Teleologic corruption and you 05/25/2014 03:21 PM CDT
Pretty sure anyone who reads the moon mage forums reads the abilities, skills and magic forums, but just in case...

(minor messaging/bug fixes to a few of our spells: wd, moonblade, tv..)

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Abilities,%20Skills%20and%20Magic/Game%20Master%20and%20Official%20Announcements/view/390

Tweaked Sorcerous Corruption for Moon Mages. It can now decay to nothing instead of nearly nothing and to account for that I adjusted the curve so decay is somewhat slower, particularly at lower levels of corruption.
-Raesh

So now anyone who wanted to experiment (or heavily use) teleo can do it without permanent consequences. Unless you count risk to multiple planes of existence and the increased ire of Pelag ai Aldam along with just about everything that exists in the plane of probability; consequences. Ha ha.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Teleologic corruption and you 05/28/2014 10:22 PM CDT
Oh the crowds rejoice!
Re: Teleologic corruption and you 05/29/2014 02:55 AM CDT
<<Tweaked Sorcerous Corruption for Moon Mages. It can now decay to nothing instead of nearly nothing and to account for that I adjusted the curve so decay is somewhat slower, particularly at lower levels of corruption.
-Raesh

Just out of curiosity... how slow are we talking here? I'm debating testing out some of the teleo spells while we have them on preview, but I don't want to be stuck with months and months worth of corruption. I don't engage in PvP or RP'd conflict at all, so I doubt I'll be choosing the spells because of the PvP/RP baggage that comes casting them. A
lengthy corruption phase would preclude any testing for the same reasons.
Re: Teleologic corruption and you 05/29/2014 08:34 AM CDT
It's the same at high levels. Low to mid levels will be roughly half the speed as before (It depends on exactly where you are in the curve, decay is not linear).

You're not looking at a scale of months at any rate and much like necromancers there is only so much you can drain off in a given day.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Teleologic corruption and you 05/30/2014 03:53 AM CDT
<<You're not looking at a scale of months at any rate and much like necromancers there is only so much you can drain off in a given day.

Thanks. A scale measured in days is a manageable trade-off for some testing.
Re: Teleologic corruption and you 05/30/2014 07:18 AM CDT
I don't think he said it was a few days as your post suggests, just not months. There's some middle ground in there.

For my part, I've noticed no decay from a low-medium corruption point over the past five days or so.
Re: Teleologic corruption and you 05/30/2014 07:56 AM CDT
<<I don't think he said it was a few days as your post suggests, just not months. There's some middle ground in there.

I never said a few days.
Re: Teleologic corruption and you 05/30/2014 09:15 AM CDT
If it was more than a few, wouldn't you have used weeks?

I can't wait until you and Pureblade disagree on something.
Re: Teleologic corruption and you 05/30/2014 09:30 AM CDT
>>I can't wait until you and Pureblade disagree on something.

Now look what you did, you said my name.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Teleologic corruption and you 05/30/2014 09:42 AM CDT
<<If it was more than a few, wouldn't you have used weeks?

I said a scale of days. I.e. rather than taking x months to move to the next level of corruption it takes x days to move to the next level. You're the one who read 'a few days' into that.

<<I can't wait until you and Pureblade disagree on something.

It has happened many times before. It's not as exciting as you think.
Re: Teleologic corruption and you 05/30/2014 10:31 AM CDT
What happens if you look into a mirror and say "Pureblade" three times?

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Teleologic corruption and you 05/30/2014 12:40 PM CDT

<<What happens if you look into a mirror and say "Pureblade" three times?>>

Gonif comes out and chokes you to death.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Teleologic corruption and you 05/30/2014 01:05 PM CDT
>>What happens if you look into a mirror and say "Pureblade" three times?

I roll a Moon Mage and start finding weird nonsensical bugs within the Astrology system.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Teleologic corruption and you 05/30/2014 04:53 PM CDT
>I roll a Moon Mage and start finding weird nonsensical bugs within the Astrology system.

In moon mage code, those are features.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Teleologic corruption and you 05/30/2014 05:20 PM CDT
>>In moon mage code, those are features.

You say that now, but I'll somehow start causing night sun effects in Prime by using the Ways in Plat.

Re: Teleologic corruption and you 07/15/2014 05:09 PM CDT
Just as an update, today was the first day that I finally obtained zero sorcerous corruption since casting TF on the day preview ended. I'm not sure exactly where in the range I left off. It appears the last phase is very short.

Time spent at each level:
20 days - A fragment of the prophecy eludes your Sorcerous connection.
2 days - While only a trace of prophecy eludes you, you worry that your connection will never be entirely free of Sorcery.
Re: Teleologic corruption and you 07/15/2014 10:41 PM CDT
Yeah, it's possible I should adjust those tiers. The last tier is basically the last 1% you use to never bleed off so mathematically I can't make it very long without adding in some extra hoops that I don't really care to deal with and you're already spending plenty of time in the tier right before it.

