Prev_page Previous 1
Reinforce Aegis 07/24/2010 05:42 PM CDT
Background
Necromantic Theory speaks of a Profane Aegis which steps in to protect the soul when the gods decide to cease doing so. While Philosophers of the Knife never approve of relying on a demonic presence to protect the soul, someone dared step away from conventional wisdom and engage in darker arts than some leaders desired...

Ability
This ritual, granted by someone not of the Philosopher's Guild (or at least not one who fully agrees with Book's ideals on the Philosophy), allows you to PERFORM REINFORCE on a humanoid corpse. While little is understood as to how a flesh-based art somehow functions to accomplish this, the ritual apparently allows... something... to consume the soul of the sacrificed corpse. As a boon to the performer of the dark art, they are further shielded from the wrath of the gods, essentially reducing their Divine Outrage meter.

Alternative Option
The same as above, except instead of reducing DO is prevents DO from increasing for X amount of time.
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/24/2010 05:53 PM CDT
As a note, while I'd like some more consumption based rituals: Spiritual Necromancy is kinda the worst thing you can do if you want the Gods to not notice you.

-Z
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/24/2010 06:02 PM CDT
It wouldn't shock me!

That said, I was basing this idea on the quote below... it's very possible I'm just misinterpreting it but i thought that the Aegis is theoretically capable of protecting us from some rather big nasty god-based wrath.

XXX grins again. "Now, ZZZ, at some point, the gods always shun us. Something about what we're doing really ticks them off. When that happens, we're protected by the Profane Aegis. Usually this means that there's a demonic presence protecting a soul, but the Philosophers have found a way to do it without relying on that."

Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/24/2010 06:07 PM CDT
It protects us from walking the starry road and the red spiral, as far as I know.

Elusive
mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/24/2010 06:21 PM CDT
>Usually this means that there's a demonic presence protecting a soul, but the Philosophers have found a way to do it without relying on that."

I'm surprised he isn't trying to sell a beach-front villa on top of the Greater Fist along with that statement.

How blessed are some people, whose lives have no fears, no dreads, to whom sleep is a blessing that comes nightly, and brings nothing but sweet dreams. -Bram Stoker's Dracula
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/24/2010 06:42 PM CDT
I really like this idea, here's my twist:

>Ability
>This ritual, granted by someone not of the Philosopher's Guild (or at least not one who fully agrees with Book's ideals on the Philosophy), allows you to PERFORM REINFORCE on a humanoid corpse. While little is understood as to how a flesh-based art somehow functions to accomplish this, the ritual apparently allows... something... to consume the soul of the sacrificed corpse. As a boon to the performer of the dark art, they are partially ( or fully ) shielded from the effects of Deaths Sting when they DEPART DEATH or DEPART GUILD . However , making a sacrifice to an entity not of the Thirteen garners the performer unwelcome notice .

Subsequent performances of the ritual would give diminishing returns with exponentially greater DO hits. (Perhaps not exponentially but certainly more-than-linear.)

This idea may have worked in another time and another place, but here it immediately fell on its face and went "Durp durp." - Armifer
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/24/2010 11:49 PM CDT
Alternatively, we could build the Aegis up enough so we can depart with items.
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 12:43 AM CDT
when you depart death <SRE>, you DO depart with your items.

Necromancy provides the only source of reliable and potent life extension on Elanthia.

Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 01:46 AM CDT
Talking about depart guild.

In the event we don't want to revive in the middle of a torched mob, while also not wanting to lose our items.
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 02:55 AM CDT
thats what you use your Igor for.

dracula never made arrangements for his own coffin to be transported, etc, etc. minions come in handy that way. If you know a torch-wielding mob is on their way, give your gear to your igor and go naked into the night...

Necromancy provides the only source of reliable and potent life extension on Elanthia.

Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 03:01 AM CDT
>>dracula never made arrangements for his own coffin to be transported, etc, etc. minions come in handy that way. If you know a torch-wielding mob is on their way, give your gear to your igor and go naked into the night...

