Prydaens and Rakash get penalities? 12/06/2012 05:34 PM CST
WHY. WHY do i get penalties for being a prydaen necromancer? Like I'm not gonna be Lyras. Puh-lease. So unfair. :/
Re: Prydaens and Rakash get penalities? 12/06/2012 06:05 PM CST
Um... don't know what your talking about?. I play Prydaen and I don't get any penalties . I know Rakash , they don't either.
Re: Prydaens and Rakash get penalities? 12/06/2012 06:30 PM CST
Not sure what you're talking about here.

The only thing I can recall about Necromancy that highlights Rakash and Prydean characters is that they should theoretically be less inclined to go that route, what with the massive homeland genocide and all.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Prydaens and Rakash get penalities? 12/06/2012 08:02 PM CST
This needs way more context.

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.
Re: Prydaens and Rakash get penalities? 12/06/2012 08:28 PM CST
from what I have read on simutronics site? It stated clearly that prydaens and rakash hold penalties for being in necromancer guild.
Re: Prydaens and Rakash get penalities? 12/06/2012 08:32 PM CST
>>from what I have read on simutronics site? It stated clearly that prydaens and rakash hold penalties for being in necromancer guild.

Could you provide a link, because I'm pretty sure this isn't the case.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Prydaens and Rakash get penalities? 12/06/2012 08:37 PM CST
Prydaen after-life faith is pretty much reincarnation . They're not as inclined to follow Necromancy because they don't believe in a reason to fear death as other races would.

There are exceptions. As it appears all too possible for a Prydaen to be severed from The Wheel. Resulting in being "lost to the void".

Triquetra Chronicles, Volume 1

""Since that time, those few Prydaen that have been exiled are viewed as a kindred spirit to Cemsiat. Their tails are normally removed, and a magical brand is placed upon them to mark them as such. Once such a process has occured, they are no longer considered kin of the people, and are beyond the usual comforts of the Pride. Some have been able to find redemption within their lifetime, allowing the brand to be removed. Most however, do not. Those who have not, or refuse to find such redemption, become lost to the void, never to rest in Tenemlor's embrace or be reborn within the great Wheel."
Re: Prydaens and Rakash get penalities? 12/06/2012 08:46 PM CST
>>from what I have read on simutronics site? It stated clearly that prydaens and rakash hold penalties for being in necromancer guild.

There are no stat, skill, or other mechanical penalties for being any particular race as a necromancer. Lore wise though, as it has been mentioned, it's extremely uncommon. Your race will effect your stats and TDPs just as it would any other race in any other guild.

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.
Re: Prydaens and Rakash get penalities? 12/06/2012 08:51 PM CST
Huh, weird. I know I saw it somewhere, tried to find it on my history, and its like I never saw it...if I run across it again, I'll post it up. But if we don't then..I guess that's great news. Heh.
Re: Prydaens and Rakash get penalities? 12/06/2012 09:07 PM CST
There was an idea long ago that this would be true since the lore behind either race being a necromancer was very dubious.

It was never acted on.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Prydaens and Rakash get penalities? 12/09/2012 04:51 AM CST
>> Prydaen after-life faith is pretty much reincarnation . They're not as inclined to follow Necromancy because they don't believe in a reason to fear death as other races would.

Heh. While that may be true, I think the more immediate reason is that being a Prydaen Necromancer is akin to a European Jew being a Nazi. The whole decades-long genocide would really put a damper on any Prydaen's desire to exercise the practice.
Re: Prydaens and Rakash get penalities? 12/09/2012 05:52 AM CST
> The whole decades-long genocide would really put a damper on any Prydaen's desire to exercise the practice.

That's a compelling reason, sure, but all the Necros are broken anyway. It was my understanding that, as a cat-necro, you lost your joining to the reincarnation system, and when you died, you died. Thus making a cat-necro a true mortal soul. You'd have to be gibberingly insane to give up a dedicated form of immortality for a questionable form of it.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Prydaens and Rakash get penalities? 12/09/2012 05:55 AM CST
>I think the more immediate reason is that being a Prydaen Necromancer is akin to a European Jew being a Nazi.

Not a good analogy in my opinion. But I'll explain. Philosophers are actually anti-Lyras. Necromancy is a rebellion against Gods and has nothing to do with joining Lyras. So that analogy is like saying you're a Nazi but anti-Hitler.
Re: Prydaens and Rakash get penalities? 12/09/2012 06:02 AM CST
>You'd have to be gibberingly insane to give up a dedicated form of immortality for a questionable form of it.

On that note , it's possible for a Prydaen to lose their "immortality" by becoming Cemsiat . By spilling another Prydaen's blood their cut off from the whole thing. So technically , one doesn't necessarily have to be insane , just desperate.
Re: Prydaens and Rakash get penalities? 12/09/2012 07:43 AM CST

The analogy doesn't really hold up, because the reason Lyras attacked Rakash and Prydaen first wasn't for ethnic or racial reasons, but because they were there. The first "people" she rendered undead were some of her fellow humans <there weren't many of them in the western lands, but there were a few>. By the time the Hunger got ahold of her,and continueing on to When she broke the barricade, she slaughtered everyone regardless of race. The only areas that were spared was Muspar'i - and the Islands, one due to an ocean of sand, the other oceans of water.

An arisen dummy zombie bellows, "You will all be ssslaughtered!"
>
Re: Prydaens and Rakash get penalities? 12/09/2012 08:06 AM CST
>Heh. While that may be true, I think the more immediate reason is that being a Prydaen Necromancer is akin to a European Jew being a Nazi.

Sigh.
Re: Prydaens and Rakash get penalities? 12/09/2012 08:35 AM CST
>>Not a good analogy in my opinion. But I'll explain. Philosophers are actually anti-Lyras. Necromancy is a rebellion against Gods and has nothing to do with joining Lyras. So that analogy is like saying you're a Nazi but anti-Hitler.

"Normal" people of every race don't differentiate friend, Prydaens would be a degree even further than that. Well, at least not normal ones.

>>The analogy doesn't really hold up, because the reason Lyras attacked Rakash and Prydaen first wasn't for ethnic or racial reasons, but because they were there.

Yes, the racial overtones are different. I was not suggesting their motives were the same, and given the historical significance of Nazism, it was probably a foolish analogy, as I can't expect people to follow that comparison only on face value. In any case, I was only comparing the two in the sense that one party perpetrated a massive genocide on another party.

You probably don't care about minute philosophical distinctions between sects of a group if you hate them with an all-consuming passion, even if to the group members themselves, those distictions are real and important. Necromancers have been the single greatest cause of suffering in DR lore, we really can't stress that enough.
Re: Prydaens and Rakash get penalities? 12/10/2012 03:19 PM CST
Khiols link and the Pack link on his page was my attempt to rationalize a Rakash necro (I haven't noticed any penalties) I understand that the lore makes it a VERY uncommon choice for a Rakash or Prydaen. It makes the necro a complete outcast to thier race entirely IMO.

-The Forsaken Rakash
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Khiol