therengia is probably the easiest of them.

Another place you might find some fun interaction is in the forging society in Crossing. There are usually lots of people there and it's non-justice. I've been killed there as well, so I don't believe it's a safe area (or at least it wasn't once).

--Wryhk

Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 02:36 PM CDT
>Yea it was a Hound purge and my gweths prolly deserved it, but I was trying what Raesh suggested already to get some player conflict interaction. So I learned that I only can gweth for a small amount of interaction because ACCUSE being the horrid mechanic that it is keeps me from playing in town, out of town I am just Hounded and tacked with 50 plat fines by GM with 0 interaction with a GMPC even. I know its hardmode and someone will use that excuse but seriously, work with me here.

Just in the interest of conversation Khiol, you have not been "auto killed" by a GM as of this moment today.

Everything you've seen today is a result of players taking justice against a necromancer into their own hands. Additionally, while I understand you may want to play an edgy necromancer, do keep in mind that spouting things about tyranny and oppression IS likely to get you charges unrelated to your necromancy (crimes against the state). These are things you have been saying on the gweth for quite some time now, and being a necromancer, I am sure you just don't hang around in town to see those charges get served as they happen because that would be ridiculous, right? So, do keep that in mind.

And yes, necromancers are hard mode. That's not an excuse that is simply a fact.

~Evike
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 03:11 PM CDT
Having seen the above, it occurred to me that justice areas are not strictly limited to areas within the city walls. I believe, for instance the rooms immediately outsude all the crossing gates are still justice.

--Wryhk

Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 03:31 PM CDT
>Everything you've seen today is a result of players taking justice against a necromancer into their own hands.

Entirely wrong. The Hounds cannot kill you outside a JUSTICE zone. That has to be done by a GM. So the players did nothing in the incident. Maybe REPORTed is the extent of what they did. My point is that is just another cop out instead of letting the players interested in the interaction get their fun in or ignore me long enough and I'll go away because they are into it the moment.

What I am refering to had nothing to do with that interaction that just happened. It I have no problem with. Even the accuse didn't happen immediately.

Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 03:47 PM CDT
>do keep in mind that spouting things about tyranny and oppression IS likely to get you charges unrelated to your necromancy (crimes against the state)

As I said before THOSE actions I have no issue with it was the fact that I got purged 'auto-killed' outside of town while trying to get some RP/PvP interaction from the PLAYERbase an auto-purge without my warning message I get from a player accuse or any NPC kinda interaction is lame and poor form as I see it.

Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 03:50 PM CDT
>>Entirely wrong. The Hounds cannot kill you outside a JUSTICE zone. That has to be done by a GM.

Just spitballing here, but since gwething while past a certain threshold of SO can cause more SO, could it push someone's SO to the point where they actually do get Hounded?

In other words, is it possible that being Hounded isn't necessarily the result of being in a justice zone, but more like hitting the critical level of DO? It just happens that the gross majority of things that can cause SO are within justice zones, so most of the time that's when Hound attacks take place. And, up until gwething came out, there wasn't a real way to increase your SO outside of justice zones.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 03:54 PM CDT
You also have not died today. Whatever you're referring to, did not happen today 7/11/2013, and this is the only thing I am referring to.

Like I said, that was only in the interest of conversation. My main, and only point was to remind you that your other, non necromancy activities are also going to be activities causing you issues as well with the governments in which provinces you choose to spout that line of gwething. Calling leaders tyrants, and attempting to incite revolts among the population is going to be something you're going to have to be prepared to deal with in addition to your necromantic charges if you want to keep up that role play. Period.

~Evike
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 03:54 PM CDT
>>Just spitballing here, but since gwething while past a certain threshold of SO can cause more SO, could it push someone's SO to the point where they actually do get Hounded?

There's no SO equivalent to the divine smite. Trying to build SO past the roof just leaves you at the roof.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 04:01 PM CDT
>Like I said, that was only in the interest of conversation. My main, and only point was to remind you that your other, non necromancy activities are also going to be activities causing you issues as well with the governments in which provinces you choose to spout that line of gwething. Calling leaders tyrants, and attempting to incite revolts among the population is going to be something you're going to have to be prepared to deal with in addition to your necromantic charges if you want to keep up that role play. Period.

