Training Thanatology 01/05/2013 09:06 PM CST
Right now I'm using preserve on skinnable critters and then fully arranging and skinning them. As a result, I get very minimal thanatology training. As a new necro, is there a better way to train?

Thanks!
Re: Training Thanatology 01/05/2013 09:32 PM CST
the quicker you can move from kill to kill the better thanatology will move. The problem right now is you don't kill very quickly, you're spending a lot of time with the arranging and skinning, and you've got low ranks which means you're not going to see high mind states. If you can find a higher level sympathizer to kill for you, especially like a warmage with chain lightning, you stay in hiding, they kill a bunch of critters and you perform preserve after preserve on dead bodies and go back in hiding waiting for the next CL cast. Once you get past 75 ranks or so, the training gets a lot easier and more steady.

Elvis has left the building.
Re: Training Thanatology 01/06/2013 12:47 AM CST
>>As a new necro, is there a better way to train?

Preserve teaches first aid and thanatology, plus can be used with arise, so it doesn't teach a lot of thanatology.
Harvest teaches skinning and thanatology, but prevents actual skinning, so it teaches an okay amount of thanatology.
Arise teaches only thanatology, so it teaches thanatology the best.

When dealing with skinning mobs, I switch between preserving/skinning and preserving/arising until thanatology gets to a nice state. Then, I only preserve/skin to keep it going.

When dealing with non-skinning mobs, I switch between harvest and preserve/arise. Once thanatology is at a nice state, I stick to using harvest. It keeps my skinning going at a nice pace along with thanatology.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Training Thanatology 01/06/2013 02:53 AM CST
>When dealing with skinning mobs, I switch between preserving/skinning and preserving/arising until thanatology gets to a nice state. Then, I only preserve/skin to keep it going.

This exactly!

-The Forsaken Rakash
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Khiol
Re: Training Thanatology 01/06/2013 08:57 AM CST
i find that for me, switching out critters works the best. For example, right now i only need than to circle. So I'm hunting otherwise unskinnable box-dropper bipeds and just using preserve/arise. once i get my rank, i'll go back to the skinables.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>