Prediction data 02/21/2018 07:54 PM CST
Here is some data i have for about the last year. Total predictions clock in at 969. See below for details. Let me know if i missed any messages and i can add them. I used an app called grepWin to search for specific text strings across multiple files in 1 directory. Feel free to do the same and post your results.

969 <--Total predictions Message ID
616 63.57% Positive predictions A sudden feeling of warmth pervades your soul.
77 7.95% Straight curses A shiver runs through your spine
122 12.59% Careful observation curse reversal You are certain that your careful observations helped avoid a darker fate.
154 15.89% Experience curse reversal You are certain that your experience helped avoid a darker fate.

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.
AIM:DamianDR
Re: Prediction data 02/21/2018 07:56 PM CST
I forgot to mention, these are all predictions without tools and most of them 95% or so are done with full pools.

Re: Prediction data 02/21/2018 07:56 PM CST
Thanks Damian. Mind posting your Astrology skill and bond level with your tool?

- Navesi
Re: Prediction data 02/21/2018 08:10 PM CST
Astro skill: 1195

No tool used, all predictions done via PREDICT FUTURE after aligning to a specific skill (never a skill set)

Only spells in effect generally were Piercing Gaze, Gauge Flow, and Machinist's Touch. Very rarely Aura Sight.

Re: Prediction data 02/21/2018 09:38 PM CST

Some results of my own with my latest moon mage. No tools. ~400 ranks of astrology. Very rarely does this use a full pool.

282 <--Total predictions Message ID
165 58.51% Positive predictions A sudden feeling of warmth pervades your soul.
71 25.18% Straight curses A shiver runs through your spine
15 05.32% Careful observation curse reversal You are certain that your careful observations helped avoid a darker fate.
31 10.99% Experience curse reversal You are certain that your experience helped avoid a darker fate.

So in short, ~75% success rate using the least optimal scenarios at mid-lowish ranks.
Re: Prediction data 02/21/2018 10:28 PM CST
>>So in short, ~75% success rate using the least optimal scenarios at mid-lowish ranks.

This is the same as saying once out of every four times you curse yourself. Which means you will curse often enough to be considered a dice roll. I'm glad that everyone is discussing the system and that once you have 1k+ ranks and either a bonded tool or decent Charisma and no tool you can get to around 10% chance.

I think its great that we have such a powerful potential in our guild ability and overall its quite interesting and fun to RP. I just think there should be a method other than teleo to reverse a curse. Think there should be a consideration to adding into the system that if you have x ranks in astro + DC capped + Decent bonded Tool + Night time + Outside + once or twice a day timer = 100% on self predictions.'

So in short thanks for everyone coming together with the numbers and discussion. Hopefully some of you agree with me and think it would be cool to have some hook in the system other than teleo that gives that 100% type of control.

Those of you who don't think so, I see your points too. Just IMHO When you have 10% chance to curse yourself when you really need a buff, it is often prudent to just avoid the prediction system because of the fact that things tend to go wrong at the worst possible time.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Prediction data 02/21/2018 11:30 PM CST

> This is the same as saying once out of every four times you curse yourself.

So use a tool (preferably sect-specific), bond it, fill the pools, get some experience, and don't be surprised that you can't cap out all buffs with a guild ability before you even have all of your spells?

Put another way, it means that a mid-circle moon mage can buff any skill in the game with minimal effort and a 75% success rate.

> I just think there should be a method other than teleo to reverse a curse.

There is. At circle 35 no less: https://elanthipedia.play.net/Category:Heritage_House

> if you have x ranks in astro + DC capped + Decent bonded Tool + Night time + Outside + once or twice a day timer = 100% on self predictions.'

That's... how it works today? Damian just showed how you can get it to a 92% success rate without getting anywhere near cap on astro, without bonded tools, and probably without BC. He didn't say, so let's say maybe you need a ritual spell up too. Not a serious investment.

> When you have 10% chance to curse yourself when you really need a buff, it is often prudent to just avoid the prediction system because of the fact that things tend to go wrong at the worst possible time.

You are a moon mage. Start predicting the future (har har). Seriously though, there's no real situation where you have enough time to predict yourself and you NEED that strong, successful prediction right now. You can take time to prep. If you're trying to give yourself an edge in the wyvern trials (which I don't think balance should be based on) then go work some crafts. The bonus TDPs will give you a better chance against others in the same weight class.
Re: Prediction data 02/22/2018 04:13 AM CST
As a Cleric player, I'm thoroughly baffled how someone can compare communes and predictions and be envious of communes.

Yes, they have ten communes and yes, they don't have a chance to backfire. One let you use a favor orb without going to a temple. One creates holy water, made useless by the Bless spell. One staunches bleeding, made useless by decent ranks in first aid. One creates marriage roses, I definitely use that one for hunting everyday.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Category:Communes

Instead of obsessing over the >8% chance of predictions backfiring (and that's without capped tools), please actually look at the list of communes and their function for a moment and imagine how useful they might be to you in your every-day routine. I use a grand total of one of them regularly, and it's a TM boost that only works against undead targets.
Re: Prediction data 02/22/2018 11:47 AM CST
How about we at least get predictions to work on other players? I know everyone will rant and rave that you can rely on a system that is totally RNG even though half the time the buffs BUG out and wont go past 10 ranks.

The system failed me too many times when I really needed a buff for myself and cursed me. I've just realized its way more prudent to avoid if you really need a buff. Because of real experience using it.

Then when you try and help a new player with a buff and you end up giving them a whopping +10 ranks...Just did a prediction on a friend trying to help them learn a scroll. But my 1150+ ranks in arcana turned into a whopping 10 ranks buff with a full pool, capped dc, capped IOTS for CHA increase, nearly 1k ranks in astro and capped AUS and other perception spells. So apparently curses and buffs wont get past 10 ranks on other people. Even if you both re log it wont fix it like some have said in past.

