G'nar Peth Top Tier Title 05/10/2018 10:04 PM CDT
I noticed no one had ever posted the top tier G'nar Peth title on elanthipedia, so I updated it. For anyone interested, it's:

Vessel

I understand the whole occult channeling idea, but to me it's not one of the more sparkling titles. A fellow female moon mage I talked to about it felt it could even be misinterpreted as an unflattering title for females. Either way, I was hoping it could be changed to something with a little more snap. I was thinking of:

Dark Seer

To me this fits in well with the Blind (dark) Prophet (seer) concept.

I'm not sure who to pose this idea to, Armifer or Javac or Grejuva? Is there any chance we could change this title?

~ Vanxa

You see Grazhir cracking open in one sharp movement.
The World Dragon emerges, roaring soundlessly.
It moves to sear Katamba to a lifeless black.
You see the night sky, filled with stars.
Re: G'nar Peth Top Tier Title 05/17/2018 09:51 PM CDT
I definitely agree with you. The top tier Fortune's Path title is pretty awesome. So I think the G'nar Peth's need some love. With that said, the more I read, the more I am jealous of your G'nar Peth heritage.
Re: G'nar Peth Top Tier Title 05/19/2018 01:12 AM CDT
I think each of the sects has something interesting to say about itself.

I do like G'nar Peth lore, but honestly, going years without my sect tool has been disillusioning. When Destiny Cipher was released, it felt like a stopgap and gave some of us a sinking feeling. I'm not blaming Raesh. I know he was busy RL and as a GM, and sect tools are distinctly minor since they affect so few players. The recent GM focus on group endeavors only underscores that. But it had its effect nonetheless.

I'm at the point where I wish I'd chosen the Progeny of Tezirah. The mystical occult lore of G'nar Peth is definitely appealing but so is being a member of a powerful matriarchy of alpha females in a shadowy secret society. It was a tossup at the time, but at least I would have my sect tool. Some of their titles are pretty nice as well.

Raesh did say that when sects were rewritten he would likely allow a rechoosing of sect, but if there's no time for a couple of tools and a few titles, the odds of getting sects rewritten doesn't look good. And the plans of past GMs don't always figure into current projects anyway.

>>So I think the G'nar Peth's need some love.

Absolutely. The objection my friend and I have against Vessel is that in fantasy the term is often used for a woman who is (usually) forced to mate with some demonic creature in order to carry and birth a cursed child who will spread universal evil. The woman is often disposed of afterwards. There are variations, but it's a lot of negative, even offensive, connotations for females. I'm sure whoever set the title wasn't thinking that way.

>The top tier Fortune's Path title is pretty awesome.

I didn't see it on elanthipedia, but I'd be interested in knowing what it is.

~ Vanxa

Re: G'nar Peth Top Tier Title 05/21/2018 12:33 AM CDT
>Dark Seer

Not sure how I missed this before, but for a female version: Dark Seeress would be in order. (Insert Raesh here making a joke about Dark Sibyl)

Sibyl is a fine word, but the fact that it's one of the ways to spell a woman's name also makes it a bit awkward:

Sibyl Vanxa just arrived.

To me, instead of a title this sounds like a double name, such as:

Betty Lou just arrived.

The title "Seeress" does exist in DR. The house west of the bank belongs to Menevia the Seeress:

[Menevia the Seeress, Seance Parlor]
In a velvet robe punctuated with beetle-wing spangles, Menevia the Blind Seeress holds forth, seated at a round table. She does not rise to greet you. Querents huddle around her, awaiting answers on what the future holds. Several cowled figures stand by a trelium display case, pointing at talismans, orbs and other trinkets, debating their virtues and price. You also see a sequined velvet curtain.
Obvious exits: up, out.

~ Vanxa

Re: G'nar Peth Top Tier Title 05/22/2018 12:03 AM CDT
Just to give my two cents, I have no problem with the title Seeress being included for females, but I'd also want to see the title Seer remain for females as it's a gender-neutral word.

- Navesi
Re: G'nar Peth Top Tier Title 11/17/2018 06:53 PM CST
I'm fairly sure the Vessel title is due to their allowing themselves to be possessed by Umbramagus/i. Maybe G'nar Peth. Following the teachings might just be a metaphysical and physical preparation in accepting the truth found in the Garden. Regardless of whether or not that's the case, they are Keepers of the the secret and part of Keeping that might require embodying the horrible truths of G'nar Peth, the self-actualization of why there's a G'nar Peth at all and why were they so desperate to blind themselves in such perverse mutilation while concealing the past. And really, were they victims of something they were unfamiliar with?

Maybe they're more closely associated to the Obelisk Builders than we think. Maybe they're not even human as we know it. Maybe they were displaced out of time and found their ability to manipulate magic and mana as they understood it to be against the current planar law and so rejected the notion of being an observer it. Break the mind just enough, deform the self-image and blind reality to the presence of their will.

Maybe Tiv is/was G'nar Peth; who knows if he was actually in the Grey Expanse! :D

Really, it's a gnarled path that the Pethians choose to walk if they decide to go deep into their hidden lore. Sticking with just being a 'Prophet' can be an IC choice to reject the burden the Masters carry.

--

If you get caught there's no going back, it's a man trap.
The jaws of his baby tightly snap, it's a man trap.

He's old and wicked and he hates the world, he's wicked as sin, his mind is gnarled.
He's got plenty but he doesn't care, and to ask for help they wouldn't dare.