Prev_page Previous 1
Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 04/29/2012 12:34 AM CDT
I'm just fuming, but this happens to me a lot. I know there's a bug or issue with zombies disappearing, and everyone knows it that plays a necromancer. If you stray to far while your zombie is out, it'll disappear.

This whole deal, yeah:

IR> command zombie come
You do not have a zombie to command!
I> perc

You reach out with your senses and see flickering streams of black Necromantic mana oozing through the area.
Letting your senses extend further, you feel there is moderately more mana to the west, and around the same mana to the northeast.
You sense the Call from Beyond spell upon you, but can no longer detect its creation.
You sense the Eyes of the Blind spell upon you, which should last for about six roisaen.
You sense the Obfuscation spell upon you, which should last for about seventeen roisaen.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
IR>
You sense your Call from Beyond spell weaken and disperse.

Now I understand that it's known issue, the GM's are quite aware. I'd just like to express my calm frustrations that this is the reason that I don't use zombies, and I haven't for two months now and I probably won't use them much more frequent in the future. But really, I should be able to walk enough rooms (from the Jantspyre River to the East gate in Riverhaven) without my zombie glitching out and disappearing. You want more people to acquire Divine Outrage? Well issues like these aren't helping. It happened to me this same day in Shard, where I made my zombie near the Gondola and went to about (coincidentally) the East gate in Shard, disappeared.

So I'm putting out a Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. (Getting Irritated Zombies Made Obsolete)
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 04/29/2012 01:01 AM CDT
Just command your zombie to leave before you move around. That puts it in a temporary storage space.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 04/29/2012 01:06 AM CDT
>>Just command your zombie to leave before you move around. That puts it in a temporary storage space.

In both instances this was done, I always do that because I'm paranoid some passerby will see it and kill it.
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 04/29/2012 12:49 PM CDT
>>In both instances this was done, I always do that because I'm paranoid some passerby will see it and kill it.

From your post before this one, it sounded like you left it in room A, moved one room, and it despawned.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 04/29/2012 12:51 PM CDT
>>From your post before this one, it sounded like you left it in room A, moved one room, and it despawned.

I can tell you as the eyewitness of said event, that's not how it happened. It was vaulted. Then when I tried to tell it to come, it glitched out. Both occassions.
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 04/29/2012 03:15 PM CDT
I know Zeyurn has put some effort into trying to track this one down. I think it would be more helpful to those trying to finally kill off this bug if you provided more information. Stuff like:

Where the Zombie was when you sent it to storage.
What areas you then went to before you summoned it back. Any odd places like vaults, home areas, etc?
Did you change its stance or behaviors while in storage?

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 04/29/2012 05:52 PM CDT
Already provided that information, but I will reiterate.

1.) First occasion was in Shard, the Dragon Spire Mountains area is where I commanded it to leave, effectively storing it. Ran around the city of Shard for about 10 minutes or so before going to the East Gate, one room removed outside the city. Tried to summon, said I had nothing to command, perceived said I couldn't sense the zombie and it gave me the messaging that it vanished. Second occasion, the zombie was stored at the Jantspyre River. Summoned it outside Riverhaven's eastern gate, near the Mausolem area. Same thing happened.

I didn't go into any oddball areas, vaults, banks... housing areas. Nada. And I always set my zombies stances right after I heal it, before I store it.
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 04/29/2012 10:26 PM CDT
The one time I had this happen to me was in the spire with a juggernaut zombie, the zombie was around until was in the middle of Shard and then disappeared. Im leaning toward somewhere in Shard that is causing this issue.

Elusive
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 05/02/2012 09:15 PM CDT
I've had this happen to me twice, but it has been awhile and I can't remember the details, other than I had just spent a bit of time outfitting it so I was a little displeased at having it blink out. Apologies.

At first I thought I had just done something wrong, so it's nice to know it actually wasn't me.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, not only are you a mile away, but you also have thier shoes.
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/09/2012 02:07 PM CDT
Ok, Resurrecting this thread.

