Moon Mage Sect Changes 08/16/2019 09:15 PM CDT

Hi, All:

I was speaking with a GM about a possible sect change. The mentioned that it was not possible now, but they suggested that I take it to the forums to see if it was a subject worth looking into.

My character went through a series of RP events that led me to believe that he should not only leave the sect that he is in, but also be drawn to a different sect. Since events like this can happen, I think it would be good for characters to be able to switch, but I also understand that we wouldn't want people switching sects willy nilly. So, who thinks switching sects seems like a smart option, and if so, what should go into it? A limited number of changes ever? I limit number per time period? Takes Simu coins? Can only be done at a special NPC at events? What does everyone think?!?

Thanks,
Voksrig
Re: Moon Mage Sect Changes 08/16/2019 10:29 PM CDT
Personally I like this idea, limited change, maybe to an npc that shows up once per year at HE or every other year at GF. Could cost IG coin (but not outrageous like 10,000 plat), I'd suggest simucoin but I'm loathe to turn this into a RL thing. Just my HO. :)
Re: Moon Mage Sect Changes 08/17/2019 01:23 AM CDT
I'm more than happy with my sect but I want to see this happen 100%. I also do not want this to be connected to festivals or MTX or rl $. Initially I wanted this to be punishing but what's the point of that in the end? It probably should be something you can change once a rl year like a holy weapon and just handwave the lore in the interest of playability. It should be accessible via a 24/7 available NPC. Many sected Moon Mages choose a sect that doesn't match how they RP their MM anyway (either through ignorance of the sects or evolution of their character).

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Moon Mage Sect Changes 08/17/2019 07:50 AM CDT

Exactly. I wouldn't mind the "you're stuck in it" if it wasn't SO tied into how you RP your character, so any characters who go through changes (which is a good thing in RP IMO), kinda get put in a sticky situation.
Re: Moon Mage Sect Changes 08/17/2019 10:20 AM CDT
Skaen,
Thats why I really didnt wanrt to suggest trying it into RL money for simucoins, but I did want to mention it since it was originally posted.

As for being at HE, simple, put it at the entrance that everyone can access. Maybe add a tent so you're not inundated with all the folks standing there doing things. Least with the spell casting there & no combat thats cut down a lot of scroll.
This way no one has to pay for a MT that they dont want too, its easily accessible to all as they wont have to travel to say Dirge to see the monk that helps you rechoose your sect (just an idea for an example, not saying thats whats gonna happen). If my mage is in Hib, or Aesry they wont have to travel back to do it.

Guildfest is not a MT, I'm not sure why folks are calling it one but anyways. GF is now every 2 RL yrs, I figure thats a good place to have it happen as 2 rl years is "punishment" enough. And this way no one is willy nilly changing it, keeping it closer to the original vision of a sect choice being a lifetime choice.
I'm not sure how to retcon the choice of a lifetime, but I do agree that some folks (like myself) choose certain sects & either outgrew them, had decided to go in a different way of RPing their mage, or something else.

So, if a poll was taken, yes I'd rather have the choice of being able to rechoose my mages sect than rerolling him (even if he isnt that high of a circle).
Re: Moon Mage Sect Changes 08/17/2019 04:02 PM CDT
<<Guildfest is not a MT

F2P players cannot access it without paying, so it has some level of microtransaction to it.
Re: Moon Mage Sect Changes 08/17/2019 06:26 PM CDT
>>LCAMP2: F2P players cannot access it without paying, so it has some level of microtransaction to it.

F2P players can access Guildfest via the visa system, which is free (unlike passports from the SimuCoin Store).

GM Cordulia
Re: Moon Mage Sect Changes 08/18/2019 04:20 PM CDT

Thanks for watching and chiming in!!!
Re: Moon Mage Sect Changes 08/18/2019 08:20 PM CDT
I think Moon Mages should be able to change sects because what real-world affiliation group doesn't have some way to get kicked out? If the Sects are there to provide meaningful RP distinctions for your character, why wouldn't that character be able to change as their life changes? Ideally, we're all role-playing our characters as interesting, complex, dynamic characters who go through trials and traumas- why wouldn't their affiliation change over the course of their life?

