Ripplegate Theory Premium Preview 01/01/2021 02:29 PM CST
Like the spell conceptually! Can't get it to work. I can get my psychic seed via BC+prep RG, but trying to cast Teleport to it gives me the normal message from BC being up as well as the normal message for "You haven't memorized a grazhir shard with that name." Level 60some moon mage. All RG rooms tested were outdoors in places I can place beams, teleport was cast a short distance away, outdoors, not in a no-teleport room.
Re: Ripplegate Theory Premium Preview 01/01/2021 02:31 PM CST
>>Like the spell conceptually! Can't get it to work.

Try again? I just a few minutes ago fixed the only issue I know that was causing that.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Ripplegate Theory Premium Preview 01/01/2021 02:36 PM CST
Works now, like a normal teleport. Outside perspective is screwyish -

Enmili gestures.
A blinding flash of light explodes into existence! As it fades, you notice that Enmili is gone.

Looks like it's calling on the nonexistent moon I'm casting on, heh. Arrival side works fine, though.
Re: Ripplegate Theory Premium Preview 01/01/2021 02:55 PM CST
Hrmph. Yeah, something a bit odd with the new messaging then, I'll take care of that in a little bit.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Ripplegate Theory Premium Preview 01/01/2021 10:03 PM CST
Really cool spell. Any chance you'd consider letting this work for Contingency or does that fall under the "explicitly only Teleport" comment?
Re: Ripplegate Theory Premium Preview 01/01/2021 10:18 PM CST
Only Teleport means only Teleport at this time. Moon Mage design walks a delicate design where we want them to be moon-based but not feel entirely useless when the moons are down. We feel the current situation has leaned too heavily towards "punish Moon Mages for having limited moon access" rather than "make Moon Mages feel blessed for having good moon access," and so over last year and into this release we've been nudging things. Especially in a time in the game when instant travel is becoming more and more normalized, it struck us as no longer tenable that Moon Mages be limited by the moons in regular ol' personal transportation if we're going to continue trying to feature teleportation as both a major guild theme and function.

We'll continue to tweak and add as we go, of course, but we're taking this in small steps

-Armifer
Re: Ripplegate Theory Premium Preview 01/01/2021 10:35 PM CST
Thanks, appreciate the quick response and your sharing of the design philosophy.
Re: Ripplegate Theory Premium Preview 01/02/2021 07:43 AM CST
What a cool ability!
Now of course I want a ranger trail that I can scout to always lead me back to my cabin door :)

~Hunter Hanryu
>I would like to avoid the collection of broken dreams and sorrow that is the Ranger guild.~Agalea
Re: Ripplegate Theory Premium Preview 01/02/2021 08:18 AM CST
Any chance that ripplegate theory can show up on a perceive similar to how the moons appear.
Something like

perceive
Your blue moonbeam at [Fayl'Shar Court, Almhara Arch] should last about forty-four more roisaen or until Xibar sets.
Your Ripplegate at [Empaths' Guild, Courtyard Garden] is still anchored in your mind.
Re: Ripplegate Theory Premium Preview 01/02/2021 09:17 PM CST
This is a cool idea. I like the direction moon mage development is going. If we could make shift moonbeam make a little more sense that would be fantastic. I think, given the capabilities of jump jewelry, shift moonbeam is a little too restrictive. The same goes for our one AOE debil spell. I think we only need a few small tweaks and I like that you are sticking with making things better with moons but not horrid without them.

The spin of Elanthia on its axis is directly proportional to...hey look a squirrel!
Re: Ripplegate Theory Premium Preview 01/02/2021 10:02 PM CST
>>Any chance that ripplegate theory can show up on a perceive similar to how the moons appear.

Yeah, just trying to figure out the best way to display the information. Perceive would probably be a bit too "in your face," but RECALL might be in the cards instead.

>>If we could make shift moonbeam make a little more sense that would be fantastic. I think, given the capabilities of jump jewelry, shift moonbeam is a little too restrictive. The same goes for our one AOE debil spell.

Not going to say hard no to Shift Moonbeam changes, but am going to say I think that's closer to the bottom of the teleportation list for review. There's already a lot of inputs into that one spell and it feels like "a lot" already.

While I argue that Mind Shout does something worthy a "Heavy" spell, I accept that Moon Mages should have an option for AoE disabling that does not rely on Heavy Debilitation. No ETAs, but it's on the mind.

