Animation Power 05/17/2010 06:09 PM CDT
One of the things I love about DR is the low prevalence of handwaving when it comes to explaning, and I hope this doesn't end up pushing it.

When it comes down to it, what actually animates the critters of the Necromancers? While I haven't played one to very high myself, from second hand accounts it seems like the amount of mana that is required to casts the spells is remarkably low to give hours and hours of animation (and busy animation at that). Is there some sort of sneaky other force beyond mana that Necromancers knowingly or unknowingly tap to give their creations "life?"

Then again, this may be my biology/physics background sneaking to the front and ruining perfectly good suspension of disbelief.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi, Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Animation Power 05/17/2010 07:43 PM CDT
Vitality / "life force," the supernatural measure of how alive you are. It's the same thing that lets living shadows or fire elementals or a god be "alive" yet without biology as we know it.

The undead organism is dead, yet, through the Transference link, supernaturally alive. It's part of whole unnatural abominations upon Elanthia deal.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Animation Power 05/20/2010 07:35 PM CDT
I'm uncertain at the moment if it made it into CFB's current form, but yes. The undead were meant to have a cost in Vitality every time they rise, reflecting the Necromancer "jump starting" the corpse.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Animation Power 05/21/2010 01:22 AM CDT
Poorly, since Quicken the Earth was a fairly late addition. The original material was not written with the idea that Necromancers could create non-undead constructs. As a rule of thumb, though: if an Empath can beat it with a stick, it doesn't have a life force and none of the conversation we're having about the undead strictly apply to it.

Conceptually, constructs were put in to serve two purposes. First, to provide a Necromancer summons that isn't quite as damning (literally and figuratively) as making Grandma a zombie. Second, to open the door to the idea of animating more exotic and non-traditional things, such as imbuing your enemy's sword with a mind of its own.

The "physics" behind how Necromancers are doing it and why it isn't producing a normal undead hasn't been fully explored.

-Armifer