I don't think it should be as simple as a paid token from the store, or a vendor at a fest; I'd like to see it be a quest, perhaps something annoying your character has to go through in order to "earn" being snubbed by their sect, enabling them to join another. For ease of development, it could be one quest to get kicked out of all sects. To enhance the RP-ability of it, there could be a sort of cooldown timer after the quest, where no sect will accept you for a month after. You've disgraced yourself and need to let the rumors die down.
Re: Moon Mage Sect Changes 08/18/2019 09:50 PM CDT
Hmm, this is a neat idea IMHO. Sort of similar to the shock quest for empaths.

And the one month? RL or IG? Just curious, I'd say RL but I'm mean too LOL
Re: Moon Mage Sect Changes 08/18/2019 10:00 PM CDT
I like the idea. If it were up to me, I'd make it so you have to talk to the sect leader and ask about leaving, and they basically mindwipe you to keep their secrets.

Back when I could afford to play subscribed charactes, I became a Tezerite. Because my friend was one. Knowing what I know now about sorcery and the morals of my old character... if I got a chance to play them again, I'd want out of that sect, I think. I would mostly miss the neat little abilities.

The alternative, which would be most costly in GM time, would be to have some sect RP going where people who don't like their choice would at least get to sell out. Secrets and spying, the good old stuff. Then you'd get kicked out for betraying the sect!
Re: Moon Mage Sect Changes 08/20/2019 10:20 AM CDT

Great Ideas! A quest with a month long time limit is a great way to implement this, IMO
Re: Moon Mage Sect Changes 08/21/2019 08:23 PM CDT
I agree that sect changes should be possible. There's no reason RP can't cause a desire to change over time, and I know of at least one sect where uncovering the mysteries behind it might drive away some interested characters.

Make it once every six months or RL year. That should be plenty of time.

- Navesi

The First Land Herald -- Zoluren's newspaper. https://elanthipedia.play.net/The_First_Land_Herald
Re: Moon Mage Sect Changes 08/22/2019 10:34 PM CDT
I don't see a reason why you shouldn't be able to accomplish this. Given the current state of things especially, why not?
Re: Moon Mage Sect Changes 08/23/2019 11:58 AM CDT

I'd 100% support this. If it encourages roleplay, and has valid reasons to be an option, I think it should be considered
Re: Moon Mage Sect Changes 08/27/2019 08:35 AM CDT

While pouring through some of the lore yesterday, I also noted that the in game history for Tiv was that he was born a member of the nomads, but switched and became a member of the Monks of the Crystal Hand, so there is in game lore that suggests that such changes are possible! :)
Re: Moon Mage Sect Changes 08/27/2019 05:36 PM CDT
He was born to one of the nomadic tribes on the Arid Steppe; not born as a member into the Nomads of the Arid Steppe sect. There are many non-moon mage/shaman professions within the tribes. If his tribe's shaman had not died during his youth it's likely he would have joined the Nomad sect but as it was Tiv ran into a Monk of the Crystal Hand and learned his arts through that sect.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Profiles_in_Magic,_Volume_17_(book)

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Category:Nomads_of_the_Arid_Steppe#Armifer_Lore

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Moon Mage Sect Changes 08/27/2019 08:47 PM CDT

Interesting point of view. To me, being a member of the tribe and being a member of the sect would be the same thing. I don't see a line between them and don't recall reading anything that suggested otherwise (feel free to correct me if I missed something). Either would just state that they are a member of the nomad tribes, would they not?

However, I can see your point of view that in order to be a member of the sect you would need to be a member of the moon mage guild, which not all member of the tribes would be. I'll poke around some more and see what I can find!
Re: Moon Mage Sect Changes 08/27/2019 09:38 PM CDT
<<To me, being a member of the tribe and being a member of the sect would be the same thing.

It's not though. The arid steppe is location where the various nomad tribes live. They are mostly warriors, hunters and gatherers who are not gifted with magic, lunar or otherwise. Some of them are, however, and includes elementalists, seers, and so on. The shamans of these tribes are the seers and it is from their ranks that the moon mage guild Nomads came from. The entire first section of the previously linked official lore on the nomad tribes is quite clear about this.
Re: Moon Mage Sect Changes 08/28/2019 11:42 AM CDT

I'll have to reread it, but that wasn't how I recall taking that information. I suppose they should have called the people there "nomads of the arid steppe" and the sect "shamans of the arid steppe" to make it more clear :)

Anyhow, I don't want to derail the thread on that subject, but I'm happy to delve into that if you wanted to start another one :)