Prev_page Previous 1
Necromancers need some love 11/20/2012 08:47 PM CST

Ok where to start, well lets just start by saying necromancers need a spell that will help them in pvp PV does not stun or lower there defense in anyway there AOE immobilize spell also does no help lower defense. Vivisection is kind of a joke it has no qualities of SNIPE besides you stay hidden. it does not bypasses defense if you win the hiding vs perception contest, it needs to have a bonus like backstab or snipe not in damage but being able to bypass shield like a DFA or LB which bypasses shields... I've pvp'd along time and get mad at the fact that necromancers has no way of beating someone equal or with less in rank's example my Moon mage has 120 shield and 150 evasion my necromancer with 220 TM can't hit him with any spell in his arsenal blb,acs,vivi,sv,bolt PV/VS is worthless because it does not disable there defense so immobilizing and casting does nothing for hitting them...

Anyway my Moon mage 120 shield,150 evasion can dodge my necromancer's 220 Vivi/blb fully targeted spell even if he uses PV/Vs's on him he still wont land it, but my moon mage with 163 TM can nail my necromancer with 200 evasion and 200 shield using burn... If my moon mage really wanted to he could MB and Dazzle and completely own my Necromancer with a fully targeted PD before he even recovers from the stun, but the sad truth is he don't even have to do that he can kill him with burn.. Now where is that balanced A lower ranked combat moon mage with less dodge and shield can completely dodge my necromancers offense, but a Moon mage with less TM can beat my necromancer hands down with Burn or MB/Dazzle combo and PD..

Only option I have is hopefully they havent started the consent by killing my zombie and I can stop there movement with VS/PV combo and let my undead kill them but thats time consuming if I don't have a zombie up, rangers even get a web which lowers defense and stuns someone long enough for them to land a fully aimed poach or snipe...

My main concern is killing someone that hunts where I hunt I'm not asking to kill people way over my circle but be able to defend my hunting area if they hunt where I hunt chances are I have nothing at my disposal to kill them without using a cj...

But also a moon mage can kill me easily with less TM and I can't even hit them I mean come on 220 TM and i cant hit a moon mage with 120 shield and 150 evasion I have no spells to stun or disable any of there defense to make my spells land...

Thiefs can kill me easily though with backstab/snipe (shield bypass) (khri), also Rangers with snipe (bypass) (web), moon mage can stun lock and kill me, barbarian can stun and kill me about every class has something that can stun so they can kill oppents equal in ranks... Clerics, Heck even a empath can put you to sleep and kill you....

My necromancer has no edge to killing someone they are very weak actually, the best bet I would have is train a tert weapon and use VS and ambush them.

moon mage was 120 shield 150 evasion 300 pm 163 TM
necromancer 200 shield 200 evasion 220 tm 320 pm
And the moon mage can own my necromancer not only with burn but with MB/Dazzle and a PD
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/20/2012 08:52 PM CST
a little less caffeine?

Elvis has left the building.
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/20/2012 09:04 PM CST
I haven't tried killing anyone with my necromancer, but have no doubt that I could do it if I wanted to. You don't have anywhere near the skills you're going to need to "defend" your hunting area as you call it. I don't know why you'd need to do that. Evidently you're way out there in the open and not trying to hide the fact that you're a necromancer. Not that you have to hide it, but you need to realize you're going to get owned more often than not, especially with those skills.

If you were wishing you were more like the other guilds you mentioned, then play those other guilds. Perhaps your playing style, race selection, stat distribution, or something else is contributing to your issues.

Elvis has left the building.
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/20/2012 10:06 PM CST
I think you're wildly uncertain of what your spells do if you're making the claims you are.

Protip! If you're fighting a guild that RELIES on magic, you have the most potent anti-magic ability in the game next to cracked out BMR.
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/21/2012 03:03 AM CST

I'm not discussing pvp tactics, I'm just pointing out how weak are offense is are best offense to bypass anyones defense is a TERT weapon and ambushing, are spells can only hit people who hunt below us we can't hit anyone equal in skill...