...what the hell are you talking about.
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 10:39 AM CDT
...an alt?

This idea may have worked in another time and another place, but here it immediately fell on its face and went "Durp durp." - Armifer
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 11:52 AM CDT
Hah... if that's the case, I think "use your alts" is way too OOC for me. That's like saying "social outrage is fine when you have your second account deposit money/vault items/etc"

That's now how one is supposed to play the game.
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 01:15 PM CDT
Generally I think that Necromancers should care a bit less about gear then normal and are best best off when they have a low gear dependency, especially once you start becoming known as Necro. The risk of loss of items is a good reason to try to stay out of the light as much as possible.

In my case I am making due only with easy to acquire items, store bought or drops.

Elusive
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 01:15 PM CDT
>thats what you use your Igor for.

I'm dumbfounded. Congratulations. I can't think of anything that policy will allow me to say.

How blessed are some people, whose lives have no fears, no dreads, to whom sleep is a blessing that comes nightly, and brings nothing but sweet dreams. -Bram Stoker's Dracula
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 01:36 PM CDT
>>Generally I think that Necromancers should care a bit less about gear then normal and are best best off when they have a low gear dependency, especially once you start becoming known as Necro. The risk of loss of items is a good reason to try to stay out of the light as much as possible.

ICly, I agree.

OOCly, there's a notable portion of DR's RP that is prop/item-driven, so I feel that if the solution is "just don't have stuff and you'll be fine," that pretty much locks players of Necros out of a major part of what makes DR... DR.
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 02:09 PM CDT
Make friends? Useful acquaintances?

Frenemies?

You're a pariah from society, but most players' characters don't belong to society in the first place. If you can't find another player to play your "Igor," there may be something wrong with your methods.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 02:40 PM CDT
<<OOCly, there's a notable portion of DR's RP that is prop/item-driven, so I feel that if the solution is "just don't have stuff and you'll be fine," that pretty much locks players of Necros out of a major part of what makes DR... DR.

And I think this is a part of what makes necromancers "hard." You're going to be restricted with some systems.

Nikpack
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 02:43 PM CDT
I'm continually amazed by people who apparently play necromancers who prefer rebuffing ideas than actually creating their own.

"No, don't suggest a way to reduce Divine Outrage! No, don't suggest a way to depart with items! No no no oh lordy lord no!"
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 03:01 PM CDT
>thats what you use your Igor for.
<I'm dumbfounded. Congratulations. I can't think of anything that policy will allow me to say.

I believe that was a reference to Risen being able to hold Items while the Necro is logged. pretty nice perk if you ask me.

<<In my case I am making due only with easy to acquire items, store bought or drops.
Its nice to be free of stuff your worried too much about losing for a change.

<<"No, don't suggest a way to reduce Divine Outrage! No, don't suggest a way to depart with items! No no no oh lordy lord no!"
I'd rather have quicker , stronger and better ways to take people out of the way of The Great Work.

"Don't try and blame me for your sins, for the sun has burned me black" Your hollow lives , this world in which we live , I've hurled it back."
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 03:28 PM CDT
>>I believe that was a reference to Risen being able to hold Items while the Necro is logged. pretty nice perk if you ask me.

IMO it was a reference to someone using multiple accounts in order to offset the issues with SO.

I could have easily had my Paladin go around buying all my equipment, but I didn't. I instead had my necromancer do his little innocent new War Mage dance in order to get all the gear he needed from Traders. I could have done it much faster if I used my Paladin's small amount of wealth and general "I am not a Necro please buy this for me"-ness, but I didn't. I'm not a fan of using alts to accomplish my character's needs, although I'm in no way perfect at that.

>>Its nice to be free of stuff your worried too much about losing for a change.

Agreed, but at the same time if the Necro alterer shows up, I don't want to then be discouraged from actually keeping hold of what I get.

>>I'd rather have quicker , stronger and better ways to take people out of the way of The Great Work.

