Teasers 10/23/2012 05:12 AM CDT
Just a few more teasers of some projects that had been waiting in the wings for 3.0:

>per sorc
You reach out with your senses and see glowing streams of cold, white Lunar mana available to serve as the foundation for Teleological Sorcery.
Roundtime: 2 sec.

>per mana
You reach out with your senses and see flaring streams of cold, white Lunar mana available for the Enlightened Geometry book.
You reach out with your senses and see flaring streams of cold, white Lunar mana available for the Moonlight Manipulation book.
You reach out with your senses and see flaring streams of cold, white Lunar mana available for the Perception book.
You reach out with your senses and see flaring streams of cold, white Lunar mana available for the Psychic Projection book.
Roundtime: 8 sec.

>per kat
Katamba is a waxing gibbous moon and is not visible. Although you can not see it, you can sense it should rise in about 1 anlas.
You are certain that Katamba is twelve degrees below the eastern horizon.
It is contributing a very strong amount of mana.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Teasers 10/23/2012 10:58 AM CDT
Nice!!
Aluriaz
Re: Teasers 10/24/2012 06:38 AM CDT
>>per kat
>Katamba is a waxing gibbous moon and is not visible. Although you can not see it, you can sense it should rise in about 1 anlas.
>You are certain that Katamba is twelve degrees below the eastern horizon.
>It is contributing a very strong amount of mana.
>Roundtime: 3 sec.

Thank god, I think I love you now.

I'd propose to you if you could code it so there was always one moon or another in the sky, but I'd be a lot happier than having to guess with a 30 minute margin of error when a moon is going to rise.

Lyzalian Farscribe

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Teasers 10/24/2012 08:23 AM CDT
>>I'd propose to you if you could code it so there was always one moon or another in the sky, but I'd be a lot happier than having to guess with a 30 minute margin of error when a moon is going to rise.

Even if I could, I wouldn't. It's too much an essential part of the Moon Mage experience.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Teasers 10/24/2012 09:28 AM CDT
Does sensing the degree when it's below the horizon take/teach a good bit of astrology?

-Coralin
Re: Teasers 10/24/2012 09:46 AM CDT
>>Does sensing the degree when it's below the horizon take/teach a good bit of astrology?

It's significantly harder than doing it when they're above the horizon :P It does teach somewhat better as well, but I doubt anyone would classify it as amazing.

-Raesh

Re: Teasers 10/24/2012 10:55 AM CDT
>>Does sensing the degree when it's below the horizon take/teach a good bit of astrology?

>>It does teach somewhat better as well,

To clarify, you're saying it will teach Astrology in addition to PP?

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Teasers 10/24/2012 11:13 AM CDT
It works the same way it does when a moon is above the horizon, it just requires more astrology and teaches somewhat more astrology.

-Raesh

Re: Teasers 10/24/2012 01:20 PM CDT
I see Enlightened Geometry showing up there... is that one of the Trader books? If so does that mean we will sense mana in relation to their spellbooks as well as ours once their magic goes live? Will that have any impact on anything? And will they sense our books too?

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

"Power is merely a stepping stone to more power."
Re: Teasers 10/24/2012 01:37 PM CDT
Ra-name of transduction.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Teasers 10/24/2012 02:16 PM CDT
>>Ra-name of transduction.

More or less. Transduction was massively overloaded as a spellbook, so there's been some significant reshuffling of what book spells are in. The more high profile ones include:

Shadowling and Shadow Servant --> Enlightened Geometry

CoL and Moonblade --> Moonlight Manipulation

TKT and TKS --> Psychic Projection

-Raesh

Re: Teasers 10/24/2012 04:02 PM CDT
This means, coincidentally, you have TM access in every standard spellbook except Perception.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Teasers 10/24/2012 04:04 PM CDT
Oh neat. I guess I missed the memo on that one. So totally a side question of a similar vein... Any examples of slot costs obviously Im not lookin for each spells for sure cost, just more of an example. Ive been excited for the spell reworking but Ive been really lost on how little or many slots each spell is gonna cost. I keep worrying Im gonna be droppin 3-4 slots per spell since ours are so unique. Regardless youve been doin some awesome thing Raesh, I know I for sure appreciate such active work on the guild.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: Teasers 10/24/2012 04:41 PM CDT
So far the only 4 slot spell in the Moon Mage arsenal is Mental Blast.

Most spells are 1-3 slots, under the design goal that two slots is a normal spell.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Teasers 10/24/2012 07:59 PM CDT
Very cool. That alleviates a good deal for me... so in essence we are going to keep roughly the same number of spells as we have now unless you go crazy taking the techniques. And is MB that powerful? I thought it lost its sleep capabilities and now just did stun and nerve damage. I hadnt heard whether it kept the item dropping but I did hear that dropped items return to the player after the stun... at least Im fairly sure thats what I heard.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani

Re: Teasers 10/24/2012 10:45 PM CDT
basically its a balancing act. figuring out what spells you Really want/need to train the various magic categories at your level, then figuring out how much they'll cost <spellslot wise>, and then figuring out which techs you need to get in order to utilize your spells - and train accordingly.

Trying out spells you've never had before, seeing what works for your character, then choose.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Teasers 10/26/2012 09:28 PM CDT
<<the only 4 slot spell in the Moon Mage arsenal is Mental Blast.>>

Can't wait to see that one.
Re: Teasers 10/27/2012 05:48 PM CDT
>>Can't wait to see that one.

I doubt you'll see much if any change. Mental blast does a lot more than just about any other single target disabler.

The Light is Crimson through the Darkness.
Re: Teasers 10/28/2012 12:45 PM CDT
>I doubt you'll see much if any change. Mental blast does a lot more than just about any other single target disabler.