Other classes can atleast kill people who are equal in ranks mainly thiefs, rangers, war mage, moon mages, barbarians..

I was giving examples like a ranger/moonie/thief/barb/war mage who has 150 main weapon/skill can easily kill someone with 200 evasion/shield, but a necromancer can't hit anyone with there magic even 220 TM and with the necromancer's magic arsenal will not touch 200 evasion/shield and they don't have any spells/abilities which would assist in hitting said person, but almost all other classes do if not having skills like snipe/backstab/DFA spell that would not need a disabler skill/spell...
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/21/2012 03:46 AM CST
1) Every guild can pretty much own every other guild with proper setup or execution. 60 ranks of skill difference is laughably small, you can't compare one person with 150 and another with 200 and whine about game balance, they are essentially the same.

2) Vivisection does NOT need the same attack bonuses as snipe, because you cannot put more mana into a crossbow bolt to make it more powerful. You said it yourself, snipe and vivisection are apples and oranges, you cannot whine about not getting the benefits of snipe without mentioning the benefits unique to the only mana-powered snipe in the game.

3) Immobilization was stupidly overpowered when it lowered defense, too. Not letting them move for a long time is a pretty useful effect within itself, don'tcha think?

4) If hiding/evasion primary, pulsing invisibility, TM snipe, AOE immobilization, and the most powerful magic barrier in the game leave you crying that you don't have enough tools in your toolbox... well.

I'm trying not to make this personal friend, but the only realistic answer I can give to this complaint is that you need to learn to play Necromancers better. Even with their limited spell selection, they have one of the most versatile and frightening PvP (as well as PvE) arsenals in the entire game. Would it be nice if they had another disabler like stun to reduce defense? Sure.
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/21/2012 07:27 AM CST
You are survival prime. Not magic prime.

You can also whip out mudmen and other nasty attacks.

Of course you're going to lose when you only compare a necro to a mm on 1-2 magic categories. Or a necro to a thief on BS only. You're taking the premier functions of other guilds and shining you can't blow those out of the water while ignoring necros best strengths.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/21/2012 07:46 AM CST
Tactics 101 for combat Moonmage or WM <if near in skill. If they outclass you, make use of your primary survival and run like hell.>

1. prepare a zombie beforehand, equip it with a greatsword.

2. hit foe with blb or pv, then put wurm on yourself, call your zombie.

An arisen dummy zombie bellows, "You will all be ssslaughtered!"
>

If fight Thief.

1. Don't fight them in an urban area. This should be relatively obvious, because most urban areas are justice. You don't want to be in a justice zone.

2. "Watch" them. Watch gives a huge perception boost, and they can't backstab if they can't hide on you in melee.

If fighting Cleric or Paladin

1. Run.

If fighting Trader.

1. Seriously????
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/21/2012 09:19 AM CST
Slight tangent here,

2. "Watch" them. Watch gives a huge perception boost,

I'd like to see the end of such a stupid mechanic. But yes, for sure use it while we have it.
Re: Necromancers need some love ::Nudge:: 11/21/2012 10:01 AM CST
Please be careful with the personal attacks here ya'll. They can end up creating massive conflicts, even by saying small things. Please focus on the issue and not the poster.

A reminder, necromancers are a no-conflict folder with harsher penalties than normal.

If you have any questions or comments, please contact me at MOD-Helje@play.net, Senior Board Monitor Sidatura at DR-Sidatura@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl DR-Annwyl@play.net.

Helje
DragonRealms Board Monitor
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/21/2012 10:15 AM CST
There are a ton of factors that come into play especially in PvP that could be contributing to this that we don't know (ex. stats for spell contests, mana put into spells).

Another important thing to note is that comparing characters at the lower end of the scale will favor gimmicks and guild strength heavily, as you start to circle you will find in ways things can change and a bit more variety comes out in addition to the gimmicks and skill set abilities.