I moved ONE room away..... for no more than 5 seconds....
and my zombie despawned. I moved to the room to check the mana real quick so I could call the zombie in there and use the mana to heal him up after making it. AND IT DESPAWNED WITHIN THOSE 5 SECONDS....

That's irritating. Sure, I can cast another zombie. But seriously, hunting areas completely despawn within that short of a time frame? I know that zombies are considered creatures as far as system resources go, and I know that the system needs to despawn hunting areas to free up system resources when nobody is there. Yet within seconds of leaving? If I move one room to get an accurate PP check of the room, it will despawn my zombie? Can there be some sort of window (longer than 5 seconds) where a hunting area won't despawn? or maybe an exemption made for the zombie? At the very least, 10 or 15 seconds... That should be enough to either check a room's power or prospect it (since this happened in a minable area).
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/09/2012 03:07 PM CDT
For what its worth... I've never had this problem the entire time I've played my necromancer. Granted, I re-rolled my necromancer at 10th circle about 2 months ago to fix SO and poor spell choice. I had never heard of this issue until now... So I decided to see if I could replicate it. Additionally I had no issues traveling on the ferry, or anywhere else. Maybe its an issue with the actual character, specific to the area, or even the creature being risen. Seems to me its not an issue with every necromancer.

[Skeleton's Crook, Winding Path]

You are certain that the dao is worth exactly 2531 lirums. (Making sure I'm in another province to see if anything weird would happen between provinces)
Roundtime: 5 seconds.

You reach out with your senses and see dull streams of black Necromantic mana oozing through the area.
Letting your senses extend further, you feel there is much more mana to the southwest, and moderately more mana to the north.
You sense the Call from Beyond spell upon you, which should last for about twenty-eight roisaen.
Roundtime: 8 sec.

[Eastern Tier, Outside Gate] (Crossing east gate)

You reach out with your senses and see dusky streams of black Necromantic mana oozing through the area.
Letting your senses extend further, you feel there is moderately less mana to the east.
You sense the Call from Beyond spell upon you, which should last for about twenty-six roisaen.
Roundtime: 8 sec.

R>command zomb come
You focus on the thanatological link to your maiden zombie, willing it to come back to you.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
R>
An arisen maiden zombie shambles in with a groan.
>command zomb leave
You focus intently on your thanatological link, commanding your maiden zombie to depart for a time.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
An arisen maiden zombie shambles off with a groan.

["Kertigen's Honor"]

You reach out with your senses and see flickering streams of black Necromantic mana oozing through the area.
You sense the Call from Beyond spell upon you, which should last for about twenty-four roisaen.
Roundtime: 6 sec.

>command zomb come
You focus on the thanatological link to your maiden zombie, willing it to come back to you.
R>
>command zomb leave
You focus intently on your thanatological link, commanding your maiden zombie to depart for a time.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
An arisen maiden zombie shambles off with a groan.

[Leth Deriel, Sana'ati Dyaus Drui'tas]

Letting your senses extend further, you feel there is moderately less mana to the northwest, somewhat less mana to the west, much less mana to the southwest, around the same mana to the south, moderately more mana to the southeast, somewhat more mana to the east, moderately more mana to the northeast, and moderately more mana to the north.
You sense the Call from Beyond spell upon you, which should last for about twenty-two roisaen.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

>command zomb come
R>
>command zomb release
You sense your Call from Beyond spell weaken and disperse.
>
As if racing to catch up, the decay process quickly overcomes an arisen maiden zombie. Putrid flesh withers and evaporates into a rancid cloud, leaving brittle, mottled bones behind that crumble to dust the moment they contact air.
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/09/2012 03:10 PM CDT
Sorry for the double post, I forgot to add I've never outfitted my zombies with anything but dropped weapons from other creatures. Nothing fancy like forged weapons, armor, etc.
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/09/2012 08:08 PM CDT
If you want to replicate it, go into a not very well used hunting area, bring your zombie in. Move one room outside of where they spawn. You'll see it happen. Its happened to me in frostweyr bears, in cave trolls, young cave trolls, bobcats, gargoyles, frostweavers, and several other places.
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/09/2012 08:20 PM CDT
I've seen one other person in the fire maiden/sprite/firecat area. I don't think it counts as a well used area, especially so since I usually play late at night AKST. My zombie has never despawned by itself if I leave the room. You're welcome to come watch if you want.
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/09/2012 08:26 PM CDT
>If you want to replicate it, go into a not very well used hunting area, bring your zombie in. Move one room outside of where they spawn.

