Number of Cards Dealt 06/20/2020 05:00 PM CDT
I'm starting my Tokka deck, and one question is about the choice of dealing from 3-6 cards. I read what I could about it on epedia but didn't get a clear picture as to what affect how many cards you deal has. Can anyone explain it?

~ Vanxa

You see Grazhir cracking open in one sharp movement.
The World Dragon emerges, roaring soundlessly.
It moves to sear Katamba to a lifeless black.
You see the night sky, filled with stars.
Re: Number of Cards Dealt 06/20/2020 05:14 PM CDT
The first 3 are the main prediction. Each card for these 3 is tied to a specific attribute for the prediction. E.g. the card you draw as the thread affects the potency of the prediction. The additional optional Kismet cards just provide a small modifier to the result. This makes it possible to get a larger prediction than you otherwise might have if you draw good kismet cards, but conversely, you can also get a weaker one if you get bad kismet cards. I think the 3 kismet cards provide their modifier to both potency and duration equally, but it might just be potency. I'm not 100% sure on that.
Re: Number of Cards Dealt 06/20/2020 05:40 PM CDT
<<I think the 3 kismet cards provide their modifier to both potency and duration equally, but it might just be potency. I'm not 100% sure on that.

Actually, I've done some further reading of the in-game book on tokka cards which suggests that the different types of cards when drawn as a kismet affect different aspects.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Technical_Study_of_Tokka_(book)
"Consider The Thread, The Path, and The Terminus as houses for basic meaning. The Kismet cards provide additional insight with additional risk. Portents, Avatars, and Taisialaen each govern an aspect of the reading, corresponding to the three positions above. When played in their position of strength, they convey more powerful meaning. When played as Kismet cards, they heighten your understanding of a particular aspect of the reading."

Based on that and the rest of the info on the Tokka Card page, here's what I think the summary of the possible dealt card's effects are:

Required cards in deal:
Thread: Main potency valuie of prediction. Portent = strong, Taisialaen = average, Avatar = weak.
Path: Main duration value of prediction. Avatar = strong, Taisialaen = average, Portent = weak.
Terminus: Determines skill of prediction. Each card is tied to a specific skill.
Optional Cards:
Kismet - Portent: bonus/penalty to potency.
Kismet - Avatar: bonus/penalty to duration
Kismet - Taisialaen: bonus/penalty to polarity/skill accuracy.

These kismets take a bit of deciphering to figure out what they do, since they're ranked in strength, some are inherently positive and some are negative, and they can be inverted. The example the wiki gives is "You pull the first card from your deck with complete confidence, revealing the Spider as a Kismet, but it is inverted!". It's a very weak negative Taisialaen, so it provides a small positive bonus to polarity and skill accuracy because it is inverted.
Re: Number of Cards Dealt 06/20/2020 10:19 PM CDT
Thank you for your reply. Tokka are quite a tangle compared to the other tools. I suppose I'll just dive right in and see how it goes.

~ Vanxa

You see Grazhir cracking open in one sharp movement.
The World Dragon emerges, roaring soundlessly.
It moves to sear Katamba to a lifeless black.
You see the night sky, filled with stars.