Re: Telekinetic Updates 06/30/2014 10:51 AM CDT
From what brief testing I've managed, this appears to be working correctly... although there a no moons for 2.5 hours so I can't test slivers. Figures. :p

<<2) It is no longer possible for your spell to fail because of speed & weight calculations. These calculations are still used for messaging, but you will always achieve a velocity necessary to harm a target if you're using an object that's valid for the spell.

I just want to confirm two things with this. First, this basically means that any item that can be picked up and dropped can be used as ammunition now? Second, does this mean that objects that previously were too heavy for the spell to move now just do minimum damage? I.e. sorting room inventory is no longer necessary to do damage period, but still necessary to maximize damage.
Re: Telekinetic Updates 06/30/2014 10:58 AM CDT
Speed hasn't impacted damage since the 3.0 release, and now it doesn't cause the spell to abort at low mana either. As long as the spell picks up something that is valid for the spell (an item can be invalid to use for a number of reasons), it will go flying.

Speed is now purely a matter of varying up the messaging.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Telekinetic Updates 06/30/2014 11:01 AM CDT
Got it. I was doing more testing and noticed everything was damaging about the same and came to that same conclusion, so that has made this a much less hoop-jumpy spell now. Thanks!

I can't wait to try out slivers! 2 hours 15 minutes and counting now... :/
Re: Telekinetic Updates 06/30/2014 11:05 AM CDT
Raesh and I have talked briefly about the moons lately. I have something in mind, but it'd be a pretty extreme change so I want to have more thought time.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Telekinetic Updates 06/30/2014 12:29 PM CDT
>but it'd be a pretty extreme change so I want to have more thought time.

If it made MMs less obnoxious to play, where there weren't long periods of 'sorry you can't use XYZ because no moons' I'd probably consider actually playing one.

I have a question: ammo no longer matters, right? So a rock will do the same damage as a capped crafted arrow? I think this is a vastly outdated question, since my knowledge of MMs is like 5+ years old.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Telekinetic Updates 06/30/2014 12:32 PM CDT
>>I have a question: ammo no longer matters, right? So a rock will do the same damage as a capped crafted arrow? I think this is a vastly outdated question, since my knowledge of MMs is like 5+ years old.

Correct.

-Armifer
Re: Telekinetic Updates 06/30/2014 12:43 PM CDT
I'm a bit confused as to why the object thrown wouldn't affect damage. How does a rock do the same damage as a needle, or a dust bunny (I haven't tried to use a dust bunny yet ...) ? Would anyone care to shed some light on this for me?

I do recognize that inconsistency would be a major concern, but is the solution really to just make object type irrelevant?
Re: Telekinetic Updates 06/30/2014 12:49 PM CDT
>>I do recognize that inconsistency would be a major concern, but is the solution really to just make object type irrelevant?

Pretty much. I mean, I can nerf damage based on object if you want, but I'm not going to increase it.

Plus at the speeds TKT is supposed to be launching things (often in excess of 100mph) innocuous things can start punching holes in concrete.

-Armifer
Re: Telekinetic Updates 06/30/2014 01:13 PM CDT
>Plus at the speeds TKT is supposed to be launching things (often in excess of 100mph) innocuous things can start punching holes in concrete.

Per Mythbusters...

MYTH:
A piece of straw can penetrate all the way through a palm tree if propelled by hurricane-force winds.

RESULT: BUSTED
Propelling a piece of straw at a palm tree at a distance of 50cm at 320mph (the world record for recorded wind speed at ground level), the straw only managed to penetrate the tree a quarter of an inch. Even firing at the tree while it was bent (to increase the size of the pores in the surface of the tree) at point blank range added no additional distance into the tree.

HOWEVER:
A piece of reed was tested as the sturdiest organic object that might be mistaken for a piece of straw. At both ranges, the reed only managed to go about two inches into the tree.

FURTHERMORE!:
Additionally, Jamie tried a piece of piano wire, and at 50 cm, it flew not only through the tree but through a sheet of plywood on the wall behind it, partially embedding itself into the cement wall.

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode61

I would say your myth is 'Plausible' given the piano wire experiment. That is, if piano wire exists in game, and the TKT is being cast at 320mph, and at point blank range (50cm or 19.685 inches). Myself, I usually do my fighting at an avg of 20 inches from my adversary. Like ninjas. Shorter sword gets me in under the samurai's longer, cumbersome katana. I never fail. </3 samurai.

C'MON KEEEID WE GOIN' TO THE COPA!
Re: Telekinetic Updates 06/30/2014 01:23 PM CDT
Probably asking for too much here, but would it be possible to make objects that don't already have damage stats be normalized to some very low baseline, and then to base tkt damage on weapon stats? Such that "perfect" piercing/impact would do full damage, or something along those lines? It might also be a good idea to have a command that will allow you to designate an object as the one to use for the spell?

I don't think it should really be a priority to develop, but dust bunnies being just as damaging as throwing knives is pretty weird. Normalized as is works as a great band-aid, but I'd hate to see it as a long-term solution. TKT/TKS just seem relatively difficult to develop without normalizing everything, but I still don't see how normalizing everything is the ideal. It's good that it'll be a bit more predictable/useful now at least.