If you are going to leave the hunting area, use COMMAND ZOMBIE LEAVE. Despawning of creatures in an empty area is a resource management measure that is unlikely to change.

Elusive
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/09/2012 10:11 PM CDT
Right, but presumably changing zombies to not be on 'normal creature code' or whatever they're on which is causing this issue might be something that could be made to change.

Not that the game is mechanically set up to do this, but it would be nice to set a zombie to aggressive and have them guard the only entry way into a hunting area... or, more to the point, the only pathway to an escape route you're miles down. Obviously anyone breezing through is going to be fine, but it'd be great if we could command our zombies to stay and have them charge and at least stall anyone who runs through.
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/10/2012 12:16 AM CDT
>>Right, but presumably changing zombies to not be on 'normal creature code' or whatever they're on which is causing this issue might be something that could be made to change.

Granted the system isnt perfect, but that sounds like a whole lot of code work to fix something that already has a viable work around via COMMAND ZOMBIE LEAVE and a little player caution.

Elusive
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/10/2012 01:07 AM CDT
>>Right, but presumably changing zombies to not be on 'normal creature code' or whatever they're on which is causing this issue might be something that could be made to change.

If I'm reading this right, it's not a creature thing. It's happening because the segment is being unloaded from memory when there are no players left in it. Everything that isn't a static part of the area is lost. This is exactly what "command zombie to leave" is meant to work around.

Melete
The naphtha soaking a pure white alfar avenger bursts into flame with an explosive WHOOOMPH!
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/10/2012 02:06 AM CDT
>>If I'm reading this right, it's not a creature thing. It's happening because the segment is being unloaded from memory when there are no players left in it. Everything that isn't a static part of the area is lost.

That's how it was explained to us, too.

Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/10/2012 11:34 AM CDT
>If I'm reading this right, it's not a creature thing. It's happening because the segment is being unloaded from memory when there are no players left in it. Everything that isn't a static part of the area is lost. This is exactly what "command zombie to leave" is meant to work around.

It still sucks for us. Would it unload a familiar, wolf, or alfar avenger? If not, what can be done to bring zombies in line with other player summonable creatures? If so, then that's unfortunate.

Markat says, "Pleasant people without moral faults, going to church every week and abstaining from sins such as vanity and zombies. Feh...."
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/10/2012 12:47 PM CDT
>>Would it unload a familiar, wolf, or alfar avenger?

It wouldn't surprise me if does but it's just not something people noticed because they're just not as complex as zombies, so there's very little difference in a fresh one spawning and the old one successfully following you. For whatever reason (if I had to guess, it's because zombies are legitimate creatures as opposed to objects with critter-like tendencies), zombies just can't be respawned in the same manner.

It's sorta like how, if you're stalking a critter, it might sometimes just "poof" if it walks to another room in mid-stalk, but other times you might end up following it. Or if you see something via HUNT, but by the time the RT expires, it's gone. Those are both examples of mobs being unloaded.

If I once again had to guess, you'd see something similar to zombie unloading with Rangers using Awaken Forest, but how often would a Ranger cast it, move in a manner that unloads that particular section of a zone, then try to see if the spawn is still there? It lasts for like four minutes and doesn't follow the user, right? If it lasted longer and could follow the Ranger, I would assume that they'd have the same kind of issues we do.

Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/10/2012 01:04 PM CDT
So then it's not exploitable in a PvP situation ?

>> Zombies ? But you don't have to fight them. Just run around in circles and they'll despawn .
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/10/2012 01:15 PM CDT
>>So then it's not exploitable in a PvP situation ?

