Blood Burst 09/29/2012 04:10 PM CDT
I was excited to finally get BLB, only to find I can't even cast it. I have magics 5-10 circles ahead, so who's idea was it to make a spell available at 40th knowing that the person probably won't even be able to use it? Ridiculous.
Re: Blood Burst 09/29/2012 04:27 PM CDT
>>I was excited to finally get BLB, only to find I can't even cast it. I have magics 5-10 circles ahead, so who's idea was it to make a spell available at 40th knowing that the person probably won't even be able to use it? Ridiculous.

I was able to use it at 40th. You need 200 PM to cast it at minimum.

It's a similar setup to many Cleric quests. You're not expected to get it as soon as it's available, but if you are actually ahead of the curve you're able to do so. I kinda prefer it that way.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Blood Burst 09/29/2012 06:56 PM CDT
>I have magics 5-10 circles ahead, so who's idea was it to make a spell available at 40th knowing that the person probably won't even be able to use it?

In my opinion , as things stand , we perform like a magic prime guild. I haven't come across any Necro stats that didn't excel at magic skills above others. BLB is currently a very powerful spell . The achievements for it have been made pretty well known but I can understand your frustration. Don't fret , you'll have enough spell slots.
Re: Blood Burst 09/29/2012 07:22 PM CDT
"The achievements for it have been made pretty well known."

By who? Is there a sign somewhere I missed? Certainly the dozens of necromancers flooding through the guildhall over 40th could have said something, right?

Make it a 50th or 60th circle spell, so people don't waste a spell slot on something they can't use for the next few circles.

"It's a similar setup to many Cleric quests."

We aren't Clerics, and don't have to do quests to use spells. Not to mention, those are spells and abilities that have GOOD REASON to be quest worthy and difficult.

Its ridiculous no matter how you try to rationalize it. Not all of us script 24/7 to have PM 20 circles ahead. In 10 years of playing, I can't remember another time where I actually complained about a guild spell/ability requirements being downright stupid. Necromancers have enough to be wary of, why make a spell unusable when you meet all the 'requirements' to choose it.
Re: Blood Burst 09/29/2012 07:41 PM CDT
>>By who?

Well , if not players , it's been all over the boards. A lot of things about the guild ,should be all , are kind of insiders knowledge despite the fact.
Re: Blood Burst 09/29/2012 07:45 PM CDT
Although , I do kind of agree with your point. It is kind of silly in concept. I just don't think it's kind of an endgame/rage quit kind of deal.
Re: Blood Burst 09/29/2012 07:49 PM CDT
The last guild census, there were 13 necromancers online at the time it was done. How many do you think get together and exchange info? I certainly haven't seen them around. We can raise ourselves from the dead at 20th circle, but god forbid we want to cast a spell at min prep when 40th rolls around. UGH.
Re: Blood Burst 09/29/2012 08:18 PM CDT
All in all , there's so many awesome things about the guild , I wouldn't fret much. There are only so many spells per slots right now. So it doesn't make sense to hold off a spell for a circle , when you'll have empty choices in-between.
Re: Blood Burst 09/29/2012 08:23 PM CDT
The concept Uz/PB/Tev was trying to convey was that the spell is made available for you at 40 in case you are grossly over-leveled, or simply want to use it as a training tool.

Benediction (a cleric spell, not quested for) is the same. Can pick it up at 30 (and I do), and it trains PM wonderfully. But can't get more than 3-4 minutes out of it and can't get above the bare-bones single stat buff.

If you were, say, playing your character like a scholar/mage, and simply trained magic obsessively, and had 400 PM by 40th circle, you'd be set.

The opposite design philosophy is 'guess at what level they will have 'enough' PM to cast it and make that the min'. And frankly that tends to err on the draconian 'they must be able to conquer the world with this by then' side.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Blood Burst 09/29/2012 11:17 PM CDT
AFAIK, tier 4 spells tend to have a min pm req of 200, right?

Re: Blood Burst 09/30/2012 08:31 AM CDT
Yeah, I don't see what the big deal is; the game releases a number of abilities/spells to various guilds that are deliberately designed to not 'come into their full' until a significantly higher skill range. It's not annoying, it's tantalizing. It's getting OM at level, and realizing you can only put a single spell in it, and have to charge it every 10m anyway at 40s RT because it holds so little.

If you can't use an ability, relax, train a bit longer, and enjoy it. A lot of spells are granted early on, but have impressively high ranges before they 'max out'.
Re: Blood Burst 09/30/2012 09:31 AM CDT
IMO Blood Burst is one of the best spells in our arsenal - it teaches magic & TM very well, does NOT cause DO (currently), and kills quite a bit more efficiently than VIV / SV - get yourself a pet bleeder, 250PM, and go to town :)

- Kart
Re: Blood Burst 09/30/2012 09:52 AM CDT
Don't sweat it too much. When I got the spell <soon after 40th>, i couldn't use it right away either. I then sat around casting ease until I could. Now its my favorite spell in my arsenal, use it all the time. At least until 3.0 comes along and I get to play with USOL. :-).

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Blood Burst 09/30/2012 10:08 AM CDT
>> I have magics 5-10 circles ahead

Mmmm, I wonder about that. Lets assume your necro skill order is similar to mine, with PM and Harness effectively tied for 1st magic. 170 PM is required for 45th circle, 50th requires 190.

Near 180 PM my necro was able to cast BLB (went digging through my logs, which is why it took me so long to reply.)

This in addition to all the other posts in this thread:

>>The opposite design philosophy is 'guess at what level they will have 'enough' PM to cast it and make that the min'. And frankly that tends to err on the draconian 'they must be able to conquer the world with this by then' side.
>>Yeah, I don't see what the big deal is; the game releases a number of abilities/spells to various guilds that are deliberately designed to not 'come into their full' until a significantly higher skill range. It's not annoying, it's tantalizing. It's getting OM at level, and realizing you can only put a single spell in it, and have to charge it every 10m anyway at 40s RT because it holds so little.
>>If you can't use an ability, relax, train a bit longer, and enjoy it. A lot of spells are granted early on, but have impressively high ranges before they 'max out'.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Blood Burst 10/02/2012 12:06 AM CDT
I got it at 40th and couldn't cast it, came here to the boards and found out immediately that I needed 200 PM or thereabouts. No big deal. I'm 75th now and never use it. I use Vivisection instead and love it. No bleeder required and trains magic great.

Elvis has left the building.
Re: Blood Burst 10/02/2012 01:04 PM CDT
Can't you do blood burst with no bleeder and just lose 8% vitality?
Re: Blood Burst 10/02/2012 02:31 PM CDT
Vitality loss depends on mana usage and stamina of the casting character.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Blood Burst 10/02/2012 10:19 PM CDT
I have cast it without a bleeder and actually kill better using Vivisection. Magics in the mid-300's. Currently I prep viv 10, target, harness 4, and cast. This works better then prep blb (min prep), target, harness 4, cast.

Elvis has left the building.
Re: Blood Burst 10/02/2012 11:42 PM CDT
>>I have cast it without a bleeder and actually kill better using Vivisection.

It might depend on what you're fighting. I get the impression that VIV is slice and BLB is fire and impact.