Tokka cards and weather damage 08/19/2019 07:30 PM CDT
As a rather old Fortune's Path member, I greatly appreciate the return of the mighty Tokka deck. However, I hope that a QOL change can be made. Can we turn off weather damage for Tokka decks? I see no similar damage with bones, bowls, charts, or prisms.

Imagine how horrifying it would be to bond with a deck, improve it over time, only to have it ruined by an errant rain cloud.

Apologies if I'm repeating someone else's question.
Re: Tokka cards and weather damage 08/20/2019 08:21 AM CDT
Tokka decks are unique in that they take damage on the SHUFFLE, and not the DEAL. Should you happen to shuffle your deck in the middle of a river, or while it's raining, the chance they take damage is increased to 100%.

This was a consideration during the conversion, but ultimately it was decided to leave the water damage in as part of the SHUFFLE. We did remove water damage from the DEAL so players aren't double-dinged, but cards are something you don't want to get wet! (Perhaps the same argument should be made for predicting with charts in the rain...)

You are always warned before the cards take damage, so rest assured that ruining your deck due to an errant rain cloud is not really possible.

-GM Ynami
Re: Tokka cards and weather damage 08/20/2019 10:21 AM CDT
I hear you, but from a practical perspective, allowing damage on Tokka cards doesn't make any sense. Bones don't take damage from mere use. Nor do prisms. Nor bowls (that I can see), nor charts. I haven't played with mirrors in a while, but I'm wagering they don't take damage either.

If you can unroll a spell scroll in the rain and invoke it without the text washing away, then Tokka cards should be able to be shuffled in the rain without mucking them up.
Re: Tokka cards and weather damage 08/20/2019 11:20 AM CDT
Shouldn't we realize that there needs to be a point when the "amazing realism" of things taking damage goes too far? I mean, if use damages a fortune's path's deck, (which is their divination tool) all other items that connect one to the what might be, should take damage just from use. If that is the case, using probably make a Cleric/Pilgrim badge take damage from use. Or we could just stop picking on the Fortunes path gypsies.
Re: Tokka cards and weather damage 08/20/2019 03:18 PM CDT
<<This was a consideration during the conversion, but ultimately it was decided to leave the water damage in as part of the SHUFFLE.>>
<<but cards are something you don't want to get wet!>>

But...why? Why keep a frustrating mechanic like that? What benefit does that have? Immersion? Does the value of immersion in this case supercede the annoyance of the mechanic? I'd say no.

This feels a lot more like GM's being married to concepts and an IDEA!(tm) then actual game design. That has been a constant struggle for many GMs. It really don't take a lot for what should be a fun or interesting system to become bogged down with annoying and tedious mechanics(see the whole of crafting as examples).

We really need to move away from this dogmatic focus on silly concepts like "rain should damage cards" and focus more on user enjoyment.

If I bought an MT deck of Tokka cards(I kinda expect these to show up at some point like the others) and had them take damage from rain I'd be pretty upset and some GM would have been stuck having a very uncomfortable assist.

~Nexty
Re: Tokka cards and weather damage 08/20/2019 09:47 PM CDT
gameplay > realism

Let's not go down the route of needing food and water now. The selective application of these systems drives me crazy! Consider that some people spend years building their tools and bonding to them. It's ridiculous that this is even a conversation in this day and age. Yikes!

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.
Re: Tokka cards and weather damage 08/21/2019 01:51 AM CDT
<<some people spend years building their tools and bonding to them

For what it's worth, a capped deck won't be impacted by this at all since it's immune to the bonds being lowered and thus damage to the physical stats has no meaning for them. Even without weather damage, a capped deck would eventually get there anyway with use without any detriment to it. Thus, this is only an issue during the bonding phase of a deck when it's not capped. Admittedly that is probably most decks, since most people don't cap their tools.
Re: Tokka cards and weather damage 08/21/2019 12:49 PM CDT
>For what it's worth, a capped deck won't be impacted by this at all since it's immune to the bonds being lowered and thus damage to the physical stats has no meaning for them. Even without weather damage, a capped deck would eventually get there anyway with use without any detriment to it. Thus, this is only an issue during the bonding phase of a deck when it's not capped. Admittedly that is probably most decks, since most people don't cap their tools.

What are you talking about? There are no capped decks. Weather damage impacts all decks and slows down an already excruciatingly slow bonding process.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Tokka cards and weather damage 08/21/2019 01:26 PM CDT
<<There are no capped decks.

A fully bonded deck. No one has one yet since decks were just turned back on, but once they're capped the damage doesn't matter anymore.
Re: Tokka cards and weather damage 08/23/2019 10:28 AM CDT
> You are always warned before the cards take damage, so rest assured that ruining your deck due to an errant rain cloud is not really possible.

That's not true. I ruined an altered Tokka deck by shuffling it in the rain and kept wondering to myself "wow these cards take a lot of damage, does my astrology suck that much?" There was no indication that the damage was because it was raining.

And there I was just shuffling because I thought it would be an appropriate affectation to stand around shuffling cards and talking.

So like cool I guess. The div tool I wanted is here, and it has the verbs so at least I can toy with it as fluff. It's unfortunate that the design decision was to make us want to not use them, though. In retrospect I guess it's good I wasn't able to make the auction and try for the set that was up there - I'd feel so ripped off, especially given the price it went for.

I got the verbs. I'm happy with that. I'll just deal without aligning and do a vision for the prediction so I'm not penalized for roleplaying.
Re: Tokka cards and weather damage 08/23/2019 10:37 AM CDT
And can someone explain how damage and bonding correlate don't?

