So How Tough is Capping a Tool Really 03/16/2018 02:08 AM CDT

Circle 199
Astrology 1500+ (before buffs). 1900+ with buffs.
Stats: mentals: charisma 100, remaining mentals minimum of 110 before buffs
Spells cast before every prediction: aus, dc
spells cast 80% of the time: IOTS with buff to charisma/wisdom
full prediction: 100% of the time
Divination tool: a heptagonal khor'vela and goldwood mirror inlaid with geometric illustrations (top end item by pay for event only)

Result:
The glass is marred by numerous small bubbles.
The surface of the mirror is flat but slightly scuffed.
The mirror's frame has modest integrity.
The reflective coating is unevenly spread across the glass, resulting in a dim and slightly distorted image.

Your reflection is scattered into a crowd of disturbingly similar faces, no two quite alike and none of them exactly you (Potency 8/10).
They appear as you may when old and wizened (Duration 10/10).
They pace back and forth, filled with barely restrained energy and an eagerness to unleash it (Skill 10/10).
Power manifests brightly throughout them, giving off a near blinding radiance (Polarity 10/10).

What does this mean?
If you look at the line, "The glass is marred by numerous small bubbles", this means that the odds of capping this item is either zero or extraordinarily low.
Re: So How Tough is Capping a Tool Really 03/16/2018 04:59 AM CDT
> If you look at the line, "The glass is marred by numerous small bubbles", this means that the odds of capping this item is either zero or extraordinarily low.

I wouldn't be sure of this. It's listed on Elanthipedia as the lowest level, but considering I just added 4 more levels to alignment damage below the previously lowest listed, I wouldn't trust Elanthipedia's entry to be exhaustive.

That said, I recently attempted to cap a nomlas-shaped mirror, also taking every precaution, and I also failed:

The glass is marred by numerous small bubbles.
The surface of the mirror is uneven and scuffed.
The mirror's frame has no integrity to speak of and is practically falling apart, allowing the glass to rattle about freely.
The reflective coating shows signs of discoloration, resulting in a dark and distorted image.

Your reflection forms an infinite skein of possibilities stretching out to the very horizons of probability.
They appear as you may when old and wizened.
They pace about as a visible tension thrums through them.
Power manifests brightly throughout them, giving off a near blinding radiance.

Consider that Raesh said it should be relatively certain to cap a store-bought tool with all precautions, and the advantage of higher-end tools would be doing it faster and with less need to take all precautions, and we both used higher-end mirrors, I also feel like something's wrong here.

When I capped my nomlas bones, I didn't have any trouble, and this was before the release of DC. I wonder if DC has a sign error and is hurting rather than helping.
Re: So How Tough is Capping a Tool Really 03/17/2018 02:52 PM CDT
>>When I capped my nomlas bones, I didn't have any trouble, and this was before the release of DC. I wonder if DC has a sign error and is hurting rather than helping.

I've only used DC less than two months. But from what I have seen, it has not improved the rate of bonding my nomlas prism at all. I'd guess maybe that perhaps as you said, either its not doing anything or even hurting.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: So How Tough is Capping a Tool Really 03/17/2018 05:26 PM CDT
Using DC it definitely felt like my bones got damaged much more often. I don't use it anymore.
Re: So How Tough is Capping a Tool Really 03/17/2018 05:30 PM CDT
Update: I continued to try to cap my tool and it is continuing to get worse. Prediction after my post resulted in a critical failure lowering the quality of the item again.

Your reflection is divided into four variants, none of them quite reflecting you as you are.
They appear as you may when old and wizened.
They pace back and forth, filled with barely restrained energy and an eagerness to unleash it.
Power manifests brightly throughout them, giving off a near blinding radiance.

Question: Can we just go the way of forged weapons and spend real life money on capped divination tools? I don't really want to spend another year trying to cap a $100 item and fail. It is one thing when you spend a long time trying to make the perfect item and after a long time, you finally succeed. It isn't so fun spending a lot of time to make an expensive item and then failing.
Re: So How Tough is Capping a Tool Really 03/17/2018 06:34 PM CDT
>>Question: Can we just go the way of forged weapons and spend real life money on capped divination tools? I don't really want to spend another year trying to cap a $100 item and fail. It is one thing when you spend a long time trying to make the perfect item and after a long time, you finally succeed. It isn't so fun spending a lot of time to make an expensive item and then failing.

Alternatively, having infuser stones repair prediction tools would be neat.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.