So suggest some? It's not like the GMs are going to drop everything based on my ideas anyway, and then not have time to do whatever idea you come up with.
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 04:00 PM CDT
<<IMO it was a reference to someone using multiple accounts in order to offset the issues with SO.

then why did you respond with ?
<<..what the hell are you talking about.

<<Agreed, but at the same time if the Necro alterer shows up, I don't want to then be discouraged from actually keeping hold of what I get.

good point.

<< So suggest some?

I have ; P

"Don't try and blame me for your sins, for the sun has burned me black" Your hollow lives , this world in which we live , I've hurled it back."
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 04:01 PM CDT
>I'm continually amazed by people who apparently play necromancers who prefer rebuffing ideas than actually creating their own.

To be fair, its not that I dislike suggestions or what the idea will change for the guild. Its just that the idea conflicts with some of the established design ideals of how the guild should operate and I don't think it will get much traction.

We already have a means to keep our items upon death. Yes, there are situations where its not going to help you, but I think the idea is that if you find yourself in those situations as a Non-lich Necromancer you made a mistake somewhere down the line and you need to take your lumps and move on. I think that your idea will make it a little to easy to avoid that penalty.

That being said, I do like the idea of rituals or abilities that consume corpses, I think it fits very well with the 'Alchemy of Flesh' idea, turning the flesh of a dead thing into something tangible for the Necromancer.

Elusive
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 05:39 PM CDT
Actually I have an interesting twist to the depart items.

A ritual(no idea for a name), its two parts

Its a ritual performed on a corpse that has been preserved, said corpse is than buried somewhere and upon the grave you perform the second part of the ritual which marks you and the grave spot.

When you die the earth swallows up your corpse and your reformed at the area where you buried the other corpse. Basically transforms the corpse into you.

While its no Depart Items, it will at the very least move your corpse to a much more quiet spot.

You can only have one corpse buried like this at a time and there is a decay so it will not last forever.
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 05:57 PM CDT
>> then why did you respond with ?

I was being polite and giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Also, like another poster, if someone was telling me to bypass a system using alts, I'd have choice words that aren't board-friendly.

>>good point.

Continuing on that point, if my necro goes on a [paid] quest, I don't think I would want whatever i get to automatically be vault-fodder.

>>Its just that the idea conflicts with some of the established design ideals of how the guild should operate and I don't think it will get much traction.

How does it conflict with the guild? Because if we make a conscious effort to do something to offset item loss through DEPART GUILD, it makes the game "not hard"? I don't believe that for a moment.

>>When you die the earth swallows up your corpse and your reformed at the area where you buried the other corpse. Basically transforms the corpse into you.

I love it. Maybe a long[er]-term preserve mixed with taking and burying the corpse to some guild-located graveyard (or other location).
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 06:25 PM CDT
>>Its just that the idea conflicts with some of the established design ideals of how the guild should operate and I don't think it will get much traction.

>>How does it conflict with the guild? Because if we make a conscious effort to do something to offset item loss through DEPART GUILD, it makes the game "not hard"? I don't believe that for a moment.

Ditto. You preserve the "hard mode" by making it require a non-trivial effort to accomplish.

>>When you die the earth swallows up your corpse and your reformed at the area where you buried the other corpse. Basically transforms the corpse into you.

This.

Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 07:10 PM CDT
<<I believe that was a reference to Risen being able to hold Items while the Necro is logged. pretty nice perk if you ask me.>>

exactly. much like a moonmage shadow servant, except more capable of independent movement.

if i was referring to an "alt", i'd say an "alt". in this instance, i said an "igor". a Risen should be much more capable in this regard than a zombie, who can only "hold" 2 items or so items while it exists.

although it would depend on how capable our risen will be in following directions. <ie. tell risen to take gear to placeA, while necro goes to placeb <opposite direction>. mob comes, tries to kill necro, necro comes back to life, sneaks away to placeA and gets gear back from Risen.

