"turning" constructs 08/24/2010 10:02 AM CDT
This is an idea, to be able to "turn" existing constructs <not of your own manufacture> to your aid.

Moon mages have the ability to Hypnotize, and then give limited "command" critters of all sorts, <lie down, die, flee>. So this is not unprecedented.

However, this is more akin, and stems from the same source as --

The empaths use their empathy to Manipulate creatures <befriend> of all sorts.
Empathy and thanatology have the same roots. Although, thanatology is moreso within the idea of the dead... and as constructs would be the only creatures you'd be able to "turn", without making a living creature zombie that is - but it would have the advantage of you would be able to use an existing creature, such as a stone guardian or a gargoyle.

restriction, you would NOT be able to use it on other PC necromancers constructs. Only on critter constructs.

You WOULD be able to command it to attack PCs of any ilk however.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: "turning" constructs 08/24/2010 11:34 AM CDT
The necros that have zombies and constructs which can both individually kick the crap out of avengers (broken).. having a better version of empath manipulate(broken)... well, my thoughts -

>Moon mages have the ability to Hypnotize, and then give limited "command" critters of all sorts, <lie down, die, flee>. So this is not unprecedented.

It's unprecedented for a "empathic" style link.. empaths cant even sense or break their own manipulate links at will nevermind command anything to do something.

>You WOULD be able to command it to attack PCs of any ilk however.

Empath manipulate can't do this.. and it will always go to the next PC in the room. Even if you are alone it will wander away 50/50.

I understand where your coming from and it's a reasonable idea but I want you to realize your asking for everything empaths have been begging for through half a decade or so now. I had gotten the impression from some of the GM's in regard to manipulate that it was a complete bust of an ability and that's probably why it hasn't gotten any TLC. They may not want to head down this same road with necromancers in favor of something new and better instead of rehashing what has been (and still is) a terrible guild ability.
Re: "turning" constructs 08/24/2010 02:08 PM CDT
>>I understand where your coming from and it's a reasonable idea but I want you to realize your asking for everything empaths have been begging for through half a decade or so now

Necromancers are not emapths. I'm sympathetic to the general lack of development the guild has had, but that lack shouldn't serve as a rationale for precluding the development of other system/abilities.

Having said that, while I'd like to see necromancers be able to do something to corporeal undead, I'm not sure that manipulate is the best template. Maybe the proposed expansion to rituals could include some sort of interaction with already existing creatures.

It's certainly interesting to speculate if some sort of connection can be formed with a existing undead or if the kinds of undead that PC necromancers create are fundamentally different due to the specifics of the thanatological connection.

"I kept my workshop of filthy creation: my eye-balls were starting from their sockets in attending to the details of my employment...and often did my human nature turn with loathing from my occupation..." - Mary Shelly, Frankenstein