I lost my zombie! 06/21/2011 08:53 PM CDT
So, I encountered something strange with my zombie. I lost my creation.

This was a first for me, and it resulted in the loss of a perfect forged bastie. The problem is, I didn't know that you could only travel so far away from your zombie before it couldn't be resummoned to you. Anyone else have experience with this?
Re: I lost my zombie! 06/21/2011 08:58 PM CDT
>>This was a first for me, and it resulted in the loss of a perfect forged bastie.

:psyduck: Why in the world would you give a forged weapon (especially that one) to a Zombie?

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: I lost my zombie! 06/21/2011 09:00 PM CDT
>>This was a first for me, and it resulted in the loss of a perfect forged bastie. The problem is, I didn't know that you could only travel so far away from your zombie before it couldn't be resummoned to you. Anyone else have experience with this?

If you leave an area, and you're the only one in it, the area itself unloads and despawns anything in the area, including zombies.

When traveling, it's best to COMMAND ZOMBIE TO LEAVE, which will put it into a "storage room" that won't despawn them.
Re: I lost my zombie! 06/21/2011 09:02 PM CDT
I seem to recall a problem with zombies in areas being pushed out of memory (or whatever the term is). If you're the last PC to leave an area, it gets packed away so it doesn't take up resources. If your zombie is in it when that happens... no more zombie.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: I lost my zombie! 06/21/2011 09:03 PM CDT
>>If you leave an area, and you're the only one in it, the area itself unloads and despawns anything in the area, including zombies.
>>When traveling, it's best to COMMAND ZOMBIE TO LEAVE, which will put it into a "storage room" that won't despawn them.

Was hunting in one area, climbed a ledge in the same hunting area, and lost him. I didn't know that that particular climb was an area changer. After all, the same mobs are on both sides of it.
Re: I lost my zombie! 06/21/2011 09:33 PM CDT
The nature of the mobs doesn't necessarily mean its the same "area". I imagine it has to do with the spawn/persistence mechanics.
Re: I lost my zombie! 06/21/2011 09:42 PM CDT
>>Was hunting in one area, climbed a ledge in the same hunting area, and lost him. I didn't know that that particular climb was an area changer. After all, the same mobs are on both sides of it.

World building mechanics can be funky that way.
Re: I lost my zombie! 06/22/2011 02:46 AM CDT
>>Was hunting in one area, climbed a ledge in the same hunting area, and lost him. I didn't know that that particular climb was an area changer. After all, the same mobs are on both sides of it.

There doesn't need to be any indication that you're moving from one 'area' to the next (though there often is), and places that we would intuitively consider a single large area are often made up of multiple smaller 'areas' for technical reasons, such as reducing how much of the game world is in active memory at once.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: I lost my zombie! 06/22/2011 04:11 PM CDT
never equip a zombie with anything you aren't prepared to lose. Best things i've found is throwaway greatswords from the fire maidens and such near sickle grove.

War is Peace, Truth is Lies. -george orwell