Sorry if my thought pattern seems a little convoluted. I've been awake for too long now. Stepping away after this post. :)
Re: Telekinetic Updates 06/30/2014 01:25 PM CDT
<That is, if piano wire exists in game,

I actually used to love using embroidery needles with TKT back when I played a moonie. Stick a needle in my eye!
Re: Telekinetic Updates 06/30/2014 01:40 PM CDT
>I don't think it should really be a priority to develop, but dust bunnies being just as damaging as throwing knives is pretty weird. Normalized as is works as a great band-aid, but I'd hate to see it as a long-term solution.

This is perhaps one of the most stupid requests I've ever seen in DR. You're playing a game with talking anthropomorphic cats who cast instant matter transportation spells across continental distances, while toddlers bring the dead back to life, and werewolves throw giant exploding fireballs which par off into smaller fireballs at giant wolf-things which shoot lightning, and giant bipedal snakes create zombies and animate mud.

Rocks moving at speeds fast enough to do as much damage as a knife is tame.

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: Telekinetic Updates 06/30/2014 01:48 PM CDT
>>I still don't see how normalizing everything is the ideal.

Normalizing tkt's damage should be the ideal so it can fit with the rest of the TM spells in the game.

>>base tkt damage on weapon stats? Such that "perfect" piercing/impact would do full damage, or something along those lines?

It should be mana capped for full damage; No skirting around it by finding the "perfect" item.
Re: Telekinetic Updates 06/30/2014 02:38 PM CDT
For anyone who's confused: TKT has worked this way since 3.0 came out (As far as damage is concerned).

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Telekinetic Updates 06/30/2014 07:25 PM CDT
>>Probably asking for too much here, but would it be possible to make objects that don't already have damage stats be normalized to some very low baseline, and then to base tkt damage on weapon stats? Such that "perfect" piercing/impact would do full damage, or something along those lines? It might also be a good idea to have a command that will allow you to designate an object as the one to use for the spell?

Seriously? Just go away.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Telekinetic Updates 06/30/2014 07:33 PM CDT
thanks for updating these spells.
Re: Telekinetic Updates 06/30/2014 09:27 PM CDT
Changes to TKT and TKS sound pretty sweet, is there any way for this spell to work with "piles" so i don't have to separate rocks out of collected piles for the spell to use them?

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.
AIM:DamianDR
Re: Telekinetic Updates 06/30/2014 11:22 PM CDT
I noticed a substantial improvement in TKT at high mana. Thank you for that. Is multi-shot supposed to be more accurate and less powerful than single shot, or vice versa?

I have not noticed a major improvement in the damage from TKS but I haven't had time to check high mana casts yet, and fuligin moths take a severe beating from my TM normally (I've never managed to kill one with TKS before), so I'll have to see how higher mana does. If it's consistent with TKT, the higher mana makes a substantial difference.

Thank you for working on these.
Re: Telekinetic Updates 06/30/2014 11:56 PM CDT
Odd.

Damage shouldn't really have changed with these updates.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Telekinetic Updates 07/01/2014 12:21 AM CDT
Hmm, it's definitely noticeable with TKT for me compared to when I last really tried TKT at-level hunting right after the 3.1 rollover. I could never kill a moth with TKT or TKS before. I tried with 15 straight full 100 mana casts when we first rolled over, and moths were just fine. I think moths actually got a stat tweak since then, and there was that bleeding change? Maybe that's all I'm seeing. I don't know, I just know it is possible to eventually kill a moth with massive mana TKT and it wasn't the last time I tried.
Re: Telekinetic Updates 07/01/2014 04:37 AM CDT
Y'all are gonna hate me but...

> [tm_spam]: cast

You gesture at a swamp troll.
Your cambrinth armband emits a loud snap as it discharges all its power to aid your spell.
A wee crimson sliver suddenly swings from orbiting around your head and zips toward a swamp troll!
It manages to get out of the way!
A wee crimson sliver suddenly swings from orbiting around your head and zips toward a swamp troll!
The crimson sliver lands a strong (7/23) hit to its neck!

Roundtime: 1 sec.

> tap sliver

You tap a wee crimson sliver on the ground.

There was no, "The crimson sliver explodes into even tinier multicoloured fragments and vanishes!" after that hit. My script ran for 549 seconds and created two ground slivers. Trying to find where the other was created to post that message as well.
Re: Telekinetic Updates 07/01/2014 04:42 AM CDT
Found it:

> [tm_spam]: cast

You gesture at a swamp troll.
Your cambrinth armband emits a loud snap as it discharges all its power to aid your spell.
It manages to get out of the way!
The crimson sliver lands a light (2/23) hit to its back!

Roundtime: 1 sec.

In both cases it appears to be when the first sliver missed, but the second hit. These were also the only two times during the 10 minutes that the first hit missed and the second hit. Most of the casts were two hits and none of those created slivers. There were two casts where the first hit and the second missed and neither of those resulted in slivers. There were also 3 casts with 3 hits, none of which resulted in slivers.

My guess is that it occurs when a hit follows a miss during the same cast.