Re: "Turning" constructs 08/24/2010 07:21 PM CDT
>Having said that, while I'd like to see necromancers be able to do something to corporeal undead, I'm not sure that manipulate is the best template.

That's spot on and what I was trying to imply. Manipulate is not a template that I would like to see for necromancers. My mention of the lack of development behind the template was to show that the empath version is no good and not the way to go for necros. I didn't say this should preclude development .. as I said, it's a reasonable idea. The idea of a ritual working with corporeal undead is certainly an avenue for exploration.
Re: "Turning" constructs 08/25/2010 09:16 AM CDT
I think, with a skill contest, anything like this SHOULD work on the minions of other necromancers.
Re: "Turning" constructs 08/25/2010 02:10 PM CDT
Constructs are controlable by a Necromancer because in their creation a part of the Necromancer is used, and aids in the Thanatological link. How can you create a link with an already constructed being? The answer is not so simple.

To me it seems that Empathic links are created through differant pathways then Thanatological. An Empath, through mental linking can influence action, suggest action to the point of command, and enhance cognitive ability(link for teaching.) There may be more but this is what i can think of offhand.

Necromancers cannot simply 'will' things through their mind and generate a Thanatological link to them. A Necromacer must use some sort of "tool" to successfully apply a link. As lore requres, this tool is a blade. Thanatology inherently requires a pathway to be cleared for a link to be successful. Necromancers utilize a Knife to cut this path and make clear the roadway to apply their link to their subject. Creating a Construct uses the cleared path of our ritualistically cut hand and the blood from it to both aid in construction and in linking to our golem. To suggest that a Necromancer could 'turn' an already existent construct would mean that the Necromancer was able to sever the link to the creator(who in some cases would be a God) and then invoke their own bond... not very likely that something would stay very constructed after all that carving. Also, breaking a Thanatological link is a huge deal. Other then Death(and that is not even enough in many cases) there is almost no way to break "links" that weren't created in the first place by the person who is attempting to break them. What would it take to overcome Asketi's link to a Black Marble Gargoyle? It's more likely that breaking a link between a fellow Necromancer and their Construct would be much easier.

If a Necromancer could find a way to both sever one link and impose their own upon a Construct without doing so much physical damage as to not disrupt the matrix of mana keeping it constructed, then maybe "turning" could be possible... Maybe through this method a Necromancer could even end up with multiple Constructs to command since a differant type of Thanatological bond is used then the one used in their personal Construct's makeup.

Imagine a power hungry Necromancer outsider commanding a small army of constructs he has acumulated to help protect himself from a group of scorn Philosophers. Too cool.

>ask rangu about hair
Rangu scratches his bald head and says, "I don't have any idea what you are asking me about."
>