Astral travel in light of the multitude of fast travel options for everyone 01/05/2020 12:52 PM CST
Jump jewelry (both limited use as well as unlimited use), teleport rings for Esate Holders, teleport enchanted items of various and multiple types including teleportation tattoos for NMUs, mary poppins umbrellas and soon urchin guide contracts are all much faster than Moon Mage fast travel via the Astral Plane and don't share it's dangers. I'm probably even forgetting another couple of fast travel widgets.

In light of this could we get the Perceive command roundtime reduced down to zero (or at least trainable down to zero) while in the Astral Plane? Even with a zero RT perceive for direction it would still be more dangerous and much slower than the above.

Documentation is a love letter you write to your future self.
Re: Astral travel in light of the multitude of fast travel options for everyone 01/05/2020 04:53 PM CST
Gotta say I continue to grow sad seeing all of the abilities that have been a hallmark of the guild being given away and turned into perks and items.
Re: Astral travel in light of the multitude of fast travel options for everyone 01/05/2020 07:19 PM CST
Don't forget mundane travel. Caelumia used to talk about losing (I believe it was Theren to Shard) races to Rangers. Once one can climb past the gondola, it's possible to get from the Leth side of the river to Boar Clan in less than three minutes. If the start was on the Crossing side, it still wouldn't take much longer.

We need to increase the value of the currently devalued astral plane. I posted long ago there could be other reasons to go there besides travel. An obvious connection would be something to do with sigils and enchanting or even sorcery. Any quests in the astral plane would require more time than we can actually do right now, so there would need to be adjustments.

There are possible high level quests (in the astral plane?) to achieve other Moon Mage travel boosting. The following random ideas could make a tiered ability. But they are really only IC duration increases and not new, trailblazing ideas:

- At moonset, your moonbeam autoswitches to another moon that is still up.

- When you cast a moonbeam, it starts a 3-hour window from that moment. (that won't end when the moon sets)

- At moonset, a 3-hour extension is triggered on the same moonbeam at that moment.

- A way to cast on a set moon.

There could also be a way to create a personal nodal point that can be set wherever and act as a shard of Grazhir. This could be a Moon Mage only enchantment. This sounds dramatic, but it's not. The current shards are already in convenient and useful locations, so it's not like there's a ton of highly desirable places beyond the reach of astral travel right now. When Raesh surveyed Moon Mages long ago, the location chosen for a new shard was Hara'jaal. But seriously, how many players are desperate to get to Hara'jaal? So the top choice is some out-of-the-way spot where most players never have a reason to go.

Perhaps better would be a 150 circle Moon Mage ability to go from any room to any room regardless of shards or moons. Everyone can already do that now through mundane travel, so it's not really that big a deal, but a way for Moon Mages to do it quicker, if not instantaneously, would be nice. It would be an extension on the 100 circle ability. But I'm guessing there would be system limits on something like that.

I agree with you on RT. I've always thought the perception time in the astral plane should go below 5 seconds with enough skill, although honestly, we need better compensation.

Special traveling is lost for Moon Mages, and my brief ideas above are just variations on existing themes. What we need is a new ability to further define our guild. And we can't put it all on the GMs, who already have their hands full. We need to come up with ideas ourselves.

Sorry for slightly expanding the scope of your post, OP.

~ Vanxa

You see Grazhir cracking open in one sharp movement.
The World Dragon emerges, roaring soundlessly.
It moves to sear Katamba to a lifeless black.
You see the night sky, filled with stars.
Re: Astral travel in light of the multitude of fast travel options for everyone 01/05/2020 08:27 PM CST

I've always wanted more in the astral plane. An astral hunting area perhaps? Or perhaps places we could explore or visit. That would be nice.
Re: Astral travel in light of the multitude of fast travel options for everyone 01/06/2020 08:50 PM CST

> Gotta say I continue to grow sad seeing all of the abilities that have been a hallmark of the guild being given away and turned into perks and items.

Like pets, hunt, cyclics, extra vault space, passive mana regeneration, auto-hiding, protect coin, guild-only buffs (wands), wound healing bandages, and the like. All guilds can almost all do all things for the right amount of money.