Prev_page Previous 1 3
Blarg 10/05/2008 02:07 AM CDT
Wait. I took my sig off here because this is clearly not a DR post.

Mozzik is making a point to argue scientific realm here. Aside from some vagaries in his language, I'd say he's mostly spot on. Because the posts he's responding to seem to have been deleted, and I'm only going off some quotes, I can't really respond with anything more in depth then:
Yes, energy =! mass. Stars do NOT release the full EM spectrum in energy.

If you want to get into nucleosynthesis, I suggest you do a bit of reading on the subject before spouting off. Energy =! mass, and e=mc^2 is NOT what 'set the big bang into swing'.

Because no one has mentioned proton-proton chains or the CNO cycle for hydrogen fusion, or the alpha processes for helium fusion, i'm inclined to believe theres a general lack of a accomplished physicists here (i'm not claiming to be one).

In short, Starlight sphere can do cold damage as a reflection of the 'cold vacuum of spaces void' if it wants. Just as a magical braid of aether can do slice damage. Or 'unstable teleportation energy' can do internal damage.
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 02:17 AM CDT
>Because the posts he's responding to seem to have been deleted, and I'm only going off some quotes

Oh were they now? For what it's worth I quoted all the ones re: science in full.

And yeah, chemist here, not a physicist. So most of what I do know of the topic is approached from a different direction, so a lot of that was from P100 and P200 (Thank you Dave Griffiths! Sorry I didn't pay more attention in class...). Never actually worked on anything fusion related... they're a bit more rare at college than fission reactors :)

While we're on the topic... looking for grad programs, anyone know of a good inorganic program? Specifically metallurgy?

-- Mozzik, the Fateweaver

Caelumia says, "I love the tools even more."
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 06:05 AM CDT
<<While we're on the topic... looking for grad programs, anyone know of a good inorganic program? Specifically metallurgy?

Hmmm, I think what you might be looking for is a good materials science program. Unfortunately I'm analytic and don't know so much about other schools outside of there.

Having said that, check out US News and World Annual Rankings for a good general smattering of where you should be looking. http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/che/inorganic might be of most interest, but don't take it as the bible. I found it better to try and find professor's whose research interested me and applied to those schools. Schools with more professors get more points int he decision process.

And because it's been mentioned I've been dying to say, Einstein's contribution to blackbody radiation was far more important than relativity.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 06:27 AM CDT
This is true. Resolution of the ultraviolet catastrophe wasn't a small deal.

That said, yes, more or less I'm looking for a mat sci program. But not all mat sci programs are by any means equal.

For example one program I'm looking at for mat sci is http://internship.uoregon.edu/

Note however the four paths that has are semiconductors (Which around here should read as "Sell your soul to Intel. Maybe get a decent wage for it"), Optical materials, Polymers and coatings, and organometallics.

The program sounded a lot more appealing until I looked at that, and noticed that significant lack of metals in any of those programs, though I still intend to look into it (It's appealing for a number of other reasons and maybe some of the other paths are more flexible).

I might just roll with http://ne.oregonstate.edu/prospective/graduate_student_index.html

Though that would involve becoming a Beaver and I've always been a Ducks fan, along with most of my friends and family. I'd be an outcast :(

However I by no means actually expect to pick my grad program based off the DR forums heh.

Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 08:54 AM CDT
Go to UCSB and sacrifice a couple us world news rankings to enjoy yourself.

I used to do mat sci but I switched to mech e because I'm not smart enough to do research.

-Strk
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 09:07 AM CDT
"Go to UCSB and sacrifice a couple us world news rankings to enjoy yourself."

Stop reading my mind. I'm applying to UCSB for bio this coming year. UCSD, Scripps... The SoCal area, principally for the proximity to ocean.

Player of Mozz, we should talk.
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 01:48 PM CDT
>>Though that would involve becoming a Beaver and I've always been a Ducks fan, along with most of my friends and family. I'd be an outcast :(

Funny you should mention that. I've looked at UO for graduate programs before, but never bothered to look at OSU. Beaver prejudice dies hard.

Unfortunately, not going to be any help beyond "Woo, Ducks." My field is a little different than yours.

-Armifer
"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms-- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."
-Viktor Frankl
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 02:34 PM CDT
They do indeed.

Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 03:06 PM CDT
Yeah, most of the chemical world has passed on using metals. It's all the four areas you named. Maybe what you may need is a good blacksmith apprenticeship.

I'm just excited to hear of other chemists that play DR.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 03:20 PM CDT
I've considered picking up blacksmithing as a hobby.

However to say that the chemical world has passed on metals is not a very true statement. To say the chemical academic world has... is perhaps more true.

There's still a vast number of alloys that haven't been characterized, and all sorts of applications for metals. Super conductors, semi conductors, memory metals and countless other unique properties, aside from it still being the backbone of a great deal of construction with ever increasing challenges as we increase the scale of the things we build, and the tolerances we require.

That said, yes, a lot of the inorganic industry is going in the directions mentioned, but as inorganics as a whole were for a long time pushed to the wayside in favor of organics (part of the reason I like inorganics more I suspect).

Ah well... I may just end up going nuclear. There's a lot of important work to be done in that field in the near future, and I'm very pleased to see the Democratic line starting to embrace the idea of nuclear power and recycled fuel and so forth.

Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 03:44 PM CDT
>> I've looked at UO for graduate programs before, but never bothered to look at OSU. Beaver prejudice dies hard.

I'm fairly sure if I went to OSU regardless of the excuse my family would die of shame. It's not even a bad school by any means, I've been to their campus and I like it there well enough. Half of my family doesn't even watch college football and most of them never went to UO. It's just one of those Oregon things.

I think this is second only to our irrational vitriolic hate of Californians. Well, I guess you can justify that one pretty easily, actually.

Rev. Reene

"Enlightenment is like the moon reflected on the water. The moon does not get wet, nor is the water broken. Although its light is wide and great...The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass."
- Dogen
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 04:09 PM CDT
>>I think this is second only to our irrational vitriolic hate of Californians. Well, I guess you can justify that one pretty easily, actually.

Anyone would have vitriolic hatred of California after living near it for awhile.

-Armifer
"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms-- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."
-Viktor Frankl
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 04:13 PM CDT
>Anyone would have vitriolic hatred of California after living near it for awhile.

Or in it... but I'm feeling much better now.

Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 04:15 PM CDT
I'm actually not sure if living in it was worse or better than living near it.

Rev. Reene

"Enlightenment is like the moon reflected on the water. The moon does not get wet, nor is the water broken. Although its light is wide and great...The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass."
- Dogen
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 04:20 PM CDT
> I'm actually not sure if living in it was worse or better than living near it.

Less shock, more awe as the mind is numbed by constant exposure.

I never could sleep nights either while I lived there, but that's ok. Since I started playing DR, I got enough rapid eye movements to catch all the scrolling text. And since REM is the most important part of sleep, I really wasn't missing out on much.

Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 04:21 PM CDT
When you're in California you are immersed in the Californiality, thus you do not notice it so much. You need to at least get north of Redding before normal Human judgment returns.

-Armifer
-Viktor Frankl
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 04:35 PM CDT
I <3 this thread.

Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 04:44 PM CDT
This must explain a lot about me.

Lifelong Californian (SF & Bay Area in general) and love it. Never much understood the distaste folks up in Oregon seem to feel toward us though, to be honest.

"Now won't you tell me if you like what you've just heard?
And if you think the point I'm driving at absurd,
Well there's no need to tell me how or tell me why,
But I need to know the reason not to try."
- John Popper, Onslaught
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 04:48 PM CDT
Californians are fine as long as they stay in Cal. It's when they come up to Oregon en mass, and stay, that there becomes a problem.

Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 04:53 PM CDT
>Lifelong Californian (SF & Bay Area in general) and love it.

Yay. Sunnyvale for about 15 years, Monterey for 3.

A few months ago I moved out of state and I'm still smiling.

About them Oregonians and Washingtoners, I never did get them much either. I knew a lot of the Redding+ folks that took jaunts up across the border to abuse the whole sales tax thing, so I'd imagine that being the source.

At any rate, I left them and the entire coast behind in my wake, mwahahaha.

Didn't drop any beams... didn't look back...

Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 04:56 PM CDT
>>Never much understood the distaste folks up in Oregon seem to feel toward us though, to be honest.

My father insists it's because Californians suck at driving.