Viv takes time to grow into the great spell it is especially as your survival ranks give you the rather ungodly (pun intended) advantage of stealth to synergize with.
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/21/2012 11:10 AM CST
At those ranks stats play a huge role in combat effectiveness as well - discipline, wisdom, agility, & reflex specifically. Take a look at how your stats are balanced between the two characters. It makes sense that a magic primary guild would be more effective at using their primary skill set at those ranks - and by the way Necros can barely cast blb in the early 200s - give yourself a few hundred more ranks and try again.

I agree in a way though - Necros DO need some love. Its been a 'mostly released guild' for several years now; 24 empty spell slots & 1 guildhall is obviously a gaping hole in development - one that I'm sure will be addressed pretty quickly once 3.0 is released & smoothed out.

- Kart / Rhoat
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/21/2012 12:05 PM CST
< 24 empty spell slots & 1 guildhall >

this will be remedied partially in 3.0 with spell feats plus learning analag spells. Plus there are 2 new necro spells that are pretty cool. <look down a few folders to 3.0 topic for details. Then go test everything in test. <open to prime people now>. There's a limit to how much 4 people of various circle ranges could test platside, so nows the chance to break stuff - and hopefully get it fixed -- before it hits prime. :-)

But the 1 guildhall thing... I hope to see more necro-lore-fu once 3.0 arrives in prime and settles down a bit.

>
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/21/2012 02:29 PM CST
Among Magic Secondaries:

Bards: 21 spells live in 3.0
Empaths: 28
Necromancers: 25

Getting a guildhall or two out would be a nice 2013 thing, though.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/21/2012 02:45 PM CST
>>Getting a guildhall or two out would be a nice 2013 thing, though.

A farmer arrives with a shambling Uwresari in tow.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/21/2012 04:42 PM CST
I do think Viv needs some love, something... I almost never use it over blb.

Perhaps an unbalancing effect on PV at a high enough success would be nice too. Honestly PV seems to help me hit, dunno guess it must just be me. Most of the time in PvP i'm usually babysitting zombies and mudman so they don't die quickly by using PV and attacking also, otherwise zombies and constructs die way to easy. I'm happy with how strong zombies are currently but while they're in offensive mode they're also very fragile, and slow which makes it a pain for pvp. Hoping Reverse putrifaction helps with this.
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/21/2012 06:17 PM CST
>... otherwise zombies and constructs die way to easy.

Ive never had issues with Zombies dying easy, they have always been rather robust when compared to constructs. What stance and behavior do you keep them in, how is your TM compared to the critter they are fighting?

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/21/2012 06:48 PM CST
I wasn't referring to dying against critters, I have no problem with zombies and constructs hunting at level. I was referring to an at level opponent in pvp.

I'm not saying they don't work, I have quite a bit of success killing people with my zombie and construct, but like I said I have to constantly pin the person down by using PV and being highly aggresive in hopes they don't turn their attention to them. Hoping with combat 3.0 fights will last longer and better retreat mechanics so slow moving constructs and zombies will come into a bit more use. Ah, and reverse putrifaction would be kind of cool if it allowed them to take abnormal amounts of punishment...they are after all...zombies.
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/21/2012 07:28 PM CST

Well, you do have to factor in that with constructs, necros have a built in group, which is unique. Nobody else gets to play 'look at me while my pet destroys you'.

Re: Necromancers need some love 11/26/2012 06:26 AM CST
I know I'm late but I'd like to see Necros gain some real PvP effectiveness th rough Risen. And I don't mean an annoying, frustrating system. But a fluid, reliable Risen system with many versatile and powerful capabilities.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/26/2012 06:50 PM CST
Thanks Vinjince, mighty kind of you to chime in. I wish something like this would happen too, but given the 3.0 push I'm not sure that it would happen anytime soon. In 3.0 as of the last time I checked our zombies made via CFB can be dispelled via Dispel. Its pretty crazy and I hope they at least make it so you can't dispel a created pet.
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/27/2012 02:22 AM CST
As for love... or hate in necroland....