-Armifer
Re: Ripplegate Theory Premium Preview 01/03/2021 07:21 AM CST
This has been well noted in other threads but since we're talking about it and its on your mind...cyclic would be nice if we were to expand the AoE debil options. Or the whole SLS during the day thing but I know thats been beaten into the ground, dug back up, and beaten back in again.
Re: Ripplegate Theory Premium Preview 01/03/2021 06:42 PM CST
Thanks for the response Armifer. I'm just happy to know there is attention on the subject. Fair enough on the shift moonbeam issue and the consideration for AOE Debil is appreciated.

The spin of Elanthia on its axis is directly proportional to...hey look a squirrel!
Re: Ripplegate Theory Premium Preview 01/05/2021 04:49 AM CST
Thank you for this, Armifer, along with anyone else involved. Solomon questioning us long ago about whether we thought moon mages were still defined by travel sort of sent a collective chill through a lot of us. It's nice to see this kind of recuperative TLC.

One thing I like is that the ripplegate is invisible, unlike a moongate or moonbeam. So it's more like a secret door only the moon mage knows about. Passersby have no clue it's there. The stealthiness and arcaneness of that fits our guild lore very well I should think. If you add on a "recall" option, please let the ripplegate remain undetectable to any character except the creating moon mage. Perhaps that's how recall would work with it anyway.

I was surprised the ripplegate actually is permanent. I expected it to disappear if I exited the game or allowed BC to run out. That really is slick. You can set up a home base anywhere in the world and always be able to return to it.

>We'll continue to tweak and add as we go, of course, but we're taking this in small steps

Is this talking about just RT, or possibly also future expansions of moon mage travel? Honestly, I've thought for a long time that the astral plane could use a thorough concept and design makeover.

~ Vanxa

You see Grazhir cracking open in one sharp movement.
The World Dragon emerges, roaring soundlessly.
It moves to sear Katamba to a lifeless black.
You see the night sky, filled with stars.
Re: Ripplegate Theory Premium Preview 01/05/2021 07:07 AM CST
>> Is this talking about just RT, or possibly also future expansions of moon mage travel? Honestly, I've thought for a long time that the astral plane could use a thorough concept and design makeover.

On a similar note, I was wondering if astral travel speed could scale more like athletics. It is often faster for me to not use astral travel and instead swim and travel to places.
Re: Ripplegate Theory Premium Preview 01/07/2021 03:34 PM CST
"Small request - if anybody feels like they absolutely must add new verbs to interact with moonbeams, can you please make sure there's a roleplay element included in the rollout? I'm still a bit perplexed at how some major game-changing releases go live without one iota of roleplay, e.g. enchanting." - Lenaea, in another thread somewhere.

I love this idea, but please give us some RP when its released fully! It is such a break from the established rules. I'd love to sit and listen to a Merelew pretending to explain the math behind it. Even just a short story would be okay...
Re: Ripplegate Theory Premium Preview 01/12/2021 12:56 PM CST
How long does the preview last? I can't for the life of me remember. Is RT scheduled to go on general preview soon?

Re: Ripplegate Theory Premium Preview 01/24/2021 05:36 PM CST
Does premium preview last this long usually?

> ask mort about ripplegate theory spell
Mortom adjusts his monocle and says, "Instead of relying on the moons, Merelew lunar magicians demonstrated the ability to solve the unfathomably complex equations necessary for safe teleportation reliably enough to do specific feats of teleportation, called ripplegates. This is something the Moon Mage Guild was quick to notice and exploit in an imperfect, but useful, manner.

Ripplegate Theory allows a Moon Mage to, using equations presumably gifted by the Merelew, imprint and solve the equations necessary to teleport to any given area without need for the moons. In practice, the magician uses Ripplegate Theory along with Braun's Conjecture to solve the enlightened math. Afterward, the Moon Mage can cast Teleport at their "ripplegate" to return to the area with no regard to moon or moonbeams. Before you can learn this spell, you must know Braun's Conjecture. It will also cost one spell slot."

Shutting the tome with a slam, he says, "Szarevar, if you wish to learn that spell, then tell me that is your choice."
[Type CHOOSE <spellname> SPELL to learn the spell you desire]
> choose ripplegate theory spell
Mortom gives you a faint smile and smooths out his eyebrow. He says, "I'm at a loss as to what you're trying to ask me. Enunciate your words."
>

Wait...what I was just doing?
Re: Ripplegate Theory Premium Preview 02/08/2021 06:29 PM CST
Nudging this. Can you open the spell preview to everyone? This has been going for a long, long time now.