>>Instead of obsessing over the >8% chance of predictions backfiring

RNG is RNG...10% is the best case scenario and even 10% can equal a lot of variance from one person compared to another. There is also a range of how many ranks you get. I have tested it several times now, I continually get more perception from CV than I get from full pool predictions on perception. Too much RNG, too much speculation on how much use the system brings. When will you actually need a prediction to do anything a spell won't do a better job of?

And I really don't see the big deal of asking for a timer that allows 1 or 2 times a day with other factors to get a 100% chance. The obsessive behavior is the vehement defending of the prediction system even though it's convoluted, buggy and has a chance to do as much harm as it can help.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Prediction data 02/22/2018 11:56 AM CST
>>Put another way, it means that a mid-circle moon mage can buff any skill in the game with minimal effort and a 75% success rate.

This is not even true remotely. Over glorifying and simplifying a buggy system that is never going to be fixed because everyone rants its not broken doesn't change RNG from being RNG. The system is buggy and not even half as good as the blanket statements being made about it.

Really if the system is not going to be altered to allow a non teleo method to reverse a curse, at the very least they have to make DC bond tools way better. And make it so you can actually buy tools that aren't so low quality they end up breaking before bonding. And even this wont make the system worth using when you REALLY need a buff and a curse will totally screw you over. Its always safer to avoid gambling. Everyone who gambles with their lives are even dumber than people who gamble with money. IC its grievously stupid to mess with predictions in a dangerous situation.

Re: Prediction data 02/22/2018 11:58 AM CST
>>Then when you try and help a new player with a buff and you end up giving them a whopping +10 ranks...Just did a prediction on a friend trying to help them learn a scroll. But my 1150+ ranks in arcana turned into a whopping 10 ranks buff with a full pool, capped dc, capped IOTS for CHA increase, nearly 1k ranks in astro and capped AUS and other perception spells. So apparently curses and buffs wont get past 10 ranks on other people. Even if you both re log it wont fix it like some have said in past.

How many ranks did the target have? Not saying it's working correctly, BUT the amount buffed would be based on their ranks in the target skill, not yours iirc.
Re: Prediction data 02/22/2018 12:12 PM CST
>>How many ranks did the target have? Not saying it's working correctly, BUT the amount buffed would be based on their ranks in the target skill, not yours iirc.

I just tested and you are right. I did another prediction and it was 21 ranks for a shield prediction on them and they have 105 ranks. I thought it was based on the person making prediction in the past but maybe its always been this way. Curses are still broken and wont go past -10

Re: Prediction data :NUDGE: 02/22/2018 12:19 PM CST
While I think it was useful to discuss the cleric systems to get an idea where other non-magic skill systems for buffs, we're heading into GvG territory the more the two are compared directly. Let's stick to just talking about the prediction system please. Thoughts on how to improve, analyze its data, or discuss predictions are welcome to continue.

Thanks,

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
Re: Prediction data 02/22/2018 12:23 PM CST
>>Then when you try and help a new player with a buff and you end up giving them a whopping +10 ranks...Just did a prediction on a friend trying to help them learn a scroll. But my 1150+ ranks in arcana turned into a whopping 10 ranks buff with a full pool, capped dc, capped IOTS for CHA increase, nearly 1k ranks in astro and capped AUS and other perception spells. So apparently curses and buffs wont get past 10 ranks on other people. Even if you both re log it wont fix it like some have said in past.

The size of a buff is based on a percentage of the target's ranks (with the minimum being +10, I believe), while the size of the percentage is based on the skill/power/etc/whatever if the person doing the buffing. Pretty sure this is how all buffing magic works, as well.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Prediction data 02/22/2018 07:29 PM CST
>>I just think there should be a method other than teleo to reverse a curse.

As I mentioned in my last post, there is. Just predict again on the same skill. The Heritage House cantrip I didn't know about and is pretty neat. :)

>>RNG is RNG...10% is the best case scenario and even 10% can equal a lot of variance from one person compared to another.

No, Damian reported an 8% curse rate, and he wasn't close to capped Astrology and didn't use a bonded tool or AUS. Speaking for myself, I do better than 8% by a fair margin, likely due to the bonded tool. It can't really get much better.

>>I have tested it several times now, I continually get more perception from CV than I get from full pool predictions on perception.

This may have to do with your skill and tool, as they affect the potency of predictions as well as curse chance. I tested it yesterday and capped a Perception buff on the first try with a prediction.

>>And I really don't see the big deal of asking for a timer that allows 1 or 2 times a day with other factors to get a 100% chance.

It's not a big deal to ask. All I've been saying is that I think it's pretty unlikely to happen, given how robust and powerful the system is already.

>>And make it so you can actually buy tools that aren't so low quality they end up breaking before bonding.

This is something I wholeheartedly support!

>>The obsessive behavior is the vehement defending of the prediction system even though it's convoluted, buggy and has a chance to do as much harm as it can help.

I certainly want the bug with cursing to be fixed, and any other bugs I'm not aware of. As for it being convoluted and having the curse chance, again I think both are part of a balanced and meaningful design. We can agree to disagree here.

Aerathor, respectfully, I think we've all gotten your point. You are unhappy with the level of uncertainty, and that's okay. Maybe a GM will provide a boost at lower levels, or take other action, who knows. I would just say don't get your hopes up, and in the mean time try to make the best of the system as is.

- Navesi
Re: Prediction data 02/22/2018 09:02 PM CST
>>using BC

that's correct, no BC used in any of those predictions.