I think what Necromancers need are "ABILITIES" that align to our primary skillset ,survival. With less reliance on MAGIC , secondary skillset . It's like barbarians having weapons as their secondary .

For all I know this may be by design.
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/27/2012 02:38 AM CST
<<In 3.0 as of the last time I checked our zombies made via CFB can be dispelled via Dispel. Its pretty crazy and I hope they at least make it so you can't dispel a created pet.>>

this.

Just think. all they would have had to do is cast dispel on Lyras, and they could have stopped the invasion....

>
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/27/2012 06:58 AM CST
>I think what Necromancers need are "ABILITIES" that align to our primary skillset ,survival. With less reliance on MAGIC , secondary skillset . It's like barbarians having weapons as their secondary .

DR seems to be moving away from straight abilities, and towards a more modular 'costs you slots' system. And I would hesitate to decry the magic system, since it functions of readily trainable skills instead of static stats or circle, etc.

I'm not saying necros couldn't use more abilities, and I'm not saying they could. Just rambling I guess.

Re: Necromancers need some love 11/27/2012 12:29 PM CST
>Ucu

I actually agree with everything you said. Im justing using the phrase "abilities". Im really referring to anything guild-specific that relies on survival skills. I realize that magic secondary appears to be a grey subject. Necromancers , Empaths and Bards all rely heavily on magic.
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/27/2012 03:20 PM CST
Was a discussion about some things in the 3.0 folders, mainly PV in particular. Now that immobilize doesn't penalize defense anymore it seems really watered down, perhaps it penalized defense to much before but there's not even a happy medium. Basically its a roundtime that you have to wait out. Soul sickness does the same thing its just not called immobilize, but it also puts a target to their knee's at high end success. Viscous solution changed from giving RT to a AOE Immobilize...oh wait tricked ya, its still the same thing. lol.

I'm not really sure what positives we have as necromancers at this point, a lot of people that originally made necros, people that knew what they were doing and had a lot of experience in DR all abandoned them a while ago because they felt inferior to other guilds, and on top of that you have to worry about SO, DO and vitality hits from buffs coming off, holy spells affecting you at high DO and other things. Usually in games if you take these kind of nerfs in some area's then other area's are given positive bonuses, I just don't really see any bonus. I've kept my mouth shut for a while, haven't complained or anything in leiu of 3.0 but I don't think that much has changed, maybe even got a bit worse for us, at least before pets couldn't be dispelled and I couldn't be unbuffed by a moon mage in like 2 seconds. Blood burst seems ok and its the only spell that really seems to have some umph to it, but I haven't really played with it enough in 3.0 to make a good analysis.

I hope you don't feel that i'm trying to say that you GM's aren't doing enough or that i'm ungrateful in anyway I really only just say some of this in hopes that maybe somebody will step back and take another look at the balance of things. I do appreciate the stuff you guys are doing, doesn't mean I don't wanna complain sometimes though :)
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/27/2012 03:36 PM CST
>>Now that immobilize doesn't penalize defense anymore

A player saying that immobilization doesn't penalize defense isn't the same as a GM saying it, for two reasons:

1) It may actually be penalizing defense but the player isn't recognizing it for whatever reason
2) If it's not penalizing defense, it may be a bug with immobilization as a whole in the Test instance

The only thing about immobilization that I'm personally not a fan of is that the durations aren't as long as they used to be, similar to how stun, webbed, and unconscious were reduced in duration.

I know that I see a difference between USOL hitting with and without VS backing it up..

Re: Necromancers need some love 11/27/2012 04:40 PM CST
>I'm not really sure what positives we have as necromancers at this point

Consume Flesh.

>Immobilize

Everything looks cool when it's isolated. Necro players aren't sold on the isolated. As a PvP guild , we're mainly concerned with how things work in the schoolyard. When an effect is handed to us , our first thoughts go to how it will measure up in a fight vs All the other Guilds abilities. The new duration for Immobilize is short , especially considering that fights are supposed to last longer. Dispelling zombies feels like heresy .

