Prev_page Previous 1
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/06/2016 11:29 AM CST
Hopefully this isn't a secret since it extremely limits your ability to test it (and hopefully gets explained during the quest):

1) Be kneeling or sitting when you cast it. If you don't you will lose half your concentration and have to recast it.

2) Stay seated or kneeling during the whole thing or it breaks it and you have to wait (what I'm guessing is the hour cooldown) to recast it.

3) Someone testing it with me had it say Amlothi and then when they tried to observe it, it still made them use a telescope.
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/06/2016 12:02 PM CST

This sounds like a pretty great spell, but truthfully, the 1hr CD seems excessive given the other limitations on the spell. What is the reasoning behind the CD?
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/06/2016 12:22 PM CST
Just to follow it up now that I was able to cast again. I got Amlothi and was able to do it fine. Apparently it looks like the spell wore off right after pulsing so they didn't notice it was gone and had to use a telescope.
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/06/2016 12:56 PM CST
>>3) Someone testing it with me had it say Amlothi and then when they tried to observe it, it still made them use a telescope.

Can anyone reliably reproduce this? Preferably with logs? Or with something that isn't a planet?

>>What is the reasoning behind the CD?

To limit how quickly you can fill observation pools overall.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/06/2016 01:31 PM CST
>>3) Someone testing it with me had it say Amlothi and then when they tried to observe it, it still made them use a telescope.

>Can anyone reliably reproduce this? Preferably with logs? Or with something that isn't a planet?

I think after we both did more testing with this we found out that it can trigger a ripple and then have the spell end right after the trigger so you don't actually get the benefit of the spell. I just cast it at the minimum to update elanthipedia and got the following so I am guessing they saw the ripple for Amlothi and then the spell wore off right after.

As your consciousness drifts amongst the currents of Fate, you find yourself drawn towards the black moon Katamba.
K>
As your ritual ebbs away, you find yourself returned to a world of immutable, indisputable facts. Things that are, are, and things that are not, are not. A faint dissatisfaction lingers with you, for you are still alone, infinitesimal.
K> observe katamba
You scan the skies for a few moments.
Katamba is unobscured by clouds.
You cannot see Katamba, but sense its weak presence above.

You have not pondered your last observation sufficiently.
You are unable to make use of this latest observation.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/06/2016 01:36 PM CST

>To limit how quickly you can fill observation pools overall.

Right - this seems odd to me, though maybe I'm just underestimating the utility of prediction pools overall. Since this spell is impaired by Teleologic sorceries, it seems not terribly exploitable for a mage to use it to keep their pools more full for more time. I dunno, it sounds like a really neat spell that does a really neat thing, and the 1 hr CD seems to be particularly harsh.
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/06/2016 01:37 PM CST

Also:

> Things that are, are, and things that are not, are not.

Best Louis CK bit.
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/06/2016 05:30 PM CST
Any chance of cutting out the cooldown timer while it's on premium preview to facilitate testing?

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/06/2016 06:43 PM CST
after the casting, how much time do you have to fill your pool before it wears off?
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/06/2016 07:58 PM CST
<<Right - this seems odd to me, though maybe I'm just underestimating the utility of prediction pools overall. Since this spell is impaired by Teleologic sorceries, it seems not terribly exploitable for a mage to use it to keep their pools more full for more time. I dunno, it sounds like a really neat spell that does a really neat thing, and the 1 hr CD seems to be particularly harsh

The spell speeds up astrology experience gain by a lot, so having a low recast on it would alter experience gain too much with no cost. The timer seems aligned with how long it takes to drain astrology from mind lock for this reason. Fuller pools also means larger buffs more often, so having a low recast on it would make the prediction system far too powerful.

Teleologic sorcery already has a spell (Tezirah's Veil) that enhances astrology learning rates at the cost of injury and the effects of corruption. Being able to increase pool filling rates on top of that would make learning rates even higher, so corruption has to limit the use of RTR mechanically. TV doesn't have a cooldown, however, because corruption completely neuters the effectiveness of the prediction system for buffs. Since non-sorcerors don't have any inherent limiters, RTR has a cooldown implemented instead.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/06/2016 08:35 PM CST
I'm considering linking the exhaustion duration to the spell duration, though it wouldn't help you if you are breaking the spell early. Reducing it for the preview isn't going to happen - that would somewhat defeat the purpose of a preview.

