Cantrips can't? 09/20/2013 11:57 PM CDT
so i went out to learn the scorch cantrip, since i'm just starting to play with sigil scrolls to learn some astrology (yes i know they're basically useless, not the point) and i wanted to be able to lable them.. so i did some digging, and learned the location of the scorch cantrip. however, after going through the process to reach it, i couldn't learn scorch. skills and stats bellow, which seem to be more than enough based on the requirements i saw.

is this a case of 'spells are on preview, you don't really KNOW burn, you can just use it' and thats why i can't get scorch?

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate Fraction
Lunar Magic: 192 97% dabbling (1/34) Attunement: 170 19% dabbling (1/34)
Arcana: 160 34% clear (0/34) Targeted Magic: 106 14% clear (0/34)
Augmentation: 137 66% clear (0/34) Debilitation: 103 49% clear (0/34)
Utility: 176 78% absorbing (15/34) Warding: 112 78% clear (0/34)
Sorcery: 29 03% clear (0/34) Astrology: 136 01% clear (0/34)

Strength : 24 Reflex : 32
Agility : 22 Charisma : 22
Discipline : 22 Wisdom : 22
Intelligence : 22 Stamina : 23

Concentration : 122 Max : 122

>The shadowling exclaims, "Mana neeto!"
Re: Cantrips can't? 09/21/2013 12:10 AM CDT
I'm in the same boat you are. We don't actually know the spell so we can't get the cantrip. The researcher that teaches the fling cantrip flat tells you that you don't know the spell that teaches you the basics.

Would be awesome if this got fixed but it's a minor thing I guess.
Re: Cantrips can't? 09/21/2013 06:39 AM CDT
Yeah, this is another case of the spell preview going on way longer than intended.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Cantrips can't? 09/21/2013 04:43 PM CDT
any chance cantrips can have their spell pre-reqs turned off for a while? or if not, any idea how long the preview is going to continue?

thanks

>The shadowling exclaims, "Mana neeto!"
Re: Cantrips can't? 09/21/2013 05:34 PM CDT
> any idea how long the preview is going to continue?

Until morale improves?

War Mage cantrips are currently automatic for everyone. You can't learn any of them, but you can use them all... moon mages probably use some entirely different, uniquely horrible system though :/
Re: Cantrips can't? 09/21/2013 07:04 PM CDT
>>War Mage cantrips are currently automatic for everyone. You can't learn any of them, but you can use them all... moon mages probably use some entirely different, uniquely horrible system though :/

Yes, yes they do. (I also know exactly how I would rework them into a unified system but I haven't decided if it's worth the time yet and convinced everyone else it's a good idea...)

IIRC the last time we did a magic rewrite they blanked out everyone's cantrips and then put books out in the guilds for people to relearn them from when the preview was turned off, but the preview didn't last this long.

Like many situations, at this point I think the best bet is to wait until UnCon and HE pass and we'll see where we're at with getting the next push of magic out (Which will let us turn the preview off) or if we need to put in a containment measure. Cantrips aren't influential enough to gameplay for me to be super worried about them.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Cantrips can't? 09/21/2013 09:15 PM CDT
>>(I also know exactly how I would rework them into a unified system but I haven't decided if it's worth the time yet and convinced everyone else it's a good idea...)

I'm pro-unified system just because it sounds like that can create an opportunity for other guilds to get cantrips and/or analogous magic cantrips.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Cantrips can't? 09/22/2013 12:38 AM CDT
>>I'm pro-unified system just because it sounds like that can create an opportunity for other guilds to get cantrips and/or analogous magic cantrips.

I've always wanted some cross-guild cantrips (for those who share a mana type).

But I agree that cantrips are pretty far down the totem pole of importance.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Cantrips can't? 07/10/2014 05:06 PM CDT
I still can't learn reimage or scorch. I know burn and locate. This is what happens when I try to learn them:

>read grim
You read the pages of the leatherbound grimoire...

Atop these pages are the words, "Lyodin Albir -- reimage."

A slew of diagrams and interesting pictures depicting stylized magical patterns adorns the pages, indicating this is a Fortune's Path cantrip. Something created long years ago by a roguish mage, Lyodin Albir will temporarily interfere with the Locate spell, causing the caster to see the wrong location.

A reference to the Locate spell implies that knowledge is necessary to learn this cantrip.
Roundtime: 4 seconds.
>study grim
You study the pages of the leatherbound grimoire...

There are too many references to the Locate spell, which you don't know, and so you fail to memorize the cantrip.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

>read grim
You read the pages of the leatherbound grimoire...

Atop these pages are the words, "Scorch -- label."

The descriptions and diagrams indicate that this is a cantrip, capable of labeling enchanting scrolls by using a mana-less variation of the Burn spell pattern. It notes that one must have knowledge of the Burn spell as well as significant comprehension of sigils.

To use this cantrip, one would chant it and then gesture at the appropriate scroll. It is necessary, of course, to read the scroll first so the mage is aware of which sigil is upon it.
Roundtime: 4 seconds.
>study grim
You study the pages of the leatherbound grimoire...

There are too many references to the Burn spell, which you don't know, and so you fail to memorize the cantrip.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.
Re: Cantrips can't? 07/10/2014 08:46 PM CDT
We know. We'll post once we get it fixed.

-Raesh