All in all , it does seem ,so far, that the guild has only gotten down tweaks in 3.0 .
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/27/2012 04:45 PM CST
>All in all , it does seem ,so far, that the guild has only gotten down tweaks in 3.0 .

I do have to correct myself and say that Ivory Mask is definitely a big up-tweak.
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/27/2012 04:59 PM CST
>All in all , it does seem ,so far, that the guild has only gotten down tweaks in 3.0 .

I think this is a woefully myopic way of looking at the guild. We're getting a buff to our pets, a buff to our TM, a cyclic AoE TM, an improvement to the games only Vit leech, and still have the games most powerful anti-magic ward. In many ways, we have the most breadth of abilities of any guild in game, still.
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/27/2012 05:05 PM CST
>>Necro players aren't sold on the isolated.

Yeah, if Necromancers are known for anything, it's not being isolated.

>>As a PvP guild , we're mainly concerned with how things work in the schoolyard. When an effect is handed to us , our first thoughts go to how it will measure up in a fight vs All the other Guilds abilities.

Do you have a zombie in your pocket, because you're sure talking about more than yourself here as if you're an authority on what "we" want and what "we're" concerned about.

>>The new duration for Immobilize is short , especially considering that fights are supposed to last longer.

Immobilizations, stuns, sleeps, webs, everything is shorter.

>>Dispelling zombies feels like heresy.

Not sure if we had GM confirmation on this yet, but I feel rather confident in saying that zombies being dispelled is a bug more than a feature.

>>All in all , it does seem ,so far, that the guild has only gotten down tweaks in 3.0 .

While I have my issues with some changes for the guild in 3.0, this is a rather dramatic overreaction. BLB now does splash damage. USOL is USOL. IVM. REI gives us the only crafting booster spell around right now. VS can be used without a cooldown period. Zombies can last over two hours. SV doesn't require a full target to restore vit anymore. These are not downtweaks. Let's not act like they are.

The fact that you can't immobilize someone for 20+ seconds during a PvP fight isn't a sign of the guild being doomed, because no one can immobilize, web, or stun anyone for that amount of time either.

Re: Necromancers need some love 11/27/2012 05:40 PM CST
>the games most powerful anti-magic ward

Hehe, Barbarians have a better one.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/27/2012 06:00 PM CST

I could take stuff apart but meh, I pressed the shiny red button. Ultimately I don't think there's a way to judge how the 3.0 , PvP , playing field is going to be at the moment. So down tweaks can be balancing . Im not one of those "game designers are out to get you" people.
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/27/2012 06:33 PM CST
>Hehe, Barbarians have a better one.

But, butbutbut, we have evwil magic!waggle
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/27/2012 07:09 PM CST
>I'm not really sure what positives we have as necromancers at this point

Nothing. Nothing whatsoever makes necromancers worth playing. You need to reroll.

Re: Necromancers need some love 11/27/2012 08:33 PM CST
>>Hehe, Barbarians have a better one.

Is it actually more powerful than WORM in 3.0? Or do you mean Dragon right now?
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/27/2012 08:43 PM CST
>Is it actually more powerful than WORM in 3.0? Or do you mean Dragon right now?

I haven't actually tested it, but since Serenity locks out all of our other abilities, I expect it is.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/27/2012 09:08 PM CST
>> an improvement to the games only Vit leech,

This is probably understated. Since vitality now controls damage reduction, I feel like this spell will be a lot stronger in 3.0.
Re: Necromancers need some love 11/27/2012 10:47 PM CST
>>I haven't actually tested it, but since Serenity locks out all of our other abilities, I expect it is.

Doesn't Serenity eat IF and temporarily drop after each successful resistance?

Re: Necromancers need some love 11/27/2012 10:48 PM CST
>>Since vitality now controls damage reduction, I feel like this spell will be a lot stronger in 3.0.

I know it made training parry a lot easier.

Prev_page Previous 1