Of course that would mean the Risen would have to have some type of preprogrammed "places" that it would go - perhaps a fetish or something could be "buried" in a location beforehand that would give it that place as a destination. Not exactly sure how do-able it is, but it could be coded along the same lines as the self-programable JJ in plat - except it would only "poof" a risen to that location, not adventurers. The Necromancer would be the one that would have to "tap" it and "focus" on it beforehand to set it up - <instead of a MM- as in traditional JJ>
That way if you gave your risen a RJ <Risen Jewelry> - or <risenfetish or whatever you want to call it>, it would automatically go to that destination.

Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 07:56 PM CDT
Thinking of ways to improve the Profane Aegis is a worthy goal and I encourage your character to experiment with new ways of doing it every time he prepares the profane necro-alchemic rituals that ward his soul from the gods.

Er, wait a minute...

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 08:02 PM CDT
>Suggestions, attitude, vision, etc.

People suggesting things that overwrite the disadvantages of being a necromancer will probably not see their ideas gain traction. I like the creativity, I just think people should try to fashion ideas that work within the confines of our lore and the vision of the people developing the guild.

Departing with items was a perk for having favors. We can't get favors and that is supposed to suck, so I doubt we'll be departing with items. Otherwise the concept of favors (or lack thereof) is relatively meaningless.

>Continuing on that point, if my necro goes on a [paid] quest, I don't think I would want whatever i get to automatically be vault-fodder.

If your necro goes on a paid quest, he's likely and justified to get shot in the face if he uses his magic in sight of the others on the quest. Just pointing that out.

Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 08:14 PM CDT
Personally, I like the thought of a ritual that allows you to store a corpse in the earth and take its place upon a depart. I do not however see your gear going with you. However, what I see is a way for you to store a corpse either in a hunting ground nearby or even on the other end of the hunting zone you are in. That way if you should die and be unable to depart death due to terrible luck, you would have the option to perhaps revive somewhere closer than say the guildhouse should you be hunting on the islands.
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 08:19 PM CDT
>>Thinking of ways to improve the Profane Aegis is a worthy goal and I encourage your character to experiment with new ways of doing it every time he prepares the profane necro-alchemic rituals that ward his soul from the gods.

>>Er, wait a minute...

I can't tell if this is a sarcastic snark or not. My radar must be off tonight.

>>Departing with items was a perk for having favors. We can't get favors and that is supposed to suck, so I doubt we'll be departing with items. Otherwise the concept of favors (or lack thereof) is relatively meaningless.

I disagree. They could still depart with coins. Or depart to "regular" locations. Or get resurrected more easily. Or let clerics restore their memories. Or not have to perform certain acts on a daily basis in order to ensure that they could use those favors, unlike a time-limit-based security blanket that a Necro could create. Etc etc etc.

>>If your necro goes on a paid quest, he's likely and justified to get shot in the face if he uses his magic in sight of the others on the quest. Just pointing that out.

Pretty sure I read a post from Solomon where he outright says he expects people to RP around the fact that someone on a quest is a Necro, explicitly pointing out he didn't want to see just that.
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 08:19 PM CDT
>>Armifer

Sorry, my brain isn't engaging right now. Was that the polite/ironic version of, "You're going down the wrong path."?

Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 11:06 PM CDT
You guys need to learn to speak Armifer more often. Seriously.

1)Philosophers don't have rituals that deal with the soul, they are strickly against it

2)A necromancer's soul, its like trying to find waldo after someone has buried and disfigured his corpse and burned his clothes.

Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 11:36 PM CDT
>>1)Philosophers don't have rituals that deal with the soul, they are strickly against it

The ritual itself doesn't explicitly deal with the soul, as much as it prepares the humanoid corpse for the "something" that could assist somehow WRT the "Profane Aegis" that surround Necromancers once the gods abandon them.

It's the equivalent of "walking" an NPC humanoid mob. It's not like the person who kills that mob for the last time is explicitly dealing with the soul, but the end result is still the return of the soul to the Starry Road.

>>2)A necromancer's soul, its like trying to find waldo after someone has buried and disfigured his corpse and burned his clothes.