Realistically, it's more the economic inequality. The popular fear in Oregon, Montana, and to a lesser extent Washington, is that they're the first targets in mind for rich Californians that like to throw their money around, buy up land, and otherwise muck up a good thing.

Like many stereotypes, it starts with a grain of truth. I've been involved (albeit distantly) in two different Californian firms buying real estate and then resorting to dirty pool in an attempt to push the locals out.

-Armifer
-Viktor Frankl
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 05:07 PM CDT
I'm just amused that our colleges frequently have more people from Cal then from OR.

Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 05:10 PM CDT
>>Californians are fine as long as they stay in Cal. It's when they come up to Oregon en mass, and stay, that there becomes a problem.

Understandable, certainly (that that would agitate folks).

>>I knew a lot of the Redding+ folks that took jaunts up across the border to abuse the whole sales tax thing, so I'd imagine that being the source.

Hopefully that's not that big a deal, since I'll 'abuse' a lower sales tax opportunity whenever and however possible. I'm strong with the Libertarian side of the force.

>>My father insists it's because Californians suck at driving.

I concur, and the further south in the state you go the worse it gets... Not to mention they steal a lot of our water because someone decided to build a metropolis in the middle of, essentially, a desert. Ever notice how on the west coast it's always those further north hating on those further south? heh

>>Realistically, it's more the economic inequality. The popular fear in Oregon, Montana, and to a lesser extent Washington, is that rich Californians like to throw their money around, buy up land, and otherwise muck up a good thing.

I'd say there's more than a grain of truth to that, actually. The unfortunate other side of my above-stated Libertarian ideals is that it assumes individuals and businesses have a sense of morals, reasoned judgment and self restraint... pipe dreams in most cases, certainly.

Oh, and I <3 this thread too.

"Now won't you tell me if you like what you've just heard?
And if you think the point I'm driving at absurd,
Well there's no need to tell me how or tell me why,
But I need to know the reason not to try."
- John Popper, Onslaught
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 05:11 PM CDT
> Realistically, it's more the economic inequality.

I listened to a lot of talk radio over the last three years. There was a continuous feed of commercials about incorporating out of state for tax purposes and asset security.

There were also a lot of people doing the living 50% + 1 day of the year in other nearby states for income purposes.

On the broader state-wide economic front, for as many of the rich Californians that we seemed to have, we also really can't keep our state afloat. I started hearing talk yesterday about the Governator asking for some serious economic assistance.

If I were in Oregon, Nevada, or Arizona right now, I'd be looking for a way to anchor myself down before Sacramento hits critical mass.

Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 05:17 PM CDT
>>Not to mention they steal a lot of our water because someone decided to build a metropolis in the middle of, essentially, a desert.

At least up here, the water wars do not enter public consciousness as often as they should. I think most people have the naive hope that LA will either find "other people" to buy water from, or will go thirsty.

LA has demonstrated time and time again they will shatter lives, break laws, and waste millions to keep the water flowing. I can't say I blame them.

-Armifer
-Viktor Frankl
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 05:18 PM CDT
To be fair OR drivers can be annoying too (I know a lot of people from college from all over the country who can't stand our drivers here). You tend to get into a lot of "polite offs" where, sure, they're being nice and yielding, but they also aren't actually following the law and so it's sorta a game of chicken of who will actually decide to go first, and the end result is a lot of uncertainty in how they're actually going to move.

As for sales tax... that's the entire reason Jantzen Beach exists if you ask me, to allow WA residents to get out of sales tax. In return they sell all sorts of illegal fireworks just a few feet over the boarder.

Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 05:26 PM CDT
>>Californians are fine as long as they stay in Cal. It's when they come up to Oregon en mass, and stay, that there becomes a problem.<<

You've all probably heard this one before but I figured I'd post it anyway.

How many Californians does it take to change a lightbulb?

25. 1 to change it and 24 to "relate to the
experience."

How many Oregonians does it take to change a lightbulb?

36. 1 to change it and 35 to chase away all the Californians who drove up to "relate to the experience."

-=Dirge kicks ash!=-

"Traders do not shriek like little girls and worry about magic cooties." GM Armifer
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 05:32 PM CDT
A Californian, an Oregonian, and a Texan are sitting around the campfire. The Texan pulls out a full bottle of tequila, takes a swig, throws the bottle in the air, and shoots it to smithereens with a six-shooter. The Californian turns to him and asks, "Now why'd you go and do that?" The Texan replies, "Well, where I come from, we have plenty of that."