Define a lot more.

Mental Blast - Stuns, causes nerve damage, chance to make target go unconscious. (3)
Arc Light - Causes balance hit, can cancel enemy targetted spell, can cause RT, can ignite naptha. (4)
Branch Break - Stuns, chance to make target to unconscious. (2)
Soul Sickness - Causes a long roundtime, can be stacked twice, high end success causes the roundtime and the opponent to kneel. (3)

???????????????
Re: Teasers 10/28/2012 01:09 PM CDT
>>Define a lot more.

You're using a list of what they do now and how those situations function. Not what they do in 3.0 and how those situations function.

When in doubt, http://elanthipedia.org/
Re: Teasers 10/28/2012 01:25 PM CDT
>You're using a list of what they do now and how those situations function. Not what they do in 3.0 and how those situations function.

In response to a comment about Mental Blast probably not changing (Meaning its current function, since it's an assumption and said person isn't comparing 3.0 abilities) and it doing more than any single target disabler.
Re: Teasers 10/28/2012 07:18 PM CDT

>>In response to a comment about Mental Blast probably not changing (Meaning its current function, since it's an assumption and said person isn't comparing 3.0 abilities) and it doing more than any single target disabler.

A numerical list of what things do doesn't actually equate to exactly what a spell can do or how valuable said functions are.

The nervous system damage done to a target impairs spell casting and reduces offensive capabilities.

The stun reduces balance, this causes the target to be easier to hit.

Your also missing something on the list. It causes enemies to drop their weapons and shields(with exception). Unlike most effects which do this the creature will not pick it back up.

Also MB vs Break Branch(BB). It clearly shows that you've never used the latter. Stun is short, double casting BB usually will not result in your knocking the enemy unconscious this effect is usually done by stunning through other means and then using BB. Either way the unconscious effect is extremely short. This is vastly different than MB's effect of "I just knocked you silly".

Though I'll give you that soul sickness maybe close to it in power, your still better off getting nailed with a maximum success SS then you are a maximum success MB

Re: Teasers 10/29/2012 04:55 PM CDT
>A numerical list of what things do doesn't actually equate to exactly what a spell can do or how valuable said functions are.

Sure there are status effects that are more valuable than others, but saying Mental Blast does a lot more than any spell is simply untrue. There are many spells that have as much, if not more, functionality.

>The nervous system damage done to a target impairs spell casting and reduces offensive capabilities.

>The stun reduces balance, this causes the target to be easier to hit.

I understand how nerve damage and stuns work. There are different spells that cause different status effects. Mental blast can stun which effects balance and making it easier to hit, the nerve damage also causes a defensive penalty and the two compound each other. Static Discharge also does that as well. Some status effects have multiple penalties associated with them, that doesn't mean the spell that causes them grants more utility.

>Your also missing something on the list. It causes enemies to drop their weapons and shields(with exception). Unlike most effects which do this the creature will not pick it back up.

True, I missed the weapon dropping part of it. Still doesn't blow every other spell out of the water like you're making it out to be.

>Also MB vs Break Branch(BB). It clearly shows that you've never used the latter. Stun is short, double casting BB usually will not result in your knocking the enemy unconscious this effect is usually done by stunning through other means and then using BB. Either way the unconscious effect is extremely short. This is vastly different than MB's effect of "I just knocked you silly".

Seems to be a lot of misunderstanding of the way Branch Break and even how being unconscious works, let me break it down for you. Max success on Branch Break is a 10 second stun, you only need to make it through Magic Resistance to follow up 2-3 seconds after to knock them out completely. In a scenario where you land a minimum 1-2 second stun and can't follow up with the knock out, the second stun will cause a higher success rate due to SvA saves calculating in balance allowing the subsequent cast to perform the knock out. Also, just so you know. The unconscious effect of Break Break lasts approximately 30 seconds if a target is untouched, something I would certainly not call "extremely short." There's a chance that actions performed on an unconscious target will bring them out of that status effect which affects both Mental Blast and Branch Break. I'm also not comparing Mental Blast to Branch Break in terms of being equal spells, I'm just educating you on how this spell actually works. The main point of the post is that there are plenty of spells that have as much if not more functionality then Mental Blast Does. Branch Break has a stun and an unconscious status effect, SICK has multiple effects, Arc Light does, so does Static Discharge.

>Though I'll give you that soul sickness maybe close to it in power, your still better off getting nailed with a maximum success SS then you are a maximum success MB

Yet both spells have multiple effects. Mental Blast doesn't do "a lot more"
Re: Teasers 10/30/2012 01:34 AM CDT

Fine, I'll concede my point of a lot more. However, slot cost isn't determined only by how many things a spell does, but also by how much value each affect is also worth. A spell that does 4 different things can have a lower slot cost than something that only does 2.

Also from the tentative spell list

Mental Blast
Esoteric Debilitation. Mind versus Will disabler that stuns the target, causes nervous system damage and can cause the target to drop what he is holding. If the target is a PC, any dropped objects will return to the target's hand after the stun has worn off.

http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Post:Tentative_Moon_Mage_M3_List_-_9/22/2010_-_20:34:55

Re: Teasers 10/30/2012 11:28 AM CDT
From what I understand the whole dropping items bit it the big deal. I believe there was talk in another thread that removing items from players possession even if temporarily was something the powers that be wanted to be a rare thing. Tack on stunning and nerve damage and that sounds about right. Though Id be interested to see if it changed any more. Honestly even though I imagine few of our spells got the treatment, Im really lookin forward to seein any messaging changes. Those are always my favorite parts of spell rewrites/workings.

~Tezirite Renzar Lorrani