AFAIK, the Necromancer's soul is apparently protected by the Profane Aegis, so someone knows where it is.
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/25/2010 11:59 PM CDT
You are missing the key point here.

Whatever that entity is that is protecting a Necromancer's soul, the Philosophers of the Knife (which all PCs all, even if they go renengade) will never have anything to with it in any way.
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/26/2010 12:09 AM CDT
>>Whatever that entity is that is protecting a Necromancer's soul, the Philosophers of the Knife (which all PCs all, even if they go renengade) will never have anything to with it in any way.

The possibility that PC Philosophers can eventually become Liches could alter that. It wouldn't surprise me if part of what makes a lich a lich is a stronger bond with something that can manage/control the Profane Aegis, if the Lich doesn't control the Aegis itself.

And, if that's the case, I doubt that it's an instantaneous jump from Philosopher to Perverse/Lich as opposed to a very dangerous slippery slope that Book would not necessarily approve of.

Once a Philosopher is Forsaken, that Philosopher is already in contact with that "something". It's in the Forsaken messaging, from what I see:

"Nameless entities previously hidden in the shadow of divine might are now within your reach -- but so are you within theirs."

Now, does that mean Book would encourage (or even approve) of any attempt to "relate" to those entities? No. At the same time, I am curious how "other" Philosopher leaders (let alone Xerasyth) feel about things, let alone the Perverse group we could potentially gain access to.

Beyond all those options, I wonder if there is nothing stopping the "something" itself from contacting a Philosopher to strike a deal.
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/26/2010 12:40 AM CDT
Not everyone has to be a Philosopher to be a Necromancer, so the Philosophers' prohibitions on things are not absolute.

That being said, the Guild is balanced specifically for a certain gain ratio of DO, so any way to make DO go down would end up making it so that DO went up faster naturally, and probably not in an advantageous way for most Necromancers.

There are a few 'core design tenets' of the Guild that will most likely not be reneged on, but I do read all the suggestions. One thing I'm big on is a thematic (which leads to functional) weakness in guilds, and the Necromancer guild's weakness is meant to revolve around the services most people take for granted.

-Z
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/26/2010 01:13 AM CDT
>>Whatever that entity is that is protecting a Necromancer's soul, the Philosophers of the Knife (which all PCs all, even if they go renengade) will never have anything to with it in any way.

More precisely, whatever is protecting the Necromancer's soul is entirely outside the Necromancer's control. He doesn't get any say in it, whether he wants to embrace it or reject it. It decides to intervene for its own reasons.

The traditional Philosopher approach has been to simply not die, sometimes augmented with the contentious but generally accepted use of Spiteful Rebirth in extreme situations. The second generation Philosophers trained before Lyras made the gods extra zappy; the majority of them have never reincarnated and have no idea what it is you're seeing.

And, frankly, they might get a little stabby if they found out about it.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/26/2010 01:29 AM CDT
>>That being said, the Guild is balanced specifically for a certain gain ratio of DO, so any way to make DO go down would end up making it so that DO went up faster naturally, and probably not in an advantageous way for most Necromancers.

Fair enough. I've been trying to listen to more lectures by the lecture-guy (sidenote: should give scholarship! or at least for the first few ranks before a newbie can start reading basic charts, or something), and the Aegis thing really interested me.

>>The second generation Philosophers trained before Lyras made the gods extra zappy; the majority of them have never reincarnated and have no idea what it is you're seeing.

Just curious, but is a PC Philosopher second or third generation? Is Book second gen or third gen, since he teaches everyone about SRE?
Re: Reinforce Aegis 07/26/2010 01:42 AM CDT
>>Just curious, but is a PC Philosopher second or third generation? Is Book second gen or third gen, since he teaches everyone about SRE?

Markat goes into detail on this.

First generation Philosophers: necro-alchemists with direct exposure to the Alchemy of Flesh.
Second generation: Necromancers who read Kigot's "Philosophy of the Knife" and had an ideological conversion, along with their direct apprentices.
Third generation: Necromancers who are trained by Book.

-Armifer
Prev_page Previous 1