Thanatology 06/09/2014 08:16 PM CDT
New necro here. I can't seem to grasp what use the thanatology skill is. Near as I can tell, the only reason it exists is to serve as a circle requirement. Is there any beneficial use to having higher thanatology skill? For example, higher Astrology = more powerful predictions. Higher Empathy = faster, safer wound transference. If having more ranks of thanatology actually makes my character better at anything, I haven't figured out what. Strength of a Risen, to the best of my knowledge, isn't determined by the type of creature raised or thanatology skill, so it's not that. Unless I read something wrong somewhere?
Re: Thanatology 06/09/2014 08:21 PM CDT
>>Strength of a Risen, to the best of my knowledge, isn't determined by the type of creature raised or thanatology skill, so it's not that. Unless I read something wrong somewhere?

Zombies != Risen

Thanatology determines the level of critter you can use thanatology on. Outside of a minor boon using wyverns vs ship rats when making zombies, it doesn't do all that much in the long term: eating a ship rat is the same as eating a wyvern. But you might not always want to run to ship rats to heal up. Who knows how making a fetish will work in the future, though, and how much Thanatology weighs in when making Risen.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Thanatology 06/09/2014 08:22 PM CDT
The main use for Thanatology is that it's partially responsible for construct and zombie strength.

I think there might also be a Thanatology contest when using rituals on critters, based on the critters power, but I can't remember whether that is or just was talked about.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Thanatology 06/09/2014 08:27 PM CDT
>>The main use for Thanatology is that it's partially responsible for construct and zombie strength.

I think dirt constructs only go by TM and thanatology is only linked to zombies strength based on what kind of mob you use in creating the zombie. Otherwise, zombies are also TM based.

Glass constructs are based on Thanatology, though.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Thanatology 06/09/2014 08:37 PM CDT
>I think dirt constructs only go by TM and thanatology is only linked to zombies strength based on what kind of mob you use in creating the zombie. Otherwise, zombies are also TM based.

Right I did some research and apparently mudmen TEACH thanatology, but do not use it directly in their contest. Odd.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Thanatology 06/10/2014 12:15 AM CDT

Thana does not really DO anything other then play pretty pretty princess dress up for zombie names. And glass constructs. Otherwise it is just checked for successful rituals on critters.

The real hope is some day it is used to determine the stregth of Risen.

-Zerreck Arkarm
Re: Thanatology 02/08/2016 01:39 PM CST
Didn't I just read somewhere that than was going to or already does play a role in stealth attacks? Much like scouting for rangers and backstab for thieves?
Re: Thanatology 02/08/2016 01:44 PM CST

Than is used with Vivisections snipe.
Re: Thanatology 02/09/2016 07:04 PM CST
A change was made recently that makes thanatology dictate the amount of time needed inbetween SRE. Atleast im pretty sure thats how I read it