>>"Zombies ? But you don't have to fight them. Just run around in circles and they'll despawn."

That's my experience with almost every kind of critter in the game. I'd also guess that's how it would work with glass constructs, too.

That said, zombies/constructs/etc won't despawn if the Necro who summons it sticks around.

Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/10/2012 01:17 PM CDT
>>So then it's not exploitable in a PvP situation ?

Zombies are despawning because of Complex Stuff.

Basically, DR is broken down into what MMOG players would call zones, each zone is nominally independent of the other zones, and this is in large part how we delineate things like hunting areas. As part of the backend mechanics of DR, a zone that is not in use is unloaded from system memory, wiping out all the creatures inside it, to reduce the amount of resources DR needs to run.

Necromancers tend to frequent less commonly used parts of the games than other players, so they're more likely to notice this mechanic. It's theoretically exploitable (and it would be considered a system exploit), but it's far more involved than just running in circles until the zombie disappeared and unlikely to "just happen" in PvP.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/10/2012 01:21 PM CDT
>>Just run around in circles...

FYI that's pretty much the definition of high level PvP :P (at least until someone gets stunned)

__
You hear the voice of Jaedren exclaim, "Look! I'm Leilond!"
You notice Jaedren come out of hiding.
Jaedren shimmers out of sight.
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/10/2012 03:07 PM CDT
Armifer, would you please answer my question? I wasn't looking for a player answer.

>Would it unload a familiar, wolf, or alfar avenger? If not, what can be done to bring zombies in line with other player summonable creatures? If so, then that's unfortunate.

Markat says, "Pleasant people without moral faults, going to church every week and abstaining from sins such as vanity and zombies. Feh...."
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/10/2012 05:09 PM CDT
It should. If I find out it doesn't (and I figure out how), Risen would be updated to also function that way.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/10/2012 07:27 PM CDT

<<Would it unload a familiar, wolf, or alfar avenger? If not, what can be done to bring zombies in line with other player summonable creatures? If so, then that's unfortunate.>>

Actualllllly....

I've done some tests over plat-side, which should theoretically unload more "zones" because of low population - with Familiars. <small ones>. Where I've been in low pop type areas, told the familiar to go to sleep, then logged for the day. So not only left the area, but left the game.

Next day that familiar has been still there, curled up taking a nap.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/10/2012 08:01 PM CDT
Don't familiars wander off when you log?

Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/10/2012 09:06 PM CDT

>Don't familiars wander off when you log?

Only if they're awake. If you tell them to sleep they just stay there for days like they're part of the furniture. You can log in on another character and see them just sitting there.
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/10/2012 10:47 PM CDT
Ah. So there is a mechanic in place that allows familiars to exist in an area that is otherwise unloaded. Is it possible to examine them more closely and see what can be applied to zombies without causing them to become notzombies?

Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/10/2012 11:26 PM CDT
>>If I'm reading this right, it's not a creature thing. It's happening because the segment is being unloaded from memory when there are no players left in it. Everything that isn't a static part of the area is lost. This is exactly what "command zombie to leave" is meant to work around.

I understand the zone despawning mechanics, and I'm fine with it. And it would be a lot of coding to to lengthen that time. I was frustrated and just had to vent a moment. It completely caught me off guard, as the 'zone-end' was literally the next room over, and for the 5 seconds that I was there to test the power, it just despawned my zombie.

Frustrating, but completely understandable. LEAVE command is what I normally use for moving out a zone, and now I know some more defined zone perimeters because of it. I really do hope that zone despawn mechanics don't affect Risen in the same manner, though.
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/10/2012 11:40 PM CDT

>>Ah. So there is a mechanic in place that allows familiars to exist in an area that is otherwise unloaded. Is it possible to examine them more closely and see what can be applied to zombies without causing them to become notzombies?