Not to be outdone, the Californian then takes out a bottle of vintage Napa Valley wine, uncorks it, takes a sip, tosses it in the air, draws his pistol, and shoots the bottle to pieces. The Texan turns to him and asks, "Now why'd you go and do that? That was a very expensive bottle of wine." And the Californian replies, "Well, where I come from, we have plenty of that."

Having seen all this, the Oregonian pulls out a cold bottle of Bridgeport Blue Heron ale, opens it up, sucks the whole bottle down, throws the bottle in the air, draws his gun, shoots the Californian, and catches the bottle. Horror-stricken, the Texan turns to him and shrieks, "Why'd you do that!?" The Oregonian replies, "Where I come from, we got plenty of those... but the bottle's worth a nickel."

Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 05:33 PM CDT
>> LA has demonstrated time and time again they will shatter lives, break laws, and waste millions to keep the water flowing. I can't say I blame them.

This is actually once again a local issue for me, even though I'm in Minnesota now (and missing the hell out of the Pacific Northwest).

The southwestern states and California in particular want to build a massive water pipeline to one of the Great Lakes, and they are pushing it very, very hard.

Needless to say quite a few people up here are not happy about that. I mean, look at what they did to the Colorado River. :\

Rev. Reene

- Dogen
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 05:45 PM CDT
YAY AREAAAA

-Strk
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 05:47 PM CDT
>When you're in California you are immersed in the Californiality, thus you do not notice it so much. You need to at least get north of Redding before normal Human judgment returns.

One of my Army buddies was from Redding, and... well, let me just put it this way. I grew up in Indiana and he was far more Redneck than I am.

I also lived in Monterey for a year and a half and I thought it was great. Then again, I pretty much avoided talking to any locals the entire time.

~ Sage Kougen Aensworth, Star Shaper of the Compact

Ruea says in Ilithic, "At least you're very handsome. That makes the fact that you're always right far easier to live with"
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 05:48 PM CDT
Monterey for a year in a half. There for language school?

-Serc

"Moon Mages have already been given some of the most ridiculously powerful magic in the game, third only to Warrior Mages and Barbarians" -Armifer
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 05:53 PM CDT
Yah I'm not sure I woulda drawn that boarder at Redding. More likely Ashland. Though to be fair, drift too far off I5 almost anywhere in OR and you're back in redneck land.

Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 05:54 PM CDT
A guy from cali and a guy from oregon walk into a bar. The guy from oregon starts totally ripping into CA, telling several jokes not unlike those heard in this thread. After a verbal barrage of well over 45 minutes, the oregon dude says "hey, you guys must have lots of mean jokes about oregon too!" The cali guy says "No, we pretty much forget you guys exist until our rich prep school kids need to go to college and can't get into the good UCs."

-Strk
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 05:56 PM CDT
kystrk is a jerk

Rev. Reene

- Dogen
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 09:09 PM CDT
>Monterey for a year in a half. There for language school?

Arabic.

~ Sage Kougen Aensworth, Star Shaper of the Compact

Ruea says in Ilithic, "At least you're very handsome. That makes the fact that you're always right far easier to live with"
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 09:16 PM CDT
> Monterey for a year in a half.

T:RFNA IA AOI

Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 10:41 PM CDT
>>T:RFNA IA AOI

I call masked fundamentalist vulgarity. No, wait. It's linguistic elitism. That's acceptable on these boards.

I know way too many Californians (who I happened to grow up with by pure chance) who have taken off like rockets away from the state. I haven't heard much from the ones who stayed.

I'm not entirely convinced they're still "all there", if you know what I mean.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 10:47 PM CDT
This has gotta be the worst conflict thread EVAR

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Blarg 10/05/2008 10:48 PM CDT
Pretty much every resident of CA I knew while I lived there (myself included) scrambled in subtle or obvious ways to associate themselves with some other damn place. I did not once meet someone who could be considered a "proud Californian." I'm sure they exist, you just didn't find them very often in LA.

Rev. Reene

- Dogen
Prev_page Previous 1 3