Abby Normal 06/13/2014 02:01 PM CDT
We're currently starting preparations to move on part 1 of the Risen system. We're conceiving that the first Risen that you'll be able to create is a disposable "helper" that's more system-abstract rather than an actual combat pet. Think of a Necro-specific "contacts" system, and in the place of contacts there is an undead puppet running around doing your bidding. I currently call these Igors, though I emphasize this is a completely informal and OOC term for them.

So, we want your opinions. What would you like Igor to do for you?

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Abby Normal 06/13/2014 02:17 PM CDT
Off the cuff:

Find people, delivering a small prepared speach or allowing the necromancer to speak through them
Item delivery (including carrying crap to be repaired, willing to accept higher cost due to finding the one guy not afraid to fix stuff for a mouth breathing pet)
Corpse grabbing for storage (zombie material, healing fodder, fetish material)

Samsaren
Re: Abby Normal 06/13/2014 02:48 PM CDT
>>So, we want your opinions. What would you like Igor to do for you?

Drag my arrow-riddled corpse back to a guild or other necro-safeish-spot if I'm not in a place that's good for a depart/depart death.

Sorta like what familiars can do if the war mage is stunned, only this time it's only done if we're already dead (and maybe it takes a lot longer for Igor to finish dragging to X based on distance).

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Abby Normal 06/13/2014 03:14 PM CDT
I've recently run into a very long spell of Social Corruption that makes accessing my vault impossible. I'd like an undead packmule, similar to a shadow servant (but different in some way so that we don't step on moon mages toes with it?) That way I can be more self-reliant and stay out of town even longer.
Re: Abby Normal 06/13/2014 03:18 PM CDT
Perhaps it could simple carry a single pack. Like, PUT <pack> ON <risen>, and you'll make it wear the backpack. Then you could either GET <pack> FROM <risen> or maybe even GET <item> FROM <risen> <pack>.

Something along those lines? If it's limited to one pack, that's fine. Perhaps only bipedal critters that could actually feasibly wear a backpack? Then again, quadripeds could be decked out with saddlebag style pouches ....
Re: Abby Normal 06/13/2014 03:22 PM CDT
- With enough thanatology, being able to create a thrall passable enough to deposit money in the bank, or withdraw.
- Echoing my support for what Samseren posted. Especially the repair line.
Re: Abby Normal 06/13/2014 03:22 PM CDT
>you'll make it wear the backpack
A fluffy pink one with a rabbit tail on it right? ;)
Re: Abby Normal 06/13/2014 03:56 PM CDT

Being able to deliver messages or possibly accept items from another PC & hold coins/pack of items are the two I feel are the most viable and functional for this stage of the Risen.
Re: Abby Normal 06/13/2014 06:54 PM CDT

>So, we want your opinions. What would you like Igor to do for you?

Primary functions i would love to see are the ability to find a person and report on it's location. But maybe if it goes into town it could cause a small amount of SO?

Also the ability to stash 1 or more corpses for use later either to make zombies or heal yourself.

Item delivery would be a nice perk.
Re: Abby Normal 06/13/2014 07:01 PM CDT
>>But maybe if it goes into town it could cause a small amount of SO?

Igor will probably have a stat we're calling his facade. If you send Igor into town with a poor facade, Igor probably doesn't come back.

This should probably inform how you view Igor item and coin keeping. I am totally fine with Igor keeping a bank account for you, if you remember that Igor is disposable and there's going to be a day where he's destroyed and the assets taken.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Abby Normal 06/13/2014 07:26 PM CDT
>This should probably inform how you view Igor item and coin keeping. I am totally fine with Igor keeping a bank account for you, if you remember that Igor is disposable and there's going to be a day where he's destroyed and the assets taken.

Hah! Awesome.

Id be happy with the already mentioned corpse delivery and minor item storage (Igor, fetch me another knife!) I think scout abilities would be cool, but likely are better suited to a smaller rodent or bird sized animations.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Abby Normal 06/14/2014 03:18 AM CDT
Igor brings to mind a lab assistant, so, perhaps you can send him to sell gem pouches and bundles (at obvious risk of losing them and him), or procure low level corpses suitable for CF/Devo only?

I also think it'd be super neat if Igor could drag corpses for you, or perhaps do some low level Thanatological stuff himself, like gradually NRing a corpse to full health, preparing corpses for you, etc. Not sure what the pet action -> skill gain paradigm is going to be though.