It might have something to do with the fact that you can watch what a familiar is seeing. There's probably a module coded into them that makes the room observable. Since Zombies don't have that ability to observe the ongoings of a distant room, those modules wouldn't be present. The system doesn't need the area to be observable so it can safely despawn the area, and I'll bet therein lies the key.
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/11/2012 12:05 AM CDT
>>Ah. So there is a mechanic in place that allows familiars to exist in an area that is otherwise unloaded.

Things can exist in an area that is otherwise unloaded. I know treasure map boxes stick around forever (possibly a bug but I'm a fan of it for "and now I add my treasure stuff into this box instead!" purposes), at least in Platinum. And we're much more likely to have a lot of zones totally desolate than Prime does.

But, things like familiars and treasure boxes are a bit less complex than zombies, in addition to not being actual critters. Zombies are continually active scripted objects, from what I understand. Boxes are totally inert, and my understanding is that familiars are only active when someone makes them active. I wouldn't be shocked in the least if certain objects can be set as "don't flush this when the janitor comes by/the zone switches off/etc," but I don't know if critters can join in on that.

But hey, if they don't have to ever despawn, that would be great, but I'm not going to hold my breath or expect it to change.

Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/11/2012 11:03 AM CDT
Again, looking for a response from Armifer.

Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/11/2012 11:05 AM CDT
>>Again, looking for a response from Armifer.

Maybe you should email Armifer directly if you want this to be a conversation between just you and him.

Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/11/2012 12:14 PM CDT
Pureblade, maybe you shouldn't respond to every post as if you're on the development staff. Everyone knows there are THINGS that can survive unloading, but that's not what we're talking about, so your post was pointless. Often times it seems that the GM's won't respond to direct questions if players answer them, regardless of whether or not the players' answers are valid. So yes, considering how few answers we get from GM's re: necro goings on, I'd rather have a response from Armifer than you. And since it pertains to everyone, the appropriate place to discuss it is here. But I've got you ignored now, so go nuts.

Back to my question:

>So there is a mechanic in place that allows familiars to exist in an area that is otherwise unloaded. Is it possible to examine them more closely and see what can be applied to zombies without causing them to become notzombies?

There must be some code that distinguishes familiars from other creatures that would be unloaded, and it would be nice if that code could be applied to zombies without changing what they are. CRAVYD had a theory, and I'd be curious to hear what Armifer thinks about that, in addition to any other distinctions between zombies and familiars that would be important to note.

Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/11/2012 12:47 PM CDT
>>Pureblade, maybe you shouldn't respond to every post as if you're on the development staff.

Because I play a Necromancer, and this stuff is relevant to my interests, I'll cheerfully respond to a discussion about this kind of stuff and participate in the thread. While your concern is noted, but maybe you shouldn't respond to my responses as if you're on board moderator staff!

>>Often times it seems that the GM's won't respond to direct questions if players answer them, regardless of whether or not the players' answers are valid.

Armifer is pretty good at pointing out when someone is correct or incorrect. I don't think people participating in a thread is going to discourage him from responding, unless something silly happens like turning into an argument about who should and shouldn't respond and the posting habits of GMs.

Woops.

>>There must be some code that distinguishes familiars from other creatures that would be unloaded, and it would be nice if that code could be applied to zombies without changing what they are. CRAVYD had a theory...

My own theory is is that familiars are better categorized as scripted items, not scripted creatures. I'm sure you have no issue with me tossing up my own theory, because it would be silly to post something in a public forum asking why something happens to A instead of B yet only wanting a specific person to respond.

>>I'd be curious to hear what Armifer thinks about that

Me too! Maybe we should focus on that instead of who should post how and why.

Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/11/2012 02:00 PM CDT
On topic, or end it.

Take the bickering over to the Conflicts folder.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Missing Zombie Alert: Code G.I.Z.M.O. 09/11/2012 02:57 PM CDT
>So yes, considering how few answers we get from GM's re: necro goings on

You're joking right? Aside from not giving exact numbers, GMs have been almost completely transparent and open about how when and why necro systems function. And are insanely more active in these sub forums than most others combined. I can't believe someone is playing the 'poor me' card about GM discussions with necros.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Prev_page Previous 1