As for the last second pulse before the spell ends... I could get rid of that last pulse if it bothers people.

It also needs some messaging related to corruption.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/06/2016 09:32 PM CST
cleared my pools before casting and this was the end result of observing. Also i feel like the panther is a favorite of this spell and i see that constellation pop up the most

You consider your recent observations:
You have a fledgling understanding of the celestial influences over magic.
You have a potent understanding of the celestial influences over lore.
You have a significant understanding of the celestial influences over offensive combat.
You have a modest understanding of the celestial influences over defensive combat.
You have an insightful understanding of the celestial influences over survival.
You have no understanding of the celestial influences over future events.
Roundtime: 17 sec.
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/06/2016 09:56 PM CST
<<cleared my pools before casting and this was the end result of observing

What was the strength of your cast? The duration of the effect makes all the difference in the interpretation of your results.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/06/2016 11:51 PM CST
capped cast ~10 min duration
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/07/2016 12:46 AM CST
Just had a thought about this spell, what if Astrology skill could help this spell become better over time, see below:

-highest astro bonus - spell selects constellations/planets that are multi skill to fill currently empty pools the MM has, so for example if survival and offense are empty, it would select Szeldia or panther for observation

-mid astro bonus - spell selects constellations/planets that pertain to empty pools irrelevant of how many pools they fill, so in the above example it would select Viper(off) or Unicorn(surv)

-low astro bonus - spell selects constellations/planets that are multi skill teachers giving us the possibility that one of the 2 skills would be beneficial to an empty pool

-no astro bonus - works like today, completely random selection

I think this would also go a little way to make that 1hr cool down a little more tolerable. just some thoughts.

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.
AIM:DamianDR
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/07/2016 01:31 AM CST
<<cleared my pools before casting and this was the end result of observing
<<You have a fledgling understanding of the celestial influences over magic. (23-33%)
<<You have a potent understanding of the celestial influences over lore. (67-77%)
<<You have a significant understanding of the celestial influences over offensive combat. (56-66%)
<<You have a modest understanding of the celestial influences over defensive combat. (34-44%)
<<You have an insightful understanding of the celestial influences over survival. (78-88%)
<<capped cast ~10 min duration

Okay, so for that data that was 51.6% to 61.6% of your total pools filled per hour with a capped cast. To make the math easier and give the benefit of the doubt to random chance making yours a high result, lets round that down to 50% thereby assuming the worst case scenario. Given that a min prep cast is 1/5th the duration that should mean that a minimum prep cast will fill your total pools by about 10% once per hour.

It takes approximately 2 full pools worth of predictions, or 40% of your total pool size, to lock Astrology. It doesn't matter how they're split up since you get the same from multiple small predictions as with a single large one as long as the total pool size used is the same. This means that a single cast at cap will lock your astrology once per hour with some left over. At minimum prep you will only get to about 8 or 9 mindstates towards a single mindlock. This is all on top of the little bit of experience you get for the observations themselves, but that's relatively minor to the point of near insignificance.

Lets take Raesh's possibility that the cooldown timer is related to the full duration of the unreleased effect. To make it equally useful as a capped cast it would need to be 1/5th the duration of a capped cast which would put a minimum prep cooldown at 12 minutes. Now, this results in almost equal efficiency across all mana levels with the only difference being in the number of times you have to cast the spell. There does need to be some level of improvement beyond that for using increased amounts of mana. So if we pull back the cooldown at minimum prep to 30 minutes and scale it from there to 60 minutes at cap then an increasing effect on experience will be gained from mana used. I.e. at minimum prep you would be able to cast it twice in the same time as a max cast resulting in ~20% of your total pools worth of observations and ~17/34 worth of experience per hour. Assuming a linear scale, at 50% mana you would be able to cast a 6 minute duration once every 45 minutes. This would result in ~37.5% of your total pools' worth of observations and ~32/34 worth of experience per hour. At max cap you, as indicated above you would get ~50% of your total pools' worth of observations and 34/34 plus ~8/34 worth of experience per hour.

Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/07/2016 02:06 AM CST
Since the comparison seems inevitable I'll note that I have some approved adjustments coming to several Teleologic Sorcery spells to improve them, but the self cast function of Tezirah's veil is certainly going to be toned down.

-Raesh

Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/07/2016 07:21 AM CST
let me know if you want me to run this a few more times and post result or change up casting rates. happy to post data.
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/07/2016 01:10 PM CST
It seems pretty decent from what I could tell, though i'm not premie so I've not been able to test it. Like its been said, whatever limitations are on it are most likely due to filling the pools, and not necessarily time to lock. Still seems like a pretty decent way to fill your pools in a pinch. I won't argue with something to ease astrology learning though, since this along with other means will undoubtedly make it easier.

One thing I was wondering is how long does it take to cycle through the whole spell? Is it observing the whole 10 minute duration on random constellations when capped? Or do you get a certain amount per capped duration and not have to spend the whole 10 minutes observing constellations as they come. I'm assuming its the whole 10 minutes at cap, and if you don't wanna wait around that long you just have to cast lower and not get as much foresight.
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/14/2016 03:28 PM CST
Hooray. I just tested this for the first time, and it looks great. Clear pools at the start, 650 mana cast for ~9min duration, nighttime.

You have an insightful understanding of the celestial influences over magic.
You have an insightful understanding of the celestial influences over lore.
You have a complete understanding of the celestial influences over offensive combat.
You have an insightful understanding of the celestial influences over defensive combat.
You have a decent understanding of the celestial influences over survival.

Anyone tested yet what happens if you stand up at some point?

Also Raesh, your recent changes made me think about Scholarship's role. If it plays such a heavy role in observing, I wonder why it doesn't teach more? I tested with a single observation and got to dabbling, but just after I was done with RTR I checked and was clear.

- Navesi
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/14/2016 03:29 PM CST
>Also Raesh, your recent changes made me think about Scholarship's role. If it plays such a heavy role in observing

It doesn't play that big of a role, but the point where it was playing a role was equal to astrology which I didn't like.

-Raesh

Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/14/2016 03:55 PM CST
>Anyone tested yet what happens if you stand up at some point?

It stops the ritual instantly and you have to wait to recast.
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/14/2016 04:19 PM CST

Would it be possible to add messaging when the timer is still in effect when you perceive?

Even if it is very generic in the messaging of how long till you can recast.
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/14/2016 04:45 PM CST
>It stops the ritual instantly and you have to wait to recast.

I'm wondering if it'd make sense to have the cast itself force us to at least kneel? It was annoying to accidentally cast it a couple times during testing only to have it fail because I was standing. I'd think from a ritual point of view, and understanding of the spell, it'd take into account that you need to be at least kneel before you complete it.
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/14/2016 07:19 PM CST
>>I'm wondering if it'd make sense to have the cast itself force us to at least kneel?

Lunar magic has never been very forgiving about user error. Be glad it doesn't blow up?

-Raesh

Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/15/2016 07:59 PM CST
Is there any chance it could be cast inside buildings that have a view of the sky? If I can look out the window to see the sky for a normal prediction, why can't I do the same while using this spell?

You gaze towards the heavens seeking their silent guidance.
The mental strain of this pattern is considerably eased by your ritual focus.
The energy contained in your ritual flutters away impotently as it seeks the open skies.

s> obs sky
You glance outside.
The night winter sky is a crisp, clear, starry black.

