Perceive Corruption 01/29/2019 02:11 PM CST
Would it be possible to allow moon mages to perceive the corruption on moon mages who have used Teleologic sorcery?

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Perceive Corruption 01/31/2019 10:25 AM CST
I don’t like this idea simply because I think it would turn into a way to harrass players who want to use magic that is already not used by the strong majority of moon mages. And while the guild has had a tradition of don’t ask, don’t tell, I think this would open up a moon mage inquisition.
Re: Perceive Corruption 02/02/2019 04:51 PM CST
>>I don’t like this idea simply because I think it would turn into a way to harrass players

There are plenty of systems in place already that can be used to harass players but also have other uses which they were put in place for. Just because of the fear of what some people might or might not do isn't a valid reason to limit Role Play options. Also saying an inquisition is inevitable because of the option is a bit of a stretch. Or even assuming it would have to be a bad thing.

I think there should be a degree of role play involved with using Teleologic Sorcery for both sides of the fence. And not something fledgling mages pick up the moment they are able to cast. Being able to perceive the corruption on a mage seems reasonable enough to warrant a skill check based on Astro and probably also require having Aura Sight on. It should only be noticeable on the most grievous offenders as having a small amount should be easy enough to hide.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Perceive Corruption 02/02/2019 07:26 PM CST
>> It should only be noticeable on the most grievous offenders as having a small amount should be easy enough to hide.

I was with you, for the most part, until you said "grievous offenders," which makes me think the mechanic would likely be used to harass players.

It is easy to rp pro and anti-teleologic sorcery without the mechanic you propose. What is more, you already have a mechanic to tell whether someone is casting teleologic sorcery spells: spell recognition. In addition, not being able to prove one's "guilt" of using teleologic sorcery by perceiving the sorcery clinging to the mage will make for better rp--not definitely knowing either way creates opportunity for dialogue and interaction. Finally, not having the mechanic you propose would allow those who are curious about teleologic sorcery to pursue it and learn more about it without fear of retribution or stigmatization.
Re: Perceive Corruption 02/04/2019 10:47 PM CST
>>I was with you, for the most part, until you said "grievous offenders," which makes me think the mechanic would likely be used to harass players.

Paranoia at its finest. Its a general term used when dealing with breaking the law. And i'm glad you also pointed out those same players who are waiting to harass sorcerers could easily perceive spells on players or follow them into a hunt to watch them cast with spell recognition already if they were so inclined.

Having the option for RP makes a lot of sense and helps it fit in with something that should be part of sane persons scruples.

>>Finally, not having the mechanic you propose would allow those who are curious about teleologic sorcery to pursue it and learn more about it without fear of retribution or stigmatization.

Sorcery isn't nice. From a RP standpoint it is something that should come with a fear of retribution. Even from a guild don't ask and don't tell standpoint it sin't good for business to go around proclaiming you are a Telelogic Sorcerer. In most corrupt organizations that is enough to get you killed by the Hierarchy.

Furthermore Sorcery in general is not to be treated lightly. Any mechanics in game to make it more respected and give it a feel of Risk/Reward are good things. In fact the first time I ever saw Kssarh Speak it was actually when he walked down to the Urn to Kill a moon mage named Spookey who had just cast an old Sorcery spell.

I think alot of the focus on what Sorcery is has been diluted and watered down. Sadly its something mages treat as more of a joke than a real danger. I don't expect anyone to stop training sorcery just for the implications of using spell scrolls. But Teleologic and other Corruption causing sorcery should be treated with more respect just to ensure integrity to the lore of what it is. Even if that is merely fear of knowing you will be walking around marked at the highest levels of corruption.

Re: Perceive Corruption **NUDGE** 02/05/2019 09:27 AM CST
Please cut down on the snark and let's keep this constructive conversation going. Thank you.

Iristi
DragonRealms Board Monitor

Any questions or comments, please contact me at MOD-Iristi@play.net or Senior Board Monitor Helje at DR-Helje@play.net.