There doesn't really seem to be an explanation on the wiki - or if there is, it's not in any location that one might logically think to look for it, such as on the Divination Tools pages.

I thought damage caused them to lose vision quality. Like a damaged sun disk will tilt your bones towards cursing, or a damaged krr-tich bone might only rarely hit a full 20%, etc. What even is bonding?
Re: Tokka cards and weather damage 08/23/2019 12:54 PM CDT
https://elanthipedia.play.net/Prediction#Tools

In summary, there is a reason to get a tool with high physical quality. It has little "damage" at the start and takes less damage from use. The physical quality does not give you better predictions, though. It only gives you better bonding chances. Once a tool has a low enough physical quality (enough damage) your bond won't keep going up (on average).

Your bond with the tool gives you better predictions. Once you cap your bond, in all four categories, there's no mechanics reason to use another tool of the same type, ever. Your bond can't go up or down from capped by just doing predictions. It can't change, unless you sever your bond to it on purpose. Only more rare and expensive tools are very likely to reach that point, though.
Re: Tokka cards and weather damage 08/24/2019 11:39 AM CDT
Ok so if I understand correctly:

Damage doesn't affect your prediction, it affects your chance to bond.
Your bond is what influences your prediction.

The thing that throws me is the below comment from Raesh on the Wiki. I've avoided tools because the ones I wanted (Cards) weren't an option. I think part of my confusion was this comment

> Note: While [this] set is still very powerful the new system doesn't support a tool being strongly black aligned, so instead it has a terrible Sun Disk - which will have much the same impact in the end. -GM Raesh

( https://elanthipedia.play.net/Item:Pale_bones_carved_with_runes )

If the quality of the sun disk isn't what causes it to weight towards falling black instead of white, how does giving the bones a terrible Sun Disk matter? It would just tank your progress towards improving the bond, right? Not trying to segue to bones, just using these as the example. I spent a couple hours actually searching for where I'd read that so I could reference it, I truly want to understand, and this gave me the impression that damage affected your prediction.

Here's the deck I got altered - I don't know how many predictions I've done with it but far fewer than times I've shuffled it

My Special DeckIts Stats when NewTaisgath Bought Deck
The brushwork is somewhat dim.The brushwork is somewhat dim.The brushwork is quite faded.
The cards are worn from frequent useThe cards are lightly creased.The cards are worn from frequent use.
The lines forming the images are uneven.The lines forming the images are somewhat flat.The lines forming the images are uneven.
The edges of the cards have several torn corners.The edges of the cards are marred by notches.The edges of the cards have several torn corners.
The deck is rather new.The deck is brand new.The deck is brand new.
It appears to have seen little use.It appears to have never seen use.It appears to have never seen use.
The overall craftsmanship is average.The overall craftsmanship is average.The overall craftsmanship is below average and the deck should prove slightly susceptible to damage.

So essentially after ~1 week of very infrequent use it's already dropped quality to match a store bought deck except that a store deck is more susceptible to future damage, and I've managed to not destroy the brushwork yet. As a result, if I'm understanding correctly - it's going to take me as long to fully bond and cap this deck as it would if I'd just bought a deck from Taisgath?
Re: Tokka cards and weather damage 08/24/2019 05:14 PM CDT
<<Ok so if I understand correctly:
<<Damage doesn't affect your prediction, it affects your chance to bond.
<<Your bond is what influences your prediction.

Yup, that's correct! The only part you're missing is the construction affects your chance to damage your tool.

<<If the quality of the sun disk isn't what causes it to weight towards falling black instead of white

Tools can't be weighted to move toward the black side at all, outside of using ALIGN <skill> CURSE versus ALIGN <skill>. A tool with no bond to a sun disk has the default chance of turning a bad prediction into a good one. A disk with a very good bond will be more likely to correct a bad prediction to a good one. Since a terrible physical starting quality to the sun disk makes it much less likely to bond this means those bones, on average, will be less likely to be able to turn a bad prediction into a good one and thus you will be more likely to see bad predictions relative to other tools. It wouldn't be able to make more bad predictions on average than a baseline prediction unless you specifically tried for a curse. Think of it like you can't go into negative numbers with the bond level. The closest option we have are mirrors which provide a small potency and duration boost to curses.

The reason he said those tools are very powerful is the overall construction of it: "The overall craftsmanship is very good and the bones should prove resistant to damage." That bit means that the physical qualities are much more resistant to taking damage, so in the long run even the poor starting physical quality of the sun disk should let you get that bond to at least a decent level. I don't know if it would be reasonably possible to cap the bond on the sun disk though since that's such an odd combination of qualities. The other three bonds should be relatively easy to cap at any rate which is why he said it is still very powerful.

As for your deck, I'd still say that you will still have an easier time with your deck compared to a sect shop one since the sect shop tool will degrade its physical qualities faster than yours. Also, the physical qualities are a range, so its hard to say exactly where you are relative to the sect shop tool in that range. Some unsolicited advice: If you haven't already, I recommend learning the Destiny Cipher spell and only doing predictions while it is in place with as much mana as you can manage. Also only ever do predictions with a full prediction pool. Also, as a suggestion, if you aren't already doing it, I have a throw-away tool I use solely for when I want to do predictions on the fly without needing to spend the time casting DC or having a full pool, in order to keep my bonding tools as pristine as possible.
Re: Tokka cards and weather damage 08/26/2019 11:36 PM CDT
Awesome, thank you for the thorough explanation!

Also I'm seeing the weather warning now. I think I only thought I was outside, I think I really just did manage to brutalize the cards shuffling them frequently. That's unfortunate too.