Completely fine with that, the stuff I am refering to is the previous SEVEN interactions I have tried before today. Capped off by the accuse AS SOON AS I was pulled from hiding with Liurilias AND Evro there to defend against me both outclass me by a fair bit and I would have happily died at their hands but like I said AS SOON AS I was pulled from invis by em I was accused immediately and that has been the scenario everytime. Until today's interaction which I absolutely am exstatic about. It was really fun and I hope those involved had some fun. I really enjoyed it. They even waited to accuse me till a little bit into it and I got to stick around a little to spit a few lines then run off and the gweth convo started. If my PIRP's were not out I would have lavished them on the people involved.

Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 04:19 PM CDT

The above 32 posts were moved to this folder as it's the most appropriate.

Further: While it is fine you have a complaint, you also need to give constructive feedback.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 04:21 PM CDT
>>There's no SO equivalent to the divine smite. Trying to build SO past the roof just leaves you at the roof.

So, outside of GM buttons, you have to commit an SO-generating action past the safe threshold while in a justice zone to get Hounded? Generating SO past the safe threshold outside of justice zone will never result in one?

Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 04:59 PM CDT
Its a difficult situation. I think Khiol is a good Role Player and has done a stellar job being the in your face badguy and pushing his reputation past critical mass, Id be surprised if there was a player that didn't know of Khiol the Necromancer. However, while he has done an amazing job at being 'that guy that everyone knows and hates', the downside is that the character is 'that guy that everyone knows and hates.' So I am not surprised that the accusations start to pile up any time people think he is in town, they all know your game and how to deal with the threat you pose.

The question then is, do the mechanics need to change or does your play style? Its not one that I think is easy to answer, the mechanics in place are there because the Devs want Necromancers to be the ones being hunted, not the other way around. A change in mechanics may make it easier for Necromancers to get free reign in town, the very place they are meant to be at a massive disadvantage in.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 05:21 PM CDT
>>So, outside of GM buttons, you have to commit an SO-generating action past the safe threshold while in a justice zone to get Hounded? Generating SO past the safe threshold outside of justice zone will never result in one?

It's a bit more complex than that under the hood (not every SO generating action has the chance to trigger the Hounds), but for the sake of simplicity it should currently work like you described.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/11/2013 05:46 PM CDT
>Id be surprised if there was a player that didn't know of Khiol the Necromancer.

I only know of him from the forums, but I hang out in non-justice zones with the nobodies.
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/12/2013 11:09 AM CDT

Hey um... I have a suggestion for the GM's for the accuse system thingy.

*Have "Hero wannabe" Players join the city guards. When someone accuses anyone of ANYTHING, These "Player Guards" (if they're in the respecting city where the accusation happened and within a justice zone) They'll go on auto PVP OPEN and given the message they are to go do their duty as a guard. If they move outside the town's justice zone they go off duty for that accusation. If they (which they're supposed to) engage the accused and die, they again go off duty and stop pursuit. If they manage to kill the accused, they can go on and do an ARREST <NAME> verb (but only the guard that got the killing blow can issue this command) and they can be wisked away into prison the second they step into a justice zone in stealth or hiding AFTER they're back from the dead where things can go as normal. If the accuser wins, they are still subject to regular town guards that will have their arrest warrants and with regular game mechanics that will kick in to arrest within 20 hours IG time.

Welp that was just a thought and stuff. <munches and chews on some lunch> yup just a thought. Sounds cool though, necros are the bad guys and now we get town heros. purty schweet. Maybe this is not a solution but it's still schweet.

Sincerely,
your friendly neighborhood necromancer.
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/14/2013 03:40 PM CDT
Idea: scale time to hounding based on level.

Higher level takes more time ("Uh oh guys, lets wait for more of us to show up before we go after him")
Exceptions would be going into places where there is likely to be a large number of armed people (bank, guildhouses, guard house, etc), which also happen to be the places that are useful. It would also trigger all stores refusing to sell items to you.

Basically, it would give more time to escape/RP but still prevent you from using the services that the original system was designed to prevent you from using.

Could be a good intermediate step towards the slowly spawning hounds.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: ACCUSE Khiol of necro 07/14/2013 04:07 PM CDT
I actually like that idea Caraamon. You don't want to send n00bs after Chuck Norris. You know you're going to need reinforcements because Chuck put the "laughter" in the word slaughter... just sayin'

"Believe it or not, most of us have far more entertaining things to do than yank you up to regale us with tales of textual murder. " ~GM Melete
Prev_page Previous 1