-Raesh

Re: Teleologic corruption and you 07/16/2014 03:25 AM CDT
Quick suggestion:

Since sorcery is more of a concrete mechanic these days, is it possible to adjust the messaging to indicate that this corruption is due to your telelogic sorcery rather than just sorcery? Most of us know it's specifically from casting the four Teleologic spells, but there's no actual in-game messaging other than this passive message to indicate this, and to the unaware it could easily seem like all sorcery causes this type of corruption. Or probably a better suggestion... have the teleologic spells mention that your connection to prophecy is reduced when you cast them, similar to how casting plain old sorcery now messages that something bad is being done.
Re: Teleologic corruption and you 07/16/2014 03:47 AM CDT
Is there a particular place you feel the messaging is misleading?

-Raesh

Re: Teleologic corruption and you 07/16/2014 04:28 AM CDT
Just the part that says sorcery without specifying what type.

E.g. While only a trace of prophecy eludes you, you worry that your connection will never be entirely free of Sorcery.

Putting aside the capital-S sorcery distinction which has been said is only an OOC (and confusing) distinction, that messaging could be understood to be caused and perpetuated by casting Fireball for someone not in the know, especially since the messaging for sorcerous spell casting is now:

> prep mal 10
You focus your sense of touch on the energies in the air while chanting the mantra for the Malediction spell. Casting rationality aside, you prepare to yoke unseen mana streams to fuel your sorcery.

> cast
Flickering shadows tear away from your fingertips, shuddering through the air toward the ship's rat!
Tendrils of malevolent darkness swarm around the ship's rat, intertwining with one another into a constricting cage. A mild curse settles over it, cemented by your will.

Emotional pain and exhaustion lingers in your mind, even after you regain rational control.
Roundtime: 2 sec.

To make my suggestion more specific, I imagine keeping the prediction messages the same and having a Teleologic cast message something like below. It will help to make it clearer that casting teleologic sorcery is what is causing the corruption, and not Fireball or Malediction, etc.:

> prep tf 15
You focus your sense of touch on the energies in the air while chanting the mantra for the Tangled Fate spell. Casting rationality aside, you prepare to yoke unseen mana streams to fuel your sorcery.

>cast
You gesture.
All the sounds around you seem to retreat down a distant tunnel, leaving the area quiet except for a single, ear-splitting tone that is centered around you.
A surge of luck washes over you, reorienting your position toward fate. New concepts and images bubble up from your unconscious, suggesting that your immediate destiny is dire.

Emotional pain and exhaustion lingers in your mind, even after you regain rational control.
You sense your forceful manipulation of the strands of fate weaken your prophetic connection.
Roundtime: 1 sec.
Re: Teleologic corruption and you 07/16/2014 05:49 AM CDT
>>Putting aside the capital-S sorcery distinction which has been said is only an OOC (and confusing) distinction

It wasn't really OOC so much as not really used IC (unless it is used in places and we forgot. That's possible). In this case the capitalization is still proper since Teleologic Sorcery is a proper name and "Sorcery" is just a shortened form of that.

I'm also okay with the way it currently reads since it's basically saying "Your Sorcery", and if you haven't been dealing in Teleologic flavor you aren't going to see the messages. You know what you've done (It also reads poorly if you try and kludge the word Teleologic in there).

All that said, you've inspired me to make a small update to Perceive Teleologic Sorcery since I wrote that utility before corruption existed. It's live now (After Persida stamped out my egregious typos).

-Raesh

Re: Teleologic corruption and you 07/16/2014 05:55 AM CDT
<<All that said, you've inspired me to make a small update to Perceive Teleologic Sorcery since I wrote that utility before corruption existed. It's live now (After Persida stamped out my egregious typos).

I'm actually scared to type PERCEIVE TELEOLOGIC SORCERY. Seriously.
Re: Teleologic corruption and you 07/16/2014 05:57 AM CDT
<<I'm actually scared to type PERCEIVE TELEOLOGIC SORCERY. Seriously.

Oh... that's all? I was imagining all sorts of arcane messaging and explosions lol.
Re: Teleologic corruption and you 07/16/2014 05:59 AM CDT
All I'm getting by the way is mana streams. Is it supposed to message about corruption now? I did gain a bit more at the expense of this thread.
Re: Teleologic corruption and you 07/16/2014 06:02 AM CDT
Nevermind. It appears the cast I did earlier to get messaging either didn't cause corruption, or already faded.

You reach out with your senses and see pale (7/21) streams of cold, white Lunar mana available to serve as the foundation for Teleologic Sorcery.
Traces of a prior Sorcery still cling to your essence though even these should fade within 6 minutes. In addition your prophetic connection feels strong and healthy, though you can sense the touch of Sorcery lurking within. Even this gentle psychic examination of it leaves you feeling somewhat queasy.

Very nice! Thanks!
Re: Teleologic corruption and you 07/16/2014 01:02 PM CDT
Dear lord, I saw 12 posts in this folder and thought something happened.
Re: Teleologic corruption and you 07/16/2014 01:04 PM CDT
But it did! It's just hiding from you!

-Raesh