The following heavenly bodies are visible:
The planet Szeldia (O-S) is unobscured by clouds.
The Unicorn (S) is unobscured by clouds.
The Heart (S) is unobscured by clouds.
The Nightingale (D-M) is unobscured by clouds.
The Magpie (D) is unobscured by clouds.
The Wolf (M) is unobscured by clouds.
The Coyote (M-O) is unobscured by clouds.
The Shark (O-S) is unobscured by clouds.
The Ram (S) is unobscured by clouds.
The Cat (O) is unobscured by clouds.
The Raven (L) is unobscured by clouds.
The Welkin (D-L) is unobscured by clouds.
The Goshawk (D-S) is unobscured by clouds.
The Brigantine (S-L) is unobscured by clouds.
The Spider (O) is unobscured by clouds.
The Toad (M) is unobscured by clouds.
The Dolphin (S-L) is unobscured by clouds.
The Giant (D) is unobscured by clouds.
The Shrike (M-S) is unobscured by clouds.
Katamba (D) is unobscured by clouds.
Xibar (L) is unobscured by clouds.
Yavash (M) is unobscured by clouds.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/15/2016 08:05 PM CST
Just wanna say I like the spell, it definitely does what I thought it would. I actually took up trying to bond up a average quality divination prism from the Monk sect shop. I really need to get a better one.
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/15/2016 08:17 PM CST
>Is there any chance it could be cast inside buildings that have a view of the sky?

Nope.

-Raesh

Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/15/2016 08:59 PM CST
Yes, this spell is awesome and it is a must to have. Thanks Raesh.
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/15/2016 09:08 PM CST
and i should amend that statement as i was not planning on using the spell, but this spell opens up a lot of possibility.
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/15/2016 09:27 PM CST
>Nope.

>-Raesh

Mind explaining the reasoning why not?
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/15/2016 09:44 PM CST
>>Since you made the changes to Astrology I have noticed that some of the constellations seem to be filling up pools that they didn't before (at least with RTR up).

From the list of tweaks made to RTR when it went on general preview:

5) When observing the proper target under the influence of Read the Ripples you will gain some additional knowledge into a random pool.

>>Mind explaining the reasoning why not?

For the same reason you have to sit or kneel to perform the ritual - it's thematically appropriate. (Okay, I admit, the sitting/kneeling is ALSO because I don't want people trying to find a way to use this while in combat...)

-Raesh

Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/15/2016 10:30 PM CST
>(Okay, I admit, the sitting/kneeling is ALSO because I don't want people trying to find a way to use this while in combat...)

Hahaha. I was Just looking up flying carpets and brooms to see if you could sit on them. Alas you do not. Too bad there's no sky in the AP, we could travel sitting down with the 100th circle ability while using RtR.

I really like RtR. Now just to get comfortable enough with the hour cooldown so I don't miss any opportunities to cast it. I might actually bond these charts some time this century now.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/15/2016 10:31 PM CST
Really wish I'd had this when I was bonding my bones. Maybe I'll work up a second tool, now.
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/16/2016 01:07 AM CST
<For the same reason you have to sit or kneel to perform the ritual - it's thematically appropriate. (Okay, I admit, the sitting/kneeling is ALSO because I don't want people trying to find a way to use this while in combat...)

It would be hard to use in combat since you can't observe while in combat...
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/16/2016 01:11 AM CST
> It would be hard to use in combat since you can't observe while in combat...

You can if you retreat to missile.

I bet you could use RTR in combat with WD.
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/16/2016 01:12 AM CST
But yah I decided to buy this...

anal prism
You turn your prism about, carefully evaluating the craftsmanship.

The refraction of the prism is comparable to water.
The prism is exceptionally well-balanced.
The interior has a few tiny inclusions.
The planes of the prism are very smooth and unblemished.
The prism is brand new.
It appears to have never seen use.
The overall craftsmanship is masterful and the prism should prove nearly impervious to damage.

Recognizing the investiture as your own, you cautiously probe the prism with your prophetic talent.

Only one vertex is bound to probability.
The prism is completely inert.
It has a completely random prophetic composition.
It is almost certain to cause unintentional internal inversion.
Roundtime: 10 sec.
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/16/2016 04:22 AM CST
You guys are going to make me put a hard engagement check on it aren't you? Instead of tempting you with the possibility and then letting something eat your face while you sit around stargazing.

-Raesh

Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/16/2016 11:21 AM CST
Hugh Jackman floating in Lotus pose, on the Fountain movie images float into mind. So yeah... now I want a way to float around and move rooms while sitting in Lotus pose.
Re: Read the Ripples (Moon Mage Spell) on Premium Preview 02/17/2016 10:35 PM CST
It only works in downward dog.

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Prev_page Previous 1