Scorch Request 04/09/2012 12:45 PM CDT
Hi Raesh,

Can you take a look at the scorch cantrip? It fails more often then it succeeds and the timer for the cantrip is atrocious. I'd rather just not use it at this point instead trying to remember every 5 minutes to try scorch.

Or you could just make scribing a scroll automatically apply the sigil name. I like the second idea. It does seem a bit silly that you can scribe an image of Morleena but can't write "morleena" with a pen or something. LOL :)
Re: Scorch Request 04/09/2012 01:06 PM CDT
Scorch is that wonderful intersection of "Interacts with the old magic system and is unlikely to be updated until post 3.0 to see how magic settles out" and "Unlikely to be updated until the mech split is done and we see how Enchantment shakes out".

I'm under the (Perhaps wrong) impression that it isn't used much anyhow ever since sigil books came out.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Scorch Request 04/09/2012 04:46 PM CDT
>> I'm under the (Perhaps wrong) impression that it isn't used much anyhow ever since sigil books came out.

The issue with Sigilbooks is they are vastly more expensive then leather scrolls. Also when scribed they have a far lower quality then leather scrolls. It also takes a RT and a lot of slipping with sigilbooks to find the correct sigil. There is no shortcut as far as I know. If you have more then 1 sigil book this could lead to a substantial amount of RT from flipping and reading. In general its not faster then having 10 scrolls and reading all of them since there is no RT involved.

The benefit of course is 50 uses versus 20 uses of leather scrolls.

Leather scrolls are 20 uses with better quality and cost a lot less. When scorch works you can actually pick them by name "get phoenix scroll" which is infinite faster then flipping through sigilbooks or 30 scrolls.

All in all I would rather have 2 Leather scrolls(labelled) (2*20) versus 1 sigil page or 25 leather scrolls(labeled) instead of 1 sigilbook.

The reality is with sigilbooks you will HAVE to use an outside source(excel, notepad, etc) to keep track of all sigils versus leather scrolls(labeled) which you can use only internal tools to keep track. (rummage red pouch, blue pouch, etc)
Re: Scorch Request 04/09/2012 04:49 PM CDT
I still use scrolls. They are used in conjunction with sigilbooks. Don't remove this ability! I would like to see the timer removed though. I mean seriously, having to wait to scribe on a scroll? it makes it slow going when I can scribe out 15 scrolls in the time it takes to scorch the name into 1.
Re: Scorch Request 04/09/2012 04:54 PM CDT

I'd rather just see the need for scorch removed entirely. Scribing a scroll with phoenix should automatically make it a phoenix scroll and sigil books should keep an index page listing what sigil is on what page and approximately how many uses are left.
Re: Scorch Request 04/09/2012 05:15 PM CDT
>>There is no shortcut as far as I know.

> whisper sigil open
You whisper under your breath. In response your sigilbook opens.
Roundtime: 1 second.

> whisper sigil fifth
You whisper under your breath. The pages of your sigilbook begin to turn under their own volition.
The sigilbook stops at the fifth page.

whisper sigil close
You whisper under your breath. In response your sigilbook closes.
Re: Scorch Request 04/09/2012 05:37 PM CDT
>>>There is no shortcut as far as I know.
>> whisper sigil fifth

and to state the obvious. "How do you know what is on the fifth page of that particular sigilbook?" You either have a very good memory, or you have it written down in some outside source to "manage" it. There is a shortcut to a specific page, but...

> get phoenix scroll
You get a ragged Phoenix scroll from inside your spellbook case.

last I checked, that is still 1 step compared to 2 of yours, and no roundtime.

The tradeoff here is number of items you have to carry. Either way, I use both, but I just want to make sure that the GM's aren't under any illusions. Scrolls (and scorch) are very much used. If we want to make it an automatic while scribing...GREAT! makes perfect sense. Otherwise I would be happy by just removing the timer.

On a side note, it would be awesome if Sigilbooks actually listed the sigils they contained.
Re: Scorch Request 04/09/2012 06:33 PM CDT
I wasn't addressing the other deficiencies pointed out, just the shortcut to turning sigilbook pages. Since 'shortcut' was never specified explicitly, I just gave a shortcut for one of the steps that can be used in case the OP didn't know it was possible.
Re: Scorch Request 04/09/2012 07:27 PM CDT
Personally I made an index script as a player that would ID which sigilbook I was holding and print out the contents.

But I agree, the entire sigilbook/scroll system could use work -- but it's also a post New Enchantment sort of project.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Scorch Request 04/09/2012 07:59 PM CDT
This is why I loved the release of the different types of sigilbooks at the Guildfest. I just filled each one with the sigil that was on the cover. Yay KISS method

Nikpack
Re: Scorch Request 04/12/2012 07:41 AM CDT
"The tradeoff here is number of items you have to carry. "

And that with scrolls you have to deal with scorch.

-Serc

""It's a hell of a thing, killing some text. Take away all the numbers and letters and punctuation it's got, and all the numbers and letters and punctuation it's ever gonna have." -- Clint Eastwood